PDA

View Full Version : The Gamer

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Aquillion
2013-11-25, 07:18 PM
The Gamer is a weekly Korean webcomic (a long-format webtoon, specifically, similar to Tower of God) with an English translation available here (http://mngcow.co/The-Gamer/). It follows the adventures of an ordinary high school student who somehow acquires the ability to interact with life as if it were a console RPG -- that is, he can see people's level and classes; he can see his own stats and improve them by leveling up or by grinding them, and can gain new powers and abilities from his actions. There are other people with strange powers in the setting, but they don't see or interact with the world as an RPG like he does -- that's his special power. This means that, say, other people take normal real-world injuries from attacks, while he loses HP and doesn't suffer any problems unless they run out.

So far the comic has mostly focused on revealing the setting and on the main character becoming increasingly powerful by exploring what he can do.

It seemed like something that might be of interest to people on this forum! So I thought I'd create a thread for it.

The first page is available here. (http://mngcow.co/The-Gamer/1/)

razorfloss
2013-11-25, 07:21 PM
didn't expect to see a thread for this and i can't wait for him to discover cheat codes

tomaO2
2013-11-25, 08:59 PM
I like Korean webtoons. I made a thread with a bunch of them awhile back.

This story is good so far. The player is more game like then stories that actually take place on VR worlds. I appreciate that. Something like Sword Arts Online doesn't really give you a good enough feel for the game like aspects.

Domochevsky
2013-11-26, 05:55 AM
Hm, this is both an interesting read and very clichee writing at the same time. Weird stuff.

(Also... is it normal in korea to get beaten by your teachers or is that just done for "humor"? :smallsigh: )

Partysan
2013-11-26, 08:25 AM
(Also... is it normal in korea to get beaten by your teachers or is that just done for "humor"? :smallsigh: )

Considering that kind of "humor" is in just about every school-themed korean webcomic ever, it's a safe bet to say they actually do it. Internet research agrees with this.

Hamste
2013-11-29, 09:12 PM
So far I like the story, it is a bit weird but I find myself enamored with the concept that it presents.

Bundin
2013-11-30, 06:01 PM
Good read so far, even if the story is a wee bit predictable. I like the general idea though.
/me adds to bookmarks

Starbuck_II
2013-12-01, 09:06 AM
So far I like the story, it is a bit weird but I find myself enamored with the concept that it presents.

I very much feel this same way. I wish I could see my stats like this. :smallbiggrin:

Re'ozul
2013-12-01, 12:08 PM
After DICE went a bit too far away from what it originally seemed to be, The Gamer is basically the closest thing I'd envision for an organic virtual space MMORPG with non-pretermined skill system.

Though:
The factor of his mom being really "high level" irks me because 'I am the offspring of the awesome X' is something that happens way too often.

Gez
2013-12-01, 01:26 PM
I very much feel this same way. I wish I could see my stats like this. :smallbiggrin:

See stats? Why stop there? The real fun is in hacking. :smallbiggrin:

Cikomyr
2013-12-01, 02:27 PM
See stats? Why stop there? The real fun is in hacking. :smallbiggrin:

If you are found, you realize you get banned from Real Life?

edit: I just reached the point where the protagonist (I should learn his name) learns that he's the only one, even among the surnatural community, to see this entire system like a video game.

For some reason, I really like this development. If everyone was seeing it as a video game, it would have felt like.. I dunno, newb POV?

Ibrinar
2013-12-01, 05:07 PM
I like that they went with the option that he can level individual skills by using them, instead of a pure level system.

Considering that kind of "humor" is in just about every school-themed korean webcomic ever, it's a safe bet to say they actually do it. Internet research agrees with this.
I wish it wasn't that prevalent since it always irks me a bit and I get the urge to rant about violence used to enforce a rule system the other didn't even enter willingly and that somebody being a teenager doesn't mean that you can just do stuff to them that you wouldn't do to an adult and that…^^

Gez
2013-12-02, 09:52 AM
So, based on this (http://www.batoto.net/read/_/206766/the-gamer_v1_ch11_by_bap-scans), I'd say he should blow up his allowance on a complete collection of "For Dummies" books.

Cikomyr
2013-12-03, 08:01 PM
So, based on this (http://www.batoto.net/read/_/206766/the-gamer_v1_ch11_by_bap-scans), I'd say he should blow up his allowance on a complete collection of "For Dummies" books.

I think he can only gain skills from books.

what sort of skill he could get out of For dummies books?

Hamste
2013-12-04, 07:33 AM
I think he can only gain skills from books.

what sort of skill he could get out of For dummies books?

Carpentry, computer programming and stock market knowledge?

Cikomyr
2013-12-11, 09:29 AM
I really, really, really, really like this comic.

I mean, like, really like it.

razorfloss
2013-12-13, 06:32 PM
i wonder what would happen if he dies. will he respawn or just stay dead

Demoman
2013-12-15, 11:55 PM
I find the explanations he presents to be a blessing. Great for those who might not know of the more obscure gaming rules.
Many comics just throw magic and other ideas around without going in-depth, or if they do, are ignored 3 or so chapters later.

Also, slamming people in the face with a bat was never as satisfying.

Lamech
2013-12-16, 12:05 AM
I am a fan of the comic. He should try training a pet. Because losing to some natural ability user with a broken ass ability isn't embarrassing. Losing to a cute kitten? That's embarrassing.

Cikomyr
2013-12-16, 10:06 AM
So the plot thickens...

Math_Mage
2013-12-17, 06:28 AM
Huh, so this had a thread.

The one gripe I have with the webtoon so far is that the show:tell balance is all out of whack. I would rather have many subtle connections to a larger story than a few obvious ones, which is one of the reasons I love Kubera so much, for example. I hope the author develops a more nuanced connection between the experiences of the main character and the plot. It's early days yet.

Hamste
2013-12-17, 02:07 PM
I like that the author seems to actually know games. Many people tend to get a bunch of active skills that they can't use due to action economy. Passive are smaller bonuses but are generally pretty nice to invest in (still need a few different types of attacks though or they will run into the trouble if something is immune or resistant to at least one).

Lamech
2013-12-17, 07:12 PM
What he really needs to do is open the console and start tossing out some commands.

FrankLuke
2013-12-18, 11:41 AM
Malaware Bytes let me read the first chapter but balked at the second. Interesting. I'll have to try again on a different machine.

Edit: Can access from home machine. I like this story.

MirddinEmris
2013-12-24, 01:57 AM
I'm waiting for him to try and open Help. "Welcome to RealWorldpedia. Click here to read about Purpose of Life, Click here to..."

razorfloss
2013-12-27, 01:38 PM
I'm waiting for him to try and open Help. "Welcome to RealWorldpedia. Click here to read about Purpose of Life, Click here to..."

I would laugh my behind off if that happens

smuchmuch
2013-12-27, 10:45 PM
Y'know, for someone so obssessed with videogames that it apparently shaped him uncounciously and who litteraly has the ability to live life like one, I find this protagonist suprisingly level headed about the whole thing.

Forrestfire
2013-12-27, 11:02 PM
That's explicitly one of his superpowers. He has a "Gamer Mind" status effect that lets him be levelheaded about everything iirc.

LoneStarNorth
2013-12-27, 11:02 PM
Y'know, for someone so obssessed with videogames that it apparently shaped him uncounciously and who litteraly has the ability to live life like one, I find this protagonist suprisingly level headed about the whole thing.

Isn't that one of his gamer abilities? Distancing himself from the situation to think rationally under pressure? Maybe that's what's happening.

Math_Mage
2013-12-28, 06:54 AM
That's explicitly one of his superpowers. He has a "Gamer Mind" status effect that lets him be levelheaded about everything iirc.
I wish this wasn't one of his abilities, honestly. I would like to see more, well, character out of our main character, and I think giving him this ability inhibits that.

Cikomyr
2013-12-28, 07:46 AM
Last strip was hilarious.

For some reason, I suspect the friend still somewhat believed the Gamer to be mentally unbalanced. Seeing the Party Invite is the Best. Reaction. Ever.

Starbuck_II
2013-12-28, 06:38 PM
Last strip was hilarious.

For some reason, I suspect the friend still somewhat believed the Gamer to be mentally unbalanced. Seeing the Party Invite is the Best. Reaction. Ever.

I find the term Bus interesting. I mean, it was done but we never called it Bus.

Forrestfire
2013-12-28, 07:02 PM
Maybe it's a Korean term for it?

Aquillion
2013-12-29, 05:29 PM
One thing that struck me was how serious the main character took the idea of becoming a professional gamer, discussing its pros and cons before dismissing it. I guess it's because it's a Korean webcomic, and that's one of the few countries where you can actually do that.

Guancyto
2013-12-31, 12:39 PM
Hrm.

It's a more analytical take on a particular adolescent power-fantasy (that is, become so good at games that it gives you game-powers in real life), and it does have some promise.

It's good that he's introduced more characters for the protagonist to interact with, because the constant exposition was getting a little stale. If I wanted to watch a person grind levels, I'd- wait no, I'd stick my arm in a blender instead.

Hopefully now that he's got the backstory nice and established there'll be more room for more character interaction!

Hamste
2013-12-31, 01:20 PM
I find the term Bus interesting. I mean, it was done but we never called it Bus.

I was in an online game that called it The Train, though that was when we amassed large numbers of players and ran around killing everything (No limit in the party system). The exp was shared evenly in that game so higher level characters didn't get much but a level 1 character could level up quickly.

Drakeburn
2014-01-03, 07:58 PM
1) I didn't know that it was called that. I assumed that people called it "piggy-backing" or something like that.

2) New comic is up, and "wow" for the cliffhanger. :smalleek:

Math_Mage
2014-01-03, 10:38 PM
1) I didn't know that it was called that. I assumed that people called it "piggy-backing" or something like that.

2) New comic is up, and "wow" for the cliffhanger. :smalleek:
I've been exposed to 'train' primarily as referring to game elements, like 'I rode the Mundo train up to gold rank' or similar. But then, I don't MMORPG; it's probably different in a raiding/PVP/guild environment.

As for the cliffhanger...that's the thing. I'm not concerned. There appears to be nothing at stake at this point, so I have little reason to worry that anything will be lost. Apart from being mildly concerned about what Hwan Sung-Gon is up to (because the story told me not to be urgently concerned), I don't feel any tension in the narrative.

Ibrinar
2014-01-03, 10:55 PM
That is true there is no real antagonist, I don't doubt that one is planned but at the moment they are just living their daily lives though with superpowers.

Aquillion
2014-01-04, 12:14 AM
In a way, I sort of like it that way, in that it's different from other stories, at least; and it's fun to just see the world and the main character's abilities explored.

I assume eventually there will be more concrete challenges, but I like it how it is for now -- initially I was a bit worried that it would just become a fighting series, and (even if they're currently fighting zombies) it doesn't seem to be going down that route yet.

Heck, the big strong high-level summoner and the head of the secret martial arts order met and... talked their differences out and then came to an amicable compromise. That's usually against the rules in a series like this, they're supposed to have to fight to the death first.

It also means that I usually don't know where the story is going next, which is nice.

Lamech
2014-01-04, 01:36 AM
Boss Fight! Boss Fight! Boss Fight!

Anyway, we are slowly getting to the mystery. A guy got super-powers and he's trying to make the best of them. Makes perfect sense. I'm sure the mystery will unravel. We've got three factions now: Summoner, Gamer's Friends, and Red-Haired Girl. So what are they all up too?

Venom3053000
2014-01-04, 02:12 AM
love the zombie failing to bite the guy

Thrawn183
2014-01-04, 09:16 AM
I'd always heard it referred to as "power leveling."

Drakeburn
2014-01-04, 08:31 PM
I've been exposed to 'train' primarily as referring to game elements, like 'I rode the Mundo train up to gold rank' or similar. But then, I don't MMORPG; it's probably different in a raiding/PVP/guild environment.

As for the cliffhanger...that's the thing. I'm not concerned. There appears to be nothing at stake at this point, so I have little reason to worry that anything will be lost. Apart from being mildly concerned about what Hwan Sung-Gon is up to (because the story told me not to be urgently concerned), I don't feel any tension in the narrative.

You have a good point there..... The cliffhangers don't really have much effect.
Although, it is good that the comic is having a bit more variety. Who would want to read comics where the characters kill zombies everyday (don't answer that! :smallannoyed:)

Math_Mage
2014-01-04, 08:50 PM
You have a good point there..... The cliffhangers don't really have much effect.
Although, it is good that the comic is having a bit more variety. Who would want to read comics where the characters kill zombies everyday (don't answer that! :smallannoyed:)
I could see a strip using that as a vehicle, sort of like Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead with the coin-flipping...but then it wouldn't really be about the zombie-killing, would it?

Lamech
2014-01-05, 12:36 PM
Right now the zombie killing is less like zombie killing and more like school. You fight zombies/teachers to get mad skillz so you can get a job later on. But the important part isn't the listening to lectures/zombies. That's just a back drop.

Neoriceisgood
2014-01-05, 12:44 PM
Good art, will have to go through the archive later!

Flickerdart
2014-01-06, 11:54 PM
It's kind of funny that the martial arts guy didn't need to get completely destroyed, if only the main character had told him that the summoner was nearly double his level.

And yes, I am really bad at names.

Starbuck_II
2014-01-07, 12:30 AM
It's kind of funny that the martial arts guy didn't need to get completely destroyed, if only the main character had told him that the summoner was nearly double his level.

And yes, I am really bad at names.

You raise a good point. But then again, would he have believed the main character?

Aquillion
2014-01-07, 10:51 PM
You raise a good point. But then again, would he have believed the main character?They probably would have fought him anyway; they outnumbered him three to one. (Also, it does seem to have worked, in that it seems to have made him come to the negotiating table -- probably because they were strong enough to make him realize he couldn't beat the elders.)

Flickerdart
2014-01-08, 01:36 AM
It's a bit of a moot point until we know what the question marks mean. While they could indeed, as the Gamer guesses, mean that they're a much higher level than him, that doesn't explain the non-level obfuscation. It's very possible that since other people don't work on video game logic, being old actually does make you feeble and frail.

Aquillion
2014-01-08, 03:27 AM
It's a bit of a moot point until we know what the question marks mean. While they could indeed, as the Gamer guesses, mean that they're a much higher level than him, that doesn't explain the non-level obfuscation. It's very possible that since other people don't work on video game logic, being old actually does make you feeble and frail.
No, his friend says, here (http://www.batoto.net/read/_/205130/the-gamer_v1_ch10_by_bap-scans):

"The clan elders decided to handle the situation themselves."

"Elders?"

"Yep. They're really strong. Hwan Sung-Gon was strong beyond expectations, but he's alone. He can't fight against the whole clan by himself."

(Also, his mom clearly isn't old and frail; and he does see stats on his 'normal' teachers and classmates.)

Flickerdart
2014-01-08, 03:34 AM
(Also, his mom clearly isn't old and frail; and he does see stats on his 'normal' teachers and classmates.)
I didn't mean that question marks indicate a lack of levels. I meant that there's some other mechanism obfuscating them that we the readers do not know about yet, since his mom's title is hidden also.

Lamech
2014-01-08, 10:27 AM
I didn't mean that question marks indicate a lack of levels. I meant that there's some other mechanism obfuscating them that we the readers do not know about yet, since his mom's title is hidden also.
Also note she looks too young (http://www.mangareader.net/the-gamer/1/18). Which in all honesty is stranger than any question marks. Remember that whole deal about no doing "strange" crap? Can't freak out the muggles or Gaia offs you?

By all rights, his mother should get run over by a bus. The hackz are strong with her.

Flickerdart
2014-01-09, 12:38 PM
Also note she looks too young (http://www.mangareader.net/the-gamer/1/18). Which in all honesty is stranger than any question marks. Remember that whole deal about no doing "strange" crap? Can't freak out the muggles or Gaia offs you?

By all rights, his mother should get run over by a bus. The hackz are strong with her.
Maybe she is the bus?

Olinser
2014-01-09, 12:42 PM
I love it - this is my favorite new series that began this year. It is now in my favorite Korean Webcomic series right alongside Noblesse and Tower of God.

I'm happy to say that I have successfully predicted quite a number of plot turns already :smallcool:

BTW, new chapter raws are out

He blows the boss zombie away with a charged up Energy Bolt, Dragonball Z style.

HADOKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ibrinar
2014-01-09, 02:42 PM
I think Noblesse has plenty problems, but I somehow enjoy it when the super talkative MC or Frankenstein completly crush someone or they enemies quiver in fear when they know who Rai is.^^

Olinser
2014-01-09, 02:42 PM

Further evidence that it isn't levels is that Sun-Il's grandfather had his level ????ed out, but you could still see his title. The Mother has EVERYTHING but her name ????ed out. SOMETHING else is clearly going on with the mother.

I have 3 hypothesis, actually.

First, and simplest, is that his mother simply has an ability that blocks other abilities from affecting her - she may be one of the 'existence eaters' mentioned when Sun-Il confronted the Black Summoner, and as such has learned to neutralize abilities, or she may simply be a natural ability user herself, with an ability that blocks other abilities.

Second is that what is affecting the mother is actually not terribly uncommon in games for important characters. That is, when you meet a new character, despite them introducing themselves as XXXX, and possibly even join the party, their name, class, or attributes may still be ????ed out, until you find more information later in the story. i.e. Sun-Il's grandfather's title showed up, because Jee-Han already knew that he was the Chunbumoon Head. He may not be able to see his mother's title until he finds information out himself.

And my third crazy epileptic tree theory is that his mother is a physical manifestation of Gaia. :smallamused:

Olinser
2014-01-09, 02:44 PM
I think Noblesse has plenty problems, but I somehow enjoy it when the super talkative MC or Frankenstein completly crush someone or they enemies quiver in fear when they know who Rai is.^^

Well, yeah, every series has its share of problems.

One Piece, the unquestioned lord of sales in manga (single volume sales dwarf sales for most other SERIES), has plenty of critics and naysayers.

To me, the shortcomings of Noblesse are far outweighed by the positives, so I will continue to enjoy it immensely. :smallsmile:

Aquillion
2014-01-09, 03:22 PM
I think Noblesse has plenty problems, but I somehow enjoy it when the super talkative MC or Frankenstein completly crush someone or they enemies quiver in fear when they know who Rai is.^^It was cool the first time, but the main problem is that almost every fight scene in Noblesse has gone the exact same way for hundreds of chapters now, and that's pretty much all there is to it at this point. It feels like the writer didn't think ahead or never realized it would last so long.

Lamech
2014-01-09, 03:41 PM
Maybe she is the bus?
Heh, that would make sense.

Olinser
2014-01-09, 03:43 PM
Maybe she is the bus?

This sounds a lot dirtier in my mind than you probably meant it.

Starbuck_II
2014-01-09, 09:39 PM
And my third crazy epileptic tree theory is that his mother is a physical manifestation of Gaia. :smallamused:

Sounds like a, "Yo Momma' joke"
"Yo Momma' is so fat, she doesn't just live on the earth.
She is the Earth, yo."

Inuzuka
2014-01-10, 01:06 AM
Second is that what is affecting the mother is actually not terribly uncommon in games for important characters. That is, when you meet a new character, despite them introducing themselves as XXXX, and possibly even join the party, their name, class, or attributes may still be ????ed out, until you find more information later in the story. i.e. Sun-Il's grandfather's title showed up, because Jee-Han already knew that he was the Chunbumoon Head. He may not be able to see his mother's title until he finds information out himself.

His mother does seem to have some sort of connection with Chunbumoon, caring when Sun-Il got 'sick' enough to let Jee-Han off school to see him (http://www.mangareader.net/the-gamer/9/22).
I'd guess they're distantly related or former servants or something.
Hopefully when we find their connection, those ??? will be revealed.

Alternatively, those ??? might be revealed if Jee-Han used his Observe skill on her to check stats and stuff (http://www.mangareader.net/the-gamer/18/6). He might have to level up his Observe skill (http://www.mangareader.net/the-gamer/3/8) more first.

Olinser
2014-01-10, 09:32 AM
His mother does seem to have some sort of connection with Chunbumoon, caring when Sun-Il got 'sick' enough to let Jee-Han off school to see him (http://www.mangareader.net/the-gamer/9/22).
I'd guess they're distantly related or former servants or something.
Hopefully when we find their connection, those ??? will be revealed.

Alternatively, those ??? might be revealed if Jee-Han used his Observe skill on her to check stats and stuff (http://www.mangareader.net/the-gamer/18/6). He might have to level up his Observe skill (http://www.mangareader.net/the-gamer/3/8) more first.

Eh, I said this in the batoto forums already - I would be very, VERY cautious about using Observe on another ability user.

There is a pretty good chance that at a minimum they recognize you are an ability user and that you just used an ability on them. Hot-headed ones might interpret it as an attack. Using Observe on somebody like Black Summoner might be exactly the excuse he is waiting for to drag Jee-Han into an illusion barrier and get rid of him.

If that's the case, and other ability users can recognize when he uses it, then he could accomplish pretty much exactly the same thing by just walking up to his mother and saying, "Hey Mom, I'm a natural ability user. Let's talk."

For some reason it looks like he's unwilling to do that.

By the way, since it appears pretty clear that Black Summoner is working for somebody else, is anybody else thinking that it is either Jee-Han's mother or father that is his boss?

Lamech
2014-01-10, 11:00 AM
His gamer ability already culls some information from people. Specifically their level and title. That's how he knew his friend was such a bad-ass.

Olinser
2014-01-10, 11:06 AM
His gamer ability already culls some information from people. Specifically their level and title. That's how he knew his friend was such a bad-ass.

Yes, but that's not an active scan, like Observe is. Much like his inventory - Sun-Il couldn't see his inventory, and didn't sense anything until Jee-Han actually removed something from it.

Also, new chapter up.

Pretty much what you could tell from the raws. He blows away the zombie boss with a charged up Energy Bolt. I wonder if he could charge up Power Attack the same way?

New title, as well. I assume that this is the next level of 'Apprentice Undead Hunter', and will increase stats accordingly.

Lamech
2014-01-10, 12:35 PM
He needs to grind his skills before he tries to hunt zombies like that again. Physical toughness, his energy bolt, his spear, his inner key stuff. Then he should be able to carry himself and his friend well into the 30s!

Aquillion
2014-01-10, 03:51 PM
His mother does seem to have some sort of connection with Chunbumoon, caring when Sun-Il got 'sick' enough to let Jee-Han off school to see him (http://www.mangareader.net/the-gamer/9/22).Also, her shocked reaction in the previous page implies she had some idea of what really happened, since that's not exactly how you react when hearing someone has the flu.

For some reason it looks like he's unwilling to do that.One possible reason could be because if he's wrong and she's not an ability user, the world could kill him for breaking the masquerade.

(Although it's not really clear if you can get in trouble just for talking to normals, or if you only accumulate Paradox for using your powers in a vulgar manner in front of mundanes. Given the way his friend described it, I suspect nobody knows and they're not willing to risk it because the only way to find out you goofed is to die in a mysterious accident.)

Gez
2014-01-11, 08:02 AM
Would be cool if the latest issues were linked (http://www.batoto.net/read/_/217348/the-gamer_v1_ch19_by_bap-scans) when they're here.

Olinser
2014-01-16, 10:10 AM
New chapter raws are out.

Looks like he equips the new title.

The boss dropped a pile of treasure - a book, five potions, and a wad of cash.

The cash is 500,000 Won, which converts to about $500. Damn! Boss hunting is quite a lucrative career!

He gives a couple of the potions to Sun-Il. Sun-Il cries. :smallamused:

It's hard to tell what the skill book is, but the picture makes it look like some kind of holy/anti-undead spell - probably Turn Undead, now that I think about it, though it MIGHT be a Zombie Summon spell.

Other than that, lot of talking and discussion going on, Sun-Il appears to be explaining how souls react to form zombies. The chapter ends with Red Hair coming up behind Jee-Han in class and saying something.

Olinser
2014-01-17, 07:39 PM
Translated chapter out.

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/218761/the-gamer_v1_ch20_by_bap-scans

Interesting, so basically he can create whatever skill he wants as long as he thinks of it and uses it. Though looking back, that's exactly how Observe was created in the first place.

So it takes a while to charge, but DAMN, that's some crazy modifier on attack power, though!

Looks like the skill book was 'Energy Drain'. Interesting. Pump decent numbers into Int and Vit, I could see him making a pretty strong Drain Tank.

Wonder what Sun-Il is hiding, exactly. Something more is going on with the Black Summoner than we've seen.

Venom3053000
2014-01-17, 11:26 PM
so how long do you think it will be before he thinks of makeing weapons or items

Olinser
2014-01-17, 11:29 PM
so how long do you think it will be before he thinks of makeing weapons or items

He already has considered it, and has the beginnings of crafting skill.

However, I don't think he reasonably can make things like weapons - most games that allow you to create weapons and whatnot require a Forge/Blacksmith to do it at.

Unless he can create an ID with a forge, I think he could be out of luck.

Alchemy, on the other hand, is completely reasonable, it wouldn't be that hard to get the stuff for a lab. Heck, since apparently potions sell for a HUGE amount of money, he could make himself rich just doing that.

Venom3053000
2014-01-17, 11:37 PM
He already has considered it, and has the beginnings of crafting skill.

However, I don't think he reasonably can make things like weapons - most games that allow you to create weapons and whatnot require a Forge/Blacksmith to do it at.

Unless he can create an ID with a forge, I think he could be out of luck.

Alchemy, on the other hand, is completely reasonable, it wouldn't be that hard to get the stuff for a lab.

I had forgotten about his craft skill

I don't think a forge would be too hard to find, that one family seems to have their own weapons they might just make them since they count as speical or at least know where one is

and something I just thought of, can other people learn from a skill book, could he make copies?

Lamech
2014-01-18, 12:27 AM
That would be interesting to find out. He can learn from books other people can learn from. Maybe they can learn from his books. It would be also interesting to see if he can write out books for other people to use. Base them off the skills he has.

Also I'm betting he actually can teach other people his stuff. Okay the item spawning is a little weird, and he certainly learns abilities faster than other people, but his friend is also getting stronger pretty fast. (4 levels?)

Aquillion
2014-01-18, 01:54 AM
Interesting, so basically he can create whatever skill he wants as long as he thinks of it and uses it. Though looking back, that's exactly how Observe was created in the first place.I think it has to be an extension of what he can already do, or something he can generally attempt. For instance, he already had the ability to observe things; his power formalized it into Observe and let him advance it. He learned Energy Bolt when mastering his basic ability to manipulate energy as an ability-user, and charging it up is an extension of that.

So he could probably, say, create an ability to throw a bunch of energy bolts at once, but he probably can't learn to call down lighting or resurrect the dead just by willing it.

By the way, since it appears pretty clear that Black Summoner is working for somebody elseWhat makes you say that? IIRC his friend implied that the reason the Black Summoner had to negotiate with them is because they're an organized group while the Black Summoner is alone.

Olinser
2014-01-18, 11:42 AM
I think it has to be an extension of what he can already do, or something he can generally attempt. For instance, he already had the ability to observe things; his power formalized it into Observe and let him advance it. He learned Energy Bolt when mastering his basic ability to manipulate energy as an ability-user, and charging it up is an extension of that.

So he could probably, say, create an ability to throw a bunch of energy bolts at once, but he probably can't learn to call down lighting or resurrect the dead just by willing it.

What makes you say that? IIRC his friend implied that the reason the Black Summoner had to negotiate with them is because they're an organized group while the Black Summoner is alone.

Mainly because Sun-Il's brother outright stated that he had 'started training on summoning techniques'. Since it appears to be an acquired ability, that means somebody has to be around to train him.

His blabber about 'giving up his life for something important', also sure sounds like he's the 2nd in command ready to give up everything for his master's AWESOME PLAN to me.

Also, while Chunbumoon keeps talking about how they're going to deal with him, and just Sun-Il's grandfather alone should be able to crush him, yet for some reason they don't. Especially after Sun-Il and his brothers got owned, I would have thought they would slap the Summoner down quick. Honestly it sure seems like they want to get rid of him, but are wary of who he works for.

Lamech
2014-01-18, 12:46 PM
Probably because exactly none of those people we've seen so far are utter jackasses. (Or at least they have kept it hidden.) The summoner got attacked. He smacked them down without killing. Then they had a talk. The clan leader thought it was understandable, but wouldn't be "good for the land". Although it seemed like there was presumably some counter measure they worked out.

Not exactly something you go all vigilante killer over.

Mutant Sheep
2014-01-18, 02:53 PM
Well, I just found this today, and I'm loving it so far. A few things about his stats bug me though.

Why is he banking 40 stat points if he's planning on blowing it all on INT anyways? Why not just add it gradually and not have a massive INT jump? Get smarter over a period of time, and not suddenly get a headache from an IQ jump of 70 points.:smallsigh:

Why why why is he still at 6 wisdom? THAT ISNT ENOUGH DANGIT, IF YOUD INCREASE YOUR WIS YOU'D BE WISE ENOUGH TO INCREASE YOUR WISDOM.:smallfurious::smalltongue: 6x 1.1=NOT ENOUGH.

But yeah, its awesome.

Olinser
2014-01-18, 06:07 PM
Probably because exactly none of those people we've seen so far are utter jackasses. (Or at least they have kept it hidden.) The summoner got attacked. He smacked them down without killing. Then they had a talk. The clan leader thought it was understandable, but wouldn't be "good for the land". Although it seemed like there was presumably some counter measure they worked out.

Not exactly something you go all vigilante killer over.

No, but again this chapter Sun-Il says that they've 'already made their decision on how to deal with him'.

That sounds an awful lot like, 'don't worry about it, we'll get rid of him soon'.

Obviously we're missing a lot of information about Sun-Il's clan and what exactly the Black Summon is doing, but it certainly sounds like they don't plan on letting him go through with it.

Given that he's gathering so many souls, does it kind of seem to anybody else that he's planning to try and summon some kind of uber-beast?

Olinser
2014-01-18, 06:10 PM
Well, I just found this today, and I'm loving it so far. A few things about his stats bug me though.

Why is he banking 40 stat points if he's planning on blowing it all on INT anyways? Why not just add it gradually and not have a massive INT jump? Get smarter over a period of time, and not suddenly get a headache from an IQ jump of 70 points.:smallsigh:

Why why why is he still at 6 wisdom? THAT ISNT ENOUGH DANGIT, IF YOUD INCREASE YOUR WIS YOU'D BE WISE ENOUGH TO INCREASE YOUR WISDOM.:smallfurious::smalltongue: 6x 1.1=NOT ENOUGH.

But yeah, its awesome.

In the case of stat points, he's basically playing on 'Hardcore' mode. One life, one chance.

If he makes a poor choice with his stat points, he can't just decide to create a new character and distribute them differently.

Honestly I've done similar things in quite a few games. Most of the early levels it's not like you really need those points to deal with the weak monsters, and it gives you a chance to get more into the game and feel out what is going to be a good build and what isn't.

After all, if he HADN'T kept a lot of stat points in reserve, he wouldn't have been able to learn the Yunhon Spirit Technique right away.

Olinser
2014-01-23, 10:05 AM
Raws are out, translation will be out tomorrow or Saturday, as per usual.

Mostly talking chapter. Red Hair doesn't attack him, he talks to Sun-Il a bit, then goes home and talks a bit to his mother.

At the end... I have no idea wtf I'm looking at. It's almost like he's running a dating sim... and then suddenly gender flips to a girl and runs through some of the things he's been through. Possibly just doodling by the artist.

Lamech
2014-01-23, 09:45 PM
I shall attempt a translation today! However, as I know not Korean, nor have the motivation to edit images, it shall be in a spoiler, probably completely wrong, and only marginally in sync with the panels!
Red: Hey, hey why aren't you stopped!
Protagonist: She's gonna kill me, wait I have abilities. I'll be fine. Maybe I can talk to her. Why did you stop time you psycho?!?!?
Red: I thought you stopped it!
Protagonist: Clearly now is a good time to go on a date. The roof is a good date spot! Hey, wanna go out? There's this great roof on the building.
Red: Sure.
Protagonist: Wa?
*Wandering to the roof*
Protagonist: Really, this isn't because time is stopped and we are the only two people still moving it it? 'Cause that never works?
Red: I thought you said this was a good roof?
*To be discontinued since, I'm really lazy.

Olinser
2014-01-23, 10:27 PM
I shall attempt a translation today! However, as I know not Korean, nor have the motivation to edit images, it shall be in a spoiler, probably completely wrong, and only marginally in sync with the panels!
Red: Hey, hey why aren't you stopped!
Protagonist: She's gonna kill me, wait I have abilities. I'll be fine. Maybe I can talk to her. Why did you stop time you psycho?!?!?
Red: I thought you stopped it!
Protagonist: Clearly now is a good time to go on a date. The roof is a good date spot! Hey, wanna go out? There's this great roof on the building.
Red: Sure.
Protagonist: Wa?
*Wandering to the roof*
Protagonist: Really, this isn't because time is stopped and we are the only two people still moving it it? 'Cause that never works?
Red: I thought you said this was a good roof?
*To be discontinued since, I'm really lazy.

No need to bother. BAPSCANS is pretty good about getting the translation out decently fast - they usually get it Friday or Saturday.

Lamech
2014-01-23, 10:29 PM
The idea was for humor in being totally wrong. :smalltongue:

Olinser
2014-01-23, 10:50 PM
In fact, they're on the ball this week, translation is up already!

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/219913/the-gamer_v1_ch21_by_bap-scans

Not too much going on, but the pretty clear implication is that both Chubumoon and the Soul Blaze Fist group are about to put the smackdown on the Black Summoner.

Also, LOL DISHWASHING SKILL! :smallamused:

Lamech
2014-01-24, 04:25 PM
I'm pretty sure Sims can get that as a hidden skill too.

Anyway, shouldn't he study so he can see if he got smarters and if he can get another int point for "diligent studies"?

Olinser
2014-01-24, 04:27 PM
I'm pretty sure Sims can get that as a hidden skill too.

Anyway, shouldn't he study so he can see if he got smarters and if he can get another int point for "diligent studies"?

Actually, he never got +1 for it. His Int was 8 before he got that notice, and 8 after it.

I think it may have been a mistranslation - it probably said something like, "Diligent studying will/may cause Int to go up by 1". He hasn't actually gotten the bonus yet.

Aquillion
2014-01-24, 05:23 PM
The dishwashing skill is interesting, in that it shows that he can get skills for 'normal' day-to-day stuff and not just things appropriate for an RPG.

Ibrinar
2014-01-24, 06:19 PM
His ability really is damn useful, many fictional abilities are very fight centric, but he can do anything he wants and his ability helps him.

Pronounceable
2014-01-24, 08:16 PM
This thing is cool and nifty. I was mildly amused and interested until that extra bit at the end but now I'm the biggest fan of the author.
Conquer Failed!

razorfloss
2014-01-25, 12:15 PM
The extra chapter was funny and when his friend offers to put on the dress I dead

Starbuck_II
2014-01-25, 03:20 PM
This thing is cool and nifty. I was mildly amused and interested until that extra bit at the end but now I'm the biggest fan of the author.
Conquer Failed!

Was it a dream sequence or did that really happen? :smallbiggrin:

Olinser
2014-01-26, 09:45 AM
Was it a dream sequence or did that really happen? :smallbiggrin:

Just the author giving us some extra doodles between chapters.

Olinser
2014-01-30, 10:22 AM
Raws for new chapter out.

Gets a new quest from his mother and wanders off.

Then he pulls up his skill list - DAMN he has 23 skills!

Then it looks like he tries to make a specific kind of illusion barrier and succeeds - and looks HILARIOUS doing it.

Lamech
2014-01-30, 12:55 PM
He appears to be experimenting in an attempt to create skills.

I note he hasn't learned life steal yet. He appears to learn two new skills and level his illusion barrier! And he has a quest!

He doesn't particularly happy about his new skills though.

lord_khaine
2014-01-31, 07:34 PM
Bwahahahaha!!!

Oh gods.. the truth about his new skill was bloody hilarious :smallbiggrin:

Pronounceable
2014-01-31, 08:28 PM
Something is fishy about his mom. Whatever random thing she says becomes a quest that gives him loads of free xp. Either Gamer ability made her daily random questgiver or she's the final boss masquarading as a town NPC.

TheEmerged
2014-01-31, 09:43 PM
Well duh, obviously the skill created is based on what you're *doing*, not what you're pretending to do. So you're going to have to be actually dodging something real, dimwit :smallwink:

Of course, you realize he's going to need this skill for a future boss :smallamused:

Lamech
2014-02-01, 12:04 AM
He needs to grind his passive skills. He's got three IIRC, the physical toughness one, and the two that generally boost his stats. Plus misc weapon mastery skills.

What about new skills though? He could probably get some sort of speed boost by running a lot. He might be able to increase his mana regen in a similar way to how he learned his spell shield. That's really important because it lets him grind his other skills.

If he wants an escape skill he already has it. ID escape. Breaks an illusion barrier. He just needs to get it to a higher level. That will get him away from most enemies. Or creating an illusion barrier for the mundies. Similarly drilling the creation skill might get him cooler dungeons, like the healing room. Those should both be drilled. Then I would look into epic jumps.

For defensive skills he has mana shield, his resistance, and a healing spell. Drill ALL of them.

For evasion he probably just needs to practice evading a lot.

Math_Mage
2014-02-01, 07:53 AM
I'm sure Sun-Il's older sister will be happy to help Kwon Shi-Hyuk with evasion practice. :smallamused:

THROW ALL THE THINGS

Olinser
2014-02-01, 01:42 PM
I'm sure Sun-Il's older sister will be happy to help Kwon Shi-Hyuk with evasion practice. :smallamused:

THROW ALL THE THINGS

If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball!

Lamech
2014-02-01, 03:23 PM
Exactly! I bet she would also be willing to help him practice his physical toughness. And provide injuries for him to heal. Its the perfect combo.

Venom3053000
2014-02-02, 05:21 PM
he needs to grind his new skill :smallbiggrin:

Lamech
2014-02-02, 06:12 PM
he needs to grind his new skill :smallbiggrin:
Actually, yeah. Especially depending on affects at later levels. Status effects are glorious things, and if it begins to output something other than confusion, well... even better.

Venom3053000
2014-02-02, 09:00 PM
Actually, yeah. Especially depending on affects at later levels. Status effects are glorious things, and if it begins to output something other than confusion, well... even better.

yup :smallbiggrin:

slow would be great or blind, poison really any status effect would be great

Lamech
2014-02-02, 09:12 PM
What are some other possible effects of the fools dance upgrades: Multiple targets, longer duration, maybe intelligence damage, or rage. Hmm... possible stun from the laughter. Maybe a moral boost to his side! The possibilities are endless. :smalltongue:

Olinser
2014-02-02, 10:38 PM

Actually, just confusion is pretty amazing.

Confusion is one of the better debuffs to land on enemies.

Generally, they have about a 50% chance to attack themselves/teammates, and even if they don't, they hit a random person with a random ability. Either way, they usually aren't making an effective action.

Aquillion
2014-02-03, 12:14 AM
he needs to grind his new skill :smallbiggrin:I suspect he doesn't need to grind it; it will just go up if he acts naturally. :smallbiggrin:

Flickerdart
2014-02-03, 09:40 AM
I suspect he doesn't need to grind it; it will just go up if he acts naturally. :smallbiggrin:
Yeah, we'll probably be getting a "your ability levelled up" brick joke at least once after he does something.

Thrawn183
2014-02-03, 10:45 AM
While I think it's not very likely, do we know if grinding skills gives experience?

I can definitely see problems potentially resulting from grinding common day-to-day skills, only to be unable to level combat abilities because it starts taking too much experience.

I... may have had an entirely useless Morrowind character resulting from this.

Flickerdart
2014-02-03, 01:55 PM
While I think it's not very likely, do we know if grinding skills gives experience?

I can definitely see problems potentially resulting from grinding common day-to-day skills, only to be unable to level combat abilities because it starts taking too much experience.

I... may have had an entirely useless Morrowind character resulting from this.

Well, it would explain why main characters tend to have the social skills of a brick.

Aquillion
2014-02-03, 05:40 PM
I... may have had an entirely useless Morrowind character resulting from this.It was even worse in Oblivion and Skyrim because of the level scaling -- you could become very very good at lockpicking and stealing, only to discover that because the game now thinks you're highly skilled, every enemy is massively dangerous and you have no combat skills that can handle them.

So far, though, it seems like the main character in this setting can just gain more skills and advance existing ones without any real limitations. On top of this, there are apparently passive skills that raise his stats.

lunar2
2014-02-03, 07:13 PM
he needs to get his low skills at least up to 10, to take advantage of that passive +10% bonus he's got. i just can't stand having bonuses i don't actually get any benefit from, even if they are to stats i don't have a lot of use for.

Math_Mage
2014-02-03, 11:58 PM
he needs to get his low skills at least up to 10, to take advantage of that passive +10% bonus he's got. i just can't stand having bonuses i don't actually get any benefit from, even if they are to stats i don't have a lot of use for.
This is false optimization, no? He gets +1 stat for every 10 point he puts into any stat, so focusing one stat doesn't mean reducing the benefit of his passive. Also, remainders might be hidden but not deleted.

Olinser
2014-02-06, 09:48 AM
New raws are out.

He continues playing around trying to unlock new skills. It looks like he succeeds in creating some kind of magical spear/arrow that he can throw at a target.

Then he meditates for a while and gets a stat/MP bonus.

Other than that, not a lot going on, it looks mainly like an exposition chapter.

Prime32
2014-02-10, 01:04 PM
If I had those powers I'd try to shape mana into "bottles" that I can form around an attack, allowing me to store it for later use. That way you could create a bunch of bottled Spiral Energy Bolts in downtime, and rely on those instead of mana in battle.

If you can shape the bottle into a spike and release the attack from its tip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP74axLxPD4) then all the better.

Olinser
2014-02-10, 02:17 PM
Translation is out, btw. http://www.batoto.net/read/_/223304/the-gamer_v1_ch23_by_bap-scans

Not a lot going on, he's just figuring out his skills. No real big new information in the chapter.

Lamech
2014-02-13, 12:22 PM
So, he wanders into an illusion barrier. A bunch of messages. Then he discovers a super cool menu. And he USES IT! Then he finds an apperently dead girl.

After using all the stuff the zombies dropped, probably some new discoveries and lots of healing he gets the girl back on her feat. They talk. Black Summoner appears and poofs away with the girl.

Prediction: He resurrected a dead girl. Completing the Black Summoner's goal.
...ME WANT TRANSLATION, RAWS SUPER COOL:smalltongue:

Olinser
2014-02-13, 04:57 PM
So, he wanders into an illusion barrier. A bunch of messages. Then he discovers a super cool menu. And he USES IT! Then he finds an apperently dead girl.

After using all the stuff the zombies dropped, probably some new discoveries and lots of healing he gets the girl back on her feat. They talk. Black Summoner appears and poofs away with the girl.

Prediction: He resurrected a dead girl. Completing the Black Summoner's goal.
...ME WANT TRANSLATION, RAWS SUPER COOL:smalltongue:

My friend that reads moderate Korean tells me that

The menu that appeared was him turning off automatic entry into illusion barriers.

As in now, it should display a message for him, something to the effect of, "Do you wish to enter ILLUSION BARRIER ZOMBIE X".

Also, the girl wasn't dead, but allegedly she has like... a disease/sickness/condition? he wasn't too clear on that, but apparently she has to be healed regularly or she dies.

Olinser
2014-02-15, 08:02 PM
Translation is up http://www.batoto.net/read/_/224713/the-gamer_v1_ch24_by_bap-scans

So, my friend was right, she did have a sickness that drains her life force.

Interesting that she is allegedly Black Summoner's daughter.

Right now I'm thinking that she's his 'daughter' in the sense that he created her - which is probably what he's doing with all the zombie souls.

Thrawn183
2014-02-15, 08:19 PM
My guess is he's going to be using all the souls to cure her somehow. The options menu was hilarious. Hope he won't be home too late to fulfill his mother's quest.

Gez
2014-02-15, 08:32 PM
He should have tried changing some of the video options... In his place, I'd have been absurdly curious about it. Like, can you get microscopic vision by increasing the world's resolution?

Thrawn183
2014-02-15, 08:47 PM
He should have tried changing some of the video options... In his place, I'd have been absurdly curious about it. Like, can you get microscopic vision by increasing the world's resolution?

I had been wondering about a color-blind mode myself, though I expect it might turn out slightly differently...

Venom3053000
2014-02-15, 09:58 PM
i wonder if he have an options menu :smallamused:

Flickerdart
2014-02-16, 12:48 AM
I'm thinking he'll eventually look for the Difficulty setting.

Actually, the presence or absence of that will be an interesting signifier of whether he's merely a character, like he suspects, or the character.

Aquillion
2014-02-16, 01:18 AM
What I'm amazed by is that the Black Summoner and his daughter immediately understood the situation rather than leaping to a hilariously wrong conclusion the way these things usually go. I guess her 79 int isn't just for show.

Ibrinar
2014-02-16, 07:23 AM
Yeah and usually I find I annoying rather than funny.

Indeed I want to see the content of these tabs, I didn't expect him to have a video options menu.

Lamech
2014-02-16, 09:36 AM
Translation is up http://www.batoto.net/read/_/224713/the-gamer_v1_ch24_by_bap-scans

So, my friend was right, she did have a sickness that drains her life force.

Interesting that she is allegedly Black Summoner's daughter.

Right now I'm thinking that she's his 'daughter' in the sense that he created her - which is probably what he's doing with all the zombie souls.
Well, he might have been using the souls to cure her. Sort of like the Gamer used them to heal her.

lord_khaine
2014-02-16, 02:03 PM
Well.. this actually explains just about everything that had happened so far, BS had a sick daugther, and were were apperently working to cure or at least keep her alive.
It explains both what purpose he had that was more important than his own life, and also why he were apperently not a bad guy.

Im pretty sure she is his real flesh and blood daugther, else The Gamers inspect ability should have picked something up.

Olinser
2014-02-16, 02:47 PM
Well.. this actually explains just about everything that had happened so far, BS had a sick daugther, and were were apperently working to cure or at least keep her alive.
It explains both what purpose he had that was more important than his own life, and also why he were apperently not a bad guy.

Im pretty sure she is his real flesh and blood daugther, else The Gamers inspect ability should have picked something up.

It did actually - in a negative sense. By that, I mean that his ability indicated absolutely nothing about her being Black Summoner's daughter, other than her name, which is just a name, especially in Korea where there are significantly less family names in use than a country like the US.

Not only that, four things about her are extremely abnormal:

1) Her class is 'Black Demon's Invader' (hardly the kind of class a sick kid should have, and one that sets off major alarm bells).

2) Her title is 'Escapee from Death'

3) Her attributes are Darkness and Demonic

4) Her Int, Wis and Luk are ABNORMALLY high for a level 12. She has a total aggregate stat value of 212 - FAR higher than Jee-Han, who at level 16 only had a total of 113 stat points. That number of points is comparable to Sun-Il at level 29, who had aggregate stat points of 241. In other words, purely by stats, she should have a level in the mid-20's.

She's definitely not everything she seems. The only other thing that I can think of, given her title, is that she actually DIED, and Black Summoner raised her from the dead - but brought her back wrong.

Prime32
2014-02-16, 04:45 PM
1) Her class is 'Black Demon's Invader' (hardly the kind of class a sick kid should have, and one that sets off major alarm bells).Mistranslation maybe? How much English is in the raws?

lord_khaine
2014-02-16, 05:03 PM
It did actually - in a negative sense. By that, I mean that his ability indicated absolutely nothing about her being Black Summoner's daughter, other than her name, which is just a name, especially in Korea where there are significantly less family names in use than a country like the US.

I disagree, we have not seen Inspect reveal anyone elses family relation, so i can not see any reason for why it should have revealed her as BS's daughter. And when she shares name with BS who says she is his daughter then i do belive thats the most simple and likely explanation.

Well.. just that she is in a illusion barrier indicates that she is an ability user, so why should she be normal :smallconfused:

as for 1-4, then those points were directly explained in her background, she is invaded by the darkness and demon atribute, that continiously drains her health.
Her high attribues are likely a result of passive bonuses from that.

Gez
2014-02-16, 06:04 PM
1) Her class is 'Black Demon's Invader' (hardly the kind of class a sick kid should have, and one that sets off major alarm bells).

Class name is explained by her "innate curse", "Black Demon's Invasion". (Might be a mistranslation here. I guess the idea was that of possession. I cannot read Korean at all, but I'd guess that "Black Demon's Possessed" would have been a better translation than Invader.)

Titles are acquired. She has a condition that drains her lifeforce constantly, but she has survived so far.

The attributes explain the rest, they are the cause of both the class, the status effects, and the title.

Note that the "Observe" text says her race is "human" and that her background mentions having been afflicted this way "from birth".

Lamech
2014-02-16, 10:48 PM

4) Her Int, Wis and Luk are ABNORMALLY high for a level 12. She has a total aggregate stat value of 212 - FAR higher than Jee-Han, who at level 16 only had a total of 113 stat points. That number of points is comparable to Sun-Il at level 29, who had aggregate stat points of 241. In other words, purely by stats, she should have a level in the mid-20's.

She's definitely not everything she seems. The only other thing that I can think of, given her title, is that she actually DIED, and Black Summoner raised her from the dead - but brought her back wrong.
1) Probably some sort of mistranslation and/or different idioms. The got hit with a demon curse at birth (Black Demon Invasion) and her class reflects that.
2) See needs infusions of life-force. She should be dead.
3) Yeah, again see curse.
4) She's the Black Summoner's daughter. And an ability user. She probably got her stats up from that. More to the point The Gamer is the only one who uses the Gamer Ability to acquire his power. Everyone else gets it the normal way. The Gamer is the weird one. Even if other people did follow the same rules (or The Gamer System is a model of their rules), he has a much higher fighting:training ratio compared to everyone else. People who get them by training will have grinded skills and abilities more than him by the time they reach the same level.

The curse explains 1-3, and being the Black Summoners daughter explains 4.

AgentofOdd
2014-02-17, 01:51 AM
Mistranslation maybe? How much English is in the raws?Well, it's literally accurate. The first part 흑마(黑魔)의 is literally black demon's. The second part 침습자 (侵襲者) is most likely an alternate or archaic word for invader, raider, you get the drift. Still, I got all that info by browsing online dictionaries so take with grain of salt, especially when it comes to comprehending hanja (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanja).

Thrawn183
2014-02-17, 12:28 PM
Still, I got all that info by browsing online dictionaries so take with grain of salt, especially when it comes to comprehending hanja (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanja).

Maybe the translator was smoking the ganja.... I'll see myself out now.

Inuzuka
2014-02-18, 02:50 PM
New girl was cursed by the Black Demon and her father is the Black Summoner. If anything I would say it's his fault his daughter was targeted and he's trying to fix it, which is why the Chunbumoon allowed him to continue when they talked it out.

danelsan
2014-02-19, 08:34 PM

Do keep in mind that in many MMOs and other games where you can accumulate percent bonuses, the calculations handled by the engine behind the game do use fractions.

I think that +1.5 he had in his Strength is superior to having just a +1, for instance.

Olinser
2014-02-20, 10:05 AM
New raws are out.

He's gotten quite a bit stronger due to his new skills. He can summon up to 5 of the Spinning Charged Arrows at once, and he takes out another Legion Zombie solo like it was nothing.

He also gets several new types of loot. From normal zombies, looks like hair and another tooth, and from the boss, he gets some more potions and money, but then instead of a skill book he gets what looks like a Large Soul Stone (probably going to use it to try to cure the girl, I assume).

This leads me to believe that the boss loot table is set as something like, "ALWAYS drops $400-$600, 4-6 potions, and 1 random item from Legion Zombie Loot Table".

The end of the chapter cuts to Black Summoner and his daughter talking in a hospital, I believe about how she suddenly got better, and Summoner obviously realizes why.

Sure bet that Summoner is going hunting for Jee-Han very shortly.

Gez
2014-02-20, 10:39 AM
Make your bets:
1. Black Summoner is attempting to cure his daughter from her condition, or
2. Black Summoner is attempting to develop the condition in his daughter (even if he pretends the contrary) so as to summon the Black Demon and her having been partly healed is a setback in his nefarious plans!

I kind of hope it's not #2 because that would be quite a tired cliché.

Math_Mage
2014-02-20, 11:50 AM
Make your bets:
2. Black Summoner is attempting to develop the condition in his daughter (even if he pretends the contrary) so as to summon the Black Demon and her having been partly healed is a setback in his nefarious plans!

Right, because "I'm doing it for the sick Woobie" isn't a chichéd motivation. :smalltongue:

Olinser
2014-02-20, 12:38 PM
Make your bets:

Crazy theory 3:

Jee-Han's mother is the Black Demon, and is infecting ability users at birth to take over the world.

Lamech
2014-02-20, 01:54 PM
Sure bet that Summoner is going hunting for Jee-Han very shortly.

Not just hunting... HEADHUNTING! Okay, that was a terrible pun. I'm reasonably certain he'll just ask him next time he shows up at school. And Jee-Han will say yes. In fact, I think Jee-Han is gonna try and find sick girl to use his new extra fancy soul stone on.

On that note, I wonder how far the time skip was? There was obviously somewhat of a skip, since he is no longer in Empty Barrier. Did he grind up his arrow skill too?

On the plus side, he can probably grind legion zombies if he is taking them ou this easy.

Olinser
2014-02-20, 02:09 PM
Not just hunting... HEADHUNTING! Okay, that was a terrible pun. I'm reasonably certain he'll just ask him next time he shows up at school. And Jee-Han will say yes. In fact, I think Jee-Han is gonna try and find sick girl to use his new extra fancy soul stone on.

On that note, I wonder how far the time skip was? There was obviously somewhat of a skip, since he is no longer in Empty Barrier. Did he grind up his arrow skill too?

On the plus side, he can probably grind legion zombies if he is taking them ou this easy.

No time skip, that implies a large period of time has passed.

A day or two, probably.

Aquillion
2014-02-20, 03:09 PM
I forgot to mention several other things I liked about the last chapter:

The girl's reaction (and her father's) seemed realistic -- not like you usually see in these stories. On one hand there was no crazy/stupid misunderstanding like you usually see in these stories, but she also reacted the way you'd expect her to react on waking up near a strange guy -- she carefully composed herself and thanked him politely, but made sure that he knew that her father would have saved her anyway so he didn't save her life, rather than being immediately overwhelmed by ridiculous amounts of gratitude. It felt like how a real-world person would respond in that situation.

Also, she recognized who he was. That means that her father must keep her well-informed about the Abyss and any ability-users he encounters.

Gez
2014-02-20, 03:56 PM
Right, because "I'm doing it for the sick Woobie" isn't a chichéd motivation. :smalltongue:

If taking care of your ailing child is cliché, then breathing is cliché too. It's natural.

Olinser
2014-02-20, 05:59 PM
If taking care of your ailing child is cliché, then breathing is cliché too. It's natural.

What he's referring to is people going to incredible Evil Villain lengths to take care of said child.

i.e. Going to the next town for medicine = normal taking care of sick child.

Building an altar and sacrificing 10 local virgins on it to summon a demon to cure sick child = cliche excuse.

Math_Mage
2014-02-20, 07:09 PM
What he's referring to is people going to incredible Evil Villain lengths to take care of said child.

i.e. Going to the next town for medicine = normal taking care of sick child.

Building an altar and sacrificing 10 local virgins on it to summon a demon to cure sick child = cliche excuse.
Yeah, basically this. It's a clichéd "look look he's still sympathetic" villain motive, not a clichéd motive.

Lamech
2014-02-21, 01:06 PM
He hasn't really done anything particularly villainous. Other than maybe abuse of the souls of the dead. But that would make Jee-Han just as guilty since he's been grinding the things. And in all honesty the Black Summoner's method of soul using, gathering them and absorbing them into a large ball, seems significantly less cruel than Jee-Han's rampages. Hell, the souls of the dead respond by forming into an aggressive collective and try to kill Jee-Han.

So far he seems about as normal as Jee-Han's mom, and less villainous than the protagonist of the story.

Olinser
2014-02-21, 03:32 PM
He hasn't really done anything particularly villainous. Other than maybe abuse of the souls of the dead. But that would make Jee-Han just as guilty since he's been grinding the things. And in all honesty the Black Summoner's method of soul using, gathering them and absorbing them into a large ball, seems significantly less cruel than Jee-Han's rampages. Hell, the souls of the dead respond by forming into an aggressive collective and try to kill Jee-Han.

So far he seems about as normal as Jee-Han's mom, and less villainous than the protagonist of the story.

Black Summoner isn't evil because of the zombies he's harvesting. His Obvious Evilness was established at his first appearance, where he threatened somebody he perceived as a totally harmless civilian (Jee-Han), just to try and provoke somebody to fight (Red-Haired Moron, whose name always escapes me for some reason), apparently just for his own entertainment. And then totally ignored his slime, which WOULD have killed Jee-Han if he were a normal person.

He was set up at the outset to be a villain. If the author tries to shift him to a 'misunderstood guy' because he has a sick kid he's going to great lengths to cure, it's a stupid cliche excuse, especially because it's not that likely the Chunbumoon would have interfered if they knew he was just trying to cure her, and to go around picking fights with other powerful ability users for no reason (Red-Hair and Sun-Il) isn't exactly the smartest thing to do when you're trying to get help for somebody.

Ibrinar
2014-02-21, 04:09 PM
I don't think a normal person would have died. The slime only constrained him until he ripped himself free. So Red hair would probably just have dealt with the slime once she was finished with her enemy.

lord_khaine
2014-02-21, 08:20 PM
Black Summoner isn't evil because of the zombies he's harvesting. His Obvious Evilness was established at his first appearance, where he threatened somebody he perceived as a totally harmless civilian (Jee-Han), just to try and provoke somebody to fight (Red-Haired Moron, whose name always escapes me for some reason), apparently just for his own entertainment. And then totally ignored his slime, which WOULD have killed Jee-Han if he were a normal person.

Except that he to start with would know there was something fishy going on with him being inside of an illusion barrier.

And as already mentioned, the only thing he actually did was to dangle Jee-Han in the air a bit, we have no way of knowing if he would have carried though with his threats.

And while he might not be a good guy, then we have not yet evidence of him being an evil person.

Drakeburn
2014-02-21, 08:27 PM
Although it might be possible that whatever demon(s) the Black Summoner dealt with might become interested in the matter, reminding the Black Summoner about his side of the bargain, take control over his daughter, or simply have an offer to give to Jee-Han (maybe more power or new skills).

Although, this is just a theory of what might happen.

Flickerdart
2014-02-21, 10:22 PM
Is Batoto the best site for translations of this? The new chapter isn't up there yet.

Olinser
2014-02-21, 10:38 PM
Is Batoto the best site for translations of this? The new chapter isn't up there yet.

That's the site that the group that translates it posts it to first, so yes, that is the site that will have the translation first.

The actual translator site is http://bapscans.blogspot.com/#. (They also translate a couple other decent webcomics).

It looks like the translation is done, but they still have to typeset it before they release the chapter.

Forrestfire
2014-02-21, 10:39 PM
Batoto is the best site for it, yes. I'm pretty sure the current chapter hasn't been translated yet.

Aquillion
2014-02-21, 11:11 PM

He was set up at the outset to be a villain. If the author tries to shift him to a 'misunderstood guy' because he has a sick kid he's going to great lengths to cure, it's a stupid cliche excuse, especially because it's not that likely the Chunbumoon would have interfered if they knew he was just trying to cure her, and to go around picking fights with other powerful ability users for no reason (Red-Hair and Sun-Il) isn't exactly the smartest thing to do when you're trying to get help for somebody.That scene does sort of bother me in retrospect, in that it seems completely at odds with his characterization in every other scene since then. (Jee-Han's best friend even said outright that the Black Summoner is not a bad guy, which does seem at odds with threatening to arbitrarily kill a random civilian.)

All I can think of is that he wasn't really serious or that knew that she'd fight so it wouldn't come to that.

(He wasn't doing it for his own entertainment, though. He said he needed to gauge her strength to "prepare for what's going to happen.")

Ibrinar
2014-02-22, 09:13 AM
Though characters can be ruthless and not very nice without being the main villain or even an enemy of the protagonists. One should never forget that there can be more than two neatly defined opposing sides.

Olinser
2014-02-22, 10:04 AM
That scene does sort of bother me in retrospect, in that it seems completely at odds with his characterization in every other scene since then. (Jee-Han's best friend even said outright that the Black Summoner is not a bad guy, which does seem at odds with threatening to arbitrarily kill a random civilian.)

All I can think of is that he wasn't really serious or that knew that she'd fight so it wouldn't come to that.

(He wasn't doing it for his own entertainment, though. He said he needed to gauge her strength to "prepare for what's going to happen.")

Which still doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If all he's trying to do is cure his sick kid, it's not exactly smart to just go around antagonizing powerful ability users for no reason.

Ibrinar
2014-02-22, 12:29 PM
I don't think it's all he wants to do, otherwise his stated intention for attacking her doesn't make sense. Except the healing somehow causes the demon to appear or something like that, and he wants to let others take care of it.^^

boomwolf
2014-02-22, 01:02 PM
Well, we don't know how that fight STARTED, red-hair could have started it in a previous encounter, the two seem to know each other.

As for the slime, its entirely possible it was ordered not to be lethal, or not to even harm (as it seems that despite the huge level difference, it never lands a hit)

While his intentions are probably not pure, i wont label him as "obvious evil", probably just a dude that cares of his own, and not about others.

Olinser
2014-02-22, 04:21 PM
Well, we don't know how that fight STARTED, red-hair could have started it in a previous encounter, the two seem to know each other.

As for the slime, its entirely possible it was ordered not to be lethal, or not to even harm (as it seems that despite the huge level difference, it never lands a hit)

While his intentions are probably not pure, i wont label him as "obvious evil", probably just a dude that cares of his own, and not about others.

I am referring to not just Red Hair, but Sun-Il and his brothers as well.

'Hey guys, I'm collecting souls to heal my sick kid' probably would have stopped a fight there as well.

And with regards to Red-Hair, sure, she may have started the fight - but who started the fight is pretty irrelevant. It was pretty clear that with the difference in power (not to mention his teleportation), Black Summoner could have ended the fight any time he chose. Instead he dragged Jee-Han into it, from his own mouth to keep Red Hair from just leaving.

Olinser
2014-02-22, 10:25 PM
Translation is up http://www.batoto.net/read/_/226041/the-gamer_v1_ch25_by_bap-scans

Math_Mage
2014-02-23, 01:59 AM
noooooo it really is a villain excuse dammit dammit dammit

it's a bit weird for hwan sung-gon to be talking in game-like terms, 'freezing effect' and the like.

Gez
2014-02-23, 05:03 AM
The real question here is whether he'll look at the protagonist as an alternate, probably safer, and less confrontational method to heal his daughter, or whether he'll stay stuck in his plans.

Ibrinar
2014-02-23, 05:29 AM
Also if the protagonist can heal her, why didn't he go to someone who learned that technique normally, or maybe the crystals are the difference.

Thrawn183
2014-02-23, 02:02 PM
My guess is the freezing effect will be reapplied shortly.

Gez
2014-02-23, 03:11 PM
Also if the protagonist can heal her, why didn't he go to someone who learned that technique normally, or maybe the crystals are the difference.

There's a big difference between normal mechanisms and the simplified abstractions used by games. These abstractions result in instantaneous effects for things which normally take a lot of time. It also increases their efficiency greatly. This has been shown both with the recovery technique and the skill books; in both cases the other characters (can we call them NPCs?) were astounded by the instantaneous nature of the effect.

Someone with a normal version of the technique may simply take too long to heal these effects.

Aquillion
2014-02-23, 07:50 PM
noooooo it really is a villain excuse dammit dammit dammitI don't think we're supposed to see him as a villain now anyway. He hasn't really done anything remotely villainous since his first appearance. Plus, he's the main character's teacher.

I don't think it's all he wants to do, otherwise his stated intention for attacking her doesn't make sense. Except the healing somehow causes the demon to appear or something like that, and he wants to let others take care of it.^^I think that that probably makes the most sense -- his daughter is used to confine the demon, and 'healing' her will release it.

This explains a number of things. He needed to test the power of nearby ability users to be sure that they'll be able to handle it and won't get killed when the demon is released. It also explains why he didn't immediately ask the main character to remove Black Demon's Invasion -- removing that is not the hard part.

lord_khaine
2014-02-23, 08:20 PM
Someone with a normal version of the technique may simply take too long to heal these effects.

I suspect the main difference where the use of the soul stone, it might not be something a normal user of the technique can use.

And if they are a component for augumenting a recovery technique, then we also have a motive for BS to hunt down zombies on his own.

I think that that probably makes the most sense -- his daughter is used to confine the demon, and 'healing' her will release it.

This explains a number of things. He needed to test the power of nearby ability users to be sure that they'll be able to handle it and won't get killed when the demon is released. It also explains why he didn't immediately ask the main character to remove Black Demon's Invasion -- removing that is not the hard part.

If she is used to contain it then i dont think it would be called an invasion by the darkness and deamon trait she were suffering from, something that also hints at it being more along the line of an elemental force and less of an actual demon.

And i think its more likely he did not ask the main character because he did not believe he could remove it. Something that were properly correct.

Math_Mage
2014-02-24, 11:03 AM
I don't think we're supposed to see him as a villain now anyway. He hasn't really done anything remotely villainous since his first appearance. Plus, he's the main character's teacher.
He's the main character's teacher because everything important is at high school. That doesn't mean anything.

The scene in the hospital with Sung-ah is all but dispositive.

Lamech
2014-02-27, 05:13 PM
BOOM! He grinded his healing skill. There is a new (probable) ability user in the school. Level 10 green hair. Jee-Han's white haired friend is now level 31. Black Summoner the teacher is gone. The Black Demon Invader has gotten into class with Jee-Han. Red hair girl is slumped over and in a bad mood. I'm guessing the destruction of the illusion barriers didn't go as well as planned.

Oh and Jee-Han finally learned the life suck skill. Presumably to help the Black Demon Invader.

Thrawn183
2014-02-27, 09:28 PM
Though characters can be ruthless and not very nice without being the main villain or even an enemy of the protagonists. One should never forget that there can be more than two neatly defined opposing sides.

Yeah, let's not forget how close Sun-il came to murder.

At a certain point, it stops being unreasonable to attack people that randomly appear in the middle of a battle.

Aquillion
2014-02-28, 05:04 AM
He was set up at the outset to be a villain. If the author tries to shift him to a 'misunderstood guy' because he has a sick kid he's going to great lengths to cure, it's a stupid cliche excuse, especially because it's not that likely the Chunbumoon would have interfered if they knew he was just trying to cure her, and to go around picking fights with other powerful ability users for no reason (Red-Hair and Sun-Il) isn't exactly the smartest thing to do when you're trying to get help for somebody.Belatedly, because I just noticed this:

He didn't pick a fight with Sun-Il. Sun-Il sought him out and picked a fight with him (solely because he was operating in Chunbumoon territory); after dealing with that without killing anyone, he sought out the Chunbumoon elders, explained the situation with them, and reached an understanding with them so it wouldn't happen again.

It is likely that the Black Summoner didn't realize Chunbumoon would react that way or he would have explained himself sooner.

Thrawn183
2014-03-04, 10:23 PM
Belatedly, because I just noticed this:

He didn't pick a fight with Sun-Il. Sun-Il sought him out and picked a fight with him (solely because he was operating in Chunbumoon territory); after dealing with that without killing anyone, he sought out the Chunbumoon elders, explained the situation with them, and reached an understanding with them so it wouldn't happen again.

It is likely that the Black Summoner didn't realize Chunbumoon would react that way or he would have explained himself sooner.

On the other hand, it is heavily implied the Black Summoner is seeking out people strong enough to fight the Black Demon whenever he is able to pull it out of his daughter. That's what the whole first fight was about.

The main character's new ability makes me think of psionics what with Hostile Empathic Transfer.

Olinser
2014-03-06, 12:00 PM
New raws.

Red Hair chick is looking pissed at Black Summoner's daughter.

Jee-Han runs into another ??? ability user - it's a ........... woman??? :smallconfused: with silverish hair and a suit that appears to be trying to recruit him. They have coffee and talk for a while.

TheEmerged
2014-03-09, 09:57 PM
Interesting new chapter. I have to say he needs some kind of conflict or danger soon or this is going to get boring (which would be a pity, because I'm enjoying this).

Math_Mage
2014-03-09, 11:40 PM
Oh, hey, context incoming!

Olinser
2014-03-10, 09:46 AM
Translation is up

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/229499/the-gamer_v1_ch27_by_bap-scans

Interesting, so long hair is a dude, and runs an Abyss auction house.

Makes sense, honestly, ability users would need some forum they could sell ability created goods without risking BOLT FROM TEH HEAVENS.

He also delivers a generic warning to Jee-Han. No real information here, he's connected in some way to so many different factions that the 'certain somebody' could be almost anybody at this point - his mother, Sun-Il, Red Hair, Black Summoner, Black Summoner's daughter.

Lamech
2014-03-10, 11:03 AM
So, that guy is awesome. (Although are we sure Jee-Han just didn't get her gender wrong?). Also guessing from Red Head's glaring and Jee-Han's very recent spate of healing the Black Demon Invader is probably the reason. I suppose someone could be moving against the martial artists, or his mother but... they don't seem like they have any enemies.

Thrawn183
2014-03-11, 10:33 AM
So, that guy is awesome. (Although are we sure Jee-Han just didn't get her gender wrong?). Also guessing from Red Head's glaring and Jee-Han's very recent spate of healing the Black Demon Invader is probably the reason. I suppose someone could be moving against the martial artists, or his mother but... they don't seem like they have any enemies.

I think it's just a Korean thing. I've seen the exact same joke made in Ability.

I'm too lazy to check, but I remember Black Summoner's daughter having some crazy mental stats for someone level 12. That could be important at some point.

Lamech
2014-03-11, 05:22 PM
Yeah, I think they were high compared to Jee-Han's way of improving stats. However Jee-Han is probably pretty unique. Everyone else seems to get abilities by training over actual fighting. Jee-Han gets them by mass murdering zombies. Training probably gives more stats (remember the diligent study ping?), skills than "xp".

And that's assuming we can generalize Jee-Han to everyone else. The girl clearly isn't a muggle, but I don't think its weird to compared to what a a child of a powerful ability user would have.

Olinser
2014-03-11, 06:36 PM
I think it's just a Korean thing. I've seen the exact same joke made in Ability.

I'm too lazy to check, but I remember Black Summoner's daughter having some crazy mental stats for someone level 12. That could be important at some point.

Androgynous individuals being mistaken for the other sex is actually an Asian thing in general, many Japanese manga make jokes about it as well. Crossdressing in general is bigger over there (though not really popular by any measure).

Heck, in a few anime, they're so androgynous that the actual import staff confuses their gender when porting an anime out of the country.

Venom3053000
2014-03-12, 05:38 PM
I wonder how much money spend he'll spend at the auction site

Olinser
2014-03-12, 05:52 PM
I wonder how much money spend he'll spend at the auction site

A better question is how much he'll MAKE at the auction site.

Remember, Sun-Il said that those potions alone are worth thousands of dollars each.

Who knows how much the alchemical ingredients he's been gathering could be worth? Not to mention that MASSIVE Soul Stone.

TheEmerged
2014-03-12, 06:50 PM
A better question is how much he'll MAKE at the auction site.

Remember, Sun-Il said that those potions alone are worth thousands of dollars each.

Who knows how much the alchemical ingredients he's been gathering could be worth? Not to mention that MASSIVE Soul Stone.

Am I the only one extremely worried about this being called an ABYSS auction house? "No good can come of this", and all that?

Olinser
2014-03-13, 08:07 AM
Am I the only one extremely worried about this being called an ABYSS auction house? "No good can come of this", and all that?

Probably.

Sun-Il and several other people call it the Abyss. Right now, it's just a name.

Olinser
2014-03-13, 10:19 AM
Raws are out. Not a whole lot happening

The entire chapter is just Jee-Han talking to Sun-Il about the Auction House and the Abyss in general.

Gez
2014-03-13, 11:06 AM
I'm just keeping in mind that it's an unofficial amateur translation and that some of the noun choices have already felt a bit strange in the past.

Since personally I know absolutely nothing of the Korean language, my linguistic knowledge being limited to a few Romance and Germanic languages using the Latin alphabet, I gratefully go with what I'm given, but I'm not putting too much significance to the names chosen for various things.

Lamech
2014-03-13, 11:59 AM
Raws are out. Not a whole lot happening

The entire chapter is just Jee-Han talking to Sun-Il about the Auction House and the Abyss in general.

But its a very epic discussion. Also I think they can steal Jee-Han's power and/or life. But the auction girl seemed so nice.

Ibrinar
2014-03-13, 12:13 PM
Does the auction guy really look feminine to you all? A single panel at the beginning aside I don't really see where that is coming from.

lunar2
2014-03-13, 04:47 PM
Does the auction guy really look feminine to you all? A single panel at the beginning aside I don't really see where that is coming from.

nope. broad shoulders, narrow hips. even the face looks closer to masculine than feminine. if that's not a man, i call bull.

Lamech
2014-03-13, 06:24 PM
The face is the only real thing.

Aquillion
2014-03-13, 06:59 PM
I'm just keeping in mind that it's an unofficial amateur translation and that some of the noun choices have already felt a bit strange in the past.

Since personally I know absolutely nothing of the Korean language, my linguistic knowledge being limited to a few Romance and Germanic languages using the Latin alphabet, I gratefully go with what I'm given, but I'm not putting too much significance to the names chosen for various things.No, we know it's definitely called "abyss", because the 'Abyss' that his friend referred to is apparently named after the auction house, and he looked that word up in English (http://www.batoto.net/read/_/204131/the-gamer_v1_ch9_by_bap-scans) (see the raw (http://comic.naver.com/webtoon/detail.nhn?titleId=552960&no=9&weekday=fri) version to be sure). Based on that, I assume that in the original Korean version, the Abyss is named using the English word 'Abyss' spelled out phonetically (hence why he had to look it up.)

Now that we know that the abyss is named for the Abyss Auction House, we can guess why "the Abyss" has an English name -- the 'Abyss Auction House' is probably based in an English-language nation (presumably America.)

Olinser
2014-03-17, 09:30 AM
Translated chapter up.

I'm starting to get a little bit suspicious of Sun-Il and the Chubumoon.

He seems to be in a habit of withholding important information from Jee-Han until Jee-Han directly asks about something.

Thrawn183
2014-03-17, 12:44 PM
Translated chapter up.

He seems to be in a habit of withholding important information from Jee-Han until Jee-Han directly asks about something.

Well, there is definitely a limit to how much exposition you want to dump on the audience.

Nightsbridge
2014-03-17, 06:54 PM
Translated chapter up.

Maybe. I think it's more an issue of . . . why tell my friend who might not even involve himself in the Abyss things that could get him in trouble? He could die, actually die.

Lamech
2014-03-17, 09:14 PM
Hmm... I actually think he might be safer at his house. Especially if our theory about his mom being the Bus that Runs Over Those Who Unveil the Abyss is right.

The good thing about people being farmed for energy is it sets up a good reason to have rescue missions!

Olinser
2014-03-17, 10:17 PM
Maybe. I think it's more an issue of . . . why tell my friend who might not even involve himself in the Abyss things that could get him in trouble? He could die, actually die.

Multiple people of questionable character are aware that he is an ability user - Red Hair (though she seems more dumb than malicious), Black Summoner + daughter, Auction House Dude.

Also, since the auction house guy appears to have been informed by somebody else with sensory powers, who KNOWS how many people may know about him.

At this point not being involved in the Abyss is simply not an option anymore.

Withholding information about the Abyss from him because Sun-Il doesn't want him to become involved is just dumb. If Jee-Han doesn't know what he's doing or who the major players are, the chances he's going to unknowingly blunder into a bad situation with somebody powerful are very high.

Thrawn183
2014-03-17, 10:56 PM
Withholding information about the Abyss from him because Sun-Il doesn't want him to become involved is just dumb. If Jee-Han doesn't know what he's doing or who the major players are, the chances he's going to unknowingly blunder into a bad situation with somebody powerful are very high.

While I agree with you in general, it would be interesting if there was a detection type ability user that could only detect what people are trying to hide and so the way to counter him is to just not tell anyone about him.

Aquillion
2014-03-18, 01:57 AM
Multiple people of questionable character are aware that he is an ability user - Red Hair (though she seems more dumb than malicious), Black Summoner + daughter, Auction House Dude.

Also, since the auction house guy appears to have been informed by somebody else with sensory powers, who KNOWS how many people may know about him.

At this point not being involved in the Abyss is simply not an option anymore.

Withholding information about the Abyss from him because Sun-Il doesn't want him to become involved is just dumb. If Jee-Han doesn't know what he's doing or who the major players are, the chances he's going to unknowingly blunder into a bad situation with somebody powerful are very high.The Auction House Guy only just appeared, though. The others, by comparison, seem like they're manageable dangers -- Sun-Il clearly thinks that the Black Summoner isn't going to be a problem now that the elders are involved, and they have an understanding with the entire Soul Blaze Fist school. Up until today, it was at least feasible that Jee-Han could still back out of the world of the Abyss. Now it isn't.

(Which reminds me -- in theory, Soul Blaze Fist is an entire organization, but we've only seen that one girl so far. I wonder when we're going to see more about them?)

Olinser
2014-03-18, 09:03 AM
The Auction House Guy only just appeared, though. The others, by comparison, seem like they're manageable dangers -- Sun-Il clearly thinks that the Black Summoner isn't going to be a problem now that the elders are involved, and they have an understanding with the entire Soul Blaze Fist school. Up until today, it was at least feasible that Jee-Han could still back out of the world of the Abyss. Now it isn't.

(Which reminds me -- in theory, Soul Blaze Fist is an entire organization, but we've only seen that one girl so far. I wonder when we're going to see more about them?)

Probably soon.

She appears to be a pretty big hothead, and appears to be getting progressively more pissed of at Black Summoner and daughter. I give it about another 3-5 chapters before she attacks somebody.

In fact, I think at this point the most likely way forward for the next few chapters is that Jee-Han trains up for a chapter or two, remembers 'oh snap I have a big soul stone I should go help the girl', and Red Hair sees him do it.

Que his first official PvP fight with Red Hair, which Sun-Il may or may not appear for, but after the fight Sun-Il gives him the lowdown on the Soul Blaze Fist users.

Lamech
2014-03-18, 10:50 AM
Indeed, Jee-Han wants to heal the girl and he has a large soulstone to do it. They are gonna talk and she's gonna get healed. Redhead will almost certainly get angry and attack.

Flickerdart
2014-03-18, 11:35 AM
Helping the Black Summoner might not be such a good plan - he seems opposed to Soul Blaze Fist and not on hugely friendly terms with Chubumoon, and has no allies of his own that we know of. Given his demeanor it's very likely that he's made other enemies, who would be all too happy to interfere with someone who's helping the Summoner.

We also don't know how the girl got Black Demon's Invasion. If there is a group responsible for it (such as a cult of said black demon) they wouldn't be too happy about the exorcism.

lunar2
2014-03-18, 12:37 PM
on the other hand, the black summoner is, by far, the highest leveled character we've seen. the three character's whose levels are hidden may not be higher level than him, they may simply have an anti detection ability. it would actually make sense for the three of them to have such an ability, as well.

the auctioneer, who deals in information, would want to keep information about himself hidden, in order to aid his business.

the head of a clan would need to keep information about himself hidden in order to protect against assassins.

the mom, who apparently wants to stay out of abyss life, if possible, would need to be able to hide herself from ability users.

so i would theorize that the black summoner is at least close to the chunbumoon leader's level, based on his confidence in acting independently on his territory, without permission or even notification. the black summoner likely does have several enemies, as cocky as he is, but he also probably has the power to deal with most of those enemies.

Lamech
2014-03-18, 07:40 PM
Again, I think the level thing is a bit deceptive when it comes to someone's combat ability, for two reasons:
1) Even if someone had an ability identical to Jee-Han's someone who drilled their skills for 2 years, but only fought a handful of monsters, might be of a lower level than Jee-Han, but much, much stronger. Furthermore, I think that most people in the Abyss spend more time drilling skills than farming for xp.
2) Most people probably don't act like Jee-Han when it comes to gaining power since they lack the Gamer ability. He has his own unique ability. Somehow I doubt super-smart girl can fight like a level 10 Jee-Han.

On the Black Summoner specifically I think level might underestimates his power by a lot. He has monsters and crap. Its very possible they are NOT included in his level. He is a level 42 who has a bunch of allies, not a solo level 42.

Thrawn183
2014-03-18, 07:53 PM
Probably soon.

She appears to be a pretty big hothead, and appears to be getting progressively more pissed of at Black Summoner and daughter. I give it about another 3-5 chapters before she attacks somebody.

I don't know if I'd call her a hot head. In chapter two during the fight between her and Black Summoner he straight up says, "To prepare for what's about to happen... I just wanted to test your skills." If anything, she's just a victim here. It sounds to me like she was just doing whatever she normally does when BS decided to ruin her day.

I'd probably hold a grudge too. Heck, I know I would.

Aquillion
2014-03-20, 12:23 AM
Again, I think the level thing is a bit deceptive when it comes to someone's combat ability, for two reasons:
1) Even if someone had an ability identical to Jee-Han's someone who drilled their skills for 2 years, but only fought a handful of monsters, might be of a lower level than Jee-Han, but much, much stronger. Furthermore, I think that most people in the Abyss spend more time drilling skills than farming for xp.
2) Most people probably don't act like Jee-Han when it comes to gaining power since they lack the Gamer ability. He has his own unique ability. Somehow I doubt super-smart girl can fight like a level 10 Jee-Han.

On the Black Summoner specifically I think level might underestimates his power by a lot. He has monsters and crap. Its very possible they are NOT included in his level. He is a level 42 who has a bunch of allies, not a solo level 42.I'm not so sure. You're assuming that other people work according to game rules; but there's no reason to think they do. For most of them, there's no real difference between "skills" and "levels" -- they just have their capabilities and that's that.

I think Jee-Han's power just assigns them a rating based on those overall capabilities, which is generally accurate. It may miss some important subtleties, especially since not everything revolves around obvious RPG-style combat (eg. the super-smart girl's level probably accounts for capabilities that aren't so directly valuable in a fight), but I think the Black Summoner's level is probably roughly accurate and includes his potential summons -- after all, if it isn't based on that, what is it based on? That's what he does.

lord_khaine
2014-03-20, 08:34 AM
I think Jee-Han's power just assigns them a rating based on those overall capabilities, which is generally accurate. It may miss some important subtleties, especially since not everything revolves around obvious RPG-style combat (eg. the super-smart girl's level probably accounts for capabilities that aren't so directly valuable in a fight), but I think the Black Summoner's level is probably roughly accurate and includes his potential summons -- after all, if it isn't based on that, what is it based on? That's what he does.

This does make sense, i guess the biggest problem now is if the level growth is liniar or exponential?

Else.. i also came up with a theory for why there are ability users in the first place.
Because we are told Gaia first empowers them with superhuman skills, and then forces them to remain hidden on pain of death.
And if we then begins to considder what purpose they might hold in the world.. then the one that springs into my mind is "immune system"

lunar2
2014-03-20, 08:49 PM
i think level growth is less than linear. the legion zombie was level 30 something, but level 18 jee-han is easily soloing it. part of that is because it has a predictable attack pattern, but just the fact that he can even do significant damage to it, despite being around half its level, shows, to me, that stats grow much slower than level. unless undead are like in D&D, and have no con score to boost their HP, which is a possibility.

Olinser
2014-03-20, 10:20 PM
So, new raws out.

Interesting. What appears to be a witch and probably a... Berserker? Werewolf? make a contract with Black Summoner.

Jee-Han is fighting a ghost dude in the Chunbumoon training area that is level 26. Beats him pretty easily.

Olinser
2014-03-31, 08:53 AM
Well then, forums are back up and we have new raws out for the week.

RETURN OF TEAL HAIR VIOLENCE BALL!!!!

Gez
2014-03-31, 10:30 AM
Last update link: http://www.batoto.net/read/_/233809/the-gamer_v1_ch29_by_bap-scans

Thrawn183
2014-04-01, 12:16 PM
Well then, forums are back up and we have new raws out for the week.

RETURN OF TEAL HAIR VIOLENCE BALL!!!!

This can only signal good things.

Lamech
2014-04-01, 01:40 PM
Translations out.

Ibrinar
2014-04-01, 05:19 PM
Man mana manipulation is damn versatile. He can just make a controllable rope on the fly. He should just attach several off them to his back and fight like Doctor Octopus.
He should try lifting himself up with mana.

Lamech
2014-04-01, 07:36 PM
I would try to create some sort of whirling doom field. Get closed and get sliced to pieces. Also I would try and combine skills like he did with the spinning and the arrows. For example, combine spinning arrow and fool's dance. Confusing AND Death.

Hamste
2014-04-01, 07:58 PM
I would try to create some sort of whirling doom field. Get closed and get sliced to pieces. Also I would try and combine skills like he did with the spinning and the arrows. For example, combine spinning arrow and fool's dance. Confusing AND Death.

or the rope and the arrow. It would be like a grappling hook but made entirely of mana

Math_Mage
2014-04-02, 04:51 PM
I get the feeling any strong enemy would just batter through the 'doom field', and more easily than they'd batter through the mana shield at that. No, the best defense for a non-tank is to not get caught unawares and not get hit. Mobility and CC are critical to the latter. The former is a matter of passive detection, which may or may not be tied to Observe.

Lamech
2014-04-02, 05:53 PM
Really he should be layering defense upon defense. Physical Endurance+Mana Shield+Enchanted Clothing+Whirling Death Field+Life Drain Aura. It doesn't take that long to get non-trivial level in a skill. Physical Endurance is particularly useful due to its passive nature. And he should probably try for similar skills.

Dragoa
2014-04-02, 06:30 PM
Really he should be layering defense upon defense. Physical Endurance+Mana Shield+Enchanted Clothing+Whirling Death Field+Life Drain Aura. It doesn't take that long to get non-trivial level in a skill. Physical Endurance is particularly useful due to its passive nature. And he should probably try for similar skills.

Ya, I could see there being a similar skill for Aura resistance or something that he'd get if someone(or maybe even himself) would attack him with an aura energy skill. Seems like that would be incredibly useful.

Flickerdart
2014-04-02, 07:58 PM
Is it possible to stack time-stretching dungeons inside of one another to train even faster? I wonder....

Olinser
2014-04-03, 10:39 AM
New raws out.

Sae-Young has had a major power increase since her last appearance, she is now level 39.

She seems to be flirting with him. Clearly she intends to use his superior genetic code to breed an army of super-babies.

She takes him to the training area and he practices his new CC on one of those Ogres, using the mana rope to bind him up and cause him to fall down.. It doesn't last very long, the Ogre breaks it pretty easily, but it does put him on the ground for a few seconds at least. It ought to be pretty easy to level, bind them, they break it, bind them again, Jee-Han probably wouldn't even need to move while he empties his entire mana bar on one enemy.

When he kills the ogre a huge mallet is left over. Sae-Young picks it up and it appears as though she's challenging Jee-Han to a fight. This could get interesting.

Lamech
2014-04-03, 03:58 PM
I think he got a real CC spell on his second try with the rope. Also he killed the Ogre in one volley anyway. He can probably clear this area pretty easy, and bootstrap himself to a much higher level. Also this seems to be a bigger training area than before, with swarms of ogres.

Lamech
2014-04-08, 11:59 AM
Translations are up.

Flickerdart
2014-04-08, 12:29 PM
It looks like people who aren't important level up a lot more quickly because they can spend all their time training. Also, Jee-han is about to score big, which makes me wonder if he's going to head over to the Auction and try to buy things. After all, what kind of gamer goes this long without hitting the shops for new gear?

Olinser
2014-04-08, 02:00 PM
It looks like people who aren't important level up a lot more quickly because they can spend all their time training. Also, Jee-han is about to score big, which makes me wonder if he's going to head over to the Auction and try to buy things. After all, what kind of gamer goes this long without hitting the shops for new gear?

More like, "People preparing for a major conflict level up faster".

Something is definitely brewing with the Chunbumoon. I'm guessing Sae-Young and Sun-Il's rapid leveling is due to them training for an upcoming fight, rather than just in general.

lunar2
2014-04-08, 08:31 PM
so jee-han just made nearly $1,000, assuming chunbumoon pays full price for the hammer. not bad for 30 seconds worth of work. he really should check out the auction, though, and see if they have any Int based weapons. as much as he may want to avoid it, he needs some way to defend himself from within melee range. also, what level does anyone thing the legion ogre, if one spawns, is going to be?

Olinser
2014-04-09, 08:41 AM
so jee-han just made nearly $1,000, assuming chunbumoon pays full price for the hammer. not bad for 30 seconds worth of work. he really should check out the auction, though, and see if they have any Int based weapons. as much as he may want to avoid it, he needs some way to defend himself from within melee range. also, what level does anyone thing the legion ogre, if one spawns, is going to be?

There isn't going to be a 'legion ogre', that was something unique to zombies.

A boss ogre is probably going to be something like 'Enraged Ogre' (last ogre standing becomes enraged, takes less damage, does more damage, gets faster, and is immune to CC) or 'Ogre Boss/Lord'.

Olinser
2014-04-10, 11:19 AM
New raws out.

Looks like Jee-Han got paid by Chubumoon for the mallet. He suddenly decides to withdraw 1 million Won ($1,000) and just pulls a wad of cash out of thin air.

He deposits it in a bank, then notices Black Summoner's daughter in an alley. She wants to pet a kitten, but it looks like the Freezing effect is back. Jee-Han pulls a soulstone out and heals it so she can pet the kitten. No, I am not joking.

Then 2 shadowy dudes show up. Looks like they either are hunting Jee-Han or the daughter, not really clear which.

If they do start fighting, this will mark Jee-Han's first official fight against a denizen of the Abyss, not just a monster spawned from an illusion barrier.

lunar2
2014-04-17, 07:31 PM
translations up.

so, her curse can harm those she touches, as well. if she could somehow boost her vitality enough to survive the curse at full force, she could weaponize that.

Aquillion
2014-04-17, 08:18 PM
There's a speed-translator working on it too. Obviously their translations are not as good, but they are fast; they've already translated the next chapter (http://mangajoy.com/The-Gamer/33/).

Holy **** her description of what will happen to her is dark. I guess having a demon's invasion and a demonic attribute gives you a somewhat nasty view of the world.

My theory: She's capable of taking these two guys, but doesn't want to use her powers in front of him, either because they're horrifying or because they'd endanger him. Perhaps she also thinks that he doesn't have what it takes to kill people, which would make him a liability in a fight despite his powers... especially if her own powers are only useful for killing.

Olinser
2014-04-17, 11:14 PM
There's a speed-translator working on it too. Obviously their translations are not as good, but they are fast; they've already translated the next chapter (http://mangajoy.com/The-Gamer/33/).

Holy **** her description of what will happen to her is dark. I guess having a demon's invasion and a demonic attribute gives you a somewhat nasty view of the world.

My theory: She's capable of taking these two guys, but doesn't want to use her powers in front of him, either because they're horrifying or because they'd endanger him. Perhaps she also thinks that he doesn't have what it takes to kill people, which would make him a liability in a fight despite his powers... especially if her own powers are only useful for killing.

I kind of doubt that.

Remember, she is only low teens in level. The guy in armor blocked multiple level 12 Spinning Mana Arrows from a low-20's level Jee-Han without even being injured. I seriously doubt she can do anything meaningful in a fight other than scream for Daddy (which, given that he can apparently teleport, might actually be very effective).

Math_Mage
2014-04-19, 08:48 PM
I kind of doubt that.

Remember, she is only low teens in level. The guy in armor blocked multiple level 12 Spinning Mana Arrows from a low-20's level Jee-Han without even being injured. I seriously doubt she can do anything meaningful in a fight other than scream for Daddy (which, given that he can apparently teleport, might actually be very effective).
I'm assuming Aquillion is talking about some sort of godmode related to the Black Demon. But I don't buy it either.

Olinser
2014-04-20, 12:03 AM
I'm assuming Aquillion is talking about some sort of godmode related to the Black Demon. But I don't buy it either.

Right now I'm operating under the assumption that the Black Demon Invasion sickness is acting like a killspawn debuff. As in, if somebody dies with it on them, they spawn a demon. But they're still dead.

Olinser
2014-04-20, 10:41 PM
Also, I read the translation you're speaking of. She doesn't even come close to implying that she can beat them herself. She simply doesn't care if they catch her or not.

lunar2
2014-04-20, 11:15 PM
Right now I'm operating under the assumption that the Black Demon Invasion sickness is acting like a killspawn debuff. As in, if somebody dies with it on them, they spawn a demon. But they're still dead.

with all the different types of abilities out there, do you think anyone has a raise dead ability? because all they have to do is write down some instructions, and jee han can learn it. and he has around $20,000 by now to buy a copy of a book that a normal person may not even be able to learn the ability from, depending on how vaguely it's written.

which reminds me. he seriously needs to figure out what level of detail is required for a book to become a skill book. is merely describing the technique enough, or does the book actually have to be step by step instructions on how to use the technique, or would something between the two extremes work?

Gez
2014-04-21, 06:38 AM
Love the huge noses on the foreign guys.

Olinser
2014-04-21, 09:44 AM
with all the different types of abilities out there, do you think anyone has a raise dead ability? because all they have to do is write down some instructions, and jee han can learn it. and he has around $20,000 by now to buy a copy of a book that a normal person may not even be able to learn the ability from, depending on how vaguely it's written.

which reminds me. he seriously needs to figure out what level of detail is required for a book to become a skill book. is merely describing the technique enough, or does the book actually have to be step by step instructions on how to use the technique, or would something between the two extremes work?

I don't know, even if he could do it, actually raising somebody from the dead seems like it would be in the top 3 things Jee-Han could do to bring the wrath of Gaia down on him.

Olinser
2014-04-21, 11:08 AM
On another note, the original group doing the translations (Bapscans) has now fragmented. Apparently a group of guys that left will continue to translate the Gamer, but we'll have to see how this affects the already-slow release of translations.

lunar2
2014-04-21, 11:14 AM
i'm not worried about the pace. i put up with erfworld, after all. what i'm worried about is if the quality drops. i think it would be frustrating to deal with something like that speed translator that got linked.

as for raising the dead. as long as the muggles don't find out, gaia shouldn't care. raising the dead is less of a rules violation than creating valuable objects from thin air, and jee han already does that routinely. resurrection merely breaks the rules of human biology. creating something from nothing breaks the laws of physics themselves, and even changes the total mass of the universe.

Olinser
2014-04-21, 11:35 AM
i'm not worried about the pace. i put up with erfworld, after all. what i'm worried about is if the quality drops. i think it would be frustrating to deal with something like that speed translator that got linked.

as for raising the dead. as long as the muggles don't find out, gaia shouldn't care. raising the dead is less of a rules violation than creating valuable objects from thin air, and jee han already does that routinely. resurrection merely breaks the rules of human biology. creating something from nothing breaks the laws of physics themselves, and even changes the total mass of the universe.

Yes, I agree, that Flow translation was pretty poor. Also, the guy making the announcement that teh group was breaking up... to be blunt, he sounds like a huge **** and one of the major reasons the group broke up in the first place.

On the Gamer note... how is creating items in any possible way more disruptive than raising the dead? Creating items is just making some extra inert materials (heck Gaia may actually be pulling the materials from somewhere physical so they may not actually be created so much as transported - heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Jee-Han finds out that he was actually inadvertantly stealing from the Auction House the entire time).

Raising the dead, we're talking full on circle-of-life/afterlife-disrupting actions here. They're already dead, their soul has already passed on to whatever destination it is going to. Apparently the zombies in the illusion barriers were made from soul remnants. Raising somebody from the dead would jerk the soul back from wherever it is. We're talking major disruption here.

lunar2
2014-04-21, 12:41 PM
but unless i'm mistaken, gaia only cares if muggles notice the disruption. after all, there are people who literally burn their own souls for power, and as you pointed out, the illusion barriers themselves gather souls to form the monsters in them. i don't think messing with the natural order, even on a huge scale, is going to get you any punishment, so long as nobody finds out that shouldn't find out.

Olinser
2014-04-23, 04:23 PM
For those interested, the members that were translating The Gamer joined a new group, ONeoRA, which can be found at www.oneora.net.

No concrete word yet on when they will resume the translation, but hopefully soon.

Olinser
2014-04-24, 10:55 AM
New raws out.

The loli witch and wolfskin dude that Black Summoner had hired earlier show up and absolutely crush the 2 people chasing Jee-Han and the daughter. They chat a bit with Jee-Han, give him something (looks like a card like the Abyss Auction guy gave him), and then bounce.

And, while I notice that the author is very obviously avoiding letting us see the levels of either groups of 2, their relative levels still highlight how low on the Abyss power hierarchy Jee-Han really is at this point.

Jee-Han couldn't even injure one of them, and yet they were crushed by two guys that stated outright they couldn't handle an A-rank enemy (and were surprised that Black Summoner thought he could).

So if we assume the 2 of them are B-rank, that puts the 2 chasing Jee-Han at C or even D rank.

They certainly seemed to think Jee-Han was weak compared to them. Which puts Jee-Han probably another tier below THEM.

To sum up, it means that Jee-Han, even after his training and leveling, is most likely D rank right now, and at most low C-rank.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the 2 that were chasing them are low-mid 30 levels, and the loli/wolf combo are low high 30/low 40s.

They commented Black Summoner was weakened, so his initial level of 46 may not represent his full power. Most likely an A-rank is level 50+.

Math_Mage
2014-04-24, 03:47 PM
I only just noticed the Ferghus (http://wiki.mabinogiworld.com/view/Ferghus) shoutout (http://mangafox.me/manga/the_gamer/c015/14.html) in chapter 15. Hah.

Lamech
2014-04-25, 01:17 PM
Speed Translation (http://mangajoy.com/The-Gamer/34)
So it appears Jee-Han isn't very powerful (sans his super awesome healing powers) yet. Guess he is in for another round of training. Maybe he can add some spikes to his bindings or something. That seemed to work pretty well even if short lived.

Also it looks like all the action girls fall for him. Except the evil red-haired one.

Math_Mage
2014-04-26, 08:23 PM
So...'murder excluder', huh?