PDA

View Full Version : help understanding damage reduction

Chadamantium
2013-11-25, 02:51 PM
Hey there. So I wondering about using a full attack and how damage reduction impacts that. Just for a scenario, a character performs a full attack(let say his Attack bonus is 17/12/7) a creature with lets say DR 5/peircing and he hits with all 3 attacks for damages of 8/12/4 for a total of 24 damage. Does damage reduction turn that into 3/7/0 for a total of 10 or does DR subtract from the total making the damage 19? Or the third option that I don't understand damage reduction at all and I need it explained fully?

Grod_The_Giant
2013-11-25, 02:56 PM
It applies to each individual attack, so in this case, you'd be doing 3/7/0. It's part of the reason TWF and archery have issues.

heavyfuel
2013-11-25, 02:57 PM
First option.

From the Wizards glossary page

For example, the werewolf's entry reads "damage reduction 10/silver": Each time a foe hits a werewolf with a weapon, the damage dealt by that attack is reduced by 10 points (to a minimum of 0). However, a silvered weapon deals full damage.

holywhippet
2013-11-25, 03:57 PM
It applies to each individual attack, so in this case, you'd be doing 3/7/0. It's part of the reason TWF and archery have issues.

It's also why sneak attack damage is so powerful when you are facing something that it can be applied to. It's the total damage for each weapon hit so sneak attack damage is added to every attack. It gets added to the regular weapon damage so it helps get past the DR threshhold.