PDA

View Full Version : How to become the Lord of Rage: N. Jolly's guide to the Pathfinder Barbarian

N. Jolly
2013-11-26, 12:42 AM
Sup all, time for my second guide, which is still a WIP. Unlike the last one I did here, I learned a few lessons (such as post have character limits), so I decided to do this one as a google doc so that I could more easily modify it.

How to become the Lord of Rage: N. Jolly's guide to the Pathfinder Barbarian (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1plVgdYb5KYxtXiysgd_pzdK-37PCmz2u9VzpuvNPDdo/edit?usp=sharing)

I'll admit I put it over on Paizo first since I wasn't as complete then, and I know they have less harsh critiques than those over here (mostly to having lower build standards and such), but I'm hoping this guide can help others as much as my Alchemist guide did.

While it's still not complete, it's a crapload more complete than my Alchemist guide was when I first posted it, so I'm hoping to get critique and such on it over here to make it the best guide it can be.

magotter
2013-11-26, 07:07 AM
Quite a fantastic guide, and great attention to detail, as always. I didn't even know skinwalkers were a thing, and now I'mma go make me a nice Ragebred Natural Attack / Blender hybrid. The Traits section was nicely in-depth, too. Any consideration to going through the Drawbacks as well?

No less, I'm actually a bit surprised you rated Alchemsit multiclassing as green instead of blue. It'd seem to me that either Alch 2 / Barb 18 or Barb 2 / Alch 18 would make for a good tank or hyde combo, respectively.

Keep up the great work!

N. Jolly
2013-11-26, 05:38 PM
Quite a fantastic guide, and great attention to detail, as always. I didn't even know skinwalkers were a thing, and now I'mma go make me a nice Ragebred Natural Attack / Blender hybrid. The Traits section was nicely in-depth, too. Any consideration to going through the Drawbacks as well?

No less, I'm actually a bit surprised you rated Alchemsit multiclassing as green instead of blue. It'd seem to me that either Alch 2 / Barb 18 or Barb 2 / Alch 18 would make for a good tank or hyde combo, respectively.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks, always glad to turn people onto new things.

I might actually change Alchemist to Blue, I was on the fence about it, but it really is a solid combination, especially for a Vivisectionist to pick up a die of sneak attack.

N. Jolly
2013-12-23, 05:05 PM
I'm kind of shocked this guide hasn't gotten more attention, since I feel it's just as good as my Alchemist guide.

Eldonauran
2013-12-23, 07:59 PM
I'm kind of shocked this guide hasn't gotten more attention, since I feel it's just as good as my Alchemist guide.

I'm quite enjoying it, to be honest. Taught me a few new things. Especially the Aasimar Monk/Barbarian (Enlightened Warrior) ... I will be using that soon.

N. Jolly
2014-01-15, 07:16 PM
Geez, too long since I've gotten back to this, but rings are now up, slowly working through belts.

Sayt
2014-01-15, 10:18 PM
I kinda disagree with your assessment of Exotic Weapon Proficiency. The only weapon I'd really ever consider taking it for is the Falcata (Or getting given a weapon artefact which your non-proficient with), nothing else is really worth spending a feat on Furious Focus, though perhaps it's better on Fighter where you just don't have strength as high buffing your to hit rolls.

Also, if you're using the retraining rules, I'd definitely take Furious Focus at early/mid game, and then retrain it to weapon focus later. But Furious Focus also has the benefit of ensuring that the to hit penalty isn't an obstacle to at least one of your attacks.

But overall, an excellent guide!

EDIT: pathfinder recently published the Mind Buttressing magic armour quality in Magical Marketplaces (not in the SRD yet, it seems) , which gives a +2 resistance bonus (big whoop), but gives immunity to possession and exterior mental control (Such as command, charm and dominate). And while Barbarians do get a bonus to will saves, it ain't immunity.

N. Jolly
2014-02-08, 08:00 AM
I kinda disagree with your assessment of Exotic Weapon Proficiency. The only weapon I'd really ever consider taking it for is the Falcata (Or getting given a weapon artifact which your non-proficient with), nothing else is really worth spending a feat on Furious Focus, though perhaps it's better on Fighter where you just don't have strength as high buffing your to hit rolls.

Also, if you're using the retraining rules, I'd definitely take Furious Focus at early/mid game, and then retrain it to weapon focus later. But Furious Focus also has the benefit of ensuring that the to hit penalty isn't an obstacle to at least one of your attacks.

But overall, an excellent guide!

EDIT: pathfinder recently published the Mind Buttressing magic armour quality in Magical Marketplaces (not in the SRD yet, it seems) , which gives a +2 resistance bonus (big whoop), but gives immunity to possession and exterior mental control (Such as command, charm and dominate). And while Barbarians do get a bonus to will saves, it ain't immunity.

I really do like the Falcata, but the Fauchard is pretty insane too. Also I won't make a guide in which I don't mention the Battle Ladder, which is by far the most broken weapon in the game.

I don't really feel like Furious Focus has a great sweet spot, as it's just an attack bonus on one attack, and I have better uses for my feats, like DR. I suppose it could be useful to straight DPR machines, but that'd require retraining to validate taking it, and while I love it, it's a variant rule that I don't want to have to make use of in my guide (or at least to assume it)

As for the Magic Butt, it's okay, I do feel the immunity is pretty hardcore (kind of like old school Mind Blank), and it might be worth mentioning.

The guide isn't dead folks, just trudged through a few more categories of magical items, but got caught up in other stuff before I could get that far. Still, after them and Sample Builds I'm officially done, which is when I'll be starting my next guide (probably Gunslinger, DMC themed)

Sayt
2014-02-08, 08:30 AM
Two more things: PF has put out a feet called Charge of the Hieracosphinx, which gives you double str mod to damage on 2h weapons while you charge, (requiring bab +6), which seems like it might be shiny for a twohander Barb.

Also, There are two, ugh, teamwork feats I'd consider on a barbarian, with some co-ordination with the rest of the party, Outflank, and Coordinated Charge.

Outflank I like not just because of the higher flanking bonus, but because if you and your melee friend have critty weapons you can generate a fair few extra attacks, which is quite fun.

Coordinated charge I also like, late-gameish though it is, means that only one one of the parties melee combatants needs to actually use their turn getting into beatface range.

The obvious downside of teamwork feats being that you actually need to have another melee combatant to even consider them, but they might at least be worth rating.

FabulousChester
2017-09-04, 04:53 PM
Oh man, I really didn't want to super necro, but I had a question:

What's your thought and consideration for the Savage Technologist? (I can understand why it's not in the guide, but I was curious since I'm about to attempt one.)