PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5/Pathfinder campaign idea that I'd like to get reviewed.

Briandude777
2013-11-24, 08:20 PM
Before you read on ahead, take note that this is my first Pathfinder/D&D 3.5 campaign that I've started. It might look really pathetic, but just read it through.

All right. I've been DMing a Pathfinder/3.5 group with my friend and I. I'll make this in point form. We're in a custom made world with no preset city names; we're just winging it. The king of the land is kind but soft, and the two PCs receive a fortune from three seers. It says that Brian will be king, but only if he damns himself. Darien's fortune is that he shall also be king, but he shall suffer a great injustice.

His character is a CG Fighter (Darien), and mine is a CN Hellfire Knight (Brian Deschain). He and I are currently first level, but this campaign will be a long progressive storyline. He met an Aasimar Paladin named Hank Schralgate, and an Elven Cleric named Elwyn Firefrost. As Darien set out by Elwyn to meet Brian, he finds out that a cult stormed into where Elwyn and Hank are, and almost kills Hank, while taking Elwyn at knifepoint. The cultist is defeated, but the leader gets away. Elwyn has an obvious love interest in Darien, and Hank does not trust Brian. (One of his/my special abilities is to show up as Evil, no matter what his/my alignment is.), although the going down gets rough (With Brian severely injuring Hank) and they learn to cope with their differences.

Past the intro, we're up to the present. Darien is, well... not the most outgoing type of character. He expects me (the DM who's playing as well) to lead him on, but he makes no decisions of his own. He's the type who'll ignore the cries of help, and sit alone, in the corner of a bar, sipping his water. (Anticlimactic, but he's getting better.) Now my idea is to eventually build up the storyline around Darien, Brian and the gang doing some heroic deeds, and becoming a true team. But Brian's resolve is deteriorating from being a Hellfire Knight and being under constant demonic presence. Hank still doesn't trust Brian, Darien trusts him (Although he receives dreams saying "Don't trust him" and "He'll be your downfall if you let him"). Elwyn is just infatuated with Darien, and says "If Darien trusts him, then so do I". Fun.

Before I go any further, I am going to say a character "before and after" shot.

Brian: (Before) A Hellfire Knight that only uses his powers for noble purposes. A trustworthy friend that goes by his gut. (After) A malevolent being twisted by his own beliefs, whose deterioration has affected his soul.

Darien: (Before) An unexperienced soldier who yearns to make a name for himself. (After) A dedicated father and hero who is soon-to-be king.

Hank: (Before) A war hero who is currently mentoring a young Darien. He does not trust Brian. (After) A loyal follower of Darien, knowing that he is of royal lineage. He would give his life for Darien, but detests what Brian has become.

Elwyn: (Before) A wise cleric who offered aid to anyone who would take it. (After) A trusting mother and wife to Darien, she will stick by his side, unless he forsakes a greater good.

Now... my idea is going to be quite an ******** move (emphasis on ********). This is fast forwarding a few years. Darien and Elwyn are married, a son/daughter is on the way, and everybody is generally happy. The king is reigning soft and there is little to no military. Darien and Brian get into an argument about it, with Brian telling Darien just to sleep it off. Darien's son gets killed by raiders, and Brian flees, slaughtering the king. (The king of whatever land, I'll get there.) After killing the king, Brian usurps the kingdom and leads it with an iron fist. He cares about the well being of it, and will stop at nothing to make it strong. Hank, Darien and Elwyn confront Brian. Darien finds out that he is of royal descent and that kingship is conferred onto him, but he'll have to kill Brian to do so. Brian claims that Darien is with those two, who are here to murder him -- offering Darien an ultimatum. "You are either with me, or against me. Make your decision, 'friend'." He can either stand with Hank and Elwyn (Good) or stand with Brian (Bad).

If Darien stays with Hank and Elwyn, Brian immediately attacks. As the battle progresses, Brian tries to kill Hank, Elwyn, then Darien. (Brian will be a 9th level Reaper by then as well.), so if Elwyn is still alive, she will transfer all of her negative energy at Brian which... oh bother, it heals him. If Brian wins the battle, it'll show Hank and Elwyn dead, making it a 1v1. Darien falls unconscious and his god sends him back in time to redo that. Once Brian is inevitably defeated, Darien can either kill his friend or let Hank do it. Darien is the king of the realm, now let's take a breather..

However, if Darien stays with Brian, Elwyn and Hank attack them. The latter gets demolished, and evil FTW. Brian and Darien both Co-Op lead the realm, and eventually plan to take over the world.

I was basing this campaign ending off of Star Wars Ep. III (Obi-Wan and Anakin dueling on Mustafar), Macbeth (Where Macbeth kills King Duncan and usurps the throne, while him being slowly corrupted) and Star Wars KotOR (Revan, Juhani and Jolee fighting against a corrupted Bastila.), so if I could add any more, it's be appreciated.

If you made it this far, I applaud you. Leave your comments down below and I'll get to it.

Bovine Colonel
2013-11-24, 08:45 PM
You're...planning to dictate the player characters' development?

Briandude777
2013-11-24, 08:50 PM
Where'd you get that idea?