PDA

View Full Version : Sky Forged

ThatGuyOvaThere
2013-11-23, 08:56 PM
So I was watching a tv show and they said, they said- well they said something and it hit me, a flying warforged. Now the only problem is I don't want him to have wings, and I want him to be righteous. I was thinking of playing him a a paladin, but then I looked at Tome of Battle and saw the crusader, and thought "Hey, that is better than a Paladin and similar fluff too. So how should I make this guy fly, meaning are there any prestige classes that increase or give fly speed. and what would be some good maneuvers to know. Thanks in ahead, ThatGuyOvaThere. :smalltongue:

Urpriest
2013-11-23, 09:03 PM
You'd have to mix in some Swordsage or Master of Nine or the like, but there's a stance in ToB, Balance on the Sky, that grants Air Walk.

Another option for wingless flight would be to pick up some form of casting or psionic powers. The War Mind PrC might help with that.

Know(Nothing)
2013-11-23, 09:04 PM
There is a Warforged Component in one of the Eberron books I think that gives you two adamantine wings, a fly of 120' (perfect), and a secondary attack. It is very expensive, if I recall correctly.

You could do some interesting things with Flyby Attack, Greater Flyby Attack, Improved Trip and a reach weapon. Buzz past a massive line of troops, getting an attack on each, and making them all prone.

Scow2
2013-11-23, 09:25 PM
Are there no Incarnum options that grant flight?

Karnith
2013-11-23, 09:28 PM
Are there no Incarnum options that grant flight?
Airstep Sandals grant limited flight (you need to begin and end your movement on a solid surface, or you'll fall), and Astral Vambraces (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20060217a) can grant normal flight when bound to the arms chakra.

Zombulian
2013-11-23, 10:15 PM
There is a Warforged Component in one of the Eberron books I think that gives you two adamantine wings, a fly of 120' (perfect), and a secondary attack. It is very expensive, if I recall correctly.

You could do some interesting things with Flyby Attack, Greater Flyby Attack, Improved Trip and a reach weapon. Buzz past a massive line of troops, getting an attack on each, and making them all prone.

I think the issue is that it's an Artifact.

ThatGuyOvaThere
2013-11-23, 10:58 PM

I didn't want wings.

Red Fel
2013-11-23, 11:20 PM
The problem with non-wing flight is that either (a) you have to end your movement on a solid surface, which limits its mobility, or (b) your flight ceases to function in an anti-magic field. That said, there are some simple ways.

Option the first, if you're willing to be Chaotic, consider the Warlock. It has an invocation called Fell Flight, which gives you at-will flight at your land speed with good maneuverability. (I don't recall if it causes wings to materialize, but you can fluff that.)

Option the second, people have mentioned Incarnum. There are a lot of bits in MoI that grant flight. As mentioned, Airstep Sandals let you fly up to 10 feet (good maneuverability) as a move action, you can increase that distance by 10 feet per Essentia invested, and if you bind it to your Feet Chakra, you gain perfect maneuverability. The Incarnate Avatar soulmeld, if you're NG, gives you the silhouette of an astral deva (with ghostly non-functional white wings), granting a +1 insight bonus to AC per point of Essentia invested, and if bound to your Soul Chakra (requires Incarnate 19 or an Epic Feat) it grants you a flight speed of 30 feet (good maneuverability). The Pegasus Cloak soulmeld grants perpetual feather fall, and +2 on Jump checks, plus an additional +2 per Essentia invested; if bound to your Shoulders chakra it gives flight (average maneuverability) at 10 feet per Essentia invested.

Option the third, the Lists of Necessary Magic Items (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851) offers a solid selection of magic items that grant flight, including the Winged Mask, Phoenix Cloak, Wings of Flying, and Ring of Solar Wings.

Out of curiosity, why no wings? Are you going for rocket-bot instead of dragon-bot?

ThatGuyOvaThere
2013-11-24, 01:24 AM
Out of curiosity, why no wings? Are you going for rocket-bot instead of dragon-bot?

Well I know it has something to do with what was said on what I was watching and no, I am not going for rocket-bot or dragon-bot, What I imagine is a warforged flying but not making a big deal about it as say astro-boy does. More like ufo style of flight but in a humanoid ,or technically living construct, body shape.

Particle_Man
2013-11-24, 02:55 AM
Option the first, if you're willing to be Chaotic, consider the Warlock. It has an invocation called Fell Flight, which gives you at-will flight at your land speed with good maneuverability. (I don't recall if it causes wings to materialize, but you can fluff that.)

In fact, there is a prestige class for Warlocks that let you be LG or NG as well as CG, if you are insisting on LG. Oh, you sprout "Spirit Wings", that won't work.

If you are very patient, there is a 8th level Desert Wind Stance in Book of 9 Swords that lets you fly on a superheated column of air that burns anyone under you. Sort of a Rocket Bot.

Zombulian
2013-11-24, 03:01 AM
In fact, there is a prestige class for Warlocks that let you be LG or NG as well as CG, if you are insisting on LG. Oh, you sprout "Spirit Wings", that won't work.

If you are very patient, there is a 8th level Desert Wind Stance in Book of 9 Swords that lets you fly on a superheated column of air that burns anyone under you. Sort of a Rocket Bot.

Whoa that's cool.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-11-24, 03:22 AM
Might I suggest either Ruby Knight Vindicator or Jade Phoenix Mage, a pair of prestige classes in ToB. Both blend well enough with crusader and both give access to crusaders' iconic discipline; devoted spirit. Then all you need to do to fly is cast fly.

danzibr
2013-11-24, 08:00 AM
What level are you looking at?

Also, there are some nice Paladin racial substitution levels in RoE IIRC.

Invader
2013-11-24, 08:05 AM
Why not just a ring of fly, this doesn't seem like a hard problem to find a solution to. :smallconfused:

Socratov
2013-11-24, 08:13 AM
or you take a couple of Warlock levels and take fell flight...

sambouchah
2013-11-24, 11:43 AM

I am not going for LG I was actually thinking of going CG but I wasn't thinking spirit wings, really it is just seemless flight that I am going for. Also nI am not near patient enough to take that stance.

What level are you looking at?
Well that depends if one of the other players kill my current character or if I die of natural causes, I.E. monsters, overdosing on physcodelic mushrooms.(long story) If I am killed probable 6th level and if I die about 3rd. I might not die at thye level that I am expecting to die though o any level under 10 would be good.

Why not just a ring of fly, this doesn't seem like a hard problem to find a solution to. :smallconfused:
I am going for a more natural way to fly. Like not derived from magic items or any magic at all for that matter.

Note Just realized: my friend forgot to log out of the playground on my computer :smallmad: ThatGuyOverThere.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-11-24, 12:50 PM
I am going for a more natural way to fly. Like not derived from magic items or any magic at all for that matter.
Sooo... you want (Ex) flight that doesn't stem from wings? ...yeah, good luck with that. I suggest refluffing something-- say, those warforged component wings Know(Nothing) mentioned, or simple wing grafts-- as a jetpack or rocket boots or something like that.

Also, in the interests of completeness, Red Fel forgot the Manticore Belt soulmeld, which grants flight at average maneuverability and Flyby Attack.

ThatGuyOvaThere
2013-11-24, 01:05 PM
Sooo... you want (Ex) flight that doesn't stem from wings? ...yeah, good luck with that. I suggest refluffing something-- say, those warforged component wings Know(Nothing) mentioned, or simple wing grafts-- as a jetpack or rocket boots or something like that.

Also, in the interests of completeness, Red Fel forgot the Manticore Belt soulmeld, which grants flight at average maneuverability and Flyby Attack.
Grod I have already found away to count as having a fly speed all I need now is something that increases a preexisting flight speed, the way to count as having fly is the born flyer feat in races of nature
I found a feat in the forgotten realms that increases flight speed. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Particle_Man
2013-11-24, 03:22 PM
I am not going for LG I was actually thinking of going CG but I wasn't thinking spirit wings, really it is just seemless flight that I am going for. Also nI am not near patient enough to take that stance.

Oh well a CG Warlock has "Fell Flight" which you can get at level 6. Its "Flavour" is it looks like a black cloak of shadow. So you would be a robot superhero with a black cape. ;) Plus you get Eldritch Blast at level one and can put the Eldritch Spear on it at level 1 and have a nice long range accurate blaster. Go Iron Man!