PDA

View Full Version : Discerning the real image

jokeaccount
2013-11-26, 08:07 AM
We came down a situation the other day and i'd like your opinion on how to best tackle it:

An enemy used mirror image and then proceeded to grapple the fighter with his pincer and hold him (the enemy was a glabrezu if that matters). After he did that I argued that since he was holding our ftr we can now discern who is the real opponent. After some debating the DM agreed that we could discern the real opponent on his upper area (thus the wizard succeeded in his enervation attempt) but we the melee who are hitting him in his lower half can't discern him and still had to roll % dice. Seems legit to me but still getting your input would be interesting.

Thanks

Gwendol
2013-11-26, 08:10 AM
Why can't the images all hold the fighter? There are many problems with mirror image, but this seems not to be one of them.

Yora
2013-11-26, 08:14 AM
The spell discription says the mirror images mimic your movements exactly. That means the images would be grasping at air, since there is only one location in which the posture of the enemy matches the posture of the fighter. Which is the position where the actual enemy currently stands.

Crake
2013-11-26, 08:20 AM
The spell discription says the mirror images mimic your movements exactly. That means the images would be grasping at air, since there is only one location in which the posture of the enemy matches the posture of the fighter. Which is the position where the actual enemy currently stands.

Not necessarily, the mirror images can actually spread out as far as 5 feet away from eachother, and they can be facing different directions when "mirroring actions" so they could be in a circle around the fighter, all looking to be holding him from different angles, but legit holding him.

Edit: It says they mimic your actions btw, not mimic your exact movements, so they would all look like they're holding the fighter, not all look like they're just holding the air except the one who was holding the fighter.

jokeaccount
2013-11-26, 08:33 AM
Didnt know they could be facing different ways but still. Cant the fighter just point us who is the real one as a free action?

Gwendol
2013-11-26, 08:36 AM
I guess he could, but then again since they are so crammed together he might point to the wrong one.