PDA

View Full Version : Duskblade Shadowpouncer: Going Nova

Amakule
2013-11-25, 11:53 AM
So as we all know, a Duskblade can channel spells into his attacks. A Telflammar Shadowlord (and another I can't remember) gets Shadow Pounce, which lets them use full attacks when they teleport. Taking a hand off of a weapon is a free action.
I looked up this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239405) on attacking one's self.
For this, let's say the characters BAB is +20/+15/+10/+5.

This knowledge in mind, we have the character in front of two enemies. He channels Dimension Hop or some other teleportation spell with Arcane Channeling, and strikes the two foes, moving them near other enemies. With one of the last attacks, he takes his hand off his weapon, and attacks himself, choosing to fail his AC, teleporting himself to the group of enemies he set up. Then he does it again. And again. And again, until he runs out of spell slots with teleportation spells or enemies.

Or am I crazy and none of this works?

Nettlekid
2013-11-25, 12:05 PM
Nothing I can see seems to say this wouldn't work. In fact, it works even better than you've suggested, because the Duskblade's Full Channeling class feature says that the spell is cast as part of a full attack, sure, but discharged at the end of the ROUND, which means that since you're going to keep attacking in the same round, that first casting of Dimension Hop stands. You could go forever, basically.

I guess the one weakness would be whether or not you're allowed to attack yourself as part of a full attack. I don't think there are any rules against it, but I doubt there's much that says you can either, since I doubt it was really thought of. But it would be a pretty great trick with a Dvati even if you can't attack yourself, and it's pretty great with anyone if you can.

IAmTehDave
2013-11-25, 12:15 PM
Nothing I can see seems to say this wouldn't work. In fact, it works even better than you've suggested, because the Duskblade's Full Channeling class feature says that the spell is cast as part of a full attack, sure, but discharged at the end of the ROUND, which means that since you're going to keep attacking in the same round, that first casting of Dimension Hop stands. You could go forever, basically.

I guess the one weakness would be whether or not you're allowed to attack yourself as part of a full attack. I don't think there are any rules against it, but I doubt there's much that says you can either, since I doubt it was really thought of. But it would be a pretty great trick with a Dvati even if you can't attack yourself, and it's pretty great with anyone if you can.

As far as I'm aware, you can make touch attacks as part of a full attack action. So attack one enemy, D-hop it, attack another enemy, D-hop it, attack a third, d-hop it, then touch your leg with your sword to d-hop yourself. Get a full attack because you used a teleportation spell to move. Repeat until all enemies are dead or your DM throws the table at you?

Alternatively: Arcane Channel dimension hop to touch-attack your allies, then yourself. Because you used a Teleportation spell to move, you get a full attack with Shadow Pounce. So you use a touch attack on all your allies to teleport them, and one on yourself. Congratulations, you just crossed the world as a series of full attacks on one round.

Also alternatively: Make sure you can either fly or Feather Fall at will, and your enemy can't. Instead of using dimension hop to teleport your enemies away, teleport them straight up and you with them. D&D air juggle combo time?

(Obviously, rule 0 applies here, and your DM is well within their rights to say "No, you can't get more than one [extra] full attack in a round")

Amakule
2013-11-25, 12:21 PM
O.O
Wouldn't this mean that as a part of the second full attack action, you could channel another spell? Throw in Dispelling Touch, or something as simple as Shocking Grasp.

IAmTehDave
2013-11-25, 12:27 PM
O.O
Wouldn't this mean that as a part of the second full attack action, you could channel another spell? Throw in Dispelling Touch, or something as simple as Shocking Grasp.

Well, by the RAW of Arcane Channeling, then yes, you could. But you'd lose your Dimension Hop, since you can only have one touch spell active per hand at a time. (IIRC. I could be wrong, I'm AFB and I can't find it in the SRD)

Amakule
2013-11-25, 12:32 PM
Alternatively: Arcane Channel dimension hop to touch-attack your allies, then yourself. Because you used a Teleportation spell to move, you get a full attack with Shadow Pounce. So you use a touch attack on all your allies to teleport them, and one on yourself. Congratulations, you just crossed the world as a series of full attacks on one round.
Who needs to fly when you can just rapidly blink EVERYWHERE.

Also alternatively: Make sure you can either fly or Feather Fall at will, and your enemy can't. Instead of using dimension hop to teleport your enemies away, teleport them straight up and you with them. D&D air juggle combo time?Sending the enemies up into the air with Dimension Hop was my first idea when I saw the Duskblade. Climbing higher and higher with each attack is just cheesey icing in the form of a cherry!

IAmTehDave
2013-11-25, 12:50 PM
Who needs to fly when you can just rapidly blink EVERYWHERE.
Sending the enemies up into the air with Dimension Hop was my first idea when I saw the Duskblade. Climbing higher and higher with each attack is just cheesey icing in the form of a cherry!

Unfortunately this build doesn't work until level 17 with ToB available, or 20 without it.

Amakule
2013-11-25, 01:09 PM
Unfortunately this build doesn't work until level 17 with ToB available, or 20 without it.

Whaat? Why not?

Piggy Knowles
2013-11-25, 01:19 PM
Whaat? Why not?

Because you need 13 levels of Duskblade and four levels of Shadowlord , which requires ranks in Hide/MS and sneak attack. With ToB it's doable by level 17 if you have flaws and can spend two feats on Martial Study/Martial Stance for Assassin's Stance. Otherwise, you'll need to be level 19 (13 levels of Duskblade plus 2 levels of SA granting classes plus 4 levels of Shadowlord).

Amakule
2013-11-25, 01:48 PM
Because you need 13 levels of Duskblade and four levels of Shadowlord , which requires ranks in Hide/MS and sneak attack. With ToB it's doable by level 17 if you have flaws and can spend two feats on Martial Study/Martial Stance for Assassin's Stance. Otherwise, you'll need to be level 19 (13 levels of Duskblade plus 2 levels of SA granting classes plus 4 levels of Shadowlord).

Oh yeah. I forgot that I made the character in gestalt.
Assassin's Stance qualifies for prestige classes?! That is so cool! I decided to go with Rogue on the other side since Swordsage doesn't have Sneak Attack.

Fouredged Sword
2013-11-25, 02:53 PM
I gotta do this for an epic game at some point, just to get around the nasty monsters that can only be hit on a nat 20 and only die from HP damage.

Nettlekid
2013-11-25, 04:14 PM
This really does sound like a pretty amazing character to play, though. I kind of want this Duskblade to wield a whip, for the extra range in teleportation. Imagine appearing, lashing out rapidly, and then wrapping the whip around yourself to vanish again.

As for the whole "channel a second spell," it's true that you would lose the spell you were currently channeling, but what if you had more than one weapon (and were perhaps under the effect of Spell Flower if necessary)? Wielding a double weapon, or two one-handed weapons, plus armor spikes if need be, means you could be storing quite a few spells in your weapons and could change which weapon you attacked with if you wanted the effect of a different spell. Remember, they'll all discharge by the end of the round, so make it worth it. Still, holding any double weapon with Dimension Hop on one end and Vampiric Touch on the other means you could blend through foes, healing, and then pop over to the next group when you wanted to.

Nettlekid
2013-11-25, 07:32 PM
(Sorry for the double post)
What are all the things you can do as part of a full attack? I know that normal combat options, like Bull Rush or Trip, are on the table. Some oddities, like the Pyrokineticist's Heat Death, is a full attack action (as opposed to a full-round action).

Basically, if we abuse this Shadow Pounce to get as many full attacks as we like, is there any way to do more than just attack with them? Is there a way to say, incorporate the kinds of things that the Lasher can do as move-equivalent actions as an attack (lift stuff, put stuff down, interact with things in general, etc.)

Amakule
2013-11-25, 09:28 PM
I found the flaw. Each target can only be effected once by the spell.

Nettlekid
2013-11-25, 11:08 PM
I found the flaw. Each target can only be effected once by the spell.

Where is that stipulated? The only thing I see regarding the targets is "At 13th level, you can cast any touch spell you know as part of a full attack action, and the spell affects each target you hit in melee combat that round." Each target doesn't necessarily mean each target only once, just each target is affected by the spell.

Fable Wright
2013-11-26, 09:50 AM
Where is that stipulated? The only thing I see regarding the targets is "At 13th level, you can cast any touch spell you know as part of a full attack action, and the spell affects each target you hit in melee combat that round." Each target doesn't necessarily mean each target only once, just each target is affected by the spell.

It's tucked away in the errata, IIRC. Which makes full attack channeling rather useless on the whole, unless you're surrounded by mooks.

Nightraiderx
2013-11-26, 10:12 AM
Each target can be affected once by each spell, but if he is using Arcane Channeling over and over, each reiteration should renew since he is recasting the spell. It's a reduced effect but it should still work.

Edit: This is an awesome find, I am tempted to try it for a lvl 30 gestalt.
If you don't mind.

Also I would dip spellthief on one side, that way you can also steal spells/deal extra damage as you teleport across the field. A reach weapon would be ideal for the combo.

theIrkin
2013-11-26, 10:23 AM
Is there anything that says that you can't recast with each Full Attack? It is demonstrably true that you can get 1 extra Full Attack is you assume you can attack yourself. Just because the spell doesn't end until the round is over, why couldn't you have multiple spells that have not expired if their meaningful affect upon gameplay has been resolved? I don't think this is ever directly addressed anywhere. If this is the case, you can nova for a number of full attacks equal to n+1, where n is the number of teleportation spells you can channel through arcane channeling.

Nettlekid
2013-11-26, 11:23 AM
Each target can be affected once by each spell, but if he is using Arcane Channeling over and over, each reiteration should renew since he is recasting the spell. It's a reduced effect but it should still work.

Edit: This is an awesome find, I am tempted to try it for a lvl 30 gestalt.
If you don't mind.

Also I would dip spellthief on one side, that way you can also steal spells/deal extra damage as you teleport across the field. A reach weapon would be ideal for the combo.

Still not seeing that in the errata. I see a short PDF with PHBII errata containing things about Duskblade weapon proficiencies and the spell list, but nothing about the Full Attack Channeling.

Karnith
2013-11-26, 11:28 AM
Still not seeing that in the errata. I see a short PDF with PHBII errata containing things about Duskblade weapon proficiencies and the spell list, but nothing about the Full Attack Channeling.
It's stated in the following FAQ entry, not in the errata: Leaving its RAWness up for debate

At 13th level, the duskblade’s arcane channeling class
feature (PH2 20) says “you can cast any touch spell you
know as part of a full attack action, and the spell affects
each target you hit in melee combat that round.” If you hit
the same creature more than once during the full attack
action, does the spell affect it each time you hit?
No. The spell affects each target only once.

IAmTehDave
2013-11-26, 11:58 AM
It's stated in the following FAQ entry, not in the errata: Leaving its RAWness up for debate

Yeah that looks like a nerf of a RAI interpretation that makes duskblade 4+ much less worthwhile. If it wasn't in the original wording of the ability, and not in the official errata, I'd personally err on the side of "Let's let the character be awesome".

Nettlekid
2013-11-26, 12:06 PM
No wonder I couldn't find it.

Yeah that looks like a nerf of a RAI interpretation that makes duskblade 4+ much less worthwhile. If it wasn't in the original wording of the ability, and not in the official errata, I'd personally err on the side of "Let's let the character be awesome".

I agree with this. Limiting the spell to one hit per creature really seems to go against the point of the Full Channeling ability, since the big draw of that class feature is the ability to deal something like Shocking Grasp damage with every swing. That's what makes the Duskblade cool! And you're right, it makes that class feature useless in single combat, which is arguably when your gishy abilities should shine most.

Nightraiderx
2013-11-26, 12:46 PM
And even with that nerf the combo still persists: it's less awesome but you are STILL using arcane channeling each time you are full attacking since the casting is part of the full-attack action, with a new casting of the spell.

Nettlekid
2013-11-26, 01:18 PM
And even with that nerf the combo still persists: it's less awesome but you are STILL using arcane channeling each time you are full attacking since the casting is part of the full-attack action, with a new casting of the spell.

The big difference would be that you can only use this a number of times equal to how many times you can cast Dimension Hop, and you'd only get a maximum of two full attacks each round. Without the nerf, you can have as many as you like.

I sort of think this would make a good Santa build. How else would he get to everywhere in the world in a single nightround?

Nightraiderx
2013-11-26, 01:28 PM
Nope, prior the errata you'd be able to teleport the enemy and yourself multiple times in the full attack. After the errata, you'd still be able to teleport yourself and your enemy once PER use of arcane channeling ability, arcane channeling can be triggered as part of the full attack action, since teflammar shadowlord permits a new full attack action per teleport, you can trigger arcane channeling again, and again cast a new dimension hop that can affect a target only once.

IAmTehDave
2013-11-26, 01:35 PM
The big difference would be that you can only use this a number of times equal to how many times you can cast Dimension Hop, and you'd only get a maximum of two full attacks each round. Without the nerf, you can have as many as you like.

I sort of think this would make a good Santa build. How else would he get to everywhere in the world in a single nightround?

Actually, by the time you could do this, you have (without bonus spells) 8 2nd level spells to cast Dimension Hop with, and 9 1st level spells to Versatile Spellcaster into 4 more 2nd level spells. If your DM uses the FAQ, but allows you to recast the spell and have that be a "new spell", then you can pull 12 full attacks in a round by spending all your 2nd and 1st level spell slots.

Oh right, you can spend higher level spell slots to fuel lower level spells!

So just from 13th level duskblade casting and the most conservative reading of Versatile Spellcaster, you can take 20 full attacks in your nova round, expending every spell slot on Dimension Hop. If Versatile Spellcaster lets you trade 4 level 0 spells for a level 2, and 2 level 0 and a level 1 for a level 2, that's 22 full attacks.

You are, however, completely out of spells for the day. But if what you were fighting isn't dead from 20-22 full attacks, (nearly, since you have to spend at least one attack on hopping yourself each routine) then you probably were in trouble anyway.

Edit: Shadowpounced.

Edit2: Also remember that you don't HAVE to actually teleport the enemy with your attacks. If they fail their save, you can just teleport them 5 feet to one side so you can continue attacking. You voluntarily fail your save to teleport yourself right next to where you're standing also, and look, shadowpouncer still reads you as having teleported! So you can do this with 2 medium creatures in any 3 contiguous 5-foot squares.

Fouredged Sword
2013-11-26, 01:54 PM
But wait there's more. Take some pearls of power and rings of wizardry and GO to TOWN! 2nd level pearls of power are not expensive at 20th level, and you are basically getting an extra full attack per use. A ring of wizardry (2nd level) doubles your daily 2nd level spell slots and is a great duskblade purchase.

I would get a blood in the water stance using feats and a pair of keen 18-20 weapons. By the end of the first round of combat you should have racked up enough bonuses to handle anything that pops out after everything in sight dies.

Nightraiderx
2013-11-26, 01:54 PM
Technically IamtheDave he has to allow you to recast the spell because the way the FAQ was answered that it was one spell per target within the use of arcane channeling. There is also more than one use as you can teleport ally's along so they can full attack, or you protect the weaker members of your party that are being threatened. Port-in using the swift action of your ability, full attack saving a touch for yourself and the threatened ally, teleport him/her away as you begin your next full attack arcane channeling. I am glad someone agrees with my interpretation even with errata it doesn't stop the madness.

Person_Man
2013-11-26, 04:43 PM
FYI, someone who can make 4 attacks per round who doubles it with Shadow Pounce is more or less functionally equivalent to someone who can make 8 attacks per round or someone who can make 4 attacks per round at double damage (lance, Spirited Charge, Headlong Rush, Battle Jump, etc). There's lots of different ways to get massive damage numbers. I personally don't suggest using some weird combo in order to achieve it.

IAmTehDave
2013-11-26, 04:53 PM
FYI, someone who can make 4 attacks per round who doubles it with Shadow Pounce is more or less functionally equivalent to someone who can make 8 attacks per round or someone who can make 4 attacks per round at double damage (lance, Spirited Charge, Headlong Rush, Battle Jump, etc). There's lots of different ways to get massive damage numbers. I personally don't suggest using some weird combo in order to achieve it.

This character doesn't double the attacks per round with shadow pounce. Every time he gets a full attack he channels Dimension Hop, and gives up his last attack to make a touch against himself, which teleports him, which gives him a full attack. As part of that attack he channels (a new) Dimension Hop. The last attack of that full attack he makes a touch attack against himself to dimension hop...

Until he runs out of 2nd+ level spells, he is making 3 attacks of a whole bunch (20-22, not counting other items/bonus spells) of full attacks, all within one round. This isn't just about doing a lot of damage, it's about making 20 full attacks in one round. Throw in a weapon with the Vanishing property, and that's another full attack 1/day. If you ignore the FAQ wording, you can make an infinite number of full attacks in a single round. (And only DM Fiat ends it)

Hell, that last trick works even without the duskblade build, but that requires several weapons to do more than once/day.
(Edit: doublechecked the weapon property, it's a swift aciton to activate)

(edit edit:Added wording about ignoring the FAQ)

Person_Man
2013-11-26, 05:06 PM
This character doesn't double the attacks per round with shadow pounce. Every time he gets a full attack he channels Dimension Hop, and gives up his last attack to make a touch against himself, which teleports him, which gives him a full attack. As part of that attack he channels (a new) Dimension Hop. The last attack of that full attack he makes a touch attack against himself to dimension hop...

Until he runs out of 2nd+ level spells, he is making 3 attacks of a whole bunch (20-22, not counting other items/bonus spells) of full attacks, all within one round. This isn't just about doing a lot of damage, it's about making 20 full attacks in one round. Throw in a weapon with the Vanishing property, and that's another full attack 1/day. If you ignore the FAQ wording, you can make an infinite number of full attacks in a single round. (And only DM Fiat ends it)

Hell, that last trick works even without the duskblade build, but that requires several weapons to do more than once/day.
(Edit: doublechecked the weapon property, it's a swift aciton to activate)

(edit edit:Added wording about ignoring the FAQ)

I attempted to use a specific example to make a general point. You're correct that my specific example is incorrect in this circumstance, but the general point is not. There's lots of ways to get a ton of damage and/or lots of reach or free movement. Enemies have finite hit points. It seems obtuse and maybe not entirely RAW to use an obscure action juggling combo and PrC to do something that can be accomplished in many different strait forward ways.

Nettlekid
2013-11-26, 05:33 PM
I attempted to use a specific example to make a general point. You're correct that my specific example is incorrect in this circumstance, but the general point is not. There's lots of ways to get a ton of damage and/or lots of reach or free movement. Enemies have finite hit points. It seems obtuse and maybe not entirely RAW to use an obscure action juggling combo and PrC to do something that can be accomplished in many different strait forward ways.

At least for me, the greatest appeal of this is the abuse of action economy. Because you're right, there are lots of ways to get free movement or high damage, but there isn't really a huge variety of free action abuse. Psionics is well-known for it with Linked Power Synchronicity, you've got a more limited version with Celerity and Belt of Battle and stuff like that, but apart from that...not so much! All these free extra full attacks makes me think that, if you can use those attacks for more than just actual attacking (hence my earlier question about what can you do as part of a full attack), then this character can just kind of race around in a sort of Time Stop. And that's pretty cool, and much less easily accomplished than just high damage.

IAmTehDave
2013-11-26, 05:47 PM

And this is one of those ways. For the record, some of us enjoy obtuse and ridiculous combos for style points.
Though I disagree that what this combo/PrC can do can truly be accomplished in that many different ways. Remember that while you don't have to teleport your hapless foe to do the combo, you CAN. So you can teleport some enemies off a cliff, then hop yourself to the next set. You can interrupt a full attack (because, say, everything near you is dead) to suddenly be in a different area, and full attack everything near you. And nothing else gets a turn. In addition, you can do this in midair without items or external magic, because one of your spells is Air Walk.
If you have any martial maneuvers that are a swift boost, you get the benefit of that strike for multiple full attacks.

Hell, Time Stands Still is a 9th level maneuver, and it only lets you make 2 full attacks. At the same level you can pull that off (17th, unless I'm mistaken) you can use this combo to get an almost arbitrary number of attacks in a round.

This isn't something I would personally do in any actual campaign, but it's a fun concept, IMO.

At least for me, the greatest appeal of this is the abuse of action economy. Because you're right, there are lots of ways to get free movement or high damage, but there isn't really a huge variety of free action abuse. Psionics is well-known for it with Linked Power Synchronicity, you've got a more limited version with Celerity and Belt of Battle and stuff like that, but apart from that...not so much! All these free extra full attacks makes me think that, if you can use those attacks for more than just actual attacking (hence my earlier question about what can you do as part of a full attack), then this character can just kind of race around in a sort of Time Stop. And that's pretty cool, and much less easily accomplished than just high damage.

Yeah, pretty much this. Sure there are "better" and more "straightforward" builds for doing melee damage, but...this is the Lightning Thief of full attacks. This build abuses the action economy so much it should be called Ike Turner. It's not Straightforward, it may or may not work with the rules as intended, but I can't read it as working outside RAW. And you're only using 2-3 books, 3 classes max, to do it!

Edit: As it just occurred to me, this build can also do this in the SURPRISE ROUND.

Nightraiderx
2013-11-26, 09:38 PM

Stuff like charges are situational and require a line to acheive the desired effect. The nice thing about this combo is that it has RANGE to go with the full attacks.
Hell if one wanted to abuse this more, grab battle jump, inhuman reach and teleport above your enemy, now you can still reach the foe with your range, full attack, fall, pounce with a barbarian dip, which triggers a full attack again. So essentially you can get 6-7 attacks per arcane chenneling.

Edit: the perfect weapon for this is the kusarigama, because it has reach and can attack adjacent foes.

Another edit: Why would you not be two-weapon fighting with this build? You have the SA to make up the damage and there are items that can get around the construct/undead immunities.

Fable Wright
2013-11-26, 10:19 PM
Another edit: Why would you not be two-weapon fighting with this build? You have the SA to make up the damage and there are items that can get around the construct/undead immunities.

Because feat starvation. You need feats to pick up Hide and Move Silently (actually, how would you add Move Silently to your skill list?), Martial Study and Martial Stance to pick up 2d6 Sneak Attack, and Blindfight, Dodge, Mobility, and Spring Attack to meet the prerequisites of Telflammar Shadowlord. And then there's Knowledge Devotion and Power Attack... basically, there's just no room.

Nightraiderx
2013-11-26, 10:54 PM
Because feat starvation. You need feats to pick up Hide and Move Silently (actually, how would you add Move Silently to your skill list?), Martial Study and Martial Stance to pick up 2d6 Sneak Attack, and Blindfight, Dodge, Mobility, and Spring Attack to meet the prerequisites of Telflammar Shadowlord. And then there's Knowledge Devotion and Power Attack... basically, there's just no room.

Power attack would be for a thf build, not for a twf destroyer

Guerilla warrior makes it cost 1 skill point for hide and move silently.
which is from Hereos of Battle.
Martial Study will also add the hide class skill as your own for shadow hand.

You only need two-weapon fighting at the moment because you can grab gloves of the balanced hand and get imp twf. Power attack will not help as much as craven in this case. OR instead of wasting two feats for the shadow hand stuff you dip a level of swordsage at lvl 12 and save yourself two feats. If this is in a single class game then you won't need all 6 levels of teflammar just 4, so it leaves room in your build for 3 levels of something else. Or even then instead you can dip two classes that give SA (rokugan ninja also gives dodge) and SA fighter

duskblade 14/1 Rokugan Ninja/1 spelltheif/4 teflammar shadowlord

you have 18 BAB to work with, dodge comes from rokugan to save you that feat, as well as not even need marital study/stance since you have the +2d6 SA from classes. Guerilla warrior helps fight the skill point tax and makes it easier to get the required skill ranks needed. Master Spellthief feat wraps up your Caster level at least and you are only behind by one caster level. and yes you can strip the mages of spells as well.

But the person who posted this was specifically for a gestalt, so I would shove the SA/teflammar to one side and keep one side duskblade full bab esque.

Edit: you also get reach from your kusari-gama proficiency from using rokugan ninja.

Nettlekid
2013-11-27, 12:13 AM
Wait, why WOULD you TWF with this? You don't need to, you get so many free attacks. A Ring of Wizardry level 2 basically gives you TWF, going by number of attacks alone, and without the need for like three feats. Instead, I think the best thing to do is sink money into a quality weapon with an ability which activates on every hit, like Wounding. I mean sure, you could do both, I guess, but it seems easier on feats. Especially if we operate on the pre-FAQ-nerf idea that a single casting of Dimension Hop can affect you more than once.

duskblade 14/1 Rokugan Ninja/1 spelltheif/4 teflammar shadowlord

you have 18 BAB to work with, dodge comes from rokugan to save you that feat, as well as not even need marital study/stance since you have the +2d6 SA from classes. Guerilla warrior helps fight the skill point tax and makes it easier to get the required skill ranks needed. Master Spellthief feat wraps up your Caster level at least and you are only behind by one caster level. and yes you can strip the mages of spells as well.

But the person who posted this was specifically for a gestalt, so I would shove the SA/teflammar to one side and keep one side duskblade full bab esque.

Edit: you also get reach from your kusari-gama proficiency from using rokugan ninja.

What does the 14th level of Duskblade give you? You only need 13 for Full Channeling.

I think Duskblade 13/Rogue 1/Spellthief 1/Telflammar Shadowlord 4/Anything 1 does the trick. Even though the levels are precious, spending all those feats on Martial Study and Martial Stance is just too much, especially when you're already spending feats on Blind-Fight, Dodge, Mobility, and Spring Attack. If your natural Int mod is +2 or higher, Rogue can pay off one of the skill rank requirements with just one level, and Spellthief can pay off 8 points of the other, meaning you can spend 4 points to buy two cross-class ranks as a Duskblade to make ends meet. Not worth Guerrilla Warrior for those two saved skill points. Spellthief can be replaced by Scout or Ninja or any Sneak Attack/Sudden Strike/Skirmish class. Master Spellthief could be used to get CL up, but you don't really need it. Your main thing is Dimension Hop, which has a 30 ft range at level 12 and a 50 ft range at level 20. You're probably only going to be hopping 5-10 feet, so who cares? And since it's attacks we care about, once you hit that 16 BAB (which Duskblade 13+TSL 4 does) whatever else you have doesn't matter much.

Can we wrack our brains to find some kind of "teleport on attack" weapon or item that would work like this trick? Something a bit like a Dislocator weapon from MIC, except one that doesn't need a swift action activation. Or any sort of technicality. I feel as though I've seen something that does a teleport 5 ft step instead of an actual 5 ft step, and it would be amazing to combine that with ToB's Wolf Pack Tactics.

Nightraiderx
2013-11-27, 07:24 AM
Complete mage dimensional jumper spell
swift action 5th level spell that lasts 1/rnd teleport as a move action up to 30 ft. so getting a wand of that and using it with this combo... that extends the full attack to n+1 successful hits with the blade.

Edit: there was no reason for the 14th level I just just filling the space for a 20th lvl build.

Darrin
2013-11-27, 11:17 AM

Crinti Shadow Marauder 5 is a little easier to qualify for (only two prereq feats instead of four, Mounted Combat and Stealthy), although you're still kinda stuck with Move Silently as a cross-class skill. However, the max cross-class skill rank for Duskblade 13 would be (13 +3)/2 = 8. Half-drow with a highish Int can pull this off and still have room for TWF/Improved TWF/Greater TWF.

Race: Half-Drow
Duskblade 13/Crinti Shadow Marauder 5/Abjurant Champion 2 (or Swordsage 2)
Feats: TWF (1st), Mounted Combat (3rd), Martial Study: Shadow Jaunt (6th), Improved TWF (9th), Stealthy (12th), Greater TWF (15th), Arcane Strike (18th).