PDA

View Full Version : Ordained Champion, Channel Spell and personal range

Studoku
2013-11-26, 04:41 AM
Ordained Champion's Channel Spell ability reads:

Channel Spell (Sp): At 3rd level, you can channel any spell you have available to cast into your melee weapon. Doing so requires a move action and uses up a prepared spell or spell slot just as if you had cast the spell. The channeled spell affects the next target you successfully attack with that weapon, though saving throws and spell resistance still apply normally. Even if the spell normally affects an area or is a ray, it still affects only the target in this case. On a successful hit, the spell is discharged from the weapon, which can then hold another spell. You can channel your spells into only one weapon at a time. A spell channeled into a weapon is lost if not used within 8 hours.
Since there's no restriction on what can be channeled, is it possible to channel, for example, Divine Power, into a whip and buff my ally by whipping them?

Gwendol
2013-11-26, 05:47 AM
Yes, that seems to be the case.

Deox
2013-11-26, 06:23 AM
Yes, it's legal to do such.

Aracor
2013-11-26, 11:04 AM
I'm not sure I agree. It explicitly calls out what to do about spells that are rays or area, but there's nothing in there about how to target a personal range spell. So it might fizzle, it might hit your target, or it might hit you. I'd say ask your DM.

Deox
2013-11-26, 01:40 PM
I'm not sure I agree. It explicitly calls out what to do about spells that are rays or area, but there's nothing in there about how to target a personal range spell. So it might fizzle, it might hit your target, or it might hit you. I'd say ask your DM.

It's stating the ray is part of the attack and if an AoE, the area isn't affected, only the target. The only limitation one has with this ability is the 8 hour duration.