PDA

View Full Version : Flavour Optimization Archivist

Smorgonoffz
2013-11-25, 04:20 PM
I'm going to partecipate into a new 3.5 D&D campaign(everything published by wizard and other parties for 3.5 allowed), all wonderful you might think but there is a big hitch. The Master wanted an healer in the party for the campaign to start, so i took on the mantle by choosing a classes that offered me a lot of freedom : The Archivist.

I was thinking of the following build Archivist 5 /Death Delver 2/ paragnostic apostle 10 ( with 3 free levels).

The Death delver dip was because at 2nd level i get the cleric ability to conver spells into healing, i choosed pargnostic apostle because it fit with the characters theme(Also no spellcasting level lost).

Feats
Human-Academic Priest
1st level - Dont know.

This build isn't set in stone, so any help regarding being a healer and an archivist are appreciated.

PS: ANyone knows if there is a way that a pc can use evil objects/Spells without being evil without being an hellbred?

Urpriest
2013-11-25, 05:02 PM
I feel like the Spontaneous Healer feat is a much better choice than taking two levels of Death Delver.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-11-25, 05:04 PM
Obligatory handbook link (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=6656.0). Short summary: for a lot of the game, combat healing is kind of crap, as Cure spells don't do a good job of keeping pace with damage. Prepare Close Wounds (an immediate action) for immediate action emergency healing. Maybe make/carry a few scrolls of high level heals, again for emergencies only. (And don't let the cost of that rest entirely on you!) Out-of-combat, get everyone to chip in for wands of Lesser Vigor (preferably) or CLW. Later on, persist Mass Lesser Vigor.

Specifically: Don't do Death Delver-- it's throwing out two caster levels, and it's ability is probably supposed to only apply to its own spells. Look for ways to get healing spells at lower levels than normal.

As for your PS... Use Magic Device can do that, I think.

Smorgonoffz
2013-11-25, 05:19 PM
@grod: thanks, i only gave the deathdelver a cursory glance.

The tips on the healing are welcome, but with a barbarian and fighter/warrior(don't remember which is the npc class) i see it dire.

Except Spontaneous Healer any other talent that helps with healing?.

now that death delver is out of the way, any other nice prc classes for an Archivist(i would do malconvoker, but the othe pc is a necromancer focused on summoning undead)....now that i've 5 free levels?

Ps: no flaws allowed

Dread_Head
2013-11-25, 05:54 PM
Sacred Exorcist(Complete Divine) is nice for one or more levels as it grants turn undead at it's first level.

Divine Oracle(Complete Divine) is a nice PRC with some interesting rogue like abilities (Evasion in heavy armour!) and bonuses to divination spells.

Contemplative(Complete Divine) is also good for a free domain and some other pretty nifty abilities.

Basically any decent cleric PRC that doesn't require turning is also good for an archivist.

Urpriest
2013-11-25, 05:54 PM
@grod: thanks, i only gave the deathdelver a cursory glance.

The tips on the healing are welcome, but with a barbarian and fighter/warrior(don't remember which is the npc class) i see it dire.

Except Spontaneous Healer any other talent that helps with healing?.

now that death delver is out of the way, any other nice prc classes for an Archivist(i would do malconvoker, but the othe pc is a necromancer focused on summoning undead)....now that i've 5 free levels?

Ps: no flaws allowed

Is your alignment fixed? Sacred Exorcist might be nice for DMM Persist or the like.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-11-25, 06:50 PM
I'd go maybe Archivist 4/Church Inquisitor 1/Sovereign Speaker 2/Sacred Exorcist 1/Sovereign Speaker +8/Sacred Exorcist +4. Get domains from Sovereign Speaker and Turn Undead from Sacred Exorcist, and generally laugh at puny clerics.

Smorgonoffz
2013-11-26, 03:31 AM
Nice idea, bu too much prc for my liking.