PDA

View Full Version : Runescarred Berserkers + Metamagic Feats

Chambers
2013-11-24, 12:15 PM
Can the Runescarred Berserker craft Runescars that have metamagic feats applied to them? Runescarred Berserkers qualify to take both Item Creation feats and Metamagic feats.

Scribe Runescar
At 1st level, a runescarred berserker learns how to carve a runescar into her own skin. A runescar is a means of storing a spell, much like a scroll.

Magic Items and Metamagic Spells
With the right item creation feat, you can store a metamagic version of a spell in a scroll, potion, or wand. Level limits for potions and wands apply to the spell’s higher spell level (after the application of the metamagic feat). A character doesn’t need the metamagic feat to activate an item storing a metamagic version of a spell.

I see a few possible answers.

Yes, the runescar is "much like a scroll" and thus the Item Creation rules apply to it in full.
The RAW is unclear; ask your DM.
No, the runescar is not a magic item and not subject to the full Item Creation rules.

Some useful Metamagic feats for Runescarred Berserker:

Extend Spell
Persistent Spell
Repeat Spell
Heighten Spell
Sanctum Spell

The most useful Metamagic feats (IMO) would be Extend, Persistent, and Repeat.

Extend and/or Persistent (depending on Range): Divine Favor, Low-Light Vision, Protection from Evil, Resist Energy, See Invisibility, Bull's Strength, Darkvision, Bear's Endurance, Invisbility, Keen Edge, Protection from Energy, Air Walk, Death Ward, Divine Power, Freedom of Movement, Greater Magic Weapon, Haste, Improved Invisibility, Righteous Might, Spell Immunity, Stoneskin, Antimagic Field

Repeat: Cure Moderate Wounds, Cure Serious Wounds, Cure Critical Wounds, Heal, True Strike, Dimension Door

Edit: Touch range spells can't be used with Repeat Spell. Maybe add Reach Spell to those spells first? You'd have to make a ranged touch attack to hit yourself though...odd.

Chambers
2013-11-25, 01:33 PM
No one's got an opinion on free Persistent spells for the Runescarred Berserker?

Tvtyrant
2013-11-25, 01:48 PM
No one's got an opinion on free Persistent spells for the Runescarred Berserker?

Not really, but here goes. "Much like a scroll" sounds like example text to me, especially as the whole phrase is " A runescar is a means of storing a spell, much like a scroll." This makes me believe it is an example of another means to store a spell and not an indication that they follow the same rules.

I believe that the text would have to indicate that the rune is a magic item for this to work, and I don't see that anywhere. Personally I would not allow it, although this does not mean anything in a discussion of RAW.

Chambers
2013-11-25, 03:40 PM
Not really, but here goes. "Much like a scroll" sounds like example text to me, especially as the whole phrase is " A runescar is a means of storing a spell, much like a scroll." This makes me believe it is an example of another means to store a spell and not an indication that they follow the same rules.

I believe that the text would have to indicate that the rune is a magic item for this to work, and I don't see that anywhere. Personally I would not allow it, although this does not mean anything in a discussion of RAW.

They do follow other magic item rules, such as costing GP and XP to craft and bring suppressed instead of dispelled, like a magic item would be if subject to Dispel.

Fax Celestis
2013-11-25, 03:47 PM
I don't think runescars are magic items so much as they're a weird way of actually casting a spell.

Flickerdart
2013-11-25, 03:53 PM
A runescar is like a scroll only insofar as they are both means of storing spells. If the text was something like "A runescar is like a scroll, except..." then you could make a case for metamagic.

holywhippet
2013-11-25, 04:13 PM
I'd say the rules would allow it, but you'd have to pay for the metamagic level increase by taking up a higher level spell slot.

Fax Celestis
2013-11-25, 04:44 PM
I'd say the rules would allow it, but you'd have to pay for the metamagic level increase by taking up a higher level spell slot.

This is what I was trying to say but failed at. Runescars are basically pre-cast spells, so they should function just like casting a spell.

Chambers
2013-11-25, 06:06 PM
Ways that a Runescar functions explicitly like a Magic Item.

Crafting a Runescar follows the Magic Item rules for duration and crafting costs of crafting (X hours or days, Y x Spell Level x Caster level in GP, 1/25th that amount in XP).
Runescars are suppressed instead of dispelled (Magic Items are suppressed by Dispel Magic, not dispelled).

Ways that a Runescar functions similarly to a Magic Item.

Runescars are activated by using a standard action and touching the rune. This is functionaly similar to the Use-Activated type of magic item. The only difference between the rules for an Use-Activated magic item and a Runescar is that a Runescar does not explicitly say that it is an Use-Activated magic item.
Runescars are described as being similar to a scroll.

Ways that a Runescar functions differently than a Magic Item.

Runescars are considered divine spells.

I consider the 'much like a scroll' and 'considered divine spells' data points to be the weakest arguments. In how they are created, how they function, and how they react to magic they function exactly like a type of magic item.

Why Use-Activated and not Command Word, Spell Trigger or Spell Completion? Runescarred Berserkers are explicitly forbidden from using the Spell Trigger and Spell Completion activation methods for magic items based on their spell list; if a Runescar is a magic item then it should not be one that they are not allowed to use. Command Word explicitly states that the character speaks a word; the activation of a Runescar does not require any word to be spoken, thus it's not Command Word activated.

holywhippet

I agree. They'd have to pay the higher cost.