PDA

View Full Version : The Church of the D20.

D20ragon
2013-11-24, 09:46 PM
In the beginning, there was nothing. Rumors persist that perhaps beings by the names of Leiber,Tolkien,Burroughs, and a host of others before him,but these are dismissed as only rumors,despite evidence to the contrary. And so, there was nothing, save the Great D20,also called DM of the multiverse. And the d20 grew restless, and created all other dice to aid it. And this was good.
And so, the d20 rolled upon its random terrain tables,and a great multitude of reality came forth. And though it was chaotic, the d20 seperated it into many worlds, called planes. And this was good.
And the d20 rolled once upon its random encounter tables, and a host of beings sprang into being, and populated these planes.
But the plane of the most interest to us, is the one called the material plane. For this was the last of the planes to be created, and so, the great d20 spoke. "**** it," it said. "I must rest."
And so, the Dm of the newly created multiverse created two exarchs to take care of this, the material plane. And the exarchs were named Gary Gygax,and Dave Arneson. And they were smart. And so, they sought to bring joy to this plane. And in there seeking, they created the Divine Game, which men call D&D. And it was fun, and the replay value great. And to aid them in this quest, they created many to aid them. Skip Williams, Monte Cook, and many others. And all was well. And many were the games, all echoes of the Divine Game. And thusly, the chosen people of the D20, the gamers, live in peace.

Although I be a simple D12 I put forward the following scripture to elucidate what I believe to be the intended words of the Most Holy Prophet D20ragon
For His words, while holy are intended for a world not our own, a utopian society free of dissent and disharmony such that Henderson came about

While it is our struggle to create a world where His teachings may be universal and free of translation, to do so They must be so translated.

While the Great D20 is God Above, the Deity of All He cannot encompass all, this is evident by the creation of the Most Holy Gygax among others
Thus I propose there exist lower Gods. Not demigods as other theologians have theorised but truly divine beings
PunPun the God of RAW, enforcing the scriptures be followed from the Holy Tome selected by the person, holding them accountable for their chosen text, even should they adopt one of the other major Sects of the Great D20 such as 4e or the original texts of the 1st edition. While maligned he serves a vital role in the cosmology. Lawful
Ruby Knight Windicator the God of Power, showing the power of minmaxing, how the pursuit of a single purpose grants power beyond dreams
Batman Wizard, God of preparation. Players and DMs alike are shown the shining example of preparing for the situation with this arcane divinity.
Drake Maximumus Percival Charleston. God of Equality. While reviled by many the divine version of the DMPC is the link between players and DMs showing that all must gain entertainment not just one side of the table
There are many more, as many as the Greek Pantheon of old, including gods of house rules, storytelling, Henderson etc. but my time is sorely lacking to fully elucidate this expansion of the Holy Prophet's words

Hymn of the D20.
O great D20,thou who critical most successfully and who smites thine foes with thy natural one,hear my prayer. May my dice be infused with thy spirit. May all gamers who respect thy name be blessed,that they may know the glory that you bring to the characters that thou hast favored. May they gain XP rapidly. May the random treasure tables shower them with items of great power. May their DM's house rules treat all equally,and may the bane of the Dm-PC never overshadow their table.
And,above all else,when they perish,let the clerics supply of diamond dust be sufficient.

Join the Church of the D20 today! The first 5 who join get the title Dm of the D20 or other,of their choice.
The next 12, D12 of the D20.
The next 10, D10.
The next 8,D8.
The Next 6,D6.
The next 4,D4.
All others get the title PC of the D20.

If you join,paste your title to your sig,along with a link to this thread.

Hope you enjoy.:smallbiggrin:

MikelaC1
2013-11-24, 09:57 PM
I think Edgar Rice Burroughs preceded Tolkien.

Grinner
2013-11-24, 10:11 PM
Can I go ahead and found the Diceless Heresy, or do I actually have to join first?

The Oni
2013-11-24, 10:57 PM
Did someone say HERESY!? *blam*

The Fury
2013-11-24, 10:57 PM
What of the Ancient One? The one that placed the numbers on the faces of the Cosmic Icosahedron and gave it new purpose as the Great D20?

ambrosearchibal
2013-11-25, 04:14 AM
Thanks for sharing useful information.

SiuiS
2013-11-25, 06:00 AM
What of the Ancient One? The one that placed the numbers on the faces of the Cosmic Icosahedron and gave it new purpose as the Great D20?

None of that gnostic heathenry! This is clearly the place for orthodox deetwentiests.

E: oh man, screw DM of D20. I'm gonna call myself a holy roller! :smallbiggrin:

D20ragon
2013-11-25, 07:19 AM
I think Edgar Rice Burroughs preceded Tolkien.

Some scholars speak of Burroughs,but they are only heretical mutterings.
Are they hinting at something to come?

Also, how many of you embrace the d20's teachings?

Eldan
2013-11-25, 07:29 AM
Even if Burroughs doesn't count, and he should, Howard predates Tolkien by a few years.

TheCountAlucard
2013-11-25, 07:31 AM
So, there's no d100? Fine, I'll declare myself such! :smallamused:

D20ragon
2013-11-25, 07:33 AM
Even if Burroughs doesn't count, and he should, Howard predates Tolkien by a few years.

I'm not saying these people didn't exist, only that they aren't part of the standard scripture. Only the advanced theologians know of their existence.

D20ragon
2013-11-25, 07:34 AM
So, there's no d100? Fine, I'll declare myself such! :smallamused:

Actually,that's a mistake on my part. I'll fix that.

[EDIT] I fixed the first post. Now only the first 5 get to be a Dm of the D20 or a title of their choosing.

Eldan
2013-11-25, 07:38 AM
I'm not saying these people didn't exist, only that they aren't part of the standard scripture. Only the advanced theologians know of their existence.

That makes no sense. Tolkien may be the big name today, but D&D owes just as much, if not more, to Leiber and Howard. Sure, Tolkien gave us the non-human races and a few monsters.
Leiber gave us everything else about D&D. The standard adventure structure with exploration, dungeons, monsters and treasure. Many of the classic monsters. Evil cults. Dark Temples. He defined the classes and even what weapons each class gets.
The story structure of Tolkien is very little like that of a D&D adventure. But any given Fafhrd or Conan story can be almost directly be ported into a dungeon crawl.

D20ragon
2013-11-25, 07:40 AM
This is very true, and I am surprised I forgot this. To the first post!

Eldan
2013-11-25, 07:43 AM
None of that gnostic heathenry! This is clearly the place for orthodox deetwentiests.

E: oh man, screw DM of D20. I'm gonna call myself a holy roller! :smallbiggrin:

I don't know about "orthodox"... Pythagoreanism is quite old.

Alejandro
2013-11-25, 10:44 AM
I nail 95 critical hits to the door.

MikelaC1
2013-11-25, 11:37 AM
The story structure of Tolkien is very little like that of a D&D adventure.

Especially when you consider the end of LOTR would mark the end of a campaign and its PCs, whereas Fafhrd and Conan keep going.

Volcan
2013-11-25, 03:56 PM
i will join and become a dm i think, but i will be called "The Critical Chance"

Jay R
2013-11-25, 04:07 PM
Well, I love the shapes of my classic dice, but my love for them isn't religious; it's Platonic.

The Fury
2013-11-25, 06:01 PM
Well, I love the shapes of my classic dice, but my love for them isn't religious; it's Platonic.

HA! I GET IT!

Just to Browse
2013-11-25, 06:16 PM
I nail 95 critical hits to the door.

Take all of my internets.

SiuiS
2013-11-25, 10:51 PM
I don't know about "orthodox"... Pythagoreanism is quite old.

Unfortunately, the answers to all your queries involve actually discussing religion, which is a no-no.

You sir, win a prize!

Tychris1
2013-11-25, 11:26 PM
I EMBRACE THE HOLY POWER OF THE D20!

BASK MYSELF, OH MIGHTY YEE, WHO SO BLESSED MENWITHRHE POWER TO ONESHOT OUR CAMPAIGNS FINAL BOSS DURING THE FIRST SEESION! I OFFER MYSELF WHOLLY OVER TO YOU AND YOUR WICKEDLY PUNISHING WAYS!

I wish to join as a DM called The Save-or-Die.

Lord Raziere
2013-11-25, 11:51 PM
I will blaspheme and speak heresies!

The D20 is not an object to be worshipped!

It is nought but a channel, a tool that we are masters over! Not a thing that is master over us! I bring roleplaying enlightenment! Look not to experience tables, look not to the numbers, the loot, the dice! Look instead to the imagination inside of ye! Look instead to roleplay your character to the best of your ability! Look instead to capture their emotions, their feelings, their thought processes! Look instead to embody them as best you can! Flesh them out as much as you can, hone your craft of making your characters fluff to its utmost! We seek enlightenment and calm in the fluff! For we are people who tell stories in roleplaying are we not?

For this is the Way of the Flavorful Backstory. When your character is all fleshed out, and made unique from all other characters in their own little way, all will be good in GM and Player, Heaven and Earth, Character and World. Through great imagination and creativity, harmony is achieved in all things. Meditate on this.

For I am Sensei Raziere of The Way of the Flavorful Backstory. I look forward to teaching you my ways.

Tengu_temp
2013-11-25, 11:54 PM
I don't care much for orthodoxy which equates DND to all RPGs. Open your eyes, learn of other gamer churches, and start a dialogue with them!

Lord Raziere
2013-11-26, 12:08 AM
The Way of the Flavorful Backstory, however cares not for what system the character is made from. The Way only cares that the character is made, and made well in their flavor, their fluff, their personality, their story. What dice you use to channel the character is of no consequence, whether or not your character is a well-made one that makes one happy to play them is all important to The Way. We accept all who come to learn of The Way's wisdom, regardless of what system they like, rpg church they attend or dice they roll.

Geostationary
2013-11-26, 03:01 AM
Can I go ahead and found the Diceless Heresy, or do I actually have to join first?

Us heretics must stick together in our rejection of orthodox D20 theology! Though originally formed from those who see past the need for randomizers, we ally with all who reject the tenets of the Church of the D20.

We'll have to come up with suitably pretentious titles though.

Morph Bark
2013-11-26, 04:26 AM
I love how this backfired in a good way.

The story structure of Tolkien is very little like that of a D&D adventure.

The Hobbit is very much like a D&D adventure, as is the the Fellowship of the Ring, even though his later works may not be.

And who's Leiber?

Eldan
2013-11-26, 04:47 AM
Fritz Leiber. He wrote the Lankhmar series. Short stories and novels about Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser, a duo of adventurers. They are basically D&D novels written before D&D was invented. Fafhrd is a barbarian (though his class is more ranger, he never rages), Mouser is a Rogue with ranks in UMD who specializes in daggers and slings.

Modern readers may know it from Discworld. Rincewind runs into characters inspired by the duo just outside Ankh-Morpork in Colour of Magic. The city of Ankh-Morpork was, in early versions, also inspired by Lankhmar, especially the idea of criminal guilds at war with each other.

D20ragon
2013-11-26, 07:02 AM
Us heretics must stick together in our rejection of orthodox D20 theology! Though originally formed from those who see past the need for randomizers, we ally with all who reject the tenets of the Church of the D20.

We'll have to come up with suitably pretentious titles though.
Is this ironic that I created the church of the D20, yet love storytelling more then anything?

The church regrets the fact that you have thrown off its beliefs, but wishes the Way of the Flavorful backstory luck, for we realize that without story, D&D is nothing but math, and tedious math at that. Instead of being rivals, let us be allies, each representing a half of D&D, each relying on the other!

D20ragon
2013-11-26, 07:04 AM
I don't care much for orthodoxy which equates DND to all RPGs. Open your eyes, learn of other gamer churches, and start a dialogue with them!

I intend to. My church is one of open thinking, and accepts all other churches.

Alejandro
2013-11-26, 09:26 AM
Take all of my internets.

Thank you. There's like 2 or 3 levels in that one :)

Alexkubel
2013-12-01, 04:06 PM
oh Blessed D20 I can see thou light [insert more holy text here]

I like the idea of the title: 'Escaped Die of The D20'

on a side note how many is there before me, I'm counting 3 great ones, the DM of the holy D20 D20ragon, The critical chance of the D20 _volcan_, The Save-or-Die of the D20 Tychris1.

D20ragon
2013-12-01, 07:05 PM
Those are the only who have joined the faith, sadly. Add your title to your sig, and welcome to the church!

Jay R
2013-12-01, 10:42 PM
I intend to. My church is one of open thinking, and accepts all other churches.

Yeah? The church of Fate preaches that all symbols of luck (cards, dice, etc.) are wrong and evil. Co-opt that one with your d20.

Zaydos
2013-12-01, 11:00 PM
All this mention of Leiber (who was interviewed in Dragon 1 back in the day) and Howard (who would be my #1 choice actually) and no mention of Michael Moorcock (Elric is his biggest one for D&D probably, big one for the Law/Chaos alignment system of early D&D), Poul Anderson (D&D trolls come straight from him, Moorcock took the Law/Chaos alignment system from the same story D&D took trolls), Jack Vance (wrote a fantasy anthology between the Hobbit and LotR which introduced Vancian casting), or H.P. Lovecraft?

No brains
2013-12-02, 12:02 AM
What about d30s and d16s? Also, nobody loves d12. It's always just 2d6. Higher averages and a louder clatter when rolled.

137beth
2013-12-02, 12:10 AM
Bah! The D20 tries in vain to emulate the mighty D4! Die heretics!

Tychris1
2013-12-02, 12:21 AM
Bah! The D20 tries in vain to emulate the mighty D4! Die heretics!

........ You dare mention such blasphemous tools to desecrate the holy name of the d20!?!?!?!?!

*Grips Cast in Stone/Mass Drown/Wail of the Banshee/Weird/Sphere of Ultimate Destruction*

BURN HERETIC! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe-kGakx3CQ)

Slipperychicken
2013-12-02, 01:18 AM
What about d30s and d16s?

IIRC, these strange, exotic dice were not mentioned in the holy scriptures I have read. I would denounce them as heresy, but that is beyond my ken as a mere initiate.

Also, nobody loves d12. It's always just 2d6. Higher averages and a louder clatter when rolled.

It is true that the d6 enjoys much greater popularity among laypersons in their lesser games for its comparative simplicity and elegance. It is a mere cube, making it easy to manufacture and comprehend, yet multiples of it (even 2d6) create a distribution which approximates a normal curve. It even has songs sung of it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54VJWHL2K3I). These are all good things.

However, we need not disparage the humble d12 in comparison, as it has its own uses, even if we need call upon its blessing only sparingly. It favors savage peoples and the undead, who pray to it for hit points and damage above all else, though it sometimes may gift other warriors with resilience. Though it is not often rolled, it still earns its place upon the gaming table altar. This is more than can be said for the d16, which is not invoked at all in the Great Game.

D20ragon
2013-12-02, 06:53 AM
All this mention of Leiber (who was interviewed in Dragon 1 back in the day) and Howard (who would be my #1 choice actually) and no mention of Michael Moorcock (Elric is his biggest one for D&D probably, big one for the Law/Chaos alignment system of early D&D), Poul Anderson (D&D trolls come straight from him, Moorcock took the Law/Chaos alignment system from the same story D&D took trolls), Jack Vance (wrote a fantasy anthology between the Hobbit and LotR which introduced Vancian casting), or H.P. Lovecraft?

Good point. I really like moorcocks work, but if I wrote down every fantasy writer who inspired D&D, or inspired me personally, it would be a Very Long list indeed.

Jay R
2013-12-02, 10:56 AM
... Moorcock took the Law/Chaos alignment system from the same story D&D took trolls ...

Umm, trolls date back at least to Beowulf.

What about d30s and d16s? Also, nobody loves d12. It's always just 2d6. Higher averages and a louder clatter when rolled.

They are not fully regular. The d30 is a Catalan solid, not a Platonic one. (The d16 is even worse.) They do not belong in discussions of the d4, d6, d8. d12, and d20.

Eldan
2013-12-02, 11:39 AM

Yes, but they are usually neither green or do they regenerate.

The Oni
2013-12-02, 01:35 PM

They are not fully regular. The d30 is a Catalan solid, not a Platonic one. (The d16 is even worse.) They do not belong in discussions of the d4, d6, d8. d12, and d20.

Nonplatonic Apostasy!

...That sounds like a good name for a Black Metal band.

Doorhandle
2013-12-03, 06:25 AM
We are missing an important missive here: What role do the munchkins and mini-maxers play? Are they saints, devils, both or neither? Is pun-pun to be canonized? The ruby knight windicator to be demonized? The rainbow savant to be feared, but loved?

And for that matter, where does Old man Henderson fit in?

D20ragon
2013-12-03, 06:49 AM
They are akin to demigods, granted great power to do as they will with.Old man Henderson is the greatest of these demigods.

Lord Raziere
2013-12-03, 10:48 AM
The Way of the Flavorful Backstory on the other hand, looks down upon such beings. such beings are not worthy of worship, for they ignore the true art and intent of roleplaying for the numbers, for manipulating the system that is only there to uphold the greater, higher purpose, their end is not to make a character that is harmonious with the group, world and GM, but to exploit and destroy, to dominate, and therefore is not of the Way. Similarly, Min-maxing, the art that lead to such beings existence, is also not of the Way, for it it focusing on the system and ignoring the real purpose of roleplaying.

Tychris1
2013-12-03, 11:31 AM
The Way of the Flavorful Backstory on the other hand, looks down upon such beings. such beings are not worthy of worship, for they ignore the true art and intent of roleplaying for the numbers, for manipulating the system that is only there to uphold the greater, higher purpose, their end is not to make a character that is harmonious with the group, world and GM, but to exploit and destroy, to dominate, and therefore is not of the Way. Similarly, Min-maxing, the art that lead to such beings existence, is also not of the Way, for it it focusing on the system and ignoring the real purpose of roleplaying.

But would not Old Man Henderson be a High ranking Demigod in The Way of the Flavorful Backstory? He wielded a backstory more akin to a tome then a simple character sheet, and his story is one of epic deeds and an ultimately satisfying ending crafted by the DM himself. I do not mean to intrude upon your Way, but as a follower of Old Man Henderson I must interject in his defense.

Volcan
2013-12-03, 04:41 PM
I change my title to the DM-PC of the d20"

D20ragon
2013-12-03, 04:44 PM
I must agree. Henderson is the link between our two philosophies, and should be revered by both.

Lord Raziere
2013-12-03, 08:19 PM
But would not Old Man Henderson be a High ranking Demigod in The Way of the Flavorful Backstory? He wielded a backstory more akin to a tome then a simple character sheet, and his story is one of epic deeds and an ultimately satisfying ending crafted by the DM himself. I do not mean to intrude upon your Way, but as a follower of Old Man Henderson I must interject in his defense.

No.

his backstory was crafted with the intention of being abused, of being murky and hard to read than clear, of allowing the person to get away with antics that they should not. he was only created because the person's GM was supposedly being a jerk or something. he is a character born of disharmony of the group, a character born as a tool of destruction, and meant to be nothing more than that. the GM may have deserved it, Henderson may not be wrong, and what the player did was not wrong.

But it was not of the Way.

D20ragon
2013-12-03, 08:24 PM
Perhaps not, but you must admit, his tale, not his character sheet, is what entertains.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-03, 08:44 PM
Perhaps not, but you must admit, his tale, not his character sheet, is what entertains.

Did anyone ever post his stats?

Reality Glitch
2013-12-09, 01:32 AM
I think I'm still one of the early ones to get D20.

_Brone_
2013-12-09, 03:49 PM
i shall join the church of the d20 (can a be the loader of the d20?)

D20ragon
2013-12-09, 03:54 PM
I believe you are the last who can call themselves high priest of the D20. Somebody correct if I am wrong.

DSmaster21
2013-12-09, 04:02 PM
I would like to join the church of d20. Since all the d20 Titles are gone, I think that makes me D12 of D20.

_Brone_
2013-12-09, 04:44 PM
wait i can be the loader of the d20 sweet

(the die loader)
come to my shop thou noble die roller
for you will sigh to see that my die shall never roll
a 1
a 2
a 3
a 4
a 5 well actually some times but hey i cant be perfect
a 6
a 7
a 8
a 9
ahhhh you get the idea

except for a 20 that is the number you shall roll

thedarkstone
2013-12-10, 12:02 PM
I accept the ways of the icosahedron. Give me a title, O Patriarchal Figure.

D20ragon
2013-12-10, 03:51 PM
Rise, a D12 of the D20.

Volcan
2013-12-10, 05:22 PM
can u make a table at the beginning of th thread for all the mambers and thier ranks

LordChaos13
2013-12-11, 11:49 PM
We are missing an important missive here: What role do the munchkins and mini-maxers play? Are they saints, devils, both or neither? Is pun-pun to be canonized? The ruby knight windicator to be demonized? The rainbow savant to be feared, but loved?

And for that matter, where does Old man Henderson fit in?

Although I be a simple D12 I put forward the following scripture to elucidate what I believe to be the intended words of the Most Holy Prophet D20ragon
For His words, while holy are intended for a world not our own, a utopian society free of dissent and disharmony such that Henderson came about

While it is our struggle to create a world where His teachings may be universal and free of translation, to do so They must be so translated.

While the Great D20 is God Above, the Deity of All He cannot encompass all, this is evident by the creation of the Most Holy Gygax among others
Thus I propose there exist lower Gods. Not demigods as other theologians have theorised but truly divine beings
PunPun the God of RAW, enforcing the scriptures be followed from the Holy Tome selected by the person, holding them accountable for their chosen text, even should they adopt one of the other major Sects of the Great D20 such as 4e or the original texts of the 1st edition. While maligned he serves a vital role in the cosmology. Lawful
Ruby Knight Windicator the God of Power, showing the power of minmaxing, how the pursuit of a single purpose grants power beyond dreams
Batman Wizard, God of preparation. Players and DMs alike are shown the shining example of preparing for the situation with this arcane divinity.
Drake Maximumus Percival Charleston. God of Equality. While reviled by many the divine version of the DMPC is the link between players and DMs showing that all must gain entertainment not just one side of the table
There are many more, as many as the Greek Pantheon of old, including gods of house rules, storytelling, Henderson etc. but my time is sorely lacking to fully elucidate this expansion of the Holy Prophet's words

D20ragon
2013-12-12, 06:45 AM
Bravo! These words shall henceforth be added to our scripture.

DSmaster21
2013-12-13, 04:24 PM
can u make a table at the beginning of th thread for all the mambers and thier ranks

This would be helpful. (On the previous page I was unsure if you were speaking to thedarkstone or I.)

Beige Dragon
2013-12-15, 09:55 PM
The D20 is not worthy for worship! I, as prophet of the (un)natural 1, decree that the true greatest sided dice is the d1, whose form is so non-euclidian, that you're mortal eyes cannot witness it! Let the cult of the unnatural one strike down those of the D20! D1 fhtang!

LordChaos13
2013-12-15, 10:03 PM
Heretic! You profess worship of the Sphere! That Which Has No Corners?
That is the domain of the Light-Dwellers, and even they must Pass the sphere away to another lest it corrupt them totally. Giving it to the opposition's Altar (goal net thingy in soccer)

Alexkubel
2013-12-16, 07:36 AM
I will not say that non-Euclidian geometry is wrong, but the sphere is pointless to roll, for it will always roll the same, the gods choice is non-mattering, there is nothing holy about the spheres roll, only a continual stream of 1 until it leaves the table. that is why the D1 is unholy, because no god would be so dull.

Volcan
2013-12-16, 04:03 PM
kill heretic u will be burnt if u will not Convert COnvert CONVERT!!!!!!

Reality Glitch
2013-12-16, 04:54 PM
E X T E R M I N A T E ! ! ! !

Beige Dragon
2013-12-16, 05:51 PM
Yes, I profess the mastery and greatness of the holy sphere! It is the supreme rolling device, and the true heir to the throne of rolling gods! The D20 and its kin are all abominations, to be struck down from the table, and burnt! Many profess anger at their dice rolling badly, but you see, the D1 will always roll the number you want and expect, never failing to please you're calculations!

D20ragon
2013-12-16, 06:00 PM
Yes, but sadly, the number you roll is always...one.
Making it near useless for D&D purposes. Whereas the favored of the D20 may reside in peace, knowing their dice are blessed.

Volcan
2013-12-16, 09:54 PM
So many heretic they should be banned from this forum. WTF is the point of the d1 wen if u were actually smart u could easily figure out what the die roll will be rather than wasting the arm strength.

Reality Glitch
2013-12-16, 10:08 PM
Exercise, I guess.

D20ragon
2013-12-17, 06:47 AM
So many heretic they should be banned from this forum. WTF is the point of the d1 wen if u were actually smart u could easily figure out what the die roll will be rather than wasting the arm strength.

Please refrain from saying such words. Though these people are mistaken, they are all gamers, and therefor chosen people of our Deity,though they refuse to see its glory.

Jay R
2013-12-17, 10:34 AM
... the true greatest sided dice is the d1, whose form is so non-euclidian, that you're mortal eyes cannot witness it!

Yes, you can (http://www.shapeways.com/model/325914/d1-sphere-dice.html?li=search-results&materialId=6).

Reality Glitch
2013-12-17, 10:54 AM
That link don't work, every time I try to click on it, it moves out of the way.

Alexkubel
2013-12-17, 12:03 PM
Works for me

also I propose dividing all deities/forms of belief into three categories

Dice god, to know your abilities is to know when you wont do it.
e.g. the great D20

Ways of the story, for no character is complete as purely some stats
e.g. way of the flavourful backstory

Pointless gods, those deities that don't serve any point but still should be there to witness the combined greatness
e.g. D1

D20ragon
2013-12-17, 03:57 PM
Thy theory is accepted, and will be added to the charter when I have time.

Volcan
2013-12-17, 03:59 PM
Please refrain from saying such words. Though these people are mistaken, they are all gamers, and therefor chosen people of our Deity,though they refuse to see its glory.

i am sorry but they make me angry i will control myself next time

D20ragon
2013-12-17, 04:07 PM
i am sorry but they make me angry i will control myself next time

Hmmm. That anger must be put to good use.

I dub thee...INQUISITOR OF THE D20!

Volcan
2013-12-17, 05:01 PM
Do u expect the d20 inquisition?

Nobody expects the d20 inquisition!

Thanks

Slipperychicken
2013-12-18, 02:00 PM
Yes, you can (http://www.shapeways.com/model/325914/d1-sphere-dice.html?li=search-results&materialId=6).

OH GOD MY EYES MAKE IT STOP!

IA IA! D1 FTAGN!

Morph Bark
2013-12-20, 12:17 PM
The D20 is not worthy for worship! I, as prophet of the (un)natural 1, decree that the true greatest sided dice is the d1, whose form is so non-euclidian, that you're mortal eyes cannot witness it! Let the cult of the unnatural one strike down those of the D20! D1 fhtang!

If you want to go truly unnatural, go d7.

It the only way to not roll, baby.

LordChaos13
2013-12-20, 07:10 PM
If you want to go truly unnatural, go d7.

It the only way to not roll, baby.

D7s can be made, they are just hellishly hard to decipher, what with giving 2 different answers depending on how one looks at it

Reality Glitch
2013-12-20, 07:16 PM
Unless you printed the numbers on it in a similar way as the d4 w/ the numbers on the corner/edge.

_Brone_
2013-12-24, 10:00 AM
friends, friends the D-20 has seen fit to strike me with a glimpse of ENLIGHTENMENT. yes the D-1 can not be seen by mortals such as us, this hinting that it has much power, but....... the D-20 can roll a 1, this is living proof that the D-20 embodies ALL dice whether their number is great or small. the D-20 is the D is the Die, it is all dice.

Reality Glitch
2013-12-24, 02:14 PM
3 words: Thirty sided die.

D20ragon
2013-12-24, 02:49 PM
You speak of such things? Explain, or perhaps the Inquisiter can... Persuade you...

Of course, your answer is needless. The D30 is under the the D20's domain as well, as are all dice.

_Brone_
2013-12-24, 02:59 PM
all i mean to say is that the D-20 is lord over all dice, and so is it not possible that they are all manifested by the great and powerful D-20?

D20ragon
2013-12-24, 03:02 PM
I was speaking to Brother Reality Glitch. Your concept is a good one, Brother Brone.

Reality Glitch
2013-12-24, 03:19 PM
The D30 is under the the D20's domain as well, as are all dice.You cannot roll a natural 30 on a twenty sided die. The d20 may be Jupiter, but the d30 and d100 are Saturn and Uranus.

D20ragon
2013-12-24, 03:26 PM
Tell me, how often are the D100 and D30 rolled?

Reality Glitch
2013-12-24, 03:35 PM
That's besides the point. They may not be greater, but they are not w/in.

_Brone_
2013-12-24, 04:02 PM
ahhh but mr. glitch you have forgotten that the D-20 can roll a 1 and a 3, and since 0's can not be rolled, it voids all 0's make a D-30 a D-3 and a D-100 a D-1. And the only reason that the D-20 has a 0 in it is because it is THE D-20

Reality Glitch
2013-12-24, 04:09 PM
EXTRA HERESY!!!! *BLAM BLAM*

One cannot say that one die size is another when they are already determined to be separate and different.

I also have photographic evidence of a d0.

D20ragon
2013-12-24, 04:23 PM
Silence! The Grand and First Dm of the D20 speaks!
All dice pale before the D20! There is no other Die before it! This is the answer to our dilemma. The D20 is the greatest, therefor we do not trouble ourselves with lesser dice. They simply are, and therefor part of the D20's plan. Let us cease this infighting, and turn our thoughts to the betterment of our Gaming.

http://cghub.com/images/download/97713/

Merry Christmas. May all your criticals conform.

_Brone_
2013-12-24, 04:36 PM
on a better note MARRY CHRISTMAS!!:smallsmile:

and also mr. glitch i would like to see this D-0 that you speak of it interests me
greatly:smallconfused:

Lord Raziere
2013-12-24, 04:56 PM
The Way of the Flavorful Backstory sends seasons greetings from Santa Rorshach. :smallbiggrin:

Reality Glitch
2013-12-24, 07:04 PM
Hazaa!
http://i.4cdn.org/tg/src/1387929794769.png

Alexkubel
2013-12-25, 04:44 PM
In my deep studies which unfortunately yielded less then satisfy results I can conclude, a D-0 has the sides equal to the value of D. it is different from the D20 and the D1, for it only exists in once place, the binary world. where 0 is an number not a theorised thing.

Geostationary
2013-12-25, 05:49 PM
It falls to the Diceless Heresy to correct you. While the D20 may claim dominion over dice, its throne is a false one. It cannot account for nor claim power over that which needs not dice, and is thus found wanting.

And have a very (heterodox) Christmas/Holiday/et al according to your faith, traditions, or lack thereof.

D20ragon
2013-12-25, 09:33 PM
I find your claim groundless. In what way is life not completely random? In what way is the D20 not supreme? Do we not frequent this very forum dedicated to its practice?

Actually, no sermon today. Happy Holidays to all! :smallbiggrin:

Reality Glitch
2013-12-26, 02:46 AM
In what way is life not completely random?Free will.

D20ragon
2013-12-26, 09:39 AM
When has D&D not supported free will in character choices?

Volcan
2013-12-26, 09:45 AM
i am sorry i wasnt around to support the debate but ye who claims that the D20 is not the most powerful is a very confused man and they should leran that in RPG HELL

D20ragon
2013-12-26, 09:53 AM
Indeed. Where one is forced to play FATAL all day long.

However, Brother Reality Glitch is not wholly wrong. Some are, indeed, not governed by dice, no matter who much we try to bring the light of gaming to them.

Volcan
2013-12-26, 11:39 AM
i was more talking about geostationary then reality glitch for reality glitch is a great man even if he is a heretic

Reality Glitch
2013-12-26, 12:55 PM
How so, D20ragon asked a question and I answered to the best of my ability, free will is no completely random.

D20ragon
2013-12-26, 12:57 PM
I agree! You are not a Heretic in my eyes.

Geostationary
2013-12-27, 12:45 AM
The D20 is unnecessary- that there are RPGs that lack dice at all is proof enough. Even the Way of the Flavorful Backstory has no need for dice in its theology; why worship that which is but an accessory to the RPG? Honor your D20, raise it up- but do not enthrone that which is undeserving.

D20ragon
2013-12-27, 07:34 AM
Aye, what you say is true. We have simply chosen to revere those games which do use dice, and the D20, which is their master. I do not disagree with you, or the way of the flavorful backstory, you both are correct, as am I.

Reality Glitch
2013-12-27, 01:01 PM
What one of you said has to be at least partly wrong the d20 can't be both the greatest and not the greatest at the same time. Unless it's a quantum thing.:smallconfused:

D20ragon
2013-12-27, 01:12 PM
For us it is, for him it is not. Let us practice tolerance, until our sect is threatened. Then we shall strike with no mercy at our enemies.

Reality Glitch
2013-12-27, 02:11 PM
I meant no hostility, I am merely perplexed by the paradox in your statement.

Lord Raziere
2013-12-27, 03:58 PM
The Way of the Flavorful Backstory, cares not. dice are only the tool. systems are only channels. good roleplaying is what matters.

The Way for example, only rejects things like FATAL because it is an inherently bad tool, something unworthy of being wielded, like a blade badly forged. you do not worship the sword, the hammer, the axe. you worship the hand that wields it, and find the best sword, the best hammer, the best axe, for that hand to wield, for your hand deserves the best, yes?

D20ragon
2013-12-27, 04:24 PM
Certainly! The worshipers of the D20 do not engage in die-worship, as holding such idols in power is foolhardy. Rather, the D20 is an emblem, of both die and roleplay, to remind us of the fact that all pale before the power of gaming. And in a game where dice determine the very reality of all, is it not fitting to worship the D20, king of all games?

Alexkubel
2013-12-27, 04:42 PM
when given the choice we all roll the metaphorical die, such is the often that we roll it that we don't even realise all the complications and modifiers. the dice themselves are merely like a clerk to a god, a channel of power (a very apt comparison).

The dullest thing is just telling a story as a group, without dice this is what role-play essentially is. A system is what puts the dice to use, like software in a computer, it makes the dice mean things and give use to them. and a system and dice alone are boring, there must be some story. without all three elements it is incomplete.

the terrible thing about modern videogames is, the lack of said story.