PDA

View Full Version : SW D20 revised: "tanky" level 9 character build ideas?

gomipile
2013-11-23, 02:01 PM
I have absolutely zero specific familiarity with D20 Star Wars, let alone the Revised Core Rulebook edition. I have been given the opportunity to join an ongoing campaign which is using those rules, and I'd like to make a "tanky" character for it.

I mean "tanky" in the sense of being able to survive having a lot more damaging attacks thrown at the character than the average character could. I do not need or want any kind of "taunt" mechanic.

In D&D 3.5 terms, I'd prefer that builds for this provide a "tier 3" level of versatility above and beyond their tankiness, if possible. I consider it an absolute requirement that the character be excellent at at least one party role if versatility is impossible, though.

So, I'm off to start reading the D20 Star Wars Revised Core Rulebook. I appreciate any suggestions you all can offer.

BWR
2013-11-23, 05:59 PM
Hooo boy. It's been a while since I used the RCR.

You can try to max out DR and have a lot of Wounds and Vitality. High Con Soldier/Elite Trooper with Heavy Battlearmor.
Problem is armor is pretty sucky in RCR. Yes, it soaks Wound damage but you take such a penalty to Dex and ACP, and it's hard to pick up armor proficiency above Light without using feats (Elite Trooper gives them to you, though). If area effects are common, you might want some levels as Scout to get Evasion (Scout 6/Soldier2, Elite trooper 1). You'd be good at shooting things (better the more levels of solider you have), but Scout does give you a lot of skill points, the ability to take 10 on a specific skill and a few other minor boosts.

You could play a melee type who focuses on increasing Defense. Dodge is as useful as it is in 3.5, but if you pick up Martial Arts, you can get Defensive Martial Arts for a +2 bonus to Defense. Some judicious multiclassing to increase your Defense score as much as possible. Combat Expertise and Superior Expertise if you are using Hero's Guide and you can be hard to hit.
The Master Duelist functions basically the same as the D&D Duelist. You should have one or two skill points per level to dedicate to utility skills.

You can play the Loyal Protector PrC from Hero's Guide. Not really much by the way of soaking ability (and unfortunately only d8 VD) but you are good at preventing other people from getting hurt and the last couple of levels see some increase in durability, including Diehard. You will likely have some skill points to dedicate to one, maybe two skills.

If you play a Jedi, play Jedi Guardian, take the Lightsaber Defense skill tree and max out Enhance Ability to buff your Dex, then go Force Warrior (which gives you Defensive Roll). Since one tends to want to sink all skill points in Force Skills, you can always find a useful non-combat one to focus on, and use the rest on combat skills.

For all builds, Toughness is nice. It's a sucky feat in 3.5 but it's one of the few ways you can increase your Wounds, and I've seen it save PC's lives.