PDA

View Full Version : Strikethrough proposed combat modification

Naomi Li
2013-11-24, 12:06 AM
(Note: All of this is written from the perspective of Pathfinder, so some game mechanics might not transfer properly)

Right now, armour and shield bonuses to AC represent the attacker striking around the armour and shield to hit them where they're weak, if my memory serves me correctly.

I do like this. However, I think that a combat option is dearly needed: The ability to ignore that armour/shield bonus to AC by attacking through it instead of around it. Presently, the only method of accomplishing this is one or more sunder manoeuvres and then attacking them normally. The following is an addition to the combat system.

If one declares one is attacking through the opponent's shield and/or armour (either or both are legitimate choices) the attack roll is made as normal, but the appropriate bonuses to AC are not added in. Instead, one must conduct a pseudo-sunder attack on one or both. If the target was hit the shield/armour is also automatically hit. Calculate sunder damage normally, but stop once 50% of the object's current hit points have been inflicted as damage. All remaining damage is then inflicted on the next target, be it the armour or the person behind it.

This can also be used to transform a weak object providing cover into one that merely provides concealment with the same system.

One thing that I think is badly needed, especially with this system, is giving magic armour/shield spells hardness and hit point values. How does hardness 5 and hp = caster level sound?

And if you're using firearms, a proposed modification to their "is a touch attack within X range increments": divide hardness of objects by 5. 10% of object's hit points must be inflicted to strike through it.

Comments, suggestions, and critiques gladly welcomed.