PDA

View Full Version : Alittle Bit of Help please

Gnome Barbarian
2007-01-12, 03:54 PM
Im making a grappling character and I was curious if anyone knew of anyway (feat, equipment, magic item) that directly improve your grapple other than the obvious improved grapple and higher strength. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks ahead of time

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-01-12, 03:58 PM
Be a bigger then average character. The bigger they are, the harder they hug.

Gnome Barbarian
2007-01-12, 03:58 PM
My DM is allowing me to be a goliath so I have that aspect covered.

Arbitrarity
2007-01-12, 04:00 PM
Enlarge person! (potion, or try for a perm (costs 2.96K, and can be dispelled :/))

That, and a larger than normal character, = +9 on grapple....

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-01-12, 04:00 PM
There's an epic feat called something like Legendary Wrestler. It's hard to get without pretty much dedicating all your levels towards grappling and nothing else, but, well, that's what you're doing :)

Gnome Barbarian
2007-01-12, 04:04 PM
I dont mind dedicating all my levels towards grappling I just know there are weapons/armor out there that improve tripping and sundering I just cant see any that do it to grappling

Telonius
2007-01-12, 04:06 PM
Magical effects that decrease your enemies' strength/BAB bonuses will help, so anything that bestows negative levels or reduces STR scores. Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization can have Grapple as the "weapon." Earth's Embrace, a feat from Complete Warrior, helps on damage.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-01-12, 04:07 PM
Oh yeah- put spikes on the biggest set of armor you can find. Unarmed damage is an absolute necessity too, so invest in a pair of good gauntlets.

Or, you could skip the armor and be a monk for the higher unarmed damage. The tradeoff, however, is that you won't have a full BAB. That means it'll be harder to initiate and keep grapples, which is ultimately more important then the damage.

Gnome Barbarian
2007-01-12, 04:08 PM
Yeah and as a fighter I could just take impoved grapple as a bonus feet. Im more into wanting to get the grapple if I can keep them grappled then I can just continue to do damage round after round.

Bears With Lasers
2007-01-12, 04:09 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#glovesofTitansGrip

The spell Freedom of Movement will own you, by the way. Keep that in mind when making a grapple-focused character.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-01-12, 04:11 PM
It IS highly funny to have both in a gestalt game, however. I made a grappler like that once, except with barbarian in place of fighter, and the chaotic monk variant. Called him Boris. Boris loved giving angry hugs.

Telonius
2007-01-12, 04:15 PM

The spell Freedom of Movement will own you, by the way. Keep that in mind when making a grapple-focused character.
Agreed, on that. If you're going up against a caster, make sure you can get him pinned in a single round. (Even that won't help you if he has Still Spell and Silent Spell, but at least it'll cost him some higher level slots). Vests of Escape, anyone with a high Escape Artist check, and Slick armor will make your life difficult as well.

Maclav
2007-01-12, 04:16 PM

A lowly grease will own you in most cases.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-01-12, 04:18 PM
Might I suggest for roleplaying purposes that your character is extremely terrified of anything he can't grab? Magic, ghosts, elementals, etc?

Gnome Barbarian
2007-01-12, 04:46 PM
That woudl be rather humourous...I think Ill have to take that

Fax Celestis
2007-01-12, 04:47 PM
Reaping Mauler PrC?

Gnome Barbarian
2007-01-12, 04:49 PM
Im looking to combine it with the new Avenging Executioner PrC