PDA

View Full Version : D&D the animated series

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-01-12, 06:23 PM
I was in Best Buy earlier today, and was browing the TV section of DVD's and came upon the complete D&D animated series which ran from 1984-86. I'm just curious as to who here is familiar with it. Seeing as I was born two years before the show started coupled with the fact that I've only been playing D&D for about 5 years now, I'm not. I think I was vaguely aware of it's existence, but other than that, not so much. I also saw the animated Legend of Zelda complete series on DVD while I was there too. But I know about that and have seen an episode of two of that before.

elgrabadula
2007-01-13, 02:36 AM
i think its on cartoon network but i dont like it its too dumb and dont follow some of the rules ( i emailed them and said put a colossalal++ golden plysmatic dragon hehe they need to die!!!!!!)

Matthew
2007-01-13, 06:46 AM
That show was part of my childhood, along with The Mysterious Cities of Gold and Uysseus 31. Classics of their time. The Dungeons & Dragons Cartoon was released on DVD here in the UK a few years back and I had the chance to watch it again. Very good, was my verdict. The new release in conjunction with Hasbro is something I would definitely like to get my hands on.

qube
2007-01-15, 03:02 AM
i watched the show when i was really small, (a year or 5) in frensh (so i didn't understand it :D ). i didn't even know it was DnD until about a month ago i saw it on the WotC forum

CaptainSam
2007-01-15, 12:15 PM
I'm suspecting we're the same age-ish, Matthew. I remember all of those with great fondness. Who want a sword/laser gun thingy? And a power shield? And a great big spaceship with an eye in the middle of it? Or a giant, golden flying metal bird/plane?

Elgrabadula>> Of course they don't follow the rules! How do you think that 1st level characters got their hands on near epic-level equipment like that? Or didn't kill and eat that bloody unicorn when they were hungry? That would have been the first thing to go if I was playing them!

smellie_hippie
2007-01-15, 01:01 PM
Agreed! This cartoon was a staple of my sugar-laden Saturday morning ritual. (picturing a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon panel). I loved every minute of it. We played the D & D box set (not A D & D mind you) and had a blast!

CaptainSam
2007-01-15, 01:06 PM
Red box or blue, Hippie?

smellie_hippie
2007-01-15, 02:28 PM
Blue. Plus I had the "Expert Edition" for higher levels...

CaptainSam
2007-01-16, 06:02 PM
Ooh, get you! What colour was that? I seem to recall a yellow box too. Or am I making that up?

smellie_hippie
2007-01-16, 06:12 PM
They had a sea green box for something like level 20. Then there was a black box for up to level 50? They had a gold set for "Immortal". Only the basic set had a box with dice (and a white crayon to fill in the numbers and make the dice readable :smallamused: ) The other sets were "expansions" but no nifty gadgets.

Matthew
2007-01-16, 06:16 PM
You can see them here:

http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/dd/dd.htm