PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] SRD, the forgotten feats

Particle_Man
2013-11-24, 03:36 PM
I mean the non-epic feats (General feats, maybe others) in the epic section, the non-psionic feats (like Greater Manyshot) in the Psionic section, the non-divine feats in the Divine section, the extra domains (like Repose) in the divine section.

I mean, even if you didn't use Epic, Divine or Psionics rules, there is some perfectly good stuff in there.

I would also argue the entire Soulknife class really doesn't use Psionics as such. I mean, you really don't need to know about psionic power points as a system to use the Soulknife.

So I am wondering how often the "extra stuff" gets used. Would the "extra general feats" be used more if they were added to the General feats list in the SRD? How about the extra domains (at the very least, Repose instead of Death for good guy clerics)? Or would the lack of specific gods attached to domains in the SRD slow this down?

Of course, some people use all sorts of books so this is not an issue for them. I am talking about people that use something close to core, perhaps because they don't want to learn new systems of rules, but who could possibly still use bits and pieces in the SRD that don't requires those new systems.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-11-24, 03:58 PM
I mean the non-epic feats (General feats, maybe others) in the epic section, the non-psionic feats (like Greater Manyshot) in the Psionic section, the non-divine feats in the Divine section, the extra domains (like Repose) in the divine section.

I mean, even if you didn't use Epic, Divine or Psionics rules, there is some perfectly good stuff in there.

I would also argue the entire Soulknife class really doesn't use Psionics as such. I mean, you really don't need to know about psionic power points as a system to use the Soulknife.

So I am wondering how often the "extra stuff" gets used. Would the "extra general feats" be used more if they were added to the General feats list in the SRD? How about the extra domains (at the very least, Repose instead of Death for good guy clerics)? Or would the lack of specific gods attached to domains in the SRD slow this down?

Of course, some people use all sorts of books so this is not an issue for them. I am talking about people that use something close to core, perhaps because they don't want to learn new systems of rules, but who could possibly still use bits and pieces in the SRD that don't requires those new systems.

The non-epic feats in the epic section all require an unusual form; either a native fly speed or more than 2 arms. So I doubt they see much use. The general feats in the divine section have all appeared in other places except for the two plant ones and 5ft blind-sight, so they probably see at least some use. Greater manyshot is regarded as a virtual must-have for archers but most of the rest in the psionic section relate right back to psionics and so likely find some use as well.

Deophaun
2013-11-24, 04:43 PM
Might not count, but the un-epic but very useful Enhance Item feat is buried in the Epic Level Handbook. Suddenly, using Scribe Scroll at first level to make backups of colorspray and grease makes a lot of sense.

Yora
2013-11-24, 04:45 PM
Open Minded is quite important in E6, since it's one of the few ways to get additional Skill Points other than increasing Intelligence.

tyckspoon
2013-11-24, 04:56 PM
Might not count, but the un-epic but very useful Enhance Item feat is buried in the Epic Level Handbook. Suddenly, using Scribe Scroll at first level to make backups of colorspray and grease makes a lot of sense.

Ooh. Yeah, that's a winner, especially because it's not in the SRD Epic material. Useful, obscure, and something you'll only find if you actually read the hardcopy Epic Handbook? I'm gonna file that one in the 'wait, why doesn't everybody know about this already?' list.

Palanan
2013-11-24, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by tyckspoon
I'm gonna file that one in the 'wait, why doesn't everybody know about this already?' list.

There's a list?

:smalltongue:

AstralFire
2013-11-24, 07:45 PM
Stand Still (XPH, non-Psionic) and Knock-Down (original Sword & Fist, in Deities & Demi-Gods) are two feats which I commonly take on Spear-wielding Swordsages; I find them very useful for battlefield control.

ericgrau
2013-11-24, 07:51 PM
The non-epic feats in the epic section all require an unusual form; either a native fly speed or more than 2 arms. So I doubt they see much use.
Perfect for a special mount though, whether via class feature, leadership or gold.

TuggyNE
2013-11-24, 08:40 PM
There's a list?

:smalltongue:

It's like the list of the least interesting numbers, mathematically.

Malimar
2013-11-24, 10:18 PM
I rather like many of the spelltouched feats. They're mostly not very powerful, but there are some abilities in there you can't get any other way, and none few of them are boring +numbers feats.

Rubik
2013-11-24, 10:58 PM
Rapid Metabolism is a great non-psionic psionic feat that seriously boosts your healing when resting.

Not that good, since it's better to heal up with magic, right?

Well, sure, until you factor in that using Metamorphosis heals you that amount every time you use it.

And that the psychoactive skin of proteus allows you to use Metamorphosis at will.

And divine minions get it as part of their at-will wild shaping (all for LA +1 or +2).

herrhauptmann
2013-11-24, 11:21 PM

Page 114 for those hunting for it.
It is a good feat for anyone that does a lot of crafting.

I think those should have an increased price to buy since they're arguably better than the stock wands/scrolls.
If X is the minimum ability score, and Y is the used ability score, perhaps change price by *Y/X? Doesn't quite work right when you look at first level spells with a minimum score of 11 ( +0). Maybe +5% for every +1 over the bare minimum?

Rubik
2013-11-24, 11:37 PM
An easy way to use the Enhance Item feat is to link it to one of the cost reduction feats from Eberron, since those are [Item Creation] feats as well, and they apply to every item you make, rather than just one subset.

herrhauptmann
2013-11-24, 11:44 PM
An easy way to use the Enhance Item feat is to link it to one of the cost reduction feats from Eberron, since those are [Item Creation] feats as well, and they apply to every item you make, rather than just one subset.

Had a feeling, but I don't normally make crafters and so didn't want to make bad build advice.

Deophaun
2013-11-24, 11:55 PM
You only really need it for scrolls and wands, though. So, if you aren't taking a cost reducer feat, the next best thing is to put it on Craft Wondrous Item, as you can use CWI in conjunction with Scribe Scroll or Craft Wand to make alternate versions of those items (like spell tiles or orbs).