PDA

View Full Version : The Chicane Guild: A Slaughtergarde Addendum

Reptilius
2007-01-12, 05:28 PM
Ever DM'd Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde? I have. It's fairly simple to run, with things to aid both new and experienced DMs. Now that I'm no longer reading the back of the folder, some thoughts about my game. My party wound up being mostly rogues, and as such did not display much of an interest in either
saving the world (i.e. Luminous Order) or forbidden knowledge (i.e. Ebon Cabal). However, the promise of money made them drool, so I took another look at the Chicane Guild, the party's employers at the beginning. A rich and somewhat ruthless guild is great for rogues, right? Exactly. Unfortunatly, they would not get the benefits they would get by working for the Ebon Cabal or Luminous Order (discounts, free stuff, prestige classes). So I designed one. And in my beneficence, I deliver it unto you.

Chicane Guild
{table=head]Affiliation Score|Title and benefits

1 or lower| None
2-4| Journeyman: Eligible for missions, gain 25% discount on products and spells bought from the guild.
5-8| Senior: Access to the Chicane Guild’s information network: You may make Gather Information checks in the Chicane Guildhall as if you made a Gather Information check in every city in the Valley of Obelisks.
9+| Senior Master: 300 gp/month salary. Once a month, you must make a DC 20 Appraise check. Failure causes you to lose 200 gp and one affiliation point.[/table]

Affiliation Score
{table=head]Criteria|Score Modifier

Character Level |+1/2 PC’s level
Cha 13+| +1
5+ ranks in Diplomacy| +1
5+ ranks in Appraise| +1
Wealth| +1/20,000 gp
Levels in Debt Collector or Caravan Guard| +2
Complete guild mission| +2/mission
Humiliate an enemy| +2
Donate Money/ goods| +1/1,000 gp worth
Cha 8-| -2
Lose/destroy Guild property| -1/1000/gp worth
Steal from guild| -10
Refuse a mission| -4[/table]

Debt Collector

HD: D6

The Chicane Guild has great control over the Valley of Obelisks. The company controls over half of all river traffic along the Marrilach, and has operated almost all inter-town land traffic for decades. This is common knowledge throughout the Valley, and the simple flashing of the Guild sigil can cause people to become nervous and loosen their purse-strings. As any powerful merchant guild should the Chicane Guild has a special force assigned to retrieving stolen goods, unpaid debts, and secret information. And if the Guild ever has the need for a few knives in the dark, these debt collectors (or ‘collects, as they are known in the guild) are well suited to that task as well.

Requirements: Skills: Move Silently 9 ranks, Hide 9 ranks, Sleight of Hand 9 ranks, Bluff, Diplomacy, or Intimidate 9 ranks
Base Attack Bonus: +4
Feats: Deft Hands
Sneak Attack: 1d6
Special: Must have an affiliation score of 9 or higher within the Chicane Guild.

Debt Collector
{table=head]Level|Base Attack[br]Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+0|Guild ties, sneak attack + 1d6

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+0|-

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+1|Haggle, Far Lift, Sneak Attack +2d6

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|-

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|Surprised Lift, Sneak Attack +3d6

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+2|Sense Loot, Intimdating Strike

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+2|Sneak Attack +4d6

8th|
+6|
+2|
+6|
+2|Opportunistic Lift

9th|
+6|
+3|
+6|
+3|Sneak Attack + 5d6

10th|
+7|
+3|
+7|
+3|Frightened Lift, Mastery of the Trade[/table]
Class Skills(6+Int mod.) Appraise, Balance, Bluff, Climb, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Disable Device, Disguise, Escape Artist, Forgery, Gather Information, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (local), Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Perform, Profession, Search, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Speak Language, Spot, Swim, Tumble, Use Magic Device

Guild Ties(Ex): You gain a bonus on Intimidate, Diplomacy, and Gather Information equal to one-half of your debt collector levels when you show your guild symbol. Any size penalty to Intimidate skill is negated. The DM may repeal this in certain circumstances, however. The great green wyrm in the depths of the forest, for example, is unlikely to be frightened by the sneaky and economically savvy gnome.

Sneak Attack(Ex): If a debt collector can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, she can strike a vital spot for extra damage. The debt collector’s attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the a debt collector flanks her target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, and it increases by 1d6 every two levels thereafter. Should the debt collector score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied.
Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet.
With a sap (blackjack) or an unarmed strike, a debt collector can make a sneak attack that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. She cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a sneak attack, not even with the usual -4 penalty.
A debt collector can sneak attack only living creatures with discernible anatomies—undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to sneak attacks. The debt collector must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. A debt collector cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment or striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are beyond reach.

Haggle(Ex): When buying any product, you may make a Bluff, Diplomacy, or Intimidate check opposed to the seller’s Sense Motive. If you succeed, reduce the price of the product by 10%. This discount increases by 10% for each 5 points you beat the opposed roll. If you fail, the seller’s attitude worsens by one, but the cost remains the same. If the seller becomes hostile, they throw you out or drive you off.

Far Lift(Sp): You gain the use of mage hand 3 times per day plus one for each point of Cha bonus. You gain an additional use of this spell; you may use it to pick someone’s pocket. You may steal something up to 5 lbs. in weight on a successful Sleight of Hand check at the normal range for this spell.

Surprised Lift(Ex): When you attack a target denied their Dex bonus to Armor Class, you may make a free Sleight of Hand check to pick the target’s pocket at a -5 penalty as an immediate action.

Sense Loot(Sp): This ability works as detect magic, but with some changes. Instead of magic, this ability detects gems, precious metals, art objects, and Chicane Guild property. What constitutes Guild property is determined by the DM. This ability is usable 3 times per day +1 per each point of Cha bonus.

Intimidating Strike (Ex): A 6th level debt collector is as skilled at stabbing someone as they are leaning on them. The best can do both at the same time. As a standard action, a debt collector can make a single attack against a foe. She may subtract a number from this attack equal to or less than her base attack bonus, as Power Attack. If the attack hits, she can make an Intimidate check against that foe, with a bonus equal to the penalty she took on her roll. If the check succeeds, your opponent is shaken for the rest of the encounter. You may not use this to worsen an opponent's fear beyond shaken.

Opportunistic Lift(Ex): This ability is as Surprised Lift above, but also applies to attacks of Opportunity.

Frightened Lift(Ex): You gain a +4 circumstance bonus to Sleight of Hand checks used to pickpocket targets that are at least shaken.

Mastery of the Trade(Ex): Your bonuses to Intimidate, Diplomacy, Gather Information become equal to your class level. You gain a bonus equal to one-half your class level on Bluff and Sleight of Hand checks

Caravan Guard

HD:D8

Caravan guards usually do just what their name suggests; guard caravans belonging to the Chicane Guild. They are no merescouts or watchers, however. They are trained by elder guards in their incredibly agile and mobile combat style that has few peers. Whether it be goblinoids in Kurkle Ridge, dragons in the Vaathwood, or undead from Slaughterscar, the guards will pull the attacker away and dispatch them quickly and efficiently with out damaging the shipment's cargo. Their defensive talents also make them effective bodyguards, and junior guards are often sent for short tenures to protect a certain individual or area.

Requirements:Base attack bonus: +4
Feats: Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack
Special: A potential caravan guard requires a base speed higher than the norm for his race. This can be met by taking the Dash feat or having levels in Barbarian, Monk, Scout, or Ninja.
Special: Must have an affiliation score of 9 or higher within the Chicane Guild

Caravan Guard
{table=head]Level|Base Attack[br]Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Skirmish +1 AC, Provoke, Devoted Oath

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|-

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1| Skirmish +1d6,+1 AC

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Fast Movement +10 ft.

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|Skirmish +1d6 +2 AC, Fighting Talent

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+2|Step In

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+2|Skirmish +2d6 +2 AC

8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+2|Fighting Talent

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+3|Skirmish +2d6 +3 AC,

10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+3|Master Manuverer[/table]

Skills (4+ Int modifier) Balance, Bluff, Climb, Craft, Diplomacy, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Profession, Spot, Ride, Tumble, Survival

Provoke (Ex): Once per encounter per 2 class levels, a caravan guard may force an enemy to attack them. As a standard action, a caravan guard may yell and shout taunts at any enemy within 30 ft. They must make a will save (DC 10 + class level+ Cha mod) or attack you with any weapon they have at hand. If you are not within reach, they must follow you to attack you. They may switch between weapons they carry, and may make ranged attacks. If you leave line of sight, they are no longer forced to attack you. This is a mind-affecting effect.

Skirmish (Ex):A caravan guard relies on mobility to deal extra damage and improve defense. He gets a +1 competence bonus to AC in any round in which he moves at least 10 ft.. This bonuus increases by +1 for every 4 class levels. At 3rd level, the caravan guard deals an extra 1d6 damage whenever he moves at least 10 ft. This damage applies to all of his attacks that round. This bonus increases by one die for every four class levels. A caravan guard loses this ability when wearing medium or heavy armor or carrying a medium or heavy load.

Devoted Oath (Ex): A caravan guard wants to protect guild interests and perfect their combat style. These beliefs mesh well with paladin and monk philosophy. A class that has restriction for multiclassing does not count that restriction for caravan guard levels.

Fast movement (Ex): At 4th level, a caravan guard's base speed improves by 10 ft. He loses this bonus when wearing medium or heavy armor or carrying a medium or heavy load.

Fighting Talent (Ex or Su or Sp, as applicable): At 5th and 8th level, a caravan guard continues their training in their previous class. If a caravan Guard has levels in Barbarian, he gets an extra use of rage per day. If he has levels in Monk, his Unarmed damage improves as if he had gained a level in Monk.
If he has levels in Scout, his Battle Fortitude improves by one. If he has levels in a class with sneak attack, his sneak attack improves by one die. If he has levels in ninja, he can choos eto increase his sudden strike damage by one die or gain ki power as if he had gained a level in ninja. If he has levels in Samurai, he gains an extra daily use of Kiai Smite. If he has levels in Hexblade, he gains an extra daily use of Hexblade's Curse per day. If he has levels in Paladin, he gains an extra use of Smite Evil. If he has levels in Beguiler or Duskblade, his caster level increases and he learns new spells as if he had gained a level in their class. If he has levels in Swashbuckler, his dodge bonus improves by one. If he has levels in Ranger, he gets another Favored Enemy. If he has levels in more than one of these classes, he must choose which benefit to gain. If he does not have levels in any of these classes, he may choose a bonus feat from the fighter list.

Step In (Ex): A 6th level Caravan guard can grant cover to an adjacent ally or object. He must move into the target's square, which provokes attacks of opportunity. The target gains a +4 bonus to AC and all the other benfits of cover. Even if the attack hits, there is a 50% chance that the attack hits the guard instead.

Master Manuverer (Ex): A 10th level Caravan guard is at the pinnacle of his style. All special abilities restricted by armor or load have the maximum level increased. For example, A monk with 10 levels in caravan guard could apply her Wis bonus to AC even in light armor. This does not apply to arcane spellcastig or invocations, nor does it grant any armor proficiencies.

Reptilius
2007-01-13, 10:52 AM
Caravan Guard PrC is now up!

Ultimatum479
2007-01-13, 11:15 AM
On my way out. I'll post something more detailed when I return. For now, just wondering if the Caravan Guard needs a minimum Chicane Guild affiliation score too. Anywho, good classes. Again, more details later, sorry. ;)

Reptilius
2007-01-13, 12:41 PM
You're right. I guess I forgot to put that in. Fixing.

Ultimatum479
2007-01-13, 02:00 PM
Back.

Debt Collector first. I know nothing about this campaign setting and, therefore, about the Chicane Guild, but I like this guy nonetheless.

He needs some way to scare people, though, so Frightened Lift can have a purpose. He's got Intimidate, but that only lasts a round. Perhaps add to Frightened Lift (or maybe to Mastery of the Trade) that he can make an Intimidate check to frighten someone in combat as a swift action instead of a free action? The class is far from overpowered, so that wouldn't be an unfair addition.

Also, Surprised Lift should probably be a free action instead of an immediate action. One can already make a Sleight of Hand check as a free action at a -20 penalty, so you're just reducing the penalty to -5 if you land an attack against an opponent who's lost their Dex to AC. And does Opportune Lift still require your opponent to be flat-footed? That doesn't happen often if they're doing something which provokes an AoO...

Minor things, all of those. Cool class. Onto the Caravan Guard.

The level 9 Fighting Talent should be moved to level 8, I think. Dead levels aren't bad early on like the level 2 dead level there, but they're very annoying at higher levels like your level 8 one...Also, you don't have any Fighting Talent bonuses for Rogues. (Or Sorcerers or Wizards, but I assume that's intentional, as Fighting Talent doesn't really help with their abilities.)

I like Provoke, by the way. Forcing someone to attack with a weapon is useful to force spellcasters into melee range (if you can beat their Will saves) although it's useless against ranged attackers except to help out a pinned-down friend.

Well, that's my input for now. Not much to criticize; I like the flavor and they're balanced. ^_^

Reptilius
2007-01-13, 04:34 PM
Opportunistic Lift applies to all attacks of opportunity, not just flat-footed ones. The caravan does have a fighting talent for rogues, too. Their sneak attack damage improves by one die.

EDIT: did what you suggested

Ultimatum479
2007-01-13, 06:52 PM
Ooh, I like Intimidating Strike. Better than my suggestion. Although it's a bit overpowered if it doesn't have a limit, because A: it lasts the entire encounter; and B: you're basically giving the Debt Collector the Power Attack feat, then. Perhaps it should have a "once per target each encounter" limit or something. Unless you _want_ to effectively give them Power Attack, which, again, probably wouldn't be overpowered. Debt Collectors have room for more power if you feel like it, I think. Caravan Guards don't, though. ^_^

Reptilius
2007-01-13, 07:17 PM
Maybe I didn't make it clear in the description. I was comparing the penalty/bonus thing to Power Attack. It's the same, just replace bonus damage with a bonus to Intimidate.

Ultimatum479
2007-01-13, 07:18 PM
Yeah, that's what I thought you wanted to do, which is why I was surprised at what you wrote. You wrote that the bonus was equal to "damage dealt". ^_^ Try "with a bonus equal to the amount by which she reduced her attack roll" or something.

Reptilius
2007-01-13, 07:20 PM
Oh, I did. Well then. I see the confusion. Fixing.

Reptilius
2007-01-18, 07:27 PM
I do not bump this thread for my greed and need for attention. Rather, I do it to shed light on the miracle of the homebrewed Chicane Guild. Plus I want feedback.