PDA

View Full Version : Help building a boss

Hyena
2013-11-23, 11:13 AM
Players of the "Carriages and Dissidents" campaign, stop reading right here or I'll know.

I need a boss for an E6 party consisting of blaster battle sorcerer, sneak attack based rogue/swordsage, melee cleric and a barbarian.
The catch being that boss must fight solo with the entire party, be durable and strong enough to challenge them and he also must not be a spellcaster. Being a ToB-class is perfectly fine. On the plus side, he is extremely wealthy and getting magic items is not a problem for him.
Personally, I can't build such a bad guy, but I believe in you, guys.

For those of you who played Assassins Creed, bonus point if you build Haytham Kenway.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-11-23, 12:26 PM
Do you want this to be a regular guy with class levels, or a larger humanoid opponent, or a monstrous opponent?

What limitations on items are in place? The E6 list with nothing that has a higher default caster level of 6, or anything that can be created in E6 considering Artificers and monsters with spellcasting and the item caster level errata?

PCs in E6 get a reduced point buy for level adjustment, but opponents don't use LA, they use CR. I'd make him a variant Half-Fiend (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630x&page=1) based on either a Kelvezu demon in MM2. This would get him something like Str +4, Dex +6, Con +2, Int +2, Cha +2, +3 natural armor, flight without using wings, DR 5 for either Cold Iron or Good your choice (per the update booklet), SR 16, resistances, immunities, and spell-like abilities, for +2 CR. His spell-like abilities at 6th level would still include Darkness 3/day and Desecrate 1/day as a Kelvezu gets both, but replace Unholy Blight with Greater Invisibility 1/day as they're equal level and that is one of its signature abilities. For the base creature on that, consider an Aasimar or even a Zenythri (MM2, Str +2, Dex +2, Wis +2, Cha -2, True Strike 1/day, +2 Balance and Survival). A Planetouched race allows him to take the feat Magic in the Blood (PGtF), which makes all of his 1/day racial spell-like abilities usable 3/day instead, including those from Half-Fiend.

For class levels, go Swordsage 1/ Warblade 1/ Crusader 1/ Warblade 3. Feats should be Magic in the Blood, Darkstalker, Extra Granted Maneuver, and Martial Stance: Assassin's Stance. Extra E6 feats can be spent on whatever else you think he should have to fight in the style you want him to use.

- Swordsage maneuvers/stances known: Wolf Fang Strike, Sudden Leap, Stone Bones, Charging Minotaur, Counter Charge, Shadow Blade Technique; Child of Shadow, Assassin's Stance. Maneuvers readied: Sudden Leap, Counter Charge, Charging Minotaur, Shadow Blade Technique.
- Warblade maneuvers/stances known: Moment of Perfect Mind, Steel Wind, Douse the Flames Iron Heart Surge, Wall of Blades, Battle Leader's Charge; Hunter's Sense, Pearl of Black Doubt. Maneuvers Readied: Moment of Perfect Mind, Iron Heart Surge, Wall of Blades, Battle Leader's Charge (always Dive Attack).
- Crusader maneuvers/stances known: Crusader's Strike, Vanguard Strike, Leading the Attack; Martial Spirit. Maneuvers Readied: Crusader's Strike, Vanguard Strike, Leading the Attack. Note you can only learn a given maneuver/stance once, so he's only able to learn three Crusader maneuvers.
- With Extra Granted Maneuver he'll be granted all three Crusader maneuvers fresh every round, so he can use any of them every round. You could even put Leading the Attack on Swordsage or Warblade so he only knows two Crusader maneuvers, and give him Martial Study at 6th for any 2nd level maneuver you would want him to be able to use every round, such as Battle Leader's Charge or Mountain Hammer.

Items: Anything from this list (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851) that can be obtained in E6. Probably a +1 Smoking Ritiik from Frostburn which requires EWP, but note it doesn't state that any action is required to remove it as part of an attack, the only action required in removing it from a hooked creature is if they're trying to avoid the extra damage.

Hyena
2013-11-23, 01:30 PM
Yes, medium humanoid with class levels is exactly what I want. Though, flying half-fiendish aasimar was not exactly what I had in mind. On the other hand, DR, SR, bonuses to stats and natural armor are too good to pass.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-11-23, 02:36 PM
Note that if you give him Str 16 base, +4 half-fiend, +2 Zenythri, for a total of 22, with a two-handed Ritiik, using a dive attack with Battle Leader's Charge, his damage will look something like this:
Attack +14, 2d8+40 average 49, target makes a Reflex save DC ~59 or gets hooked, he gets a free trip attempt if they fail, if he has Improved Trip he makes another attack roll to deal 1d8+10 damage, he then pulls the Ritiik out of them for damage equal to the initial hit (average 49). That's about 112 damage to a single target in one round, or 133 with Assassin's Stance.

Also giving him Greater Invisibility 3/day for 6 rounds at a time may make the fight a bit one-sided, especially with Darkstalker to thwart Scent, Tremorsense, Blindsense, Blindsight, etc.

Thrawn183
2013-11-23, 04:29 PM
You say fight solo, would you be willing for the boss to have mindless servants?

I'm thinking a villain based around taking people alive and then using a sacrificial dagger (or other item along those lines) to kill people and raise them as undead even though he isn't a caster.

I mention this because you can have a much tougher encounter when an enemy is dealing subdual damage. If you drop people they don't die, they only get killed if the party gets wiped or is forced to retreat and leave them behind, and even then you could give them chances to escape before being ritually sacrificed. Additionally, zombies have buckets of hp but not much damage output, so your PC's will get to really dish out the damage before ending the encounter.

Hyena
2013-11-24, 02:37 AM
Nope. The whole point is that he's the final boss of the arc, and when he's facing the party, he's got nothing - his organization is destroyed, his resources are stolen, and now the only thing he has to throw on them is himself. Servants ruin the effect, even mindless.
Personally, I thought about swordsage 6 with - he can teleport with one of their maneuvers*, which can help him hide in stealth again and again and sneak attack party to death. But the point is, swordsages are not exactly known for their superior defences and high hit dice, which means he would be pretty fragile.

* - I could refluff it's as a smoke bomb or something like that