PDA

View Full Version : Help me flesh out a spell: Cold Snap

Dalebert
2013-11-24, 04:32 PM
So this is inspired by the expression for cold weather that comes on vary suddenly and further inspired by the play on words, the idea being that you prepare this spell and the final component is somatic only--a snap of your fingers.

I envision it being a local effect around the caster, maybe out to 20 or 30 feet as opposed to something that could be aimed or directed. The idea is that this is a fast-cast for when you're in a bind and the casting is too simple to direct and control such details.

Some possible effects either alone or some combination to lesser degrees (I lean toward the latter):
A little non-lethal damage
Fort save or frozen in place for one round as a hold person
Fatigue or other penalties along the lines of what you'd get in inclement weather

A possible interesting twist--it's a good spell because it's so quick and simple to complete the casting. But it's bad because you can't snap your fingers without actually casting it once you've prepared it.

Thoughts?

MonochromeTiger
2013-11-24, 04:36 PM
if I may, could I also suggest a round or two of difficult terrain (snow), or partial concealment from the same? it might allow the panic required for a fast casting situation to be addressed slightly. merely a suggestion feel free to ignore me.

Dalebert
2013-11-24, 05:57 PM
if I may, could I also suggest a round or two of difficult terrain (snow), or partial concealment from the same? it might allow the panic required for a fast casting situation to be addressed slightly. merely a suggestion feel free to ignore me.

I thought about a slippery ice coating on the floor that would act much like grease but the problem is the caster is right in the center of it. You could say he's on a dry spot but what if he wants to take advantage of the surprise to high-tale it out of there?

Soris Atham
2013-11-24, 07:18 PM
You could have an effect of snow blindness.

Characters would make an a saving throw to avoid a penalty for missile weapons.

Your spell can also serve as distraction, causing enough confusion for you to escape a hostile situation.

Dalebert
2013-11-26, 08:36 AM
Cold Snap

Conjuration [Cold]
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: S
Casting Time: 1 swift action
Range: 0 20 ft
Area: 20-ft. radius burst
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fort (Partial)
Spell Resistance: No

The preparation for this spell leaves nothing but a snap of the caster's fingers to complete it. It conjures a thick cloud of icy particles and fog that bursts outward from the caster's location for 20 feet. Everyone in the area except the caster is blasted with the cold taking 3d6 non-lethal damage and becoming exhausted for 1d3 rounds, then fatigued for 1d3 more. Those who make a successful fortitude save avoid the exhaustion portion becoming fatigued for 1d3 rounds. The extremely thick fog lingers--treat as Obscuring Mist but for 1d3 rounds as it gradually dissipates.

The extremely simple somatic component of this spell means it usually comes with a warning scribbled at the bottom of the spell's page to be very conscientious not to snap your fingers casually!

"What's it take to get service in this joint? Over here, tavern wench!" *snap*

Dalebert
2013-11-26, 12:51 PM
I looked up Obscuring Mist as a reference for fog and decided it makes sense to just treat the after effect similarly. The text has been adjusted.

Dalebert
2013-11-26, 01:00 PM
I should probably add that a creature with cold resistance that prevents it from taking the damage would ignore the exhaustion and fatigue affects as well.

karkus
2013-11-27, 04:59 PM
Cold Snap

Really good for a swift spell, but maybe the spell level is just a little too high.

Fizban
2013-11-29, 11:45 AM
Uh, that spell is ridiculously overpowered. Maybe if it was one target taking a few nonlethal and tiredness, but multiple targets is as they say quite right out. Take a look at the only other swift (channeled) spells around that level, in PHBII and Complete Mage if I remember right. Single targets and tiny effects. Or make the more draconian comparison to a quickened spell: even if we give it a 1st level effect (just because 0th is usless), there are no 1st level spells that deal mass damage and fatigue and fog all at the same time. Even just a swift fog spell is actually worth quite a bit. As written I'd say probably 6th- I'd go higher but at 7th it starts seeming out of place and the swift nature of the spell might lend it to being used when the fog will actually be a hindrance.

D-naras
2013-11-29, 02:55 PM
...Take a look at the only other swift (channeled) spells around that level, in PHBII and Complete Mage if I remember right. Single targets and tiny effects. ...

Yeah but those spells can be channeled for greater effects, so you have to take that into consideration. With that in mind, I think 4th level is appropriate. You can either have this, or Black Tentacles at that level.

Dalebert
2013-11-29, 03:18 PM
there are no 1st level spells that deal mass damage and fatigue and fog all at the same time.

Sorry, I have been steadily making changes to this based on feedback in another thread in which a number of my homebrew spells were being discussed in addition to this one. I thought this thread had pretty much fizzled until I saw it updated just now.

It may still be overpowered, but I have already toned it WAY down from where it was. I'm keeping all the changes here:

https://the-howling-cliffs.obsidianportal.com/wikis/new-spells