PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Help

PraxisVetli
2013-11-26, 11:29 AM
So, I've a buddy that want to play a heavy CHA based Character. DM allowed a Feat that gave Cha to hit, a second for dmg rolls, now he wants to design a weapon.
Currently, He has a +1 Defending Rapier.
Convinced him to upgrade to an Elven Courtblade for PA dmg.
Currently lvl 10, prob ~15k to spend.
Wand Chambers acceptable, thinking one of Wraithstrike would be good.

His build:
Swashbuckler5/Rogue3/Paladin of freedom1/Half Elf Paragon1
Feats:
Weapons Panache
Improved Weapons Panache
Combat Expertise
Daring Outlaw
Improved Feint
Ultimate Feint

Campaign should go into Low Epic, so ideas for now and how to upgrade throughout the lvls are also appreciated.
I'll try to make this clear. I'm not looking for classes or feats or fancy Cha boots.
I want help designing his weapon, if there's any particular enchantments or materials or the like that would help his character's build.

Gwendol
2013-11-26, 11:34 AM
Swashbuckler gets weapon finesse as bonus feat, in case he can stack that with the CHA to hit. So, yeah, swashbuckler X/rogue 4 taking daring outlaw at 6 is one way.
Another would be bard, and max out inspire courage. Bardadin is a popular choice for CHA focused characters, taking the devoted performer feat, and likely the smite to song feat for even more inspire courage.

Red Fel
2013-11-26, 11:34 AM
So, I've a buddy that want to play a heavy CHA based Character. DM allowed a Feat that gave Cha to hit, a second for dmg rolls.
Currently, He has a +1 Defending Rapier.
He wants to stay with Light weapons, One hand preferrable.
Doesn't want to PA with those funky Elven blades.
Currently lvl 10, prob ~15k to spend.
Wand Chambers acceptable.

His build:
Swashbuckler5/Rogue3/Paladin of freedom1/Half Elf Paragon1
Feats:
Weapons Panache
Improved Weapons Panache
Combat Expertise
Daring Outlaw
Improved Feint
Ultimate Feint

Campaign should go into Low Epic, so ideas for now and how to upgrade throughout the lvls are also appreciated.

I'm confused. You say you're going heavy Cha, but you want tips on a Dex melee build?

... Why not go Cha melee, again?

PraxisVetli
2013-11-26, 11:54 AM
I'm confused. You say you're going heavy Cha, but you want tips on a Dex melee build?

... Why not go Cha melee, again?

because I'm dumb.
Most Dex based feats will transfer to his CHA.
So It end up being a similiar build. however, if there are things that are actually Cha based, that'd be cool. To clarify, I'm looking for Weapons, not builds.
TWF is currently being debated.

PraxisVetli
2013-11-26, 12:28 PM
Okay. Change in Plans.
Player has decided to do PA with the Elven Courtblade.
Enchantment Ideas, special Materials, Wand Chambers, what's out there?
Looking a a Wand Of Wraithstrike.

Red Fel
2013-11-26, 01:15 PM
It depends on the base class and race.

For example, if he's going Warblade, start by taking EWP, obviously. However, if he's not going Warblade, and he happens to be an Elf (which makes sense, it's in the name of the weapon) instead take Improved Weapon Familiarity and gain more bang for your buck (throw in the Elven Thinblade while you're there). You could also take the flaw Pride of Elven Arms to limit yourself to the elven proficiencies and Courtblade/Thinblade, which really doesn't hurt you at all unless you get disarmed.

Whether you're going with Cha or Dex focus (I'm still a bit confused right now) I'd advise you to look at the X Stat to Y Bonus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732) list. For example, a Factotum X/ Iaijutsu Master 5 (Factotum for the Iaijutsu Focus requirement) can tack on some healthy Charisma to attacks.

If you're focusing on Dex instead, again if you're going Elf, consider Champion of Corellon Larethian. The feat taxes are heavy, but it's like a Dex-based Elven Paladin. You get bonus feats, Lay on Hands, Dex bonus to elven weapon damage, increased max Dex bonus on heavier armors, and a Cha+3-per-day smite. Alternatively, if you also have decent Int, consider Eternal Blade, with the incomparable Time Stands Still capstone.

If you're not going Elf, of course, you should consider other options. I've noticed, however, that you're missing Weapon Finesse. For shame.

As for the weapon itself, I hear good things about Kaorti Resin on a high-crit weapon (crit multiplier x4), but it requires an additional EWP. For most materials, the Transmuting or Metalline enhancements will help you deal with most forms of DR. After that, things become more situational. I happen to be a fan of Ghost Strike (which is basically Ghost Touch, but also capable of sneak attack/crits against incorporeal undead), but as I mentioned, situational. Magebane is nice, since it hurts pretty much anything that casts arcane spells.

pilvento
2013-11-26, 02:07 PM
Yo dont really homebrew for that. Boots of battledancing replaces STR with CHA to hit and dmg if you moved before attacking. arround 15k

Bracers of heartfeel blows gives CHA as fire dmg to weapon dmg rolls. 8k

Then you got snowflake wardance, ads cha to AR and DMG by expending a bardic music use.

If he really wants to focus on CHA. then play using this items and feats and go Bard8/swiftblade10.

You get movement bonus, cha to hit and dmg twice, cha to init rolls, spells, cha as main casting stat, bardic music, spring attack, bounding assault and all of the swiftblade features.

You can even dip monk and get asetic mage for CHA to AC.

And if he wields 2handed dont forget power attack

Say no to homebrew, there is allways a way. :smallwink:

PraxisVetli
2013-11-26, 02:50 PM
Yo dont really homebrew for that. Boots of battledancing replaces STR with CHA to hit and dmg if you moved before attacking. arround 15k

Bracers of heartfeel blows gives CHA as fire dmg to weapon dmg rolls. 8k

Then you got snowflake wardance, ads cha to AR and DMG by expending a bardic music use.

If he really wants to focus on CHA. then play using this items and feats and go Bard8/swiftblade10.

You get movement bonus, cha to hit and dmg twice, cha to init rolls, spells, cha as main casting stat, bardic music, spring attack, bounding assault and all of the swiftblade features.

You can even dip monk and get asetic mage for CHA to AC.

And if he wields 2handed dont forget power attack

Say no to homebrew, there is allways a way. :smallwink:
Well that's all well and good, except it has nothing to do with what the threads about.

It depends on the base class and race.

For example, if he's going Warblade, start by taking EWP, obviously. However, if he's not going Warblade, and he happens to be an Elf (which makes sense, it's in the name of the weapon) instead take Improved Weapon Familiarity and gain more bang for your buck (throw in the Elven Thinblade while you're there). You could also take the flaw Pride of Elven Arms to limit yourself to the elven proficiencies and Courtblade/Thinblade, which really doesn't hurt you at all unless you get disarmed.

Whether you're going with Cha or Dex focus (I'm still a bit confused right now) I'd advise you to look at the X Stat to Y Bonus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732) list. For example, a Factotum X/ Iaijutsu Master 5 (Factotum for the Iaijutsu Focus requirement) can tack on some healthy Charisma to attacks.

If you're focusing on Dex instead, again if you're going Elf, consider Champion of Corellon Larethian. The feat taxes are heavy, but it's like a Dex-based Elven Paladin. You get bonus feats, Lay on Hands, Dex bonus to elven weapon damage, increased max Dex bonus on heavier armors, and a Cha+3-per-day smite. Alternatively, if you also have decent Int, consider Eternal Blade, with the incomparable Time Stands Still capstone.

If you're not going Elf, of course, you should consider other options. I've noticed, however, that you're missing Weapon Finesse. For shame.

As for the weapon itself, I hear good things about Kaorti Resin on a high-crit weapon (crit multiplier x4), but it requires an additional EWP. For most materials, the Transmuting or Metalline enhancements will help you deal with most forms of DR. After that, things become more situational. I happen to be a fan of Ghost Strike (which is basically Ghost Touch, but also capable of sneak attack/crits against incorporeal undead), but as I mentioned, situational. Magebane is nice, since it hurts pretty much anything that casts arcane spells.
He isn't an Elf, He's Half-Elf. (see first post)
He already has a build, and it doesn't include Warblade (see first post)
First lvl Swashbuckler gives Weapon Finesse.
The Cha and Dex don't stack. He is Cha based, But if a weapon has something that relays it to Dex (as in something branching off of Finesse) The DM will let it roll over to CHA.
Kaorti is nice, but can't afford the feat for the extra Prof.

I think what I'm looking for is, isn't there a list out there of things like "serrated" or others that allow for weapon alteration? Things like that, that can be added/changed about a weapon to help with dmg output.

Seerow
2013-11-26, 05:11 PM
I think what I'm looking for is, isn't there a list out there of things like "serrated" or others that allow for weapon alteration? Things like that, that can be added/changed about a weapon to help with dmg output.

Are you looking for something official or homebrew?

Official content in the area of weapon mods are sadly fairly limited. You'll be stuck with basically whatever magical properties you can find that fit the concept. And as far as that goes, standard properties like keen and speed are what really come to mind for a dashing swordsman/swashbuckling archtype. But since he's going finessible power attack, you could dig through charger tips and tricks for stuff.

If you're willing to dip into homebrew, I have a pretty extensive Weapon/Armor overhaul, that includes the ability to modify a weapon with various upgrades (such as increased damage, boosted crit rates, making it finessible, making it throwable, and so on). You can find the link through my sig (or I can pull it up if you're lazy and are interested).

PraxisVetli
2013-11-26, 05:48 PM
Definately Officiial.
Thanks, I'll check your Homebrew anyways.
(and i'll pull it up, no worries)