PDA

View Full Version : More domains. Feed me MOAR!!

Dalebert
2013-11-24, 06:52 PM
My cleric is about to switch to Seeker of the Misty Isle which grants the Travel domain and eventually the Magic domain. I already have the Knowledge domain as a bonus for being a cloistered cleric so that will put me at five domains. I'm in an ongoing quest to meet the tough prereq for a Contemplative which would give me one more domain.

I love having lots of powers and spell choices. Six domains is not enough! How can I get more?

MOAR!!!!

Oko and Qailee
2013-11-24, 06:53 PM
Radiant Servant of Pelor grants a bonus domain.... but you need sun domain for it

Karnith
2013-11-24, 06:55 PM
Sovereign Speaker is a ten-nine-level PrC in Faiths of Eberron that grants access to a new domain at every level. Note that it is setting-specific and requires a particular faith, though.

Church Inquisitor (Complete Divine) grants access to the Inquisition domain.

Divine Oracle (Complete Divine) grants access to the Oracle domain, and is an all-around great PrC.

Warpriest (Complete Divine) grants access to either the Glory or Domination domain (depending on whether your turn or rebuke undead) at the cost of a level's casting progression.

Dracolyte (Draconomicon) grants access to the Glory or Domination prestige domains.

Swift Wing (Dragon Magic) grants access to the Dragon domain.

Zanos
2013-11-24, 06:56 PM
Church Inquisitor gets the Inquisition domain at level 1, but requires that you be lawful good or lawful neutral.

Dalebert
2013-11-24, 07:00 PM
I probably should have specified that I am a True Neutral cleric of Obad-Hai. I guess it's not likely I will change religions.

On that note though, Contemplative has this tricky prereq:

Must have had direct contact with one’s patron deity or a direct servant of that deity, or with an enlightened being embodying the highest principles of an alignment (a solar, for example).

For Obad-Hai, might that be a treant? Maybe a particularly ancient one? If not that, what?

Oko and Qailee
2013-11-24, 07:05 PM
For Obad-Hai, might that be a treant? Maybe a particularly ancient one? If not that, what?

That is kinda up to your DM. Thought I would suppose powerful Nature creatures as well as other clerics could count.

Dalebert
2013-11-24, 07:17 PM
It does say a 10th level Contemplative is considered a magical creature and treated as an outsider. Problem is I'm in such a low-magic campaign that we can hardly ever find anyone who's even our own level, much less higher. Supposedly my DM is going to let me meet a Seeker though so maybe there's hope. *shrug*

Thurbane
2013-11-24, 11:10 PM
Lists of stuff (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1068066) is great for this kind of thing:

Bonus Domains

Church Inquisitor 1, ecl 4, Complete Divine – Inquisition
Contemplative 1, 6/10, ecl 11, Complete Divine – Any one
Divine Oracle 1, ecl 6 Complete Divine – Oracle
Radiant Servant of Pelor 5, ecl 11, Complete Divine – Glory or Purification
Rainbow Servant 1, 4, 7/10, Complete Divine – Good, Air, Law (in that order)
Seeker of the Misty Isle 1, 7/10, Complete Divine – Travel, Magic
Temple Raider of Olidammara 10, Complete Divine – Luck
Warpriest 1, ecl 6, Complete Divine – Glory or Domination
Holt Warden 1, ecl 5, Complete Champion, plant
Ordained Champion 1, ecl 5, Complete Champion, war domain or any other by your deity

Sovereign Speaker 1-9/9, ecl 6, Faiths of Eberron – *9 bonus Domains* (1 per level), selection restrictions, see text
Singer of Concordance 2, ecl 7, Races of the Dragon - choose from: dragon, healing, knowledge, magic, strength, travel, wealth
Cloistered Cleric 1, Unearthed Arcana - Knowledge Domain, plus any two others as a standard Cleric

Divine Disciple 4, ecl ?, Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (3.0) – any one of your diety’s Domains
Dracolyte 1, ecl 6, Draconomicon - Glory or Domination
Wavekeeper 1, ecl 6, Stormwrack, choose: Blackwater, Ocean, Storm or Water
Knight of the Raven 3, ecl 7, Expedition to Castle Ravenloft
Arachnomancer 1, ecl 6, Drow of the Underdark, spider domain
Swift Wing 1, ecl 5, Dragon Magic - Dragon
Earthshaker 1, ecl 9, Dragon 314 p.58, Earth domain

Faiths and Pantheons
Wearer of Purple 1 – one bonus Domain from the following; Death, Evil or Scalykind (requires Iron Will, Spell Focus (necromancy))
Gondsman 3 – one bonus Domain from the following; Craft, Earth, Fire, Knowledge, Metal or Planning (requires Craft Wondrous Item, Skill Focus (craft))
Horned Harbringer 1 – Death
Auspician 1 – Fate (requires Dodge, Iron Will, Great Fortitude, Lightning Reflexes)
*Windwalker 1 – Air and Travel Domain spell access only (do not gain Domain power or Domain slots, if you don’t already have them)
*Waveservant 1 – Ocean spell access only (do not gain Domain power or Domain slots, if you don’t already have them)
*Silverstar 1 – Moon Domain spell access only (do not gain Domain power or Domain slots, if you don’t already have them)

Special Mention
Planar Touchstone (Catalogues of Enlightenment), feat, Planar Handbook, gain access to a domain power and spells, see text
Heretic of Faith, feat, Power of Faerun (p.46), stray from your path, exchange domain spells, etc, see text

Maginomicon
2013-11-24, 11:25 PM
I probably should have specified that I am a True Neutral cleric of Obad-Hai. I guess it's not likely I will change religions.

On that note though, Contemplative has this tricky prereq:

Tricky? One casting of Path of the Exalted (which ALL good clerics can cast spontaneously) qualifies you. It calls down an agent of your deity and you talk with it.

Oko and Qailee
2013-11-24, 11:57 PM
Tricky? One casting of Path of the Exalted (which ALL good clerics can cast spontaneously) qualifies you. It calls down an agent of your deity and you talk with it.

Keep in mind he's not good, he's neutral. He can't cast that spell at all.

Deophaun
2013-11-25, 12:02 AM
Sure he can. Sanctified spells just can't be cast by evil characters. There's nothing saying neutral characters can't prepare and cast them.

Maginomicon
2013-11-25, 12:05 AM

Actually he can cast it, just not spontaneously. Sanctified spells are forbidden to be accessed by evil characters, not "not good".

EDIT: Ninja'd

Dalebert
2013-11-25, 08:23 AM

OMG, if you were here right now, I'd give you oral. Now I just need to come up with a good excuse to... I mean, uh... *ahem* I'm sure a important decision will come up in which it's totally appropriate, crucial even, that I consult my diety.

Dalebert
2013-11-25, 08:39 AM
This is my first exposure to the concept of sanctified spells. I'm just thrilled I can cast them and don't want to sound greedy or anything, but... where does it say that neutral clerics can't spontaneously cast them? The main description in BoED says evil can't cast them at all (neither can spontaneous casters like sorcerers) and that clerics can spontaneously cast them. It doesn't say anything, at least not there, about neutrals not being able to spontaneously cast.

Snowbluff
2013-11-25, 09:56 AM
Sovereign Speaker is a 10-level PrC in Faiths of Eberron that grants access to a new domain at every level. Note that it is setting-specific and requires a particular faith, though.

9. There are 9 in the Soveriegn Host. There are 9 levels of the Sovereign Speaker. They grant you 9 domains. 9. :smallmad:

smalltongue

Dalebert
2013-11-25, 10:17 AM
Slightly off-topic but this just made me think of something. Is there much reason for every cleric to NOT start off as a cloistered? Besides the knowledge domain, which sticks around forever as I understand, you'd get 16 more skill ranks at 1st level. Then if you switch to cleric for 2nd level, you'd get all their weapon and armor proficiencies. I suppose you'd lag one level on BAB though. And for spells that get added to your spell list, would that be level dependent, as in you only get to add the 1st level ones to start. The others don't get added if you don't continue to advance as a CC.

Just to clarify, any prestige class that advances your spells known, spells per day, and caster level, also advances those things in your existing domains, yes? Or is there such a thing as, say, having Earth domain only up to 5th level spells but not beyond? Ack, that could get complicated.

Snowbluff
2013-11-25, 10:20 AM
Not being cloistered usually comes down to BaB. Prestige Paladin and Ranger require so much BaB, for example.

Fouredged Sword
2013-11-25, 10:21 AM
CC is considered an upgrade from the standard cleric in most areas. It can run into an issue if you want the earliest entry into a martial focused PRC, like PRC paladin or some such, with a bab prereq that you want to avoid dipping to get.

Ninja'd

On the note of domains, the Substitute Domain spell can swap out a domain for another temporarily. Great for versitility. With your diety you could get one of the following for a time (Air, Animal, Earth, Fire, Plant, Water, Weather)

The planer touchstone (catalouges of enlightenment) can get you another domain for a feat slot. Not a bad idea.

Snowbluff
2013-11-25, 10:22 AM
You should also look into the Devotion Feats. I've recently discovered Trickery Devotion, which is made of Pure Awesome.

Maginomicon
2013-11-25, 10:40 AM
OMG, if you were here right now, I'd give you oral. Now I just need to come up with a good excuse to... I mean, uh... *ahem* I'm sure a important decision will come up in which it's totally appropriate, crucial even, that I consult my diety.
Ha ha ha. :smallbiggrin: Too bad, that might have been fun.

This is my first exposure to the concept of sanctified spells. I'm just thrilled I can cast them and don't want to sound greedy or anything, but... where does it say that neutral clerics can't spontaneously cast them? The main description in BoED says evil can't cast them at all (neither can spontaneous casters like sorcerers) and that clerics can spontaneously cast them. It doesn't say anything, at least not there, about neutrals not being able to spontaneously cast.
*checks* You're right. Neutral clerics can cast them spontaneously, but your GM might infer from the wording of "just as they can spontaneously cast cure wounds spells" to mean only clerics that have that specific ability.

Slightly off-topic but this just made me think of something. Is there much reason for every cleric to NOT start off as a cloistered? Besides the knowledge domain, which sticks around forever as I understand, you'd get 16 more skill ranks at 1st level. Then if you switch to cleric for 2nd level, you'd get all their weapon and armor proficiencies. I suppose you'd lag one level on BAB though. And for spells that get added to your spell list, would that be level dependent, as in you only get to add the 1st level ones to start. The others don't get added if you don't continue to advance as a CC.Picking a variant class prohibits you from picking any other variant (not sure where it says it) later on.

Trilby
2013-11-25, 11:33 AM
Picking a variant class prohibits you from picking any other variant (not sure where it says it) later on.

Are you referring to not being able to trade away the same class feature twice? I'm familiar with that rule, but not that a character can only have one acf. Would like a source if possible, to adjucate some shenanigans at my table.

Maginomicon
2013-11-25, 11:48 AM
Are you referring to not being able to trade away the same class feature twice? I'm familiar with that rule, but not that a character can only have one acf. Would like a source if possible, to adjucate some shenanigans at my table.
You can pick variants that don't trade away the same feature, but the Cloistered Cleric variant trades away the base Cleric chassis. A Cloistered Cleric is still a cleric, so ACFs that affect the other features of a cleric are still free game, but you can't then exchange the Cloistered Cleric chassis for the standard cleric chassis later down the line.

A similar disclaimer is stated in every chassis variant (i.e. Psionic Artificer, Chaos Monk, Sidewinder Monk, Wild Monk, Filidh Wizard, Sidhe Scholar Druid, Storm Druid, Totem Druid, Pugilist Fighter, etc.) and is thus implied for the Cloistered Cleric (and the other chassis variants in the variant classes section) even if it's not stated in the d20SRD.org website itself.

Vaz
2013-11-25, 12:33 PM
Ha ha ha. :smallbiggrin: Too bad, that might have been fun.

What is this, Tinder?

Trilby
2013-11-25, 12:49 PM
You can pick variants that don't trade away the same feature, but the Cloistered Cleric variant trades away the base Cleric chassis.

Ah, I see. A variant is 'more' than a normal ACF. I never knew. Makes sense though. Thanks!:smallsmile:

Dalebert
2013-11-25, 03:23 PM
On the note of domains, the Substitute Domain spell can swap out a domain for another temporarily.

Wow, thanx. That will be great for meeting the prereqs for making certain magic items.

Dalebert
2013-11-25, 03:27 PM
Well, crap. I just realized I could have met the prereqs for Seeker of the Misty Isle by just retraining one of my domains to Weather for one level. I took a level or ranger for that. =\ Oh well. There are some nice perks from that one level but I think I would have preferred not to miss a level of spell casting advancement.

Fouredged Sword
2013-11-25, 03:47 PM
Ask your DM to let you use the retraining rules. Also, substitute domain has a day/level duration and is a second level spell, so it can easily be use to have a floating domain that you change as needed.

I have wanted to make a nature cleric who uses the spell to maintain a floating elemental domain based on the season. Fire=summer, wind=fall, earth=winter, water=spring. He would be followed around by a small pack of elementals he rebuked each season.

Dalebert
2013-11-25, 03:56 PM
Ask your DM to let you use the retraining rules. Also, substitute domain has a day/level duration and is a second level spell, so it can easily be use to have a floating domain that you change as needed.

Pretty sure that doesn't include switching an entire class level to another one. Thanx, though. I'm enjoying some of the ranger perks like tracking feat and being able to use a shield, maybe even medium armor at some point.

And yes, I love this spell. Plus I have the extend spell feat so it can be 2 days/lvl. Once again, I feel inspired to provide oral.

I have wanted to make a nature cleric who uses the spell to maintain a floating elemental domain based on the season. Fire=summer, wind=fall, earth=winter, water=spring. He would be followed around by a small pack of elementals he rebuked each season.

I haven't once encountered any creatures I can rebuke. Our encounters have been kind of ... we've mostly been fighting humans with short swords. It's ridiculous. I'd love to know how to find some creatures I can rebuke. I have the earth and fire domains right now.

Fouredged Sword
2013-11-25, 03:59 PM
PHB2, and I think it takes 1 week per level changed, so you would be out some gold and time, but little else. Just say you are forgoing your martial training to become more in touch with nature, do some rituals, commune with a high druid in some enclave, and pay the DM his blood gold.

nedz
2013-11-25, 04:33 PM
Substitute Domain
(Complete Champion)
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Duration: 1 day/level (D)

Big Fau
2013-11-25, 04:39 PM
Disclaimer: Sovereign Speaker is only 9 levels long, not 10.

Still, that's a massive number of bonus domains.

Dalebert
2013-11-25, 04:59 PM
PHB2, and I think it takes 1 week per level changed, so you would be out some gold and time, but little else.

I can't even begin to fathom how much oral it will take to repay you.

Snowbluff
2013-11-25, 05:00 PM
9. There are 9 in the Soveriegn Host. There are 9 levels of the Sovereign Speaker. They grant you 9 domains. 9. :smallmad:

Disclaimer: Sovereign Speaker is only 9 levels long, not 10.

Still, that's a massive number of bonus domains.

Trickery Cleric'd. :smallwink:

Fouredged Sword
2013-11-25, 05:15 PM
Ok, I looked it up, and class rebuilding takes "A class rebuilding quest" rather than gold and time. I think that puts it in "ask your DM" territory.

Dalebert
2013-11-25, 05:28 PM
PHB2, and I think it takes 1 week per level changed, so you would be out some gold and time, but little else.

It says it takes a difficult quest to change class levels. A perk is that you can also move an ability score point or two. I think my DM might be discouraged by that. But then he might just say to do it. He's also really laid back. He's pretty much okay with anything if the books say you can do it.

Dalebert
2013-11-25, 06:31 PM
I've recently discovered Trickery Devotion, which is made of Pure Awesome.

Wow, you're not kidding!

Big Fau
2013-11-25, 06:57 PM
Wow, you're not kidding!

It was good, until it got Errata'ed.

Dalebert
2013-11-25, 07:20 PM
Since I only just took the level of ranger and I explained to my DM that, even though I personally didn't know my cleric had a way to get 8 survival ranks in one level, my cleric certainly would have known it and not taken the level of ranger. I've hardly done anything with the ranger stuph and he's letting me redo the level. What a relief! Now I can cast 5th level spells already and I won't have to keep lagging an extra level behind over that stupid prereq.