PDA

View Full Version : Creatures with low ability scores.

Gamereaper
2013-11-25, 12:49 PM
Hey everyone, I've been making a Battle Sorcerer/Abjurant Champion for a new game coming up. He is focused on acid, fire, and ability damage. The idea of this was at first to not make myself completely at a construct's mercy, but then I realized that I could also take out enemies with a single spell.

If I'm not mistaken, Spell Immunity means it is just spell resistance that cannot be overcome. Would that mean that spells that offer NO spell resistance still work on them?

Common sense says that animals for example should have a low INT score, so Ray of Stupidity should take care of them Right?

I realized Oozes have REALLY LOW DEX scores, so would Ray of Exhaustion knock down their DEX enough to make them temporarily helpless?

I'm pretty much looking for a list of creatures with low ability scores that I could take out. Does anyone know of any?

tyckspoon
2013-11-25, 01:00 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Spell Immunity means it is just spell resistance that cannot be overcome. Would that mean that spells that offer NO spell resistance still work on them?

Common sense says that animals for example should have a low INT score, so Ray of Stupidity should take care of them Right?

I realized Oozes have REALLY LOW DEX scores, so would Ray of Exhaustion knock down their DEX enough to make them temporarily helpless?

Spell Immunity: Yup. Most versions of it in 3.5 are just Spell Resistance Infinite; spells that are SR No don't care. Pop open your Spell Compendium, grab your favorite Orb, and blast golems to bits all day long. (Also, it's pretty much only Golems that have it, and not all of them - there are plenty of other Construct type creatures that don't have Spell Immunity.)

Ray of Stupidity: Yeah, this is a notorious one-shotter for Animals and a handful of other really stupid critters. Also useful for debuffing Int-based casters, at least until they all start sporting Mind Blanks.

Exhaustion vs. Low Dex: Ayup. Your DM may disagree, tho, arguing that penalties cannot take a score to 0. This isn't a rule. It's an extrapolated/assumed rule from Ray of Enfeeblement, but it is not an actual general rule. Probably not worth arguing about if it comes up. (Also see Shivering Touch, but that one is kind of grossly overpowered.)

Gamereaper
2013-11-25, 01:04 PM
I know about Shivering Touch, I just didn't put it in my spell list because 3D6 DEX is a little OP, I like optimizing, but I'm not that evil. I didn't want to scare the DM off, plus it's cold based too, which then means that I'll just get a ton of cold based monsters on me. Which now that I think of it, MIGHT be a good thing since I'm mostly FIRE and acid too.

If my DM is a jerk though, I think I will take it to kind of go "are you sure you don't want penalties to drop below 1?"

Gamereaper
2013-11-25, 02:03 PM
Are there any particular creatures that are subject to being helpless if a few points in STR, DEX, or INT are lost?

Lord Vukodlak
2013-11-25, 03:50 PM
Are there any particular creatures that are subject to being helpless if a few points in STR, DEX, or INT are lost?

Will-O’-Wisp's only have one strength.

Gamereaper
2013-11-25, 09:39 PM
Will-O’-Wisp's only have one strength.

Unfortunately, they have magic immunity. I can't sap their strength. :(