PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Divine False Focus Alternative

weckar
2013-11-26, 05:31 AM
Hi. I was wondering if there is a Divine alternative to the arcane-based magic feat 'False Focus'? It could save a lot of money in the long run never having to supply materials less than 100GP!

Keneth
2013-11-26, 09:36 AM
Not that I know of. Unless you're planning on selling holy water, which you could then make for free, I don't really see the appeal.

You could take a level in an arcane spell casting class, or research a divine version of blood money.

weckar
2013-11-26, 10:15 AM
The appeal is in divinations, mostly, that tend to require 25GP per casting. It adds up.

Keneth
2013-11-26, 11:12 AM
That's more or less only true for augury and divination, and those are situational at best. Unless you have them as domain spells, or your GM is extremely generous with information, you really shouldn't be wasting spell slots on those. :smallbiggrin:

Slipperychicken
2013-11-26, 01:00 PM
Hi. I was wondering if there is a Divine alternative to the arcane-based magic feat 'False Focus'? It could save a lot of money in the long run never having to supply materials less than 100GP!

By RAW, it looks like it works for divine spells too. Just find some way to cast arcane spells and you should qualify.

weckar
2013-11-26, 01:57 PM
Aye, That is a good point. So, very technically, having a rank in UMD could do that :D

Don't think my DM will go for that, though.

And Keneth: it's in the game; it's worth using.

Keneth
2013-11-26, 02:17 PM
So, very technically, having a rank in UMD could do that :D

Using spell-trigger or spell-completion devices does not count as being able to cast a spell. Magical items merely replicate spell effects.

Spell-like abilities don't qualify you either. Spell-like abilities are not spells.

I actually can't think of any way to gain arcane spellcasting without taking a level in an arcane spellcasting class, as mentioned in my first post.

Also, not everything in the game is worth using. Some choices actually make you worse off. :smalltongue:

weckar
2013-11-26, 02:21 PM
Hmmmm could the Two-World Magic trait do this? In a way, it's a little vague on whether the spell maintains type...

Keneth
2013-11-26, 02:22 PM
Nope, it's added to your spell list, making the spell divine.

Ilorin Lorati
2013-11-26, 02:25 PM
Using spell-trigger or spell-completion devices does not count as being able to cast a spell. Magical items merely replicate spell effects.

Spell-like abilities don't qualify you either. Spell-like abilities are not spells.

The official PF ruling is that racial SLAs count as arcane spells if they exist on any arcane spell list, and divine spells if they only exist on divine spell lists.

This opens them up to Prestige Classes and feats. For example, a rogue with Minor Magic can take Arcane Strike, and an Aasimar with Daylight can use it as a third level arcane spell for prereqs (this has mostly been used to open up Mystic Theurge early)

http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9qow

The only thing they don't count for is having them on a spell list, so you were right about trigger/completion items.

Keneth
2013-11-26, 03:03 PM
That argument is hardly resolved, and there is some pretty big stretching of the RAW involved to get to the point where having a spell-like ability qualifies you for "ability to cast arcane spells".

Until they clarify the issue fully in a FAQ, that's not RAW, it's just SKR's intent.

Ilorin Lorati
2013-11-26, 03:57 PM
That argument is hardly resolved, and there is some pretty big stretching of the RAW involved to get to the point where having a spell-like ability qualifies you for "ability to cast arcane spells".

Until they clarify the issue fully in a FAQ, that's not RAW, it's just SKR's intent.

I literally just linked the FAQ item that explicitly states it.

Does a creature with a spell-like ability count as being able to cast that spell for the purpose of prerequisites or requirements?
Yes.

Spell-Like Abilities: How do I know whether a spell-like ability is arcane or divine?
The universal monster rules for spell-like abilities states: "Some spell-like abilities duplicate spells that work differently when cast by characters of different classes. A monster's spell-like abilities are presumed to be the sorcerer/wizard versions. If the spell in question is not a sorcerer/wizard spell, then default to cleric, druid, bard, paladin, and ranger, in that order."

For spell-like abilities gained from a creature's race or type (including PC races), the same rule should apply: the creature's spell-like abilities are presumed to be the sorcerer/wizard versions. If the spell in question is not a sorcerer/wizard spell, then default to cleric, druid, bard, paladin, and ranger, in that order.

I don't know how you can possibly get more explicit than that.