PDA

View Full Version : Construct on Construct action!

unseenmage
2013-11-25, 12:28 AM
I'm looking to build a Monstrous Lycanthrope (from Advanced Bestiary) where the base creature has to be some form of Warforged and the lycan form is another type of Construct.

This is for a 3.5 game, 16th level, no more than +2 LA. Character is an Artificer (possibly even a Psionic Artificer), any 3.0, 3rd party, or homebrew with permission only. (Though I would prefer to avoid 'brew altogether.) Game is mid op.
Embedded Warforged Components are important so the base form of Warforged is set.

The original idea was to be the Construct Incredible Hulk. But the lack of Large Constructs within the LA range seems to have stymied that idea.

Thoughts Playground? What Construct would you were-creature into?

Deophaun
2013-11-25, 12:32 AM
Not sure if this actually works, but if it could be done...

I'd want my warforged to change into a were-Semi :smallbiggrin:

MonochromeTiger
2013-11-25, 12:34 AM

auto-forged, rapidly mutate and roll out?

unseenmage
2013-11-25, 12:41 AM

Would be an Animated Object. Which is one of the example creatures for the template. though by RAW it turns out that it might retain it's Dispellable quality.

lytokk
2013-11-25, 10:20 AM
I remember looking into the idea of a warforged lycanthrope a while back, and found out it doesn't work. Something about the warforged immunities makes them immune to lycanthropy (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20070702a). Or it was stated in lycanthropy that only humanoids and giants can become were-creatures, and as living constructs, warforged aren't available targets.

Fouredged Sword
2013-11-25, 10:38 AM
I think there is a spell that turns you into a lycanthrope. Mix this with the spell that grants you the humanoid type temporarily.

Once the illness becomes a template, you can let your type switch back, though I think you are permenanty a monstrous humanoid.

dysprosium
2013-11-25, 01:01 PM
Assuming your DM has already ok'd your idea to use the template . . . Warforged Charger (MMIII iirc) might be something you could change into.

If instead you are looking to be a shapechanging warforged, may I suggest taking Wildshape Ranger base class into either Master of Many Forms or Primeval prestige classes.

By rule from Races of Eberron, the composite plating stays with the warforged even while wildshaped. Master of Many Forms would give you lots of different options to change into. Primeval would give you one (most likely quite awesome) animal choice to change into.

lytokk
2013-11-25, 01:07 PM
Assuming your DM has already ok'd your idea to use the template . . . Warforged Charger (MMIII iirc) might be something you could change into.

If instead you are looking to be a shapechanging warforged, may I suggest taking Wildshape Ranger base class into either Master of Many Forms or Primeval prestige classes.

By rule from Races of Eberron, the composite plating stays with the warforged even while wildshaped. Master of Many Forms would give you lots of different options to change into. Primeval would give you one (most likely quite awesome) animal choice to change into.

This is just a thought based on Primeval. Part of the fluff requires you to change into a prehistoric type creature. Now, I'm not going to assume you're playing in eberron, but I'm guessing the OP might be. Considering primeval, did they ever stat out the Xendrik warforged? the ones that current warforged are based on? The ones built by the Giant/cyclopean races? If so, I'd say those older warforged predated history, and are thus prehistoric. Just a thought.

Also, Primeval would be much closer to the lycanthrope template than wildshape would be, based on my recent attempt at making a lycanthrope.

dysprosium
2013-11-25, 01:28 PM
I agree the Primeval would be closer to being a lycanthrope in this case. The primeval form can be assumed by using wild shape too.

As far as Xendrik warforged go--I never realized that they were a thing. My extent of knowing about Eberron stays in Khorvaire.

lytokk
2013-11-25, 01:47 PM
Definitely a thing. The warforged artifacts came from Xenrik, the wings being the first ones that come to mind. Its more or less said that House Cannith discovered the process for warforged creation while on an expedition in Xendrik. I just never read any of the novels or most of th later sourcebooks to say if an intact Xendrik warforged was ever discovered.

Prime32
2013-11-25, 01:57 PM
Considering primeval, did they ever stat out the Xendrik warforged? the ones that current warforged are based on? The ones built by the Giant/cyclopean races? If so, I'd say those older warforged predated history, and are thus prehistoric. Just a thought.Yeah, they're in Secrets of Xen'drik - it's a CR +0 template that turns them into true Constructs which lack sentience but have slightly better natural attacks and armor.

Also the drow used old creation forges to build warforged scorpions as part of their uprising, which are Int 4.

Psyren
2013-11-25, 02:01 PM
This makes me wonder - can you make a Lycanthrope Effigy? And if so, can it transform between animal/humanoid/hybrid robotic forms?

MonochromeTiger
2013-11-25, 02:06 PM
honestly I'm kind of curious why a template can't be made simply to say that a construct like creature has the ability to reassemble its body structure into a few set forms which would simply be the same body shape as their fleshy counterparts.

unseenmage
2013-11-25, 05:19 PM
Definitely a thing. The warforged artifacts came from Xenrik, the wings being the first ones that come to mind. Its more or less said that House Cannith discovered the process for warforged creation while on an expedition in Xendrik. I just never read any of the novels or most of th later sourcebooks to say if an intact Xendrik warforged was ever discovered.

Do the Xen'drik Warforged have a LA? And if not what would an appropiate LA be?

I suspect my DM would okay Effigy or these primitive 'forged if their LA was under 2.

lytokk
2013-11-26, 08:09 AM
Yeah, they're in Secrets of Xen'drik - it's a CR +0 template that turns them into true Constructs which lack sentience but have slightly better natural attacks and armor.

Also the drow used old creation forges to build warforged scorpions as part of their uprising, which are Int 4.

as stated, in secrets of Xen'Drik, and a LA 0, so no problems there.