PDA

View Full Version : PrC for a Fighting Cleric

shaka gl
2007-01-12, 11:40 PM
So, the party i run is losing his tank for a while (damm holidays) and the cleric just reached 6th lvl today, so he was thinking on entering a PrC. I always try to create the PrCs myself with the player, basically cause i think most offical ones suck, but i still base the classes on existing ones. So, which PrCs would you recomend for a Cleric of Tyr?

EDIT: PrCs created by you are also accepted (this since i see the Homebrew sub-forum is quite big)

Cybren
2007-01-12, 11:49 PM
uhhh
more cleric

Ramza00
2007-01-13, 12:11 AM
Anything that has full caster progression, it is simple as that due to divine power.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-01-13, 12:18 AM
They call the fighting cleric a paladin :)

Hario
2007-01-13, 12:46 AM
I'd suggest twinking Eldritch Knight so it has a cleric gain full caster and full BAB though this is (VERY POWERFUL) or give some homebrew BAB like 4/5ths

This is the best suggestion I can give seeing as clerics are teh brok3n when it comes to fighting, which they are generally better than a fighter and paladin combined at fighting. Just show him a few spells like righteous might and he won't need a PrC.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-13, 12:48 AM
Anything that has full caster progression, it is simple as that due to divine power.

Full caster progression AND full BAB progression! If you're going for Homebrew, you can do it.

Edit: Or yeah, something like Eldritch Knight.

The_Pope
2007-01-13, 12:49 AM
Simple. Warpriest. Full BAB, half-caster lprogression, haste 3/day, mass cure light wounds, mass heal, and some neat bonuses for the whole party. Complete Divine if you have it.

PinkysBrain
2007-01-13, 01:01 AM
The problem with the war priest is that it's just a lousy PrC. Waste of paper.

I'd recommend the Ruby Knight Vindicator from ToB.

Ramza00
2007-01-13, 01:11 AM
Simple. Warpriest. Full BAB, half-caster lprogression, haste 3/day, mass cure light wounds, mass heal, and some neat bonuses for the whole party. Complete Divine if you have it.

I rather play a prestige paladin thank you very much :smallwink:

Mewtarthio
2007-01-13, 01:15 AM
So, you want a class that can cast divine spells, heal, and hold its own in melee? I've got just the thing. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/cleric.htm)

Magnus_Samma
2007-01-13, 01:39 AM
If you want to focus on fighting, then pretty much any combat-oriented prestige class will do the trick, or just take a two-level dip of Fighter. Basically something that gets you feats or combat potential and full BAB. Warpriest is... mediocre, but the flavor is sort of fitting. There's a Heironeus-based prestige class that gives you full BAB and half spell progression and lets you add enchantments to your weapon, too, and it's ripe for homebrewed tinkering. Ruby Knight Vindicator is fun too, but you need levels in a martial adept class...

All things considered, the best way to beef up a Cleric is... to play a Cleric. :P With the right equipment and a dose of Bull's Strength, there's really nothing a Fighter can do that a Cleric can't do, and then cast divine spells on top of it. My advise is to not homebrew a PrC that gives you full BAB and Caster progression, because that's just taking a class that's already bent and snapping it right in half.

PinkysBrain
2007-01-13, 01:51 AM
Ruby Knight Vindicator is fun too, but you need levels in a martial adept class...Only 1 level.

Hario
2007-01-13, 04:51 AM
If you want to focus on fighting, then pretty much any combat-oriented prestige class will do the trick, or just take a two-level dip of Fighter. Basically something that gets you feats or combat potential and full BAB. Warpriest is... mediocre, but the flavor is sort of fitting. There's a Heironeus-based prestige class that gives you full BAB and half spell progression and lets you add enchantments to your weapon, too, and it's ripe for homebrewed tinkering. Ruby Knight Vindicator is fun too, but you need levels in a martial adept class...

All things considered, the best way to beef up a Cleric is... to play a Cleric. :P With the right equipment and a dose of Bull's Strength, there's really nothing a Fighter can do that a Cleric can't do, and then cast divine spells on top of it. My advise is to not homebrew a PrC that gives you full BAB and Caster progression, because that's just taking a class that's already bent and snapping it right in half.
I really don't see the problem with full caster full BAB, the cleric ALREADY has 3/4th BAB and full caster progression, if they PrC they lose turning benifits which is the only class skill. in a 10 level PrC they basically gain 2 BAB that they wouldn't normally have for taking a feat or a level in fighter for the martial proficiency, its really a trade off, sure you make out a little compared to staying in one class but its pretty equal if you ask me. If you want to see broken PrC for cleric look at divine radiant servant of Pelor then tell me why Eldritch knight is (more?) broken

Roderick_BR
2007-01-13, 04:52 AM
Warpriest is more a paladin PrC than a cleric one. Most "powers" he has are spells a hight level cleric can cast many times a day. Just pick a few levels in some fighting PrC, and continue as cleric. The majority of cleric's PrC's are based on his divine spellcasting, or turning undead abilities. Paladin's PrCs (with exception of Warpriest) pretty much suck. Better get a Fighter's PrC that doesn't require Weapon Specialization.

Matthew
2007-01-13, 07:40 AM
They call the fighting cleric a paladin :)

Nah, they call a Fighting Cleric a Cleric.

Bears With Lasers
2007-01-13, 07:41 AM
They call a fighting Cleric a CoDzilla.

Pegasos989
2007-01-13, 08:03 AM
7th level: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/divinePower.htm
9th level: Same as before but you can cast quickened http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/divineFavor.htm

Cleric does tanking very well without any PrCs.

clarkvalentine
2007-01-13, 10:44 AM
The Dragonlance sourcebook Holy Orders of the Stars has a PrC called the Righteous Cohort of Kiri-Jolith, which might work for you. It essentially turns you into the party's platoon sergeant - a perfect PrC for Durkon, actuially. Grants full BAB and progression, and allows you to grant your recognized captain bonuses to his social and leadership abilities.

Glyde
2007-01-13, 11:00 AM
More cleric, for sure.

codexgigas
2007-01-13, 11:31 AM
Yes, going straight cleric isn't bad, but you don't gain anything (except for level checks in turning, and I think we can all agree that divine feats are a better use of turning attempts than actually turning undead is). The Purifier of Hallowed Doctrine from Heroes of Horror might work; full BAB, 1/2 caster progression, a smite ability, and some nice other abilities. While this doesn't increase combat effectiveness, per se (although it doesn't decrease it for a cleric), I like the Combat Medic from Heroes of Battle; it's a five level class that arguably wastes two feats (Dodge and Combat Casting) to qualify for, but its fifth-level ability is spontaneous casting of Heal spells. That means the cleric can afford to prepare more buffs. Sacred Exorcist from Complete Divine is nice if you're fighting a lot of outsiders or undead, and you certainly don't lose anything as a cleric, since you continue to progress for turn undead.

The simple fact is, unless a cleric takes a PrC that only offers 1/2 BAB progression, s/he doesn't lose any fighting ability, and as long as it's full caster progression (or the player doesn't care), what the cleric loses isn't really that important (since it's only becoming better at turning undead, which really, when was the last time you did that?). So, remember kids, a cleric is a good candidate for a PrC (second, in fact, only to Sorcerers and Shugenjas).

Amiria
2007-01-13, 12:29 PM
So, you play Forgotten Realms ? How about the Justiciar of Tyr (PGtF) ? A prestige class that gets so powerful abilities like 'Bureaucratic Knowledge' and 'Aura of Absolute Law'.

*shudder*

Seriously, the class is quite good. No feat requirements, but the BAB requirement means that you must be a 7th level cleric before you can take it.

There is also the Initiate of Tyr feat in the PGtF. Requirement is caster level 7 as a cleric and the War Domain.

Falrin
2007-01-13, 12:35 PM
D10 & some feats (fighter ? or shorter list?)

Prereq: All Martial weapons. Str or War domain.

Lose: Turning, 3/5 CasterLvL.

1 Spells
2 Feat
3 Spells
4 Feat
5 Spells

It's basicly a fighter with 3/4 BaB and spells. I'd set a limited list for feats: Wpn focus & spec route, expertise, power attack, ... the more basic ones)

Or you could go full BaB without the feats and some smaller extras.

Suggestions:

Haste x/day
Smite x/day
Feats
D10
Full BaB
Lose spontanious cure for war/str list.
Some auras (+ hit, + saves, +damage, ...)
Channel Spell
Shield Prof & Shield casting.

serow
2007-01-13, 01:00 PM
Fist of Raziel
full BAB, 9/10 spellcasting, permanent Protection (or was it Magic Circle) from Evil, lotsa smiting until the cows come home

krossbow
2007-01-13, 01:04 PM
Just tell him to buff himself; he's then becomes the tank.

Ruby knight vindicator is the only other way to go that I know of really.

Draz74
2007-01-13, 03:25 PM
The thing about a fighting Cleric who takes a full-BAB PrC is ... he's STILL going to cast Divine Power every battle, so he isn't actually going to be fighting any better than he would if he just took more Cleric. Either way, Divine Power brings him up to Fighter BAB.

If you can find a full-caster PrC with not-too-few Hit Points and some cool class features thrown in too, go for it, even if it has poor BAB (because, guess what, you can still use Divine Power!).

CuthroatMcGee
2007-01-13, 03:26 PM
I would definitely say just take a level or two in fighter. If possible, go on to four eventually for weapon spec. But I agree with everyone, its hard to make a cleric a better tank than he already is.

Devils_Advocate
2007-01-13, 04:42 PM
Saying that you want a Prestige Class for a "Fighting Cleric" or "Cleric of Tyr" isn't really a lot to go on. What, specifically, does the player want his character to be able to do that he wouldn't be able to do anyway just by advancing in the Cleric class? Or does he just feel that that would be too generic and want to go with something more unusual just because it would be less boring?

Would he be willing to give up caster levels or not?

Bosh
2007-01-13, 08:52 PM
Going full BaB doesn't help much since you'll just get that anyway with buffs and dipping into fighters doesn't help much either unless there's a specific and very powerful feat chain you have you eyes on.

Just go more cleric, more cleric has MORE than enough melee power.

Bears With Lasers
2007-01-13, 09:18 PM
I would definitely say just take a level or two in fighter. If possible, go on to four eventually for weapon spec. But I agree with everyone, its hard to make a cleric a better tank than he already is.

Weapon Specialization < 9th-level spells.

I mean, just use Miracle to emulate Giant Size, the Wu Jen spell. Bam! Collossal size, +32 STR, +16 CON, +16 bonus to NA, all size bonuses.

Hallavast
2007-01-13, 09:21 PM
Weapon Specialization < 9th-level spells.

I mean, just use Miracle to emulate Giant Size, the Wu Jen spell. Bam! Collossal size, +32 STR, +16 CON, +16 bonus to NA, all size bonuses.
Ok, but that spell is laced with a hefty xp cost, right? You can't exactly do it every fight.

Bears With Lasers
2007-01-13, 09:22 PM
Miracle? No, no it's not. There's no XP cost when you use it to emulate other spells. Besides--Gate, Mass Heal, Implosion, Summon Monster IX, True Ressurection, Storm of Vengeance... 9th level spells, dude. Fighter 4/Cleric 16 is vastly worse than Cleric 20.

AmoDman
2007-01-13, 09:29 PM
The only Cleric Prc I know of that I'd play for pure ass-kicking awsomeness is Stormlord from Complete Divine, but I have no idea what Tyr's flavor is or if the character is even semi-built in that direction...

CoDzilla isn't called such for no reason. Straight Cleric works just fine.

Hallavast
2007-01-13, 09:35 PM
Miracle? No, no it's not. There's no XP cost when you use it to emulate other spells. Besides--Gate, Mass Heal, Implosion, Summon Monster IX, True Ressurection, Storm of Vengeance... 9th level spells, dude. Fighter 4/Cleric 16 is vastly worse than Cleric 20.
Ah, yes. I missed that little clause :smallredface:. And I'm not saying full cleric isn't the way to go by far. I just thought miracle worked differently.

Thrawn183
2007-01-14, 06:32 PM
Heh, it was this forum that taught me to be wary of someone trying to combine miracle with divine metamagic...

JaronK
2007-01-14, 08:16 PM
Seriously, more cleric, and tell the player to play smarter. Divine Persistant Lesser Mass Vigor/Divine Persistant other buffs mean the cleric can out fighter the fighter anyday.

And yes, put on the shrinky collar from Arms and Equipment Guide (always treated as small, no stat changes) and then cast that Wu Jen spell with Miracle. Gee, I'm the size of a gnome with the strength of a Titan. Come get some.

Meanwhile, the rest of the party is crying cheese, except the Druid, who just turned into a Legendary Ape with a quarterstaff with Brambles/Shillelagh and can still outdamage you.

JaronK

Catharsis
2007-01-15, 05:49 PM
Meanwhile, the rest of the party is crying cheese,
And rightly so. Persistent + Divine Metamagic is pretty sick.

Yuki Akuma
2007-01-15, 05:53 PM
I'm going to have to agree with "more cleric".

Armads
2007-01-30, 06:24 AM
More cleric! clerics can become tanks of their own right

clericwithnogod
2007-01-30, 07:36 AM
You get most of what you need to do the job of healer by 9th level casting, Heal lets you do quick recharges at 11th level casting. Mix and match PrCs and other classes to suit your needs in adventures and the makeup of your party. I don't use any Divine Persist or Quicken stuff, but you could probably squeeze it in if you really wanted. More cleric levels don't grant more turns per day, so you can power any Divine feats as well as you're going to without adding something else anyway.

Pious Templar4: Mettle, Stack your best saves, Damage Resistance, Feats - including Weapon Specialization, Cool swift paladin combat spells, mini-smite.

Dragonslayer5-7: Aura of Courage, Stack your best saves again, Energy Resistance, Damage Resistance, Half Caster Progression, Beat on dragons abilities, Martial Weapon Proficiencies - All, Tumble, Tower Shield if you're into that.

Contemplative1: Bonus Domain, Immune to Disease, One level doesn't affect your HPs in a meaningful way, Caster level.

Fighter2: Get the bonus feats

Combat Medic0 or 5: Not generally worth doing unless you get to the Spon heals ability. But, if you get this and Divine Oracle2, you can have your REF save high enough that you take no damage on any successful save and all your saves will be good enough for that to be a benefit - kind of nifty to do.

Yuki Akuma
2007-01-30, 07:42 AM
Psst! He wants to play a fighting cleric, not a healbot.

Rigeld2
2007-01-30, 07:43 AM
None of those add as much as things like
Heal, Mass (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/healMass.htm): As heal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/heal.htm), but with several subjects.
Implosion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/implosion.htm): Kills one creature/round.
True Resurrection (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/trueResurrection.htm) M (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/spellLists.htm#materialComponent): As resurrection (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/resurrection.htm), plus remains aren’t needed.
Miracle (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/miracle.htm) X (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/spellLists.htm#xpComponent): Requests a deity’s intercession.
so... straight cleric.

Pvednes
2007-01-30, 07:44 AM
Totally more CoDzilla.

Charity
2007-01-30, 07:56 AM
Is it not << rather than <
Mr Lasers, though the sentiment is well understood.

Crikey that took me longer than I thought... must remember to hit post before I make a cuppa.

and just to add unneeded emphasis to the 'stick with cleric' camp, I'd just stick with cleric mate, it's difficult to improve on.

clericwithnogod
2007-01-30, 08:16 AM
Psst! He wants to play a fighting cleric, not a healbot.

And, the point is you only need to get to 9th-11th level casting to be able to fulfill the role of healer, allowing you to take non-caster level progressions interspersed with your caster progressions. From his post, it seems he's moving over to this and it's possible he's the only person playing a cleric in the party, meaning he has to maintain some competency at the healing role.

His request was PrCs for a fighting cleric, not a recitation of the Litany of the Cult of Divine Uber Metacheese. If he wanted that, he could find it in every post with the word cleric in it.

Yuki Akuma
2007-01-30, 08:19 AM
Clerics are fine at fighting without resorting to anything but core rules. He doesn't need a PrC to do exactly what he wants to do.

Rigeld2
2007-01-30, 08:26 AM
And, the point is you only need to get to 9th-11th level casting to be able to fulfill the role of healer, allowing you to take non-caster level progressions interspersed with your caster progressions.
But why take non-caster levels? Why? They add nothing that you dont better with spells.

From his post, it seems he's moving over to this and it's possible he's the only person playing a cleric in the party, meaning he has to maintain some competency at the healing role.
I think youre confused. You seem to think that a straight cleric that focuses on melee wont be able to heal.

His request was PrCs for a fighting cleric, not a recitation of the Litany of the Cult of Divine Uber Metacheese. If he wanted that, he could find it in every post with the word cleric in it.
Yes, his request was for PrCs for a fighting cleric... we told him he didnt need them. And he doesnt need Divine Metamagic. I'm planning on being a mostly melee cleric in the core rules battle.

clericwithnogod
2007-01-30, 08:53 AM
But why take non-caster levels? Why? They add nothing that you dont better with spells.

Because he finds limiting himself to the cleric class dull? Or wants to take advantage of more feats and special abilities to make his cleric look exactly like what he wants instead of building the DND equivalent of a hammerdin?

I think youre confused. You seem to think that a straight cleric that focuses on melee wont be able to heal.

You might want to consider trying to take 20 on those think checks if saying that casting at a 9th to 11th level will meet all of your healing needs equates to a straight cleric not being able to heal.

Yes, his request was for PrCs for a fighting cleric... we told him he didnt need them. And he doesnt need Divine Metamagic. I'm planning on being a mostly melee cleric in the core rules battle.

Need isn't the same as want. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to optimize a character. The math is simple and the char op boards do most of the work for you. That's not what everyone is looking for though. A lot of people are happy meeting the needs for the role they're filling in an interesting way rather than building for ultimate power. Not that there's anything wrong with building for power - without it, you can't make trade-offs for things that are interesting to you.

Rigeld2
2007-01-30, 09:03 AM
You might want to consider trying to take 20 on those think checks if saying that casting at a 9th to 11th level will meet all of your healing needs equates to a straight cleric not being able to heal.
Funny.. I thought more caster levels got you more spells per level. Oh, they do. I also thought that there were heal spells after Heal. Oh, there are. So a straight cleric will be able to heal better than a cleric that loses caster levels, and usually fight just as well.

Need isn't the same as want. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to optimize a character. The math is simple and the char op boards do most of the work for you. That's not what everyone is looking for though. A lot of people are happy meeting the needs for the role they're filling in an interesting way rather than building for ultimate power.
Never said it was the same. The OP said he didnt have any PrCs in mind. He didnt give any goal besides being tankish in mind. Straight cleric fits that to a T and requires -0- work on all parties. 100% core even. It meets the needs for the role, and interesting depends on roleplay, not on the build.

clericwithnogod
2007-01-30, 09:33 AM
Funny.. I thought more caster levels got you more spells per level. Oh, they do. I also thought that there were heal spells after Heal. Oh, there are. So a straight cleric will be able to heal better than a cleric that loses caster levels, and usually fight just as well.

Which has nothing to do with your statement:

"You seem to think that a straight cleric that focuses on melee wont be able to heal."

I never wrote that there weren't heal spells after heal, just that you can fill your role by reaching 9th (for Raise Dead, Revivify, Break Enchantment, though I didn't state such) and/or 11th (stated - Heal, not stated - Greater Dispel Magic).

As an aside, "You seem to think" ranks right up there with "It sounds like" and "can be taken as."

You're arguing against things I've never said just to say what you want to say. It's a forum, you don't have to speak only when spoken to...you can build a position from the ground up rather than building it on the shaky foundation of your misinterpretation of someone else's post.

Rigeld2
2007-01-30, 09:51 AM
Which has nothing to do with your statement:

"You seem to think that a straight cleric that focuses on melee wont be able to heal."

I never wrote that there weren't heal spells after heal, just that you can fill your role by reaching 9th (for Raise Dead, Revivify, Break Enchantment, though I didn't state such) and/or 11th (stated - Heal, not stated - Greater Dispel Magic).

As an aside, "You seem to think" ranks right up there with "It sounds like" and "can be taken as."

You're arguing against things I've never said just to say what you want to say. It's a forum, you don't have to speak only when spoken to...you can build a position from the ground up rather than building it on the shaky foundation of your misinterpretation of someone else's post.
Your statement:

casting at a 9th to 11th level will meet all of your healing needs
If you qualify it with all of your single target healing needs, you might be right. But I still think youre wrong - thats like saying a level 20 paladin can play main healer in a group.

Telonius
2007-01-30, 09:57 AM
Church Inquisitor, or Hospitaler, maybe?

Lord Xaedien
2007-01-30, 10:03 AM
Fist of Raziel
full BAB, 9/10 spellcasting, permanent Protection (or was it Magic Circle) from Evil, lotsa smiting until the cows come home

QFT. You need The BoED, and some exhalted feats, but it really isnt too bad. I am playing a cleric with the smiting variant with the Fist of Raziel, and it is amazingly good. And since Tyr is a lawful good diety, you fit right into the class.

clericwithnogod
2007-01-30, 10:30 AM
Your statement:

If you qualify it with all of your single target healing needs, you might be right. But I still think youre wrong - thats like saying a level 20 paladin can play main healer in a group.

And this is a fair argument. I think getting Raise Dead and Revivify as well as the insta-recharge of Heal, all of which a Paladin never gets make you a much better healer than a Paladin 20 - while being at least an equal in combat. Personally, I'd prefer to have (before bonus spells):

Cleric11: 0:6 1st:5+1 2nd:4+1 3rd:4+1 4th:3+1 5th:2+1 6th:1+1

or even moreso:

Cleric13: 0:6 1st:5+1 2nd:5+1 3rd:4+1 4th:4+1 5th:3+1 6th:2+1 7th:1+1
PiousTemplar(Paladin)3 1st:1 2nd:0*

to

Paladin20: 1st:3 2nd:3 3rd:3 4th:3

But, even though it's not the same, there are people that feel a Paladin can be sufficient healing if you supplement it with a lot of wands and potions. I'm not one of them though.

EDIT: AS for single versus mass healing needs, aside from Mass Restoration and Mass Heal, the mass spells don't do much for me except for adding some range. You get Cure Light Wounds, Mass at 5th, Cure Moderate Wounds, Mass at 6th, etc. Those progress at 1d8+CL(max25)/2d8+CL(max30)/3d8+CL(max35)/4d8+CL(max40). Not much return for progressing there. Mass Restoration and Mass Heal are nice, but I don't often have a situation where everyone needs a Heal or Restoration in combat...and in the case of Mass Heal, it is a 9th level spell, so it's not like you get a lot of use out of it in most campaigns. But, YMMV.

Shisumo
2007-01-30, 10:57 AM
Hospitaler

My wife's heading that direction - she's Clr4 right now, plans to take 2 levels of fighter to meet the PrC's prereqs, and then head up the Hospitaler path until the campaign runs out. I pointed out that she could probably do just as well by staying a cleric, if not better, but she said she didn't like how it felt for her character - she wanted her class levels to reflect the concept. So she's doing it. Hospitaler's casting progression is only 7/10, but she'd still have 8th level spells by the time she hits level 20 (if the campaign were going to last that long, which it won't).

Person_Man
2007-01-30, 01:58 PM
IMO, given the existance of Divine Power and multiple other Cleric buffs, there is no crunch reason for a Cleric to leave the class for any other base class, or for a PrC that does not offer full progression in Cleric spellcasting. There is simply nothing that a Cleric/Fighter/whatever or Cleric/Nerfed PrC can do that a normal Cleric can't accomplish with spells, but better. That's why people constantly harp on CoDzilla.

If you don't want to play CoDzilla, that's fine. Heck, my favorite PCs of all time are a Scout and a Sorcerer. But don't kid yourself by saying that some sort of Cleric/Sausage build is somehow stronger then a full caster.

Having said that, some of the better full caster PrC include Church Inquisitor, Radiant Servant of Pelor, Sacred Exorcist, Dweomerkeeper, and Nightcloak. Any can easily be spun into a fighting Cleric fluff.

shaka gl
2007-01-30, 02:27 PM
He liked the Justiciar Of Tyr from the Players Guide To Faerun. Good BAB, good fort and will, full progression; and some nice stuff (with the exception of that Burocracy thing at lvl 2)

Marius
2007-01-31, 01:48 PM
The problem with the war priest is that it's just a lousy PrC. Waste of paper.

I'd recommend the Ruby Knight Vindicator from ToB.

I agree, you may be not as powerful but you'll be way more cooler.

clericwithnogod
2007-01-31, 05:14 PM
But don't kid yourself by saying that some sort of Cleric/Sausage build is somehow stronger then a full caster.

I'll bite...where did someone say this? Having followed the thread and having reread the thread, I must be missing it...

SpiderBrigade
2007-01-31, 07:31 PM
Cleric...sausage? Is this some kind of slang I don't know?

Person_Man
2007-01-31, 07:52 PM
Cleric...sausage? Is this some kind of slang I don't know?

What, am I the only amateur chef and former butcher on this board?

Sausage is ground meat (often from various parts of an animal, or several animals), fat, herbs, and sometimes other ingredients, stuffed into intestines or synthetic casing. It's generally considered a very low quality meat.

A common cooking error is to put too many ingredients into your dish. Clerics are filet mignon. Adding too much on top of it ruins the flavor. And grinding it up and mixing it with a bunch of other classes is cooking heresy. Being a Cleric/Fighter/Paladin/Whatever turns a perfectly good build into sausage. By itself with a one good prestige class, a little metamagic and some divine feats, and its one of the highest quality builds you can play.

Man, that’s a poorly constructed metaphor. But hopefully, you get the idea. I though simply saying "Cleric/Sausage build" implied that. Sorry if there was confusion.

SpiderBrigade
2007-01-31, 07:59 PM
Well, now that you explain it, it actually makes a lot of sense :smallbiggrin:

clericwithnogod
2007-02-01, 06:25 PM
Filet mignon is fine, if that's your taste. Not one of my favorites though.

On the other hand...

Hot Italian Sausage, Cajun Andouille (Jambalaya, Red Beans and Rice, Gumbo), Kielbasa, Venison Sausage, Hot Polish Sausage, Chorizo, Kishka, Bratwurst, Knackwurst, other Wursts, Biscuits and Sausage Gravy and, if you have the courage, Andouillette...

Lots of good sausage and stuff containing sausage out there... You're missing out on a lot of flavor and variety if you stick to one meat, high quality or not.