PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Topping off an Incantatrix

HaikenEdge
2013-11-24, 12:20 PM
Assuming all official (WotC and Paizo) 3.5 material is legal, what are good classes for topping off a Wizard/Incantatrix progression? I always had trouble figuring out what to do with the last five levels of a 20 level build once I've maxed out pre-epic Incantatrix.

Carth
2013-11-24, 12:32 PM
I recently discovered that runesmith's 5th level ability (Races of Stone) allows you to make SLAs for yourself. Give up a slot one level higher and you can cast a spell as a SLA twice a day - ignoring EXP and material costs, though you must pay 20x the material cost and 1x the EXP cost when giving up the slot. Great for spells like vision and alter fortune that have a small EXP cost, but you're unlikely to cast more than a couple times a day. Depending on how often you want cast a particular spell with an expensive material component, that might also be worth the investment, too. It's also great for worst-case scenarios, because if you can teleport as an SLA, keeping you prisoner would require a substantial amount of resources.

HaikenEdge
2013-11-24, 12:41 PM
I recently discovered that runesmith's 5th level ability (Races of Stone) allows you to make SLAs for yourself. Give up a slot one level higher and you can cast a spell as a SLA twice a day - ignoring EXP and material costs, though you must pay 20x the material cost and 1x the EXP cost when giving up the slot. Great for spells like vision and alter fortune that have a small EXP cost, but you're unlikely to cast more than a couple times a day. Depending on how often you want cast a particular spell with an expensive material component, that might also be worth the investment, too. It's also great for worst-case scenarios, because if you can teleport as an SLA, keeping you prisoner would require a substantial amount of resources.
A 5th-level runesmith knows the secret of inscribing a permanent rune of a single chosen spell into his flesh.
A strict reading of Runesmith suggests the capstone ability only allows one spell to be made into an SLA in this manner. Given this interpretation, the capstone doesn't really seem that useful.

LordConcrete
2013-11-24, 12:43 PM
Mindbender dip for Mindsight is always good.
You could Divine Oracle for more divinations.

Tainted Scholar

killem2
2013-11-24, 01:20 PM
I personally think a summoning variant with monster that have spell casting so you can metamagic their stuff :D.

HaikenEdge
2013-11-24, 01:32 PM
I personally think a summoning variant with monster that have spell casting so you can metamagic their stuff :D.

Could you explicate on this? Either I'm not understanding what you're trying to communicate because there's a gap between our understandings, or something was lost between the lines.

Urpriest
2013-11-24, 01:43 PM
Archmage is a classic. Not perhaps the most powerful option, but still a solid one.

killem2
2013-11-24, 01:46 PM
Could you explicate on this? Either I'm not understanding what you're trying to communicate because there's a gap between our understandings, or something was lost between the lines.

I'm just saying if you can summon a creature that has their own spell casting abilities, (not to be confused with spell-like abilities) you could use your cooperative metamagic on them.

HaikenEdge
2013-11-24, 01:48 PM
I'm just saying if you can summon a creature that has their own spell casting abilities, (not to be confused with spell-like abilities) you could use your cooperative metamagic on them.

Ahh. I wasn't sure what you had meant previously; because I was asking about prestige classes to top off a Wizard/Incantatrix build, I thought you meant an unnamed variant of the Incantatrix prestige class for summoning monsters with spellcasting, which I wasn't familiar with.

killem2
2013-11-24, 01:50 PM
Ahh. I wasn't sure what you had meant previously; because I was asking about prestige classes to top off a Wizard/Incantatrix build, I thought you meant an unnamed variant of the Incantatrix prestige class for summoning monsters with spellcasting, which I wasn't familiar with.

Woops, then I would suggest malconvoker for summoning :D

Radar
2013-11-24, 03:17 PM
Warweaver is a solid 5 level PrC: one casting level lost, but you get the ability to buff a whole bunch of people with pre-cast spells - very useful, since it allows you to use personal range spells as well.

Either Red Wizard or Halruaan Elder would give you access to Circle Magic, which is all kinds of awesome and kind of powerful.

gorfnab
2013-11-24, 04:37 PM
Paragnostic Apostle

Brookshw
2013-11-24, 05:07 PM
Warweaver is a solid 5 level PrC: one casting level lost, but you get the ability to buff a whole bunch of people with pre-cast spells - very useful, since it allows you to use personal range spells as well.

+1 to that, great for parties. Get some gloves of spell storing and have your cleric cast into them for extra buffing options.

Zanos
2013-11-24, 06:55 PM
CC 1/Dweomerkeeper 4 will let you pick up knowledge devotion and get supernatural spell 1/day, as well as spontaneously casting a couple high level spells.

Loremaster 1 will let you pick up any bonus feat you qualify for. Use Frog God's Fane from CS to get the Knowledge Focus to qualify.

Paragnostic Apostle and Archmage are both good for any amount of levels.

Anything with circle magic.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2013-11-24, 07:16 PM
Spellguard of Silverymoon. Turn personal spells into touch spells. This allows for pretty much any spell you can cast to be Ocular+Chain+Persisted. Instead of just persisting personal buffs on yourself, you persist them on the entire party.

The downside is it's very setting/backstory-specific, but so are all of the FR prestige classes.