PDA

View Full Version : Heroquest 25th Anniversary box at Kickstarter!!

Blas_de_Lezo
2013-11-25, 05:58 PM
Heroquest 25th Anniversary crowdfunding box at Kickstarter!! :smalleek::smalleek::smalleek:

They have reached the goal in 25 minutes!!! :smalleek::smalleek::smalleek:

I don't know how to react :smalleek::smalleek:

EDIT: This is History.

EDIT2: link http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2113976860/heroquest-25th-anniversary

Cikomyr
2013-11-25, 06:13 PM
Holy crap.

They better have strech goals

erikun
2013-11-25, 11:30 PM
I was kind of hoping for the other HeroQuest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HeroQuest_(role-playing_game)) when I saw the thread, but I guess I'm not too surprised.

The board game is pretty good, especially with it's ability to generate new dungeons and encounters easily. I hope they clear up a few problems with the last one, such as unsearchable traps just inside doors - and publishing more quests for the game.

Aotrs Commander
2013-11-26, 03:05 AM
Nice to see! Though I've still got all my stuff from the original - and when I hooked my young cousins a year or two ago, I made a big search on the web for them of all the extras and fan stuff, so the kickstart is a bit redundant for me (and I really don't have space for more models, especially 28mm ones I'll likely never paint!)

HeroQuest what was got me started gaming, twenty-three years ago - it's MY D&D, as it were. I put it down on my birthday list on a whim - and that was that. Before long, I was down at the Rolls-Royce wargames club at the age of ten, and dropping headfirst into Rolemaster (followed by warhammer, and finally AD&D as distant forth RPG!)

It's worth noting that we never really played it like a board game - it was always more on an RPG to us. (So thing slike eirikun's unsearchable traps were never a problem for us, since we never even considered not allowing people to open the door - and searching for traps - before walking in the room!) And I still use it now, on occasion - the combat dice are still in my pencilcase/dice bag to this day! (As I mentioned, I set up a game - with my dungeon-mastery skills! - set on my own campaign world to induct, er... introduce, roleplaying to my much-younger cousins, who live in Austraila. The next time they were over last year, they were that bit older, so I could use 3.Aotrs).

Classy touch to see four female heroes included among the basic set.

Magentawolf
2013-11-26, 09:40 AM
It's a terrible campaign so far, despite the number of people pledging. The listed stretch goals (which require an extra $43 to pledge for) are pretty much worthless except for the extra heros, and shipping is astronomical.

Blas_de_Lezo
2013-11-26, 04:34 PM
It's a terrible campaign so far, despite the number of people pledging. The listed stretch goals (which require an extra $43 to pledge for) are pretty much worthless except for the extra heros, and shipping is astronomical.

It looks like they've been overruned by success. Today at 00:00 (Central Europe time), 18:00 EST / 00:00 CET(GMT+1) ,that is in one hour and a half will, update everything.

Shipping is astronomical? Yes, it is. So now USA crowdfunders will feel empathy for Europe crowdfunders, as we always said that shipping costs from USA were very high :smallbiggrin:

Blas_de_Lezo
2013-11-28, 11:03 AM
500.000 $... it seems it's not so terrible campaign after all. I wish I could rise half a million in 3 days! :smallwink:

Krade
2013-11-28, 04:03 PM
Aaand IT'S GONE!

Your link says they are tied up in an intellectual property dispute. I won't hold my breath for a favorable outcome.

Bavarian itP
2013-11-28, 04:37 PM
Well, if they don't call it Hero Quest, and just produce a dungeon-crawl-boardgame with Barbarians, Orks and Dwarves, then there's not much intellectual property to dispute ...

Blas_de_Lezo
2013-11-28, 04:39 PM
Yes they are! Gamezone has said that it's a mistake, it seems they will come back... Gosh, I just want this reedition so much!

GloatingSwine
2013-11-28, 07:30 PM
Well, if they don't call it Hero Quest, and just produce a dungeon-crawl-boardgame with Barbarians, Orks and Dwarves, then there's not much intellectual property to dispute ...

Yeah, but that would mean basically writing their own game, which wouldn't be HeroQuest or called HeroQuest, so wouldn't be able to trade on the HeroQuest nostalgia.

And wouldn't be as good as Dwarf King's Hold which is already out.

Brother Oni
2013-11-29, 02:22 PM
Yeah, but that would mean basically writing their own game, which wouldn't be HeroQuest or called HeroQuest, so wouldn't be able to trade on the HeroQuest nostalgia.

On the plus side, this might be a big enough kick in the arse to get MB/GW/whoever owns the rights to think about doing an official Heroquest anniversary game.

Blas_de_Lezo
2013-11-29, 06:11 PM
On the plus side, this might be a big enough kick in the arse to get MB/GW/whoever owns the rights to think about doing an official Heroquest anniversary game.

I think it's MD. It seems that GZ and MD are negociating the distribution in USA and the C&D was a bluff made truth.

Brother Oni
2013-11-29, 06:30 PM
I think it's MD. It seems that GZ and MD are negociating the distribution in USA and the C&D was a bluff made truth.

This is looking a little more complicated.

Moon Design Publications owns the rights and brand (http://www.glorantha.com/moon-design-acquires-glorantha-rights/) for the HeroQuest RPG (http://www.glorantha.com/product/heroquest-core-rules/), which has nothing to do with the HeroQuest board game, except it has the same name (it's quite clearly based in GW's Warhammer world).

This details the current situation (http://pinsofwar.com/heroquest-suspended/) a fair bit and a post further down clears up the mystery:

For those who don't know the history of this.
Way back in the early days of RPGs, Chaosium - the company then publishing the game RuneQuest - announced that there was an upcoming expansion that would be called HeroQuest, since it involved the characters gaining the power of legendary heroes. But as most RPG companies back then were not very business savvy, they neglected to trademark the names of their upcoming products. So Games Workshop said "hey that's a cool name, we'll slap that on our new boardgames and get the trademark". The Chaosium guys were not happy, they felt their name had been stolen.
Many years later an RPG that fulfilled the original promise of HeroQuest was published, but they had to call it Hero Wars instead. But when the time came for a second edition of Hero Wars, they realized that GW had let the trademark lapse. So they stole it back. ;)

So MDP does apparently indeed own the HeroQuest name, but not the boardgame.
It reminds me a lot of the Trenched/Iron Brigade issue that happened a couple years ago.

It also raises the problem that someone else might own the original game design, although hopefully Gamezone was smart enough to secure the rights to that at least (or are smart enough to modify it enough so they don't get sued).

Krade
2013-11-30, 04:22 AM
It reminds me a lot of the Trenched/Iron Brigade issue that happened a couple years ago.

Having just refreshed my memory of what happened with Trenched/Iron Brigade, this situation seems considerably more complicated than that.

Brother Oni
2013-11-30, 06:07 AM
Having just refreshed my memory of what happened with Trenched/Iron Brigade, this situation seems considerably more complicated than that.

Oh no doubt, but the core of it is still a trademark dispute involving international territories, hence why it reminds me of that earlier situation.