PDA

View Full Version : i need a spell or something..

Kerilstrasz
2013-11-25, 05:40 PM
I need a spell or item or ability that can let me talk in the mind of a target creature. Something like telepathy but one way.

More specifically, what i need it to do exactly..
I want to be able to talk a word or two in the mind of someone at will.
With no save or resistance.
I suppose i could use it on anyone but only those that can, would understand me.
With a range of sight. If i can see the target, i can use it.
At Will
No or really very cheap Mcomps
No S or V comps
1 Standard or 1 free action
The words "spoken" will have no other effect than just normal speech
I do NOT need or want to be able to read their minds.. just to talk to them.

So.. is there anything not homebrew that can help me?
Only 3,5E plz

Fax Celestis
2013-11-25, 05:53 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/mindlink.htm

Mindlink is telepathic contact with a willing target, unwilling if you spend 4 extra PP (so minimum ML 5, which you can do with a 1-level psion (telepath) dip and the Practiced Manifester feat, as long as you have at least 4 total HD). It has no somatic or verbal components, just a mental display (a chime in the minds of creatures within 15' of you), which you can suppress with a DC 16 Concentration check (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#display).

holywhippet
2013-11-25, 05:54 PM
There is the mindlink psionic power. It is two way though.

Epsilon Rose
2013-11-25, 06:06 PM
Well, it's not quite at will or telepathic, but the cantrip Message would get you pretty close. That said, could you provide some context on this. You have a somewhat odd set of restrictions and it might help to know what you're trying to accomplish.

Studoku
2013-11-25, 06:56 PM
If you can qualify for it, the Mindbender PrC (Complete Arcane) grants telepathy at 1st level. It's a level but you don't lose any caster levels.

Kerilstrasz
2013-11-26, 10:35 PM
Well, it's not quite at will or telepathic, but the cantrip Message would get you pretty close. That said, could you provide some context on this. You have a somewhat odd set of restrictions and it might help to know what you're trying to accomplish.

Ok.. here it is..
my Dm is going to start an epic campaign.. so he told us to think weird & original character ideas and provide him each a main plot hook for him to build his campaign around these...
So.. After a couple of hours me and DM created my Char's story..
She is a wizard, that got stroke by a curse.. she is permanent invisible (no means of magic or otherwise can reveal her), she can only die by natural causes, she can generate no noise(walking, talking etc etc).. she is perfectly undetectable.
The downside... she can NOT interact with the world by no means other than magic. (that said He told me that ench & evo schools are prohibited for me).
Her ultimate goal is to find a way to lift the curse..
DM notes: My party should never knows that there is my char with them.
They may realize that something is helping them, but that's it.
So.. im looking for a way to tip off my party members of dangers or infos or whatever i know but they don't. But i don't wont to overdo it. So i thought i need a spell or smthing to allow me "send" a few words, like "danger" or "go left" or "use fire" etc etc...

So.. what can you think that might help me?

holywhippet
2013-11-26, 10:50 PM
As a wizard you will presumably have a familiar. You could have the familiar constantly around the party or showing up often and giving hints. Like heading down the left passageway because the right is trapped.

Crake
2013-11-26, 10:57 PM
If your DM wants it done in interesting ways, then perhaps spells like ghost sound, ventriloquism, magic mouth and the various image spells are the way to go.

Fax Celestis
2013-11-26, 11:24 PM
Ok.. here it is..
my Dm is going to start an epic campaign.. so he told us to think weird & original character ideas and provide him each a main plot hook for him to build his campaign around these...
She is a wizard, that got stroke by a curse.. she is permanent invisible (no means of magic or otherwise can reveal her), she can only die by natural causes, she can generate no noise(walking, talking etc etc).. she is perfectly undetectable.
The downside... she can NOT interact with the world by no means other than magic. (that said He told me that ench & evo schools are prohibited for me).
So.. im looking for a way to tip off my party members of dangers or infos or whatever i know but they don't. But i don't wont to overdo it. So i thought i need a spell or smthing to allow me "send" a few words, like "danger" or "go left" or "use fire" etc etc...

Sounds to me like you could use a couple applications of permanencied magic mouth (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicMouth.htm), with contingencies like "I agree", "I disagree", or "I desire to travel westwards".

Epsilon Rose
2013-11-26, 11:28 PM
Arcane mark and mage hand might do you well.

Cryptic messages engraved on the wall are a classic way to communicate.

Kerilstrasz
2013-11-27, 01:04 AM
all those are nice, but that would tip the party that someone is there...
i was thinking a "telepathy-like-something" so i can pass the info in their heads and make it like they are "hearing voices" or with good bluffs that it is They that actually thinking it..
something i left out.. because my DM wants me to Not to tip em off, he gave me for free that feat that i can have my spells have a different point of origin (i think cityscape)..
so.. if i use ghost sound to pass a message 1st, im not roleplaying "good" and 2nd.. would you trust an unknown invisible being to guide you through danger?

TETanglebrooke
2013-11-27, 01:22 AM
Silent Image bro. All problems can be solved with silent image.

TETanglebrooke
2013-11-27, 01:23 AM
i was thinking a "telepathy-like-something" so i can pass the info in their heads and make it like they are "hearing voices" or with good bluffs that it is They that actually thinking it..
*snip*
2nd.. would you trust an unknown invisible being to guide you through danger?

Wait, you would trust the voices in your head over something that the others could at least confirm or deny the input from?

Epsilon Rose
2013-11-27, 01:41 AM
something i left out.. because my DM wants me to Not to tip em off, he gave me for free that feat that i can have my spells have a different point of origin (i think cityscape)..
so.. if i use ghost sound to pass a message 1st, im not roleplaying "good" and 2nd.. would you trust an unknown invisible being to guide you through danger?

Erm... I'm not sure exactly how you plan to do anything with out them realizing you're their. Of course, I'm also not entirely sure what your role in this whole thing is, or what's going on with the rest of the party for that matter.

That said, in a magic heavy world, hearing voices is a pretty good sign that someone is there. Honestly, arcane mark is probably your best bet for this. You could go ahead and mark some things while no one is looking and have it look like the marks were always there or, at the least, are significantly older.

Honestly, if you really don't want them to know you're their, you're going to need to focus on environmental effects and setting up the field/encounter before they get their. That feat from cityscape should by you nothing, because when it comes down to it, that lightning bolt had to come from some where and that means some one.

FinnDarkblade
2013-11-27, 01:44 AM
If you can qualify for it, the Mindbender PrC (Complete Arcane) grants telepathy at 1st level. It's a level but you don't lose any caster levels.

Second on the Mindbender, and make sure you check out the Mindsight feat so you're automatically aware of them.

kabreras
2013-11-27, 02:16 AM
Ok.. here it is..

Well... For a 1 shot i could play that, for a campaign that look like some boring char that will use a lot of spells just to communicate or interact.

Sam K
2013-11-27, 03:25 AM
I think you might be in for a bit of a challenge here.

In a high magic fantasy setting, people are more likely to ascribe something to magic than chance. If they cant divine the source of the "voices in their head", are they more likely to think "it's probably nothing" or "it's probably something protected from divination"?