PDA

View Full Version : the best.5 exalted and vile feats

CyberThread
2013-11-23, 02:42 PM
To you what are the very best vile and exalted feats

Vanitas
2013-11-23, 02:48 PM
I like Nymph's Kiss, Nemesis and Touch of Golden Ice.

eggynack
2013-11-23, 02:54 PM
Exalted wild shape is pretty strong, partially because it lets you become a blink dog, and mostly because you can take a on a celestial version of any creature you can wild shape into, and in so doing gain their extraordinary and supernatural abilities.

Angelalex242
2013-11-23, 03:53 PM
I like renaming Nymph's kiss to Celestial kiss...my characters are more likely to get 'very friendly' with a deva then a fey.

But that's a Fluff thing.

Nymph's kiss also makes Vow of Chastity even worse, as common sense suggests they are mutually exclusive.

Big Fau
2013-11-23, 04:01 PM
For Vile feats, Obesse is really good (perhaps why it wasn't reprinted) and there are a number of good ones in Elder Evils.

IIRC, Blessing of the Godless is a vile feat. If it is, that's an extremely useful one.

bekeleven
2013-11-23, 04:02 PM
Nimbus of light hasn't been mentioned. It's pretty nice if you're gaining bonus exalted, although I wouldn't blow a feat on it normally.

With regards to vile, some of the deformities are nice.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-11-23, 04:11 PM
Top 5 Exalted feats:

Nymph's Kiss. +1 to saves against spells. +2 to Charisma-related checks. +1 skill point/level. Boning a nymph. Any of those would arguably be worth a feat all by themselves-- taken together, and it's a great choice by any objective standard you care to name.
Words of Creation. Also known as "make Bardic Music relevant all by itself." Doubling the granted bonuses is a huge help, even with a fairly harsh reading of stacking rules. Oh, and free Extend on (creation) spells isn't half bad either.
Exalted Wild Shape. Besides the silly mobility of the blink dog's free-action, at-will dimension door, you can add the Celestial template to any normal animal form. DR/Magic means your claws can bypass DR/Magic, and while HD+5 SR isn't the best... it's still a free boost to an already-powerful ability.
Intuitive Attack. While probably intended as a monk feat, for which it's pretty useful, it's a wholly unnecessary boost for Druids, whose Wisdom will likely be better than the Strength of a lot of their alternate forms.
Touch of Golden Ice. No no, we swear these aren't poisons. Combine this with Intuitive Attack, and younder Monk is actually looking a bit less MAD. A DC 14 save is pretty low, but if you're making a half-dozen attacks a round, that natural 1 is going to come up a lot more often.

Honorable mentions: Exalted Animal Companion, Nemesis, Stigmata on a binder with Naebarius, Resounding Blow/Quell the Profane on a crit-fisher build, Nonlethal Substitution.

Vhaidara
2013-11-23, 04:24 PM
One of my friends took nymphs kiss, and we tried to get him to make it so that, instead of lovers, he was pretending to be the gay best friend, and then got friend zoned.

eggynack
2013-11-23, 04:26 PM
@Grod: I think exalted animal companion may be better than intuitive attack, primarily because you can use exalted animal companion to give the animal companion VoP. Intuitive attack may be better without that factor though.

lsfreak
2013-11-23, 05:32 PM
Deformity (madness) takes a permanent -4 to Wisdom to gain immunity to mind-affecting, and 1/minute you get half your hit dice to a Will save as an immediate action. Insane Defiance lets you take 1 Wis damage to redirect a mind-affecting spell or SLA to a new target, who takes a -4 on the save roll.

Deformity (tall) gets you extra reach.

Dark Speech is gamebreaking. It's not a wightocalypse, or exponentially-reproducing shadows, that ends the world. It's some dumb 3rd-level caster who takes a swarm of insects and turns them into an evil 100th-level sorcerer.

herrhauptmann
2013-11-23, 05:44 PM
Dark Speech is gamebreaking. It's not a wightocalypse, or exponentially-reproducing shadows, that ends the world. It's some dumb 3rd-level caster who takes a swarm of insects and turns them into an evil 100th-level sorcerer.

How does it turn a swarm of insects into an evil sorcerer?
I checked three versions of the feat and didn't see that.

Dark Whispers is good on certain builds, the parallel feat filthy outburst doesn't seem too useful (especially with the higher cha drain).

Exalted feats?
Nemesis, the broader you can make a favored enemy selection, the better. Nemesis: Arcanists is especially good.
Touch of golden ice. Would be broken if you could channel that touch through your weapon.
Sacred vow and vow of obedience are the best vow feats if you need them as prereqs. Their power is low, but their ability to screw with the game is less than it would be for say Vow of Nonviolence or Purity.

Karnith
2013-11-23, 06:00 PM
How does it turn a swarm of insects into an evil sorcerer?
It can happen when you instill a hivemind in a group of vermin or animals, as described in the Book of Vile Darkness, p. 34. You generally can't abuse hiveminds too badly with Dark Speech, though, because the really crazy stuff (e.g. swarms with arbitrarily large Sorcerer casting) generally requires more creatures in a swarm than are allowed by the Dark Unity use of Dark Speech.
Alternately, you could abusively mix BoVD and FC1 Dark Speech rules
To do that, you'd need Verminlord levels.

Zombulian
2013-11-23, 08:22 PM
Seeing as it's been mentioned in seemingly quite a few threads recently, the Exalted Companion + Vow of Poverty combo seems to be well regarded.

AmberVael
2013-11-23, 08:37 PM
For Vile feats, Obese is really good (perhaps why it wasn't reprinted) and there are a number of good ones in Elder Evils.

IIRC, Blessing of the Godless is a vile feat. If it is, that's an extremely useful one.

Blessing of the Godless is in fact Vile. Also quite handy. Immediate action healing is the main draw to it, though the shield of the godless rite could be useful.

Chosen of Evil can be good if you have enough vile feats (perhaps from worshiping an Elder Evil?), and some way to mitigate con damage. Applying a relatively rare bonus to attacks, skills, and saving throws as an immediate action is well worth your time- just a lot of stuff it can be used for.

Deformity (Tongue) is not a bad choice either. 30ft blindsense can be useful.

Manly Man
2013-11-23, 08:38 PM
My favorite Exalted feat has to be Righteous Wrath. If you get a DM who's just lenient enough, you can finally have a true Friendly Berserker. Just ask if stuff that applies to Rage applies to Frenzy, and voila.

lsfreak
2013-11-23, 11:28 PM
Alternately, you could abusively mix BoVD and FC1 Dark Speech rules

How is that abusive? The FC1/EE feat replaces the BoVD version, as they have the same name (and further do very similar things, unlike say Improved Shield Bash, so it's hard to even argue it's not intended to replace it). But still refers to the BoVD hivemind rules, unless there's been an update to those. Afaik there are no hivemind rules except in BoVD, so the FC1/EE version of Dark Speech still refers to them.

Coidzor
2013-11-24, 02:08 AM
My favorite Exalted feat has to be Righteous Wrath. If you get a DM who's just lenient enough, you can finally have a true Friendly Berserker. Just ask if stuff that applies to Rage applies to Frenzy, and voila.

It seems like such was the intent, unless there's some kind of feat that makes it impossible to distinguish friend from foe. I think there might've been a dragon magazine flaw along those lines, or at least made it difficult to refrain from attacking allies...

Karnith
2013-11-24, 08:40 AM
How is that abusive? The FC1/EE feat replaces the BoVD version, as they have the same name (and further do very similar things, unlike say Improved Shield Bash, so it's hard to even argue it's not intended to replace it). But still refers to the BoVD hivemind rules, unless there's been an update to those. Afaik there are no hivemind rules except in BoVD, so the FC1/EE version of Dark Speech still refers to them.
Here are my problems with it:
It relies on unupdated 3.0 content (BoVD Hiveminds) that doesn't play well with 3.5 rules. Specifically, Hivemind rules interact oddly/poorly with Swarm subtype rules (e.g. because Swarms are treated as a single creature, or because Swarms share a HD pool), which were not a part of the game at the time of BoVD's publication.
It relies on using an outdated version of the feat. The most recent version of the feat (in Elder Evils) references creating a Hive Mind (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/swarm.htm#hellwaspSwarm) (two words), which is a game term separate from Hivemind (one word).
Neither the FC1 nor the Elder Evils version of the feat actually mentions BoVD Hivemind rules.
The Dark Unity use of Dark Speech as presented in FC1/Elder Evils is perfectly functional on its own - it allows you to give a Suggestion to a swarm, provided that the swarm has a low enough Intelligence.
It allows you to get around the restrictions in the original Dark Speech rules (most importantly the "no more than 100 creatures" part).
It seems fairly obvious to me that the newest versions of the feats were not intended to interact with BoVD Hiveminds, and I additionally find that there are RAW problems in using them together. There's also the minor matter of having a friendly hivemind with Sorcerer 100 casting at low levels. Hence, I find it abusive.

Venger
2013-11-24, 09:31 AM
people've already mentioned the best exalted feats. here's a few more viles that I really like:

murderous intent: no, I don't know why it's vile either, but it's awfully good for wintimidation and horrifyingly awesome for a critfisher

deformity (tall): great for AoO builds, stacks with pretty much all other methods of boosting reach.

Karnith
2013-11-24, 10:04 AM
deformity (tall): great for AoO builds, stacks with pretty much all other methods of boosting reach.
Except for size increases, annoyingly, since it requires that you be Medium.

Yawgmoth
2013-11-24, 10:05 AM
For my money Murderous Intent is a damn nice vile feat. Auto-crit confirm is great and the stagger-ish effect is great for keeping things in melee (or if they run, from doing anything else).

For exalted feats, nothing tops Nymph's Kiss. I'd take it even if it was just +1 skill point/level, but everything else is gravy.