PDA

View Full Version : Pre-made oneshot characters

Duskranger
2013-11-25, 03:22 AM
I'm planning on running a module with some new or less experienced players. I'm planning on making the characters beforehand but I would like to know from the playground what characters you would think are best for relatively new players.

Thanks in advance,
Duskranger

Sir Chuckles
2013-11-25, 03:37 AM
Vanilla progression PHB characters. Especially for new players. Simplicity while being able to introduce multiple mechanics is key.

Make the characters interweave.

But the main questions are:
What level?
How many people?
3.5?
Player personalities? (Seems silly, but it can change their entire play style.)

Spore
2013-11-25, 04:01 AM
Barbarian - for the "I though you could play Conan". You could throw in a few fighter levels (Conan d20 has Fighter as well as Rogue!).

Fighter - for the one who likes simpler characters. Make a Sword and Board as well as a Twohanded weapon user.

Rogue - certainly, make it a skirmisher with dagger/short sword and bow.

Wizard - with some iconic spells that are always useful. No need to break the game with him. Alternative: Sorcerer, to avoid those "I didn't prepare the right spells" desasters.

Ranger - for an iconic archer. (I sincerely hope for you no one wants to play a TWF drow ranger).

Cleric - for a dedicated healer, and to introduce buffs to the bunch. If you want make a Druid as alternative for people who like nature more and/or have a problem with religion.

I would keep it at that.

Duskranger
2013-11-25, 04:03 AM
Vanilla progression PHB characters. Especially for new players. Simplicity while being able to introduce multiple mechanics is key.

Make the characters interweave.

But the main questions are:
What level?
How many people?
3.5?
Player personalities? (Seems silly, but it can change their entire play style.)

Not new players exclusively. Besides that, I am at least planning of bringing a beguiler as rogue.

But the answers to your questions:
2 (module says start at 1, but I prefer 2).
depends, max 4, at this moment looking like 3.
Yes, I prefer 3.5 above other versions.
Differ, not really answerable at this moment.

Classes I plan on:
Beguiler
Cleric
Barbarian

Further than that I did not think.

hymer
2013-11-25, 04:05 AM
You can help the prepared casters a lot by giving them each a list of suggested spells to prepare. Instead of needing to learn 20+ spells, they can deal with four or five to start with.

Edit: This advice is intended for new players, of course.

Duskranger
2013-11-25, 04:31 AM
You can help the prepared casters a lot by giving them each a list of suggested spells to prepare. Instead of needing to learn 20+ spells, they can deal with four or five to start with.

Edit: This advice is intended for new players, of course.

Since I make the characters before I also give them a spelllist of their spells. The prepared casters get before they rest a list that I prepared for them.

Edit: What I wonder though is what classes you would put in there and why?