PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt Dread Necromancer help.

Zelix
2013-11-25, 12:56 PM
Hello all,

I'm rather new to 3.5 so I figured the good people of this forum might be able to help me with a specific character concept/creation. :smallsmile: I'm going to participate in an upcoming gestalt game, set in Faerun, and the GM likes a character concept I borrowed from Garth Nix's "Abhorsen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abhorsen)" trillogy. The cliffnotes version: A necromancer who's sole purpose is to fight other necromancers (and undead). Possibly a follower of Kelemvor, but the emphasis is "I am a necromancer who opposes other necromancers". From the research I have been doing, Dread Necromancer is a decent starting class.

I figured the emphasis would be on controlling undead that are already walking about (and getting them to fight each other) and summoning undead only to do combat with other undead.

Note: I realize that this seems contradictory to the purpose of taking a necromancer class, but it will be very fun roleplaying material for both the GM and I.
------------

Where I need help:

I would like some suggestions as to what things to select while building my anti-necromancer necromancer (Feats/Stat-priorities/Items/Etc). Almost as important, I need suggestions on what class to take as my other Gestalt choice as I will not be summoning undead in encounters that do not already possess undead. I will be in a heroic party (3 other gestalt characters), so I'm figuring some sort of Neutral Alignment. We will be starting at level 1, but will be "quickly" (GM's words) gaining levels, so a build that goes to level 20 would be AMAZINGLY helpful. :smallsmile: The GM will have us roll for starting stats. He also said that all prestige classes are not guaranteed and will have to be earned in game.
------------

Restrictions:

The GM is new to running 3.5, but has run lots of D20 games and has extensive knowledge of Faerun. He has only put up the following restrictions so far (although some restrictions are a bit softer than others).

No Psionics
No Dragon Magazines
Try to stay away from evil alignments
Try to stick to core races/books/classes whenever possible.
No level adjusted races

------------
I know that this concept has many difficulties involved, but that is the exact reason why I decided to register and plumb the depths of this community's knowledge and helpfulness in my hour of need :smallredface:. I look forward to reading/replying to your posts!

Respectfully,
-Zelix

JaronK
2013-11-25, 02:01 PM
Sadly, the best class I can think of for this is Paladin of Tyranny, which is evil only. Cha to saves protects you against a lot of Necromancer attacks, while the penalty to enemy saves causes your attacks to land easily.

However, one interesting option might be Cleric/PrC Paladin of Tyranny/Bone Knight, which requires you to start evil but would let you convert to neutral as your character grows, eventually giving you powerful undead and bone armor and strong immunities against undead based attacks.

Another option is the Hunter of the Dead PrC, which pretty much works like it sounds. Or you could just go with Factotum, allowing you to use stealth to approach enemies and then unload brutal magical nova attacks on them. A third option might be a Bard with the Requiem feat and Inspire Awe (Dragon Magic) + Haunting Melody, allowing you to make zombies run in fear from you. Consider also Cleric, since a Neutral Cleric//Dread Necromancer gets both Turn and Rebuke Undead. Throw in Deathbound and Undeath Domains, perhaps.

For gear, I'd strongly consider a Lyre of Building and a Rod of Defiance, as the combination makes Rebuke Undead devastating to all undead.

JaronK

Zeb
2013-11-25, 02:54 PM
For true Abhorsen feel I would second the bard (or divine bard) suggestion especially if you take preform bells. Or spirit shaman which provides a different spell list and some handy effects like spirit sight.

If you want more of the combat charter mage feel to go with it maybe pick Warmage, Warlock or Duskblade.

Ranger with the undead stalker variant could be handy if you want to melee it up. The Hunter of the Dead prestige kinda steps on your toes as a Dread necro and requires turning rather than rebuking but has a true death ability at level 5 that is pretty cool.

Pally and cleric pair well mechanical but you might have some alignment issues.

The Doomguide of Kelemvor from Faiths and Pantheons might also be a nice fit fluff-wise but could probably use an update. Bonus is it is Forgotten realms themed.