PDA

View Full Version : How do you Break Polymorph?

Dr. Cliché
2013-11-23, 05:05 AM
I suppose I could also ask 'why is polymorph broken?'

I understand that it's a very versatile spell, but I'm just curious if that's the only reason why it's considered broken, or if it goes beyond that.

i.e. are there some good creatures to polymorph yourself into that really break the spell?

Eldariel
2013-11-23, 05:13 AM

I understand that it's a very versatile spell, but I'm just curious if that's the only reason why it's considered broken, or if it goes beyond that.

i.e. are there some good creatures to polymorph yourself into that really break the spell?

Eh, it's just numerically too strong. When you first get it, you can turn someone into Remorhaz (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/remorhaz.htm) for instance, which has 26 Strength (equal to a raging Orc Barbarian with 18 Str on char creation) & insane size bonuses to grabbing. And you can stack that with any other buffs and it doesn't matter if the recipient had 8 Strength or whatever normally.

Then you can burrow and stuff. And you have great flying forms, great swimming forms, a form for everything. Polymorph Thread (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=519.0) from MinMax is a good source for this stuff. And the forms get stronger and more versatile as you get more HD. It's really just it gives too many too big different bonuses and options for a single spell.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-11-23, 05:24 AM
It basically boils down to this: whatever situation arises, there's a polymorph form for that. Seriously, any situation can be solved by the right form.

Though if you -really- want to break it, you need the feat assume supernatural ability from savage species.

molten_dragon
2013-11-23, 05:30 AM

It lets you do so many different things with one spell, any one of which is often better than a spell specifically designed to do that thing.

For example, polymorph can give you flight, but with a much higher move speed or maneuverability than fly offers.

It can give you an AC bonus much higher than mage armor, barkskin, or shield of faith.

It can boost your combat abilities better than most any other spell designed to do so.

It can give you any mode of movement in the game.

It can give you free feats and skill bonuses.

And it's not limited to doing one of those things at a time.