PDA

View Full Version : Strength Based Brawler?

Gwazi Magnum
2013-11-25, 10:37 PM
Basically, idea's/suggestions to making an unarmed brawling character whose not a Monk.

This isn't Optimize Advice so much as just trying to find what would work.
I'm trying not to Optimize/power play too much here, but this concept is something I honestly have trouble finding the right classes/feats to even make the concept for.

However there are a few ground rules

1. It's Strength Dependent. The true power behind it needs to come from being very strong. Not from something like high weapon dice or something like shadow blade.

2. No charging/jumping. I'd love advice to increase a jump skill since I want insane jumping to be a character aspect. But I don't want this to be something where combat relies on jumping or charging. So if he were in a closed off pit, or the middle of a room he could fight as well as if he could if he jumped from above or charged from a field away.

3. Some Improvised weapon features would be nice.
Unarmed combat is the main source of damage, but I'd like something allowing him to pick up something like boulders, halflings, anything (or anyone) around that could be thrown as a projectile for times where something is out of his reach.

4. Main idea with the high strength is be capable of things like lifting and throwing really heavy things, and doing stuff like kicking down castle walls. Stuff that helps with lifting/carrying and breaking metal/stone would also be appreciated.

Gavinfoxx
2013-11-25, 11:25 PM
1.) Be a Barbarian
2.) Take Whirling Frenzy (System Resource Document or Unearthed Arcana) or Ferocity (Cityscape Web Enhancement)
3.) Take Spirit Lion Totem (Complete Champion)
4.) Take Wolf Totem (System Resource Document or Unearthed Arcana)
5.) Take Skilled City Dweller-ride for tumble (Cityscape Web Enhancement)
6.) Take City Brawler (Dragon Magazine #349)
7.) Take Streetfighter (Cityscape Web Enhancement)
8.) Get the feat Superior Unarmed Strike (Tome of Battle)
9.) Get a Monk's Belt (Dungeon Master's Guide or System Resource Document. Before you get access to this, just wear light armor like normal.)
10.) Get a Necklace of Natural attacks (Savage Species, this lets you enchant unarmed strike with things beyond +#'s; very useful! You can get the smoking property to get a miss chance on your body, for example, or magebane or sure-striking!)
11.) Get a Fanged Ring (Dragon Magic)
12.) Take Snap Kick (Tome of Battle)
13.) Take mobility skill tricks of various sorts, especially to do with charging (Complete Scoundrel)
14.) You now have a fantastic and brutal, hard style martial artist!

Gwazi Magnum
2013-11-25, 11:30 PM
1.) Be a Barbarian
2.) Take Whirling Frenzy (System Resource Document or Unearthed Arcana) or Ferocity (Cityscape Web Enhancement)
3.) Take Spirit Lion Totem (Complete Champion)
4.) Take Wolf Totem (System Resource Document or Unearthed Arcana)
5.) Take Skilled City Dweller-ride for tumble (Cityscape Web Enhancement)
6.) Take City Brawler (Dragon Magazine #349)
7.) Take Streetfighter (Cityscape Web Enhancement)
8.) Get the feat Superior Unarmed Strike (Tome of Battle)
9.) Get a Monk's Belt (Dungeon Master's Guide or System Resource Document. Before you get access to this, just wear light armor like normal.)
10.) Get a Necklace of Natural attacks (Savage Species, this lets you enchant unarmed strike with things beyond +#'s; very useful! You can get the smoking property to get a miss chance on your body, for example, or magebane or sure-striking!)
11.) Get a Fanged Ring (Dragon Magic)
12.) Take Snap Kick (Tome of Battle)
13.) Take mobility skill tricks of various sorts, especially to do with charging (Complete Scoundrel)
14.) You now have a fantastic and brutal, hard style martial artist!

It usually helps me personally when people tell me how and why the feats and such do work though.

Plus, I noticed a few charge things there like Lion Totem which I have to ask why.
I get it's generally powerful, but I'm trying to make someone who doesn't need to charge to be effective.

Metahuman1
2013-11-26, 12:08 AM
Lion Totem doesn't force you to charge. It just means that the first couple of rounds aren't nearly as crippling when you really wanna charge so you can get close enough to attack things, but doing so would normally make you miss attacks which unfairly cuts your damage output.

Then once your close enough you just use trips, grapples, full attacks and such as normal.

Cog
2013-11-26, 12:32 AM
Between items 1 and 3, you're basically describing a War Hulk / Hulking Hurler character. Take a Large race of your choice, take some melee class levels until you've got the prereqs, and then take those two PrCs in combination. War Hulk boosts your strength by 2 every level and gives you sweeping attacks, while Hulking Hurler lets you chuck stuff around. If you really need most of your damage to come from your Strength mod instead of e.g. Power Attack, it's basically this.

There is one alternative, though you aren't likely to like it: there's a disease in Book of Vile Darkness that gives you +2 strength every day, stacking, at the cost of ability score damage. Heal the damage with Binder as your class or with Restoration spells and soon you'll have more Strength than you know what to do with.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-11-27, 12:35 AM
Also forgot to ask.

Do you know where I can find stats for using stuff such as a wagon as a weapon?

Between items 1 and 3, you're basically describing a War Hulk / Hulking Hurler character. Take a Large race of your choice, take some melee class levels until you've got the prereqs, and then take those two PrCs in combination. War Hulk boosts your strength by 2 every level and gives you sweeping attacks, while Hulking Hurler lets you chuck stuff around. If you really need most of your damage to come from your Strength mod instead of e.g. Power Attack, it's basically this.

There is one alternative, though you aren't likely to like it: there's a disease in Book of Vile Darkness that gives you +2 strength every day, stacking, at the cost of ability score damage. Heal the damage with Binder as your class or with Restoration spells and soon you'll have more Strength than you know what to do with.

I figured these would pop up.
I'll probably go for them. I just wondering if there were also alternatives to high strength or improvised throwing.