PDA

View Full Version : Monk Build help!

Johnboy
2013-11-24, 01:55 AM
I normally run the caster in my group but in this new campaign i drew the straw for the front line figher player. So I decided to go Monk. We arent really limited on books and I read up on something called the Ultimate Monk. 6 levels monk, 2 levels Drunken Fist, 5 levels Psionic Fist, 2 Warshaper, then the rest of Psionic Fist levels.

Im interested to here opinions or to see other builds if you guys have links or ideas. My DM runs an Overpowered game so my Ability scores are: 16, 16, 17, 18, 19, 19. OP campaign with good luck on my rolls makes for an awesome whatever i want!!! XD.

Im running two flaws: Shaky, Unattentive

Alright members of the PLayground, GO!

Johnboy
2013-11-24, 01:56 AM
ALSO: I cant seem to find the Class Psionic Fist in any of my books....anyone know where its from?

Particle_Man
2013-11-24, 02:44 AM
There is a Psionic Fist feat and a Fist of Zuoken class and both are in the Expanded Psionics Handbook.

And those are amazing stats! You could go straight Monk all the way and still be dangerous with stats like that.

Johnboy
2013-11-24, 10:16 AM
Well we get to fight higher challenge ratings due to the stat increase. Basically helps us level faster in my opinion :)

The Psionic Fist class i read about was a class, not a feat. I came across the feat while trying to find it as well. If you google Psionic Fist class then it comes up on a website or two but nothing that comments on what book it may be in. If I cant find it in the book then I need to rethink the build because DM says "No book, no way." Which is understandable.

Anyone have other builds they could show me? Ive never ran a fighter type before, Ive ALWAYS been the caster.

Karnith
2013-11-24, 10:20 AM
The Psionic Fist class i read about was a class, not a feat. I came across the feat while trying to find it as well. If you google Psionic Fist class then it comes up on a website or two but nothing that comments on what book it may be in. If I cant find it in the book then I need to rethink the build because DM says "No book, no way." Which is understandable.
The Psionic Fist (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/psionicFist.htm) PrC is the generic version of the Fist of Zuoken PrC (Expanded Psionics Handbook, p. 145). The classes are mechanically the same, but SRD removed many references to D&D lore from the rules. As such "Fist of Zuoken" became the "Psionic Fist," in much the same way that the Illithid Slayer became the Slayer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/slayer.htm).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-11-24, 10:41 AM
Monk 1 or 2/ Psychic Warrior 19 or 18, with the feat Tashalatora from Secrets of Sarlona which makes your Psychic Warrior levels increase your Monk unarmed strike, AC bonus, and flurry of blows. This is miles ahead of using Psionic Fist (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/psionicFist.htm)/of Zuoken due to number of powers known, manifester level, and how early you get access to your powers, plus all the bonus feats.

If your group sensibly ignores the multiclassing XP penalties, make him a Duskling. Otherwise consider Half-Giant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#halfGiants) but only if you can buy off the level adjustment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm) and if your DM lets the Powerful Build increase your unarmed damage by one size. Barring the proper conditions for either one of those, make him a Human.

You want to get the feat Midnight Augmentation from Magic of Incarnum, if you're not a Duskling then also get Midnight Dodge, and take Expanded Knowledge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#expandedKnowledge) for Bestow Power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/bestowPower.htm). With Midnight Augmentation you can adjust that power's augmentation to granting an additional 2 pp for every 1 pp spent, so spending 5 to manifest the power gives you back 6 powerpoints. This allows you to refill your powerpoints after using long-duration buffs and between encounters. Get Persistent Power from the 3.0 Psionics Handbook (also here (http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/msrd/ArcanaOccupationsandFeats.rtf)), as anything from 3.0 that wasn't reprinted is officially still valid for 3.5. Use that with powers like Expansion, Force Screen, Offensive/Defensive Precognition/Prescience, Biofeedback, Thicken Skin, Animal Affinity, Strength of My Enemy, Mental Barrier, Perfect Riposte, etc. Also don't forget about hour/level buffs like Inertial Armor and Danger Sense. Plus there are plenty of situational buffs like Energy Adaptation Specified, Body Adjustment/Purification, Dimension Swap, etc. Also be sure to get Psionic Lion's Charge, as a Monk's greatest weakness is not being able to move and full attack. You'll be going into every fight fully buffed and with your maximum powerpoints.

Get a Psicrystal along with the powers Vigor and Share Pain (via Expanded Knowledge). Keep the psicrystal in a compartment on your person so opponents will never have line of sight/effect to it and cannot target it directly or hit it with area effects. Keep Share Pain constantly active on it, you'll take half damage from all sources and its Hardness 8 will reduce every instance of damage it takes from share pain by that much regardless of the original attack's type. You can share buffs with a psicrystal, including Vigor which will give you a substantial hp cushion.

Take Linked Power from Complete Psionic, you should start each fight by spending a swift action on Psionic Lion's Charge with Vigor linked, and be sure Vigor is augmented as much as possible. Don't forget that you can never spend more power points than your manifester level on a single power, including a linked power. Also consider getting Ovechannel, since you can use it to make your long duration buffs better and using Vigor first can negate its drawback.

If you need a ranged attack, pick up Expanded Knowledge for Energy Missile, it's one of the strongest powers in the game.

Johnboy
2013-11-24, 01:41 PM
I have already decided to take Human for this campaign. But Im loving the way Monk and Psychic Warrior have so much synergy together. Can you show me a breakdown of the build through level 10 for me?

Im taking 2 flaws so thats two more bonus feats. I was thinking for all level 1 feats to be.

Improved Grapple (Monk Bonus Feat)
Battle Jumper (Human bonus feat)
Improved Initiative(LEVEL 1)
Dodge (Flaw)
Wild Talent (Flaw)
Flurry of Blows (Monk)
Unarmed Strike (Monk)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-11-24, 02:39 PM
You don't need Wild Talent with the Psychic Warrior build. You should actually replace it with Hidden Talent (XPH p67) whenever possible, as that's actually worth taking.

You need the feat Monastic Training from ECS to get Tashalatora for the build to work. Monastic Training can be taken as one of your Monk bonus feats, so get that instead of Improved Grapple. You can use Grip of Iron and Expansion to get grapple bonuses if you want, and they can't AoO if you're out of their reach when initiating a grapple.

Get Midnight Dodge instead of Dodge, it gives you essentia which you need for the Midnight Augmentation trick. That qualifies you for anything that has Dodge as a prerequisite anyway.

Do note that the following build's feat and power choices will only work if you use the Midnight Augmentation: Bestow Power trick to recharge your power points after buffing and between encounters.

1. Monk 1, Monastic Training, Midnight Dodge, Midnight Augmentation, Able Learner, Hidden Talent: Inertial Armor
2. Psychic Warrior 1, Psicrystal Affinity; Force Screen
3. Psychic Warrior 2, Link Power, Tashalatora; Expansion
4. Psychic Warrior 3, Vigor
5. Psychic Warrior 4, Animal Affinity
6. Psychic Warrior 5, Psionic Meditation, Practiced Manifester; Psionic Lion's Charge
7. Psychic Warrior 6, Strength of My Enemy
8. Psychic Warrior 7, Danger Sense
9. Psychic Warrior 8, Expanded Knowledge: Share Pain, Expanded Knowledge: Bestow Power; Biofeedback
10. Psychic Warrior 9, Offensive Precognition
11. Psychic Warrior 10, Psionic Freedom of Movement
12. Psychic Warrior 11, Extend Power, Persistent Power; Mental Barrier
13. Psychic Warrior 12, Psionic Dimension Door
14. Psychic Warrior 13, Oak Body
15. Psychic Warrior 14, Improved Natural Attack: Unarmed Strike, Expanded Knowledge: Touchsight; Perfect Riposte
16. Psychic Warrior 15, Body Adjustment
17. Psychic Warrior 16, Dispelling Buffer
18. Psychic Warrior 17, Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative; Mind Blank, Personal
19. Psychic Warrior 18, Breath of the Black Dragon
20. Psychic Warrior 19, Blackstone Hammer

Johnboy
2013-11-24, 02:58 PM
I expect some casters for us to fight against, was looking forward to gaining Evasion from the 2nd level Monk. Delaying Psychic Warrior until third level hurt too much or is the 2nd level monk worth it?

holywhippet
2013-11-24, 05:54 PM
As another monk option, consider monk 2/cleric 4/sacred fist. It's full BAB and despite what the table suggests is full casting advancement. Throw in some divine metamagic abuse for good measure.

Tevesh
2013-11-24, 06:00 PM
An ACF worth mentioning for Monk 2 is trading Evasion for Invisible Fist. This allows you to get Improved Invisibility for 1 rounds every 3 rounds. This will really help with your lowered BAB as you strike FF targets.

For high level play it might not be worth it as the amount of things that can ignore Invisibility dramatically climb. But its worth consideration: Evasion for Defensive play, Invisible Fist for Offense.

Chystraim
2013-11-25, 03:10 AM
Purchase the guide to the Talented Monk off the pathfinder SRD site. That book alone will allow you to build a monk that is EASILY tier 3 ;D

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-11-25, 06:53 AM
I expect some casters for us to fight against, was looking forward to gaining Evasion from the 2nd level Monk. Delaying Psychic Warrior until third level hurt too much or is the 2nd level monk worth it?

You don't need to spend class levels to get Evasion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#evasion).

Muja
2013-11-25, 07:28 AM
Purchase the guide to the Talented Monk off the pathfinder SRD site. That book alone will allow you to build a monk that is EASILY tier 3 ;D

Even though this is most likely a joke, please avoid trying to push 3rd party or unrelated system books unless the OP actually says something like Pathfinder is allowed for use.

On a general note: I hope you enjoy your game, the advice thats been given already makes anything I could say moot so I will leave it at that :smallbiggrin: