PDA

View Full Version : The 43rd Algiran Drop Troops IC

tigerusthegreat
2013-11-26, 01:44 PM
The Imperial World of Algira resided in a relatively calm sector of space. Most of the xenos were far off on some other front, and the Guardsmen here had to worry primarily about mutation, heresy, and corruption. The 43rd Algiran Drop Troops, nicknamed the Hawkmoths, were stationed on this world to provide defense against these threats, and any others that would come against the Empire of Mankind.

On the upper towers of one of the massive cities in the habitable temperate zone of Algira was a small hangar containing the four Valkyries the regiment had in service. The barracks for the 43rd's soldiers was in the levels below the hangar, what was once the governor's palace centuries ago.

It is a warm day when you take the lift up to the briefing theater. The open walkways to the theater give you a great view of the bustle of the city below. Loyal citizens going about their business. You almost feel happy, until you see the Lieutenant. Lieutenant Braxlon looks like his body is held together by spite and force of will, two things he has in abundance. He has more scars than skin, and his left eye glows with the red light of a cybernetic replacement. The popular rumor is that he was one a Space Marine, but was disgraced and tried to take his own life. Stripped of many of the life-giving implants, he was left alone on an Ork infested world. Ten years later, not an ork remained on the planet, those that did not die to Braxlon fled. His body was too badly battered to undertake the process to restore his implants, so instead he was given an honorary position with an honored Imperial Guard brigade.

You take your seats in the briefing theater, noticing the lack of several of the other squads that normally take part in joint operations. Only two squads are present, yours and one other. Braxlon starts the briefing before you think further on it.

"As the less ignorant among you will know, the polar caps of this world are largely considered uninhabitable. The temperature ranges from -50 in winter to -10 in summer. The energy cost of maintaining a population in these environments is considered too great when we have other colonies. A short while ago, 74 years to be exact, a transport ship crashed into the northern polar cap. We believe that this ship was carrying among its cargo some ork prisoners. A civilian ice mining vessel was lost over the northern cap two days ago, shot down by what we believe to be ork weaponry. Orbital images have shown this." An image appears before you of a crude mechanical device that looks like it shouldn't be holding together, but it is. The image changes and shows it glowing with energy, and changes again to show two new ork standing in the middle of it. "This is a progenisis device. Once it accepts a template, provided it has power, it will make a copy of that genetic template. Unfortunately it is heavily shielded, so orbital bombardment or artillery strikes are out of the question. We need to send a small team in to disable it."

"The other problem is this." The screen changes to show an ork that has a space marine helmet hanging by a chain around his neck. Given the size of that helmet, the ork must be massive. "This is Boss Raj Raj. We believe he is in charge of the ork. We do know he was once one of the prisoners onboard the crashed ship. He also needs to be eliminated. He has proven to be slippery in the past, and might flee once the progenisis device is destroyed. We are inserting your squads as near we can to each objective, but I trust you to decide who is going after what objective. Submit all equipment requests to me within the hour, and I will see what we can do."

(Note: haven't done the mission logistics roll yet, as I want to see what everyone requests first. One item per character, and remember you do have to give it back after the mission.)

Doc Kraken
2013-11-26, 03:18 PM
Galemar shifts restlessly back and forth in his seat, tapping his fingers together as he stares intently at the ork device.

"Oh, now that's shoddy workmanship. I mean, I know they've corrupted the machine spirits and all, but that thing looks like it should fall apart or fry them or something. Am I right? Shielding or not, a good solid hit ought to frak it good, sir. Probably just need to kick it a couple of times - "

He trails to a halt as Derax shoots him a warning glare from the next seat, then offers the Lieutenant a sickly grin.

"But better safe than sorry, right, sir? And the place ought to be crawling with xenos. Sounds bloody cold, too. How are we doing on firebombs? If you can get any out of the quartermaster, I guarantee you we can find a use for it." His grin widens. "Almost certainly, and I can try to bring the bits back for storage."

Caimheul
2013-11-26, 03:30 PM
"Orks. Feck." Anastasia spits on the floor from her position leaning against the wall near the door. "Damn greenskins are too dumb to know when you've killed them, not with your lasguns in standard mode anyway. Like most things they don't take too kindly to fire though. Firebombs'll help, might have to dip into the rotgut supply but should be easy enough to find. Least most greenies can't hit a valkyrie firin' inside the cargo hold," she observes casually.

Firebomb: [roll0] TN 40 (Plentiful 30 +10)
Edit: Rolled under by 35, 4 degrees of success. Total of 5 fire grenades obtained according to Errata.

ImperatorV
2013-11-26, 04:10 PM
Casmirre leans back in his seat, waiting for the others to finish before speaking in his low, clipped tone.

Sir. I request the use of a long-las for the operation. If you have one, that is.

ArcturusV
2013-11-26, 05:52 PM
"Must be an action figure," Lukan chuckled as he saw the picture of the Warboss with the Space Marine Pendant, his mind flashing back to his instruction on Orks... who were roughly 3 feet tall. Low density musculature, meaning they were easy to take down, frightened and easily disorientated by fire and loud noises, with weapons that were prone to failure and jamming. He nodded to himself, looking over the pict of the Warboss once more, smirking as he glanced over at Samara, "Figure his family name is Shish Boom Bah?"

Samara just groaned and rolled her eyes, "... no... no I don't... Be serious."

Lukan scoffed at her and dismissed it with a wave of his hand. "Lieutenant Braxton sir... mind putting in a requisition for some Hunting Lances? Think I got a squat little bastard to mount up in the regimental trophy hall..."

Fibinachi
2013-11-26, 07:02 PM
But that was absolutely astoundingly atrocious. Holding together a device with nothing but skulls and splashes of paint and what looked like spikey bits. Not a trace of incense anywhere near that machine! Torgue's internal capacitator began quietly buzzing with disquiet.

"We shouldn't kick it. That machine is clearly suffering, and needs to be put down in an orderly manner. I recommend a clean, quick termination with a detonation charge. It won't feel a thing. I should be there to guide it safely onwards."

Minding the more dynamic, organic problem could be a situation better handled by others. Someone had to fix the outrageous lack of unguents. The poor thing probably hadn't even been near a censer in near a century.

"Clearly require incense, and much thereof. I shall fil out the paperwork immediately.

tigerusthegreat
2013-11-26, 07:45 PM
"I can see that the drill sergeants have been lax with you lot. Those that survive the ork will have daily calisthenics and KP duty for a month when they return." The lieutenant does not look pleased.

ImperatorV
2013-11-26, 08:42 PM
Casmirre stays silent, despite the fact that the lieutenant is punishing him for the disrespect of others.

Recalcitrent
2013-11-26, 11:55 PM
Silently studying their information, Zacharia chain-lights his next lho-stick, to the disgust of his adjutant Shandra seated next to him.
Eventually, the sergeant's gravelly, lho-abused voice sounds throughout the room. "A hard target and a massive Ork boss, hmm? I also request the use of any firebombs we can spare, sir. Hard to slip away when your legs've been burnt off." He says with a small grin. "The Emperor will assure our success, sergeant. We need nothing more than our faith to defeat this foul xeno." Shandra says with conviction.
"All the same, Adjutant, I'd like the grenades."

Revanus
2013-11-27, 12:47 AM
Ever glances at the back of Lukan's head, thinking mildly murderous thoughts.

Stupid fracker. What kind of green boot doesn't know to keep his mouth shut when the LT is on deck?

Barbi nudged Ever in the ribs, and they shared a look.

It's our duty to make sure these idiots make it back to base to enjoy their month-long punishment.

OOC: Claiming dark red for speech :).

LeSwordfish
2013-11-27, 04:28 AM
Mag scratched his head with a hand the size of a ham. "Sir, do we have any further data on the boss's entourage? I'm pretty sure Orks tend to travel in numbers. It would be nice to know what we're facing, as well as the boss."

Fibinachi
2013-11-27, 05:32 AM
A month of calibrations? Perhaps that implied some fine tuning of the guards biological systems. Splendid idea. After an exposure to subzero temperatures making sure that the important circulation of oils, wait no, blood remained uninterupted was probably a fantastic idea. Braxlon clearly had an eye for detail that far surpassed anything Torque had approximated the officer possessed.

Omnissah, working in the Guard meant lots of surprises.

Doc Kraken
2013-11-27, 10:46 AM
"A month?" Galemar groans. "Lieutenant, can't - ow!" He manages to turn the yelp of pain into a fairly realistic cough as Derax kicks him in the ankle. "Right. Orks. Sir, since the cogb - the enginseer wants to euthanize the xenos device, maybe I better help go after the boss. If the first team has him along, they won't need me as much. As such, I'd like to second Ma - er, Corporal Erskin's question."

tigerusthegreat
2013-11-27, 10:54 AM
"The Ork have been up there for 87 years, giving them plenty of time to spawn. We are hoping the cold climate will have limited this, but Ork infestations on glacial worlds have been reported. You will come up against heavy resistance. Orbital bombardment is out of the question, but we have artillery support available. We believe they have the xeno equivalent of an engineseer, something they refer to as a Dok, but we have not been able to locate him with orbital imagery."

Revanus
2013-11-27, 11:09 AM
Ever shifts his eyes to the LT, paying attention to the briefing.

He didn't bother requesting an assignment. A medic's job is to follow the screams.

Recalcitrent
2013-11-27, 04:22 PM
Zacharia leans back in his seat, enjoying his smoke, but otherwise stays silent, pondering this new information.

ArcturusV
2013-11-27, 05:41 PM
Lukan held up his hand a little lazily, elbow resting on the back of the chair next to him, hand towards the sky until he drew the Lieutenant's attention. "You want that we should take this Doker down, drag him back to the metal heads who might beat some info outta him?"

Fibinachi
2013-11-28, 12:14 PM
Metal head was a new one. Odd. Technically, Torque's head was a combination of organic material with only a modest a subdermal cranial interface. Possibly difficult to see that over the bolted on rebreather, but that was plast material and alloys, so not even that applied to metal head. But then, maybe it was like Cog-Boy - no matter how many times Torque spent telling passing guardsmen that there was nary a cog near, or that "Boy" didn't really apply, no one seemed deigned to use a more precise moniker. Guardsmen! Show them a revolutionary portable communication device for use in transcribing orders, the louts call it a "Pen" and ask if it also writes in green. Green! As if producing pigments were that easy.

"The Venerable Overseers would find some difficulties" - heretical abominations against the true path - "in assuming any knowledge the Dok could supply would be useful" - because what would foul xeno with no appreciation for incense possibly offer about changing bolts, let alone something important, like the 293 Rites of Percussive Maintenance - "or its intelligence worth studying" - slap a spike on it! Machine spirit won't mind! The sheer gall! - "so it would be better to not drag it back. And burn it. Then burn the ashes. Then I think pray near the scorched, ashen remains. Then finally burn the remains again. And then liberate any poor machines subject to its foul ministrations. AND THEN BURN THE SPOT AGA--- I apologize and will sit down now.".

Enginseer Torque killed the buzzing of discontent once again, sitting down in admonishment. The damn sound must have started up right around the time Torque stood up and began waving arms and mechandrites around. Had really gotten carried away there for a moment. Argh, that meant more instructions on Guardsmen Interaction Protocols.

ArcturusV
2013-11-28, 12:32 PM
Lukan chuckled softly at the Techpriest's tirade, and lowered his hand now that the question was at least answered to his satisfaction. "Just checkin'. Hard to un-kill something after the fact." He gave the Tech-Priest a bit of a hard look, frowning a bit before nodding, "Long as we're here... somethin' happens and you can't get to that little bio-factorium device... how are we supposed to put it down? Figure you got some little rite to go through. Very least anything you can tell us about takin' it apart relatively pain free?"

He looked back towards the Lieutenant, "And what's our planned extraction sir? Kill our way to our own lines or we clearin' a zone for pick up?"

Recalcitrent
2013-11-28, 12:39 PM
Zacharia, already used to the actions of the techpriests, blinks at that. "I must be getting a bit old, to be forgetting about extraction. I second the question, sir."
Shandra begins to open her mouth, but is cut off by Zacharia.
"And I know the Emperor will provide, Adjutant." He says in an exasperated voice.

tigerusthegreat
2013-11-28, 05:15 PM
"Extraction has two options. You hike it back here, or you blow up these emplacements." The screen changes to a an image of several heavy bolter emplacements. "We believe these were stripped from the wreck. Not much against heavy ships, but against Valkyries, they are deadly. Knock those out, and the Valkyries will return to pick you up. Otherwise, you will have a few thousand miles trek back to civilization."

Revanus
2013-11-28, 05:32 PM
Ever studies the text priest and his outburst. He hoped the priest wouldn't become a liability. Having a similar fit of religious pyromania in the middle of a hot zone filled with Orks would be...unpleasant.

Also, Ever wasn't sure he'd be able to do much for the priest in the event of injury. Augmented physiologies tended to deviate from the standard handbooks of practical field medicine.

"Lt., our goal is to render the device inoperable by any means necessary, correct? To confirm, observing the rites of the Adeptus Mechanicus are not to take priority over neutralizing the device and successful extraction?"

tigerusthegreat
2013-11-28, 06:53 PM
"Correct, the device needs to be destroyed. You can pray forgiveness to the machine spirits later."

ImperatorV
2013-11-28, 08:40 PM
I'm sure the Ommissah will be happy we brought peace to the machine spirit, whether or not the rituals are observed.

Doc Kraken
2013-11-28, 09:43 PM
Galemar rubs his chin thoughtfully. "Where exactly are these emplacements, sir? I mean, which team's gonna go after them? And how are we gonna call in the Valkyries - they gonna be taking readings from nearby, or what? I mean, and I'm just throwing ideas out, maybe we get a chance to blow the guns on the way in, draw some of the orks out, but if the flybo - the pilots take that as the signal to pull us out, then we can scratch a few birds. For that matter, how are we gonna call in that artillery support you mentioned? We got a good secure vox-line for the mission?" He grins hopefully. "I could go for a nice, long-range vox."

tigerusthegreat
2013-11-28, 10:05 PM
"There are emplacements around both targets, so each team will have to deal with their emplacements for their Valkyrie to be able to land. A long range vox will not be issued, we do not want the ork to have knowledge of our codes should it fall into their hands. Communication between the teams will be limited. Each team will have a locator beacon for the Valkyries, activate it when you are ready for pickup."

Caimheul
2013-11-28, 10:49 PM
Anastasia nods. "Right. Infiltrate in, kill the boss, slip out, optionally taking out the bolter turrets for quicker pick-up. No argument here about not issuing a vox, but how're we gonna let the lanyard pullers know where to shoot? Or're we limited to pre-arranged targets and times?" the storm trooper asks as she scratches one of her shoulders absentmindedly.

Recalcitrent
2013-11-28, 10:55 PM
Zacharia grimaces as he realizes his pack of lho-sticks is empty, and his current stick is nearly burnt through.
"Well, aside from the locator beacons, what other goodies will the Departmento Munitorum issue for our mission, Lieutenant?"

tigerusthegreat
2013-11-28, 11:33 PM
Several crates are brought up by soldiers, and they are dumped in the middle of the briefing room. "Let's see what the depot has sent us." He opens the crates one by one. "Two Vox Signallers. For those of you unfamiliar with these gadgets, touch this button, and throw it where you want the artillery team to aim, and all hell will break loose." He opens another crate. "Five demolition charges, that should make short work of the device." He opens a third crate. "And instead of the rocket launcher, you've got ten entrenching tools."

"Additionally, the depot has processed your requests and the requested gear, if available, has been brought up. Five firebombs for Anastasia, and Field sutures for Ever. Looks like the depot is out of las pistols, long las, hunting lances, grenades, and incense."

(I got a couple rolls by hand as I noticed they hadn't been rolled on, but they were in the 70s. Still, you got a lot of shovels.)

Recalcitrent
2013-11-28, 11:51 PM
Shovels instead of a launcher. Why cant I help but feel this is because we pissed Lt. Braxlon off. Zacharia thinks sarcastially. However, what he says is, "As Shandra here is so fond of saying, the Emperor provides what we need." Shandra merely looks pleased with herself, as if she had just won an argument.

Doc Kraken
2013-11-29, 12:07 AM
"Entrenching tools..." Galemar taps his fingers, looking over the equipment doubtfully. "Might be able to break through ice with those...I bet they'd go through an ork's skull nicely, too. Not gonna be fun to haul them, but hey. Mag, you want to volunteer for pack-hauling duty? He nudges Mag in the ribs with an elbow. "Man, I bet you could get a real good swing with one of those things. What do you think?"

"I bet I could get a real good swing with one of them right now." Derax mutters, glaring at her fellow Guardsman while trying to avoid the Lieutenant's eye.

Revanus
2013-11-29, 02:43 AM
Barbi glances at Ever, nodding when she hears they've got field sutures. Then she turns to the LT, a bit of a nervous quaver audible in her voice.

"Sir...when will we be leaving?

Fibinachi
2013-11-29, 03:45 AM
"Out of incense?!" Torgue managed by way of response, a shocked sound somewhere between a gasp and a gurgle. It a took a while for the Enginseer to recover and stop shaking.
"Clearly, we are tested. On the other mechandrite, entrenching tools are a clear bounty. Much more useful than a mere rocket launcher. Crack a skull or crack the earth! Just, erh, please be sure to clean it after using it to disembowel an orc. Everyone gets really irate about ichor stains."

Still, a dire lack of incense in this regimental compound would be sure to eventually upset the machine spirits. Luckily, Torgue had a supply that could last a while. Better get this entire demolition job over with, and back to polishing knobs quickly though.

"Shall I carry the blessed explosives? Alas, my aim with a weapon poor, but I do have a fondness for the Rites of Immolation. Incidentally, maybe the Warboss would also be well served with an introduction to the Emperor's blessed ordnance? And the bolter emplacements. I'm sure Corporal Galemar would appreciate the use of half that pile of delicious--- useful ordnance"

Doc Kraken
2013-11-29, 06:59 AM
"Oooh, err..." Galemar's eyes light up with a mixture of excitement and dread. "Yeah. Yeah, I think I could do something with that. Maybe we take two of them to work on their boss, and you get three? And half the entrenching tools, of course. Gotta spread the Departmento's generosity around. That should be enough to put the device down, right?"

ArcturusV
2013-11-29, 07:13 AM
Lukan got up, looking over the crates and pulling up one of the entrenching tools, "... I'm really going to dig this mission," he said with a little smile. He handed the tool over to Samara, who rolled her eyes and muttered a sarcastic thanks for being regulated to digging duty. He looked over the rest of the gear, shaking his head at the disappointment of not getting his lances. So much for the wild idea of riding one of the nobs and lancing the warboss in the face...

Caimheul
2013-11-29, 09:58 AM
Anastasia makes her way forward to snag one of the the signallers, her firebombs, and an entrenching tool. "Unless you lot have hidden depths, more likely you'd fire the launchers backwards anyway. Less likely to get friendly fire with these." she says hefting the tool.

Recalcitrent
2013-11-29, 10:07 AM
"The stormtrooper is probably right. None of this lot is even rated for the launchers anyways, we'd likely just be wasting our time using one without being trained." Zacharia says ruefully, grabbing the second vox signaller, as well as one of the plentiful entrenchment tools.

tigerusthegreat
2013-11-29, 10:08 AM
"The Valkyries lift off in thirty minutes."

ImperatorV
2013-11-29, 11:25 AM
Casmirre gives a resigned shrug and picks up a shovel, then walks to the landing pad.

LeSwordfish
2013-11-29, 11:41 AM
Mag slapped his hands on his knees and stood.

"We're not going to get anywhere if we're not on them." He said needlessly, and slung his kitbag over his shoulder. "If I don't see the rest of you gentlemen before we're back here covered in glory, then bag one for me. I'm sure you'll miss the cannon where you're going."

H made a mental note to check his cold-weather gear. He hated the cold.

Recalcitrent
2013-11-29, 12:19 PM
"If that is all, sir, I will take my leave and head to the Valkyries. Guardsmen Magnus, Gabler, Lukan, Samara, Galemar, and Derax you will accompany Stormtrooper Anastasia, and will handle Boss Raj Raj. Guardsmen Ever, Barbarella, Casmirr, Shandra, and I will escort the honored Techpriest to the progenesis device, and protect him while he ensures its destruction. We have less than 30 minutes, so I suggest we get moving." Zacharia declares.
""In the name of the Emperor." intones Shandra, as she follows Zacharia out of the briefing room.

Revanus
2013-11-29, 12:48 PM
Ever heads up to the front, grabbing two shovels and handing Barbi one of them.

Barbi, meanwhile, tosses Ever the kit of Imperial Guard Standard Issue Field Sutures, which he slides into a special medikit compartment.

Next, they head back to the barracks, don their armor and cold weather gear, and grab the rest of their kit.

They make it out onto the tarmac with time to spare. They saddle up next to the Sgt., and strap in for the drop.

Fibinachi
2013-11-29, 01:13 PM
"Excellent, just enough time to mutter the rituals of Benevolent Skies and tighten that rivet over in maintenance shaft 18-B. Can't leave the nuts and bolts! Oh, and file the gears down in section 238D..."

No one seemed apt to take pause at Torque's display of humor. Drat, that one had always been so popular with the tech-initiates. Puzzling. Didn't anyone here know the standard Librisiam Arklan system for categorizing sections didn't approach the D series before well into the fourth numeral?

"... Erh. Yes. 30 minutes. I shall go rouse Fulcrum, and prepare myself. I shall, however, be forced to make one mild amendment, Sergeant. I am not yet a full Tech-Priest. Hopefully, one day I shall claim that honor, and maybe even be fit to recieve the blessed cogitator implant. My potentia coil bristles with anticipation of the day my brain is.... Erh. Nevermind. You will not be escorting me, you will be escorting the Emperor's ordnance towards its intended destination. I shall endeavour to remain both unobtrusive and as silent as well oiled Leman Russ."

Something deep inside the robes of the enginseer emited a brief, high pitched whine.

"That may have been an unapt application of idiom. Nonetheless, this is a mission of mercy, not a forced stewardship of my dendrites. Praise the Omnissah, I shall demolish and you shall "Bag some greenskins"."

Somewhere beneath the bolted on respirator, Torque could have been smiling.
While talking, taking great effort to sound cautionously optimistic, Torque grabbed one of the entrenching tools with a brief mental command to the clawed utility mechandrite before politely hovering around to await any final words from anyone.

Once the final information has been exchanged, Torque will gather up 3 of the demolitons charges and proceed to go rouse Fulcrum, before gathering the remnants of wargear. And then lit some incense in front of the Valkyrie and very reverently polish its wings.

ArcturusV
2013-11-29, 03:04 PM
Taking down the leader. It was a worthy mission, should get Samara off his back for a bit if they're successful, maybe pin a nice little badge on his uniform. He shrugged, gesturing for her to fall in and roll out with him. He was pretty quick and efficient as he headed back to his barracks with her, grabbing up the rest of his kit, including the cold weather gear, and making sure that she still had all her kit as well. He took a brief moment to check over his gear, utter the litanies properly, and strap it into position where it wouldn't interfere with the grav-chute, nice and secure against the drop. He took a moment to check over Samara's gear, check his chrono... just barely enough time as he headed out, ready to hit the Valkyrie hanger with just 4 minutes to spare.

Doc Kraken
2013-11-29, 05:03 PM
"Sir!" Galemar snaps off a couple of salutes, one to each officer, before gingerly picking up one of the demolition charges. "I'll, ah, I'll grab this one...Jet, you got room for the other in your pack?"

"Yeah, I really want to carry one of the building-destroying explosives. That'll really come in handy when I'm being shot at." Derax grumbles...but she takes one all the same. She also grabs a pair of entrenching tools, passing one to Galemar. They exit the room, Derax silent and contemplative, Galemar excited and babbling. Twenty-five minutes later, they enter the Valkyrie hangar in much the same manner.

"...just saying, right, that maybe we ought to think about this a little more. Just so that we're prepared, right? I mean, this Raj Raj thing's got an Astartes helmet around his neck. That's a pretty big deal, don't you think? I mean, if he killed the Marine, that's something we ought to think about. Maybe he's what we ought to call down the thunder on, you know? I mean, I'm not saying we're not tough. 'Cause we're the toughest. But that's one of the Emperor's Angels of Death we're talking about here."

"Maybe it found the helmet somewhere." Derax mutters, looking none too happy. Galemar shook his head.

"So then he's a smart ork. And that's not good either, is it? I didn't think that could even happen. If - " he pauses, noticing Lukan moving toward the Valkyrie as well. "Hey! Vasburg! What do you think about this ork leader? I mean, it's huge, right? And it's got that Astartes trophy. I'm starting to think we ought to just call in the big guns as soon as we spot it, you know?"

ArcturusV
2013-11-29, 05:24 PM
Lukan shrugged, "They tell us that Orks are about 3 feet tall, if I remember my Primer correctly. Consider that. Helmet ain't big enough to even fit on your skull, much less one of the Death Angels. Probably ripped it off some figurine or shrine to the Emperor and his Angels. Defacing the Emperor's divinity... sounds like something a xeno would do." He shook his head and cracked a bit of a smile, "Only thing I'm afraid of is that they might hit one of us through sheer volume of fire. Rustbucket like that don't look like it could kill me on purpose..." he drew out his las pistol, making a mocking, well aimed two handed shot at some spot about 3 feet in the air and twenty away, "Bam, right in the eye, burn it down that easy." He stowed his weapon once more, clipping it on.

Samara saddles up near Derax, "Gotta lho-stick?" she asked, looking a bit uneasy as she waited to mount up on the valkyrie. "Settles my nerves a bit. Looks like you could use it too. Share?"

Doc Kraken
2013-11-29, 06:12 PM
We have laspistols?

"Better not let that storm trooper catch you wasting charge," Galemar smirks. "She'll have you navigating the Valkyrie from a wing." He walks up the ramp, taking a firm grip on a handhold and checking his grav-chute. "Bloody detailed statue, if that's what happened. I guess you'd get the best to carve one of those, though, right? Come to think of it, the xeno'd have to break something pretty important for a carving that good. Guess that's a point back for the artillery..." He pauses for a second, then shakes his head. "Nah, three feet tall? A good couple of grenades ought to deal with it, boss or no boss."

Derax raises an eyebrow at Samara's request. "You want to light up next to Corporal Blast Radius over there?" She fishes around in her webbing, coming up with a dog-eared lho before stowing it away in the side of the helmet. "After the mission, Vasburg. Trust me. It'll be safer that way."

Recalcitrent
2013-11-29, 09:56 PM
Gearing up took a bit less time than he had thought. I've got time. he thought. Taking a seat on his bunk, Zacharia lights up a lho-stick and starts stretching out his left knee. It had been getting stiff recently, and he couldnt afford to hit the ground and have something go wrong. Fortunately, the stiffness wasn't very persistent as of yet. After a couple of minutes his knee was as good as new, and as long as he flexed it occasionally, it should stay loose. Standing up, he started lashing himself into his grav-chute. Half-way through, Shandra entered into his quarters.

"Still not ready yet, sergeant?" she said with a grin.

"Not all of us are over-achievers, adjutant. And if you are so worried about it, how about you help lash me into this, so our squad isnt left with a red stain instead of their sergeant when we land?"

Shandra starts to assist the aging sergeant. "The Emperor protects, sir." she said with conviction.
"You dont get to be as old as I am in the Guard without realizing that, adjutant. You also realize that the Emperor seems to protect the prepared far more than the unprepared. Thats good, adjutant, thank you." Zacharia says, his grav-chute well fastened. "Now, we only have ten more minutes before our Valkyries leave. Best not rush more than we have to."

Zacharia and Shandra walk onto the Valkyrie tarmac with seven minutes to spare. Believing in "first into combat, last into the Valkyrie," Zacharia waits until all of his soldiers are accounted for before boarding and strapping himself into the Valkyrie, taking the first drop position for himself, an unlit lho-stick in his teeth.

tigerusthegreat
2013-11-29, 10:47 PM
The Valkyries are loaded up and cast off from the base. You can't see much during the two hours trip, as the Valkyrie is not designed for tourism, and the hatch is kept sealed until landing. While you all have your grav chutes, the plan is to land.

(Those fighting Boss Raj Raj your thread is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317215). Those going to the machine continue in this thread).

There is an increased amount of chatter coming from the pilots. Then several loud thuds hit the outside of the ship. An alarm sounds in the bay, and the pilot's voice comes over the vox. "We are under heavy fire from multiple emplacements. These shouldn't be here, we're too far south for any of their guns." The Valkyrie shakes. "We just lost an engine. Dropping the ramp, you guys will have to jump." The ramp drops, and you can see the bolter fire coming from several emplacements on the ground. You can see dozens of ork manning each of the guns. A gout of flame comes flying to the Valkyrie, showing that they have rocket launchers as well. The Valkyrie is flying much faster than is safe for a jump.

Revanus
2013-11-29, 11:01 PM
Ever unbuckles his flight harness and inches towards the lowering ramp, keeping a firm grip on the tension line to keep from spilling out of the opening hatchway.

Barbi follows suit.

Better out than in...

Ever then glances towards Zacharia.

"Looks pretty fast for a jump. It would be good if we could clear those gun emplacements--coming down on the wrong side would be hell. Orders, Sarge?"

Recalcitrent
2013-11-29, 11:14 PM
Unbuckling himself, Zacharia responds. "Well, lets see what our host has to say, Ever. We may have to make the jump regardless. Everyone make ready to jump." Zacharia yells to be heard over the rushing air."Pilot, any chance you can clear those emplacements? We drop now, we'll probably just stain the snow red."

tigerusthegreat
2013-11-29, 11:35 PM
Flares shoot out the back, distracting the missile. "Those were our last flares. If we get hit again, we are going down. You jump now or we abort this mission."

Recalcitrent
2013-11-29, 11:40 PM
"Alright boys and girls, time to meet the Emperor!"
With that, Zacharia jumps out of the Valkyrie.

Revanus
2013-11-29, 11:58 PM
Ever practically shoves Barbi out the open hatch. He then jumps down right after her.

As he plummets, Ever settles into his training. He angles his grab-chute and attempts to assert some control over his descent.

Operate (Aero):
[roll0] vs.

Mindful of his billowing camo cloak, he hopes the shadowy fabric will hide him from the eyes and sights of the Ork gunners below.

Stealth:
[roll1] vs. 51

As he falls, he triggers his micro bead.

"We should all shoot for a common landing zone. We want to make it north of the gun emplacements."

Ever scans the landscape below to find a good, safe, and easily identifiable LZ.

[roll2] vs. 41

Revanus
2013-11-30, 12:00 AM
(I'm not sure how many of these rolls are necessary. If the operate (aero) roll is required and doesn't get a natural retest, here is a FP reroll:

[roll]1d100[/reroll] vs. 51

Recalcitrent
2013-11-30, 12:01 AM
Forgot to test Operation :smalltongue:
Grav-chute usage (Operations (Aeronautica)) [roll0] vs 44 (+20 Droptroops, -10 high-speed jump, 34 Agility)

Edit: Ouch, five degrees of failure. I'm going to use a Fate Point to re-roll my Operations test.

Recalcitrent
2013-11-30, 12:12 AM
Grav-chute usage: Operations (Aeronautica) [roll0] vs 44 (+20 Droptroops, -10 high speed jump, 34 Agility)

Edit: :smalleek: Six degrees of failure this time. Well, landing is going to suck. I think the sarge has met his end already, even with Catfall.

Fibinachi
2013-11-30, 01:45 PM
"Sergeant! We can't leave the Emperor's machinery while it suffer--"

Servitor Fulcrum rose like a silent, cybernetic shadow. Weighed down by the essentials for the mission, the massive servitor lurched towards the open hatch with one meaty hand clenched around Torque's sleeve and proceeded to toss the enginseer out the valkyrie and into the open, bolter filled skies. With a voice more static than sound it made a brief acknowledgement before jumping out the beleagured aeroplane - "Order accepted, Sergeant. Exiting vehicle." - to follow the enginseer.
--

That same enginseer was doing a masterful impersonation of a standard Imperial missile, hurtling towards the ground with increasing speed. The grav-chute strapped to the red robes were turning the descent into more of a diagonal line, its ancient powersource struggling to cope with the flenshing wind and turbulence. Torque's skin felt cold in the spots that weren't metal, a disturbing sensation. Should consider acquiring better insulation.

"We should all shoot for a common landing zone. We want to make it north of the gun emplacements."

"Acknowledged. Am attempting to course correct."

Tumbling through the air, robes and cloak whipping about, Torque tapped into the power unit of the grav-chute and politely requested it to increase output by eleven percent to accomodate certain design pitfalls in the standard enginseer augmentation. Namely the lack of aerodynamic foresight and increased metal density. It took some convincing, but gradually as the ground approached, Torque's descent turned into a more controlled affair.

[roll]d100[roll] - perception (32) for the sake of spotting the landing zone

Revanus
2013-11-30, 05:27 PM
Ever hits the ground. Hard.

He rolls to cushion the blow, as he learned to do in training. Dusting himself off, he notices Barbi staring at him bemusedly.

Ever shakes his head and draws his lascarbine, heading for the nearest cover. He motions for Barbi to do the same. Obediently, she follows.

He then glances around to try and get his bearings.

Where am I? Did the rest of the squad come down okay? Are they nearby? How close are the Orks...

Awareness:
[roll0] vs. 29

Stealth (part of movement to cover):
[roll1] vs. 31

OOC:I figured this sort of post shouldn't harm whatever the GM is cooking up for us, and helps keep the thread alive. If it turns out Ever is about to land on top of a pile of Orks, as opposed to an open field, I'll retcon appropriately ;).

Recalcitrent
2013-11-30, 06:26 PM
Just as he jumped, Zacharia's knee gave out, so his controlled jump turned into a tumbling dive. Around and around, sky, ground, sky, ground, alternating before his eyes. It was so disorienting that the sergeant was nearly past the point of a safe landing by the time he could start correcting himself, but eventually the sky and ground slowed their revolutions, and Zacharia regains control.

Gah! Last time I jump out of a too fast Valkyrie! Zacharia thinks, knowing full well that would not be true.

"Good idea, doc. I dont know much help I'm going to be, though, I'm still a bit dizzy, so I'm giving you authority to pick our landing zone." Zacharia says as he scans the ground, his head still spinning.

Awareness test [roll0] Perception: 32

tigerusthegreat
2013-11-30, 07:44 PM
The hurried evacuation of the Valkyrie has at least ended with everyone safely on the ground. Unfortunately you are scattered.

(assume your comrades land with you)

Zacharie loses all sight of the others, and lands hard in the snow, nearly killing himself in the process. Shaking himself to his senses, he sees two ork nearby. One slams a round into the rocket launcher held by the other, and they take aim at the smoking Valkyrie, as it turns to head back to base.

Ever hits the snowpack at gentle pace, able to shake himself free very quickly. No Ork appear nearby. Second later Torque lands nearby, not nearly as gracefully, with his servitor. Had there been any Ork around, the noise would have surely attracted them. However, none are near enough to you.

Casmirre lands softly in the snowpack with little troubles, except for the four ork operating a heavy bolter emplacement. They are firmly involved in shooting down the Valkyrie and don't notice you.

ImperatorV
2013-11-30, 08:02 PM
I rolled in the OOC thread.

Revanus
2013-11-30, 10:02 PM
Ever looks around, waving to Torque as he comes down. He then triggers his micro bead.

<Spc. Hazok and Flur, reporting in. Enginseer has landed in sight. No contacts.>

Ever glances around, attempting to glean where he landed and where they should head next.

<Location indeterminate.>

Navigate:
[roll0] vs. 41

Recalcitrent
2013-11-30, 10:11 PM
<Squad, ork rocket launcher team, on my position, and I am engaging! If you can find me, help would be appreciated!> Zacharia hisses into his micro-bead, as he and Shandra draw their lascarbines, and open fire on the two orks.

Initiative: [roll0]

Half action to ready my lascarbine, half action Standard Attack against the rocket launcher wielding ork. Shandra readies her lascarbine and uses a Ranged Volly against the ork with the launcher.

33 BS + 10 Short Range +10 Standard Attack +5 Ranged Volley +30 Surprise Round = 88

Attack Roll: [roll1] vs 88

Damage Roll: [roll2] Energy Damage. Using Overload to increase damage by 2 and add 2 Pen, but gain Unreliable and cost 4 ammo.

Righteous Fury: [roll3]

Ammo: 56/60

tigerusthegreat
2013-11-30, 10:26 PM
Zacharia's first shots nail the ork with the launcher squarely (9 damage to body with 2 pen - 0 armor (2 reduced by pen) - 4 toughness = 5 damage. Ork hp: 7/12), scorching his chest. They react slowly, allowing Zacharia another chance to land a shot.

(Translation: surprise round over, you won initiative)

Somewhere else, Ever has no idea where he is, where their original dropzone is, or where the others got scattered to.

Revanus
2013-11-30, 10:31 PM
Frak!

There could be nothing worse than getting into a firefight while separated from the rest of the squad.

<Enginseer, can you triangulate the Sarge's position based on his broadcast?>

Ever tries to listen for any sounds of battle.

Awareness:
[roll0] vs. 29

tigerusthegreat
2013-11-30, 10:38 PM
Ever realizes why the let the Sarge be in charge, trying to find the others is proving very difficult. Hopefully the Enginseer can find them.

Recalcitrent
2013-11-30, 10:55 PM
"By the Emperor, these greenskins are tough, Shandra. He just took an overcharged lasbolt to the chest, and doesnt seem fazed!" the sergeant grunts to his adjutant.
"We wouldn't have been sent do deal with them if they were pushovers, sir." Shandra calmly says, though her face is pale. She is more frightened than she is letting on.
"Well, lets see what it DOES takes to push them over." Zacharia says, as he drops to one knee, takes aim, and pulls the trigger.

Half action to Aim, Half action Standard Attack. Shandra uses Ranged Volley again.

33 BS +10 Short Range +10 Standard Attack +10 Aim +5 Ranged Volley= 68

Attack Roll: [roll0] vs 68

Damage Roll: [roll1] Energy Damage. Using Overcharge again.
Edit: I'll trade my Damage roll for my Degrees of Success, giving me 7+5 for 12 damage.

Righteous Fury: [roll2]

Ammo: 52/60

tigerusthegreat
2013-11-30, 11:16 PM
The second shot nails the ork in the chest again, and he falls with a smoking crater where his heart was, blood staining the snow. However, now the second ork finally reacts, and produces a chunk of metal with a trigger and spikey bits all over it. It seems like a bolter of some sort, but it is hard to tell with ork guns. It opens up on you (BS 24 + 10 range + 10 standard attack = 44 - 30 chamoline coating = 14 vs 04 = Body hit. Damage: 5 - 4 armor, -3 toughness = no damage), and a round connects, but your armor takes most of it, what is left doesn't pierce your skin.

Revanus
2013-11-30, 11:21 PM
Ever glances around. Barbi nudges him.

"Where did everyone go?" she whispers.

Ever shrugs.

"Let's try to head back to the LZ and find the tech priest. He couldn't have gotten far.", he whispers back.

I hope.

Ever triggers his micro bead again. Quietly, he speaks.

<Enginseer, you are out of sight. Let's link up and find the Sarge. I am moving back to the LZ. Try to find my com signal.>

Las-carbine's at the ready, the two of them attempt to head back the way they came, taking advantage of cover and concealment in case of danger.

Stealth:
[roll0] vs. 51

Awareness (to spot Enginseer or enemies in vicinity):
[roll1] vs. 29

Navigate (to find original LZ):
[roll2] vs. 41

Recalcitrent
2013-11-30, 11:27 PM
"Zach! Are you alright?!"
"Ooof! Those guns, *hack* those guns dont mess around *cough cough*. I'm fine, though, just winded. Keep firing." Zacharia says, his lho-stick hanging from a precarious angle, no longer firmly gripped by the sergeants teeth, as he takes aim again and fires twice at the remaining ork.

Half action Aim, half action Semi-Auto Burst. Shandra Ranged Volly again. Overcharged shots again.

33 BS +10 Short Range +10 Aim +5 Volley= 58

Attack Roll: [roll0] vs 58

Damage Roll:
1 DoS [roll1]
3 DoS [roll2]

RF:
[roll3]
[roll4]

Ammo: 44/50

tigerusthegreat
2013-11-30, 11:31 PM
The burst of fire turns the orc into a bloody patch of snow, bolter rounds tearing through ork flesh. Out of the corner of your eye, you see the Valkyrie disappear over the horizon, smoking badly, but out of immediate danger.

Recalcitrent
2013-11-30, 11:45 PM
"Good. Our ride escaped." <Squad, ork rocket team eliminated. Do you have any idea as to your position?> Zacharia asks over the micro-bead, while he scans his surroundings, trying to find how far off their original LZ he is, his lho-stick back to its customary position.

Navigate (Surface):[roll0] vs 30

Revanus
2013-12-01, 12:14 AM
Ever looks around, to observe his general surroundings.

Revanus
2013-12-01, 01:19 AM
Navigate roll (to guide the Sarge successfully to Ever's position):
[roll0] vs. 41

<We're in the middle of a small, snowy clearing. I'd estimate it's a quarter-click north from the Ork emplacement. There's forest to the southwest, and a mountain peak to the north-east.>

Fibinachi
2013-12-01, 07:48 AM
Torque's head wouldn't stop buzzing, some weird, rhythmic static filling up his skull. Scrabbling with shredded hands to pull himself out of the snow all around, the enginseer managed to regain his feet, and with it, a chance to adjust the microbead embedded in what passed for his ear. The impact had knocked it loose, along with Torque's teeth and sense of solidity.

Shkrha hashafrroo<up and find the Sarge...>

<This is Enginseer Torque. I am trying to triangulate your position. The impact momentarily concussed me. I apologize for the frailty of the flesh. What is the status of our Valkyrie transport?>

Servitor Fulcrum hovered nearby, silently scanning the drifts of snow for signs of anything awry. It held out the sanctioned regimental lascarbine for Torque, who accepted it. Thus armed, and only mildly hampered by the headache that was starting up, Torque and Fulcrum left their crash site. The signal emanations from the squad would be confined to a local area, and the broadcast itself was still clearly audible, which was a mark of approval upon its blessed design.

<I pray everyone exited safely. Remain stationary, then Medic Hazok and I should be able to locate each other. I confess confusion at the lay of the land. Tactical query: Did the Greenskins notice our descent?>

That would complicate matters somewhat. Best locate the other people nearby with weapons not intended to be aimed at Torque as swiftly as possible. Screeching a command to Fulcrum, the enginseer set out across the snow, trying to triangulate squad landing zones.

Torque would like to try tech-use, to try and use his data-slate to check up on the local area - supposing the squad were given some rudimenary orbital imagery of the landing zone or other such information, such as the pictures the dread Braxlon were using to point out zones.
vs 62 (Possibly just an automatic "Information available / information unavailable")

Logic, to try and mentally figure out the trajectories of his squadmates and their possible landing zones, based on the microbead range still working and everyone landing in more or less the same area
[roll1] vs 42 (Possibly -20, because it's a hard puzzle with lots of missing information. Possibly +20, because maps and microbead equipment help!)

Navigate, to get there and because it might help!
[roll2] vs 22 (Possibly +10/+20 if data-slate has maps)

Perception, to have a glance around and see if any landmarks are useful for navigation with (And if anything nearby looks like the stuff from any satelite imagery)
[roll]100 32

Recalcitrent
2013-12-01, 08:37 AM
<Well, the two greenies whose laps Shandra and I fell into seemed surprised to see us, so I think, for the moment, our presence is unknown. They're tough though. It took at least two overcharged lasbolts apiece to take them out. I think Lukan's Primer may have been slightly mistaken, saying these orks are only 3 feet tall and cowardly. These greenskins have to be at least two and a half meters tall, and didnt seem scared at all. Fortunately, their armor seems pretty lack-luster, so our lascarbines should do the job. Also, the Valkyrie made it out without further damage, so you can allay your fears, enginseer.> Sergeant Holt voiced over the micro-bead. <We are going to hold our position until we get a better idea of where everyone is. I'd rather not blunder into another group of these orks without proper squad support.>
Crouching down, the sergeant quickly lights up his lho-stick in victory, thinking I'm too old for this fething business. as he scans the area, looking for any of the landmarks the medic had been calling out on the micro-bead.

ImperatorV
2013-12-01, 10:06 AM
Well, Casmirre will attempt to link up with the others.

Navigate(surface): [roll0] vs 28

Stealth: [roll1] vs 35

Awareness: [roll2] vs 20

tigerusthegreat
2013-12-01, 11:10 AM
The Sarge spots a likely location that Ever is broadcasting from. There do not appear to be any ork between him and that position (not that any more would be a problem for the sarge).

Torque works on figuring out their position relative the maps that had been provided. Judging by the landmarks, Valkyrie's course, and dozens of other factors, they have come down several kilometers west of their intended landing zone. Since the Valkyrie was turning to the West when they jumped, they were likely strung out over a few hundred meters, with himself and Ever jumping as the Valkyrie turned, and coming down together. That would mean the Sarge would be closest, coming from the West, and Casmierre would be further off to the West of their position.

Casmierre begins heading away from the ork emplacement, but makes slightly too much noise. One of the ork notices him, and begins staring at his position.

Recalcitrent
2013-12-01, 11:18 AM
<I think I can see where you are. Shandra and I are on our way.>

34 Agility -20 Untrained +20 Chameleoline

Stealth: [roll0] vs 34

Revanus
2013-12-01, 12:27 PM
<Roger that. Keeping eyes peeled.>

Awareness (to spot sarge as he arrives, as well as any danger):
[roll0] vs. 29

ImperatorV
2013-12-01, 02:34 PM
Casmirre stops dead.

Oh, ****

You said four orks? Hmmm... The way you phrased it it sounds like the ork notices something, but doesn't know what it is.

Full action aim, target: the ork that is looking at him.

Stealth to hide while aiming: [roll0] vs 55 (35 Ag +20 Cameleone)

Actually, I think that this is an opposed check. Not 100% sure how those work.

tigerusthegreat
2013-12-01, 02:50 PM
The Sarge arrives, sneaking up on Ever and nearly causing a heart attack.

The ork that was looking for Casmirre, looks around confused, before one of the other orks yells at him, and he begins to help reloading the heavy bolter. (Translation: you won the opposed check)

Fibinachi
2013-12-01, 05:56 PM
Thanking the data-slate quietly for its efficiency in displaying maps, Torque adjusted his microbead and waited for a pause in communications.

<I have ascertained our flight exit trajectory. The xeno anti air screen placed us off course, by some factor westward. Closer to possible gun embankments than intended. Repeat: We are away from the original landing zone, westward. Corporal Casmirre, do you read? You are west of our location, closer to the gun emplacements still. The probability of encountering orcs remain high. As we are nearer their equipment, patrols would likewise be more common. I am reconnecting with the Sergeant now. Sergeant Zacharia, sir, do we relieve Casmirre or wait?>

Was there a proper protocol for finishing an information-exchange over coms? Torque didn't know. Certainly, the Ritual of Frequency Change would be far too long. Yet, a long time ago, he might have known what to say, as a military-obsessed boy dreaming of glory and stars, fed on vidscreens and terrible novelizations of Imperial victories. Something like "Over" or "Jolly good" or "Up and at 'em!". Undecided, Torque settled for silence, broken only by the crushing of ice and snow as he moved west to catch up with the other four guardsmen.

ImperatorV
2013-12-01, 07:27 PM
With the orks otherwise engaged, Casmirre decides to cut and run.

Stealth to escape: [roll0] vs 55.

tigerusthegreat
2013-12-01, 07:43 PM
Casmirre sneaks away, with the orks busy trying to hit the now escaping Valkyrie.

Revanus
2013-12-01, 09:16 PM
Barbi jumps a bit when she notices Zacharia standing behind her. She then taps Ever on the shoulder, leaving him to twirl around with his gun raised high.

When he sees his comrades behind him, he quickly lowers his weapon.

"Oh. You found us. Good. Err...what now, Sarge?"

Barbi chimes in, color slowly returning to her face.

"Uh...anyone hurt?"

ImperatorV
2013-12-01, 09:33 PM
More rolls.

Navigate(Surface) to find the rest of the squad [roll0] vs 28

Stealth to avoid being spotted again [roll1] vs 55

Awareness to keep an eye out for orks as well as the squad [roll2] vs 20

Recalcitrent
2013-12-01, 10:52 PM
"For the moment, we need to find Guardsman Casmirre, or his body, depending on if he is alive. You said he probably landed further west than the rest of us, towards the ork emplacments, enginseer? Zacharia asks, but before he even gets an answer, he starts talking over the micro-bead <Casmirre, if you can hear this, acknowledge. Over.> Zacharia says as he finally starts using some proper communication protocols.
"Thank you, corpsman, but I'm fine. My armour managed to handle the hit I took earlier."
"I too am fine, Barbi, thank you."

tigerusthegreat
2013-12-01, 11:08 PM
Casmier gets away from the orks manning the heavy bolter, only to find himself mere meters from an ork trudging through the snow. He looks very surprised to see you.

You are 7 meters away from each other.

[roll0]

ImperatorV
2013-12-02, 07:50 AM
:facedesk:

Init [roll0]

ImperatorV
2013-12-02, 08:05 AM
Lol, the Emperor does indeed protect.

Double tap, two standard attacks (with the shotgun).

Attack 1: [roll0] vs 83 (43 BS, +30 point blank range, +10 standard attack)
Attack 2: [roll1] vs 83

Damage 1: [roll2]
Damage 2: [roll3]

Fibinachi
2013-12-02, 12:27 PM
"Excellent. Seems the Standard Guardsman Flak Armor once again proves its superior mettle. Our missing Corporal should be West of here. Undoubtedly, not in trouble"

[roll0] vs 32 to hear the sharp retorts of a shotgun :smallwink:

"Maps inform me our original landing zone was kilometers away. I suggest we either move towards the Progenesis device and euthanize it, then return here, or we attempt to disable the gun emplacements and assure a distraction before moving in on the device itself. Possibly, we can plant a single explosive near a gun emplacement to explode and call attention to the perimeter while we move in on the device."

[roll1] vs 42, for Common Lores of Tech. Is there a rite or a ritual to render a heavy bolter emplacement inoperable?[roll2] vs 37, for Forbidden Lores of the Adeptus Mechanicus - is there a backdoor or an observance generally unknown that could aid in disabling the guns? (Such as specific knowledge of the fact that if you cut the red wires, the targetting goes wild, or if anyone intones a specific mantra and hits the "free fire" switch, the heavy bolters fire wildly)

Edit: "Adeptus Mechanicus? That some kind of exotic dish?

Torque slipped into silence as his eyes wandered over to to the dents in Zacharia's armor, fresh stains of violence on otherwise unmarred equipment. Guardsmen! Such tribulations they were. The mechandrite hovering near Torque switched rapidly through a selection of tools, and the Enginseer took a few steps forward.

"Stand still while you deliberate, Sergeant. I shall just attend to those dents"

Recalcitrent
2013-12-02, 07:24 PM
"I'm concerned about Casmirre's silence. I think we should at least start heading west to try and find him if we don't hear from him soon. I'll give it another five minutes at most. For all we know, he is having to avoid orks at the moment. Meanwhile, I am open to suggestions on how we proceed with our mission."

Perception: [roll0] vs 32 to hear the shotgun
Edit: Dang, I dun goofed. :smalltongue:

Recalcitrent
2013-12-02, 07:26 PM
Perception: [roll0] vs 32 to hear the shotgun

tigerusthegreat
2013-12-02, 08:04 PM
Torque knows a Rite to disable a heavy bolter. It involves taking a tool and making an up and down motion with it in the hopper of the gun, which should render it inoperable until a Rite of Repair is performed on it. Of course, the Rite of clicking the safety on will probably confuse the orks for a while with no real damage to the gun.

Casmier fires his shotgun, giving the ork two solid bursts of shot. The first shot hits the ork in the head, apparently missing anything vital as it does no damage. The second shot catches him in the gut, causing him to bleed a little (5 damage, 7 remaining).

The ork raises his choppa and runs at Casmier. However, Casmier's comrade gets in the way of the choppa, taking a nasty cut across the chest.

ImperatorV
2013-12-02, 09:43 PM
Whoah... Poor guy. I forgot he existed.

Casmirre takes a half-action aim and fires over his comrade's head.

[roll0]. Vs 93

tigerusthegreat
2013-12-02, 10:08 PM
Casmirre's shotgun blast catches the ork in the body, but the ork takes the shot in stride. Swinging his mighty Choppa down to decapitate the poor wounded comrade. He roars "WAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!" echoing through the valley.

Back where the others have grouped, they can hear the cry, which is probably drawing every ork for a kilometer.

Recalcitrent
2013-12-02, 10:16 PM
"Feth! Thats gotta be Casmirre." <Casmirre, we are on our way, just hold out if you can> "Alright, time to spill some ork blood!" Zacharia says, as he hustles towards where the ork's yell came from.

Fibinachi
2013-12-02, 10:57 PM
"Sergeant, this somewhat compromises our position. It would be more expedient to let Corporal Casmirre distract the Orks while we move on the Device."

Torque adjusted his robe and broke into a trot, keeping close to the sergeant. Expediency might be one thing, but he had received quite strict instructions to follow the orders of the acting officer.

Besides, true enough, if the unfortunate Casmirre and his mysteries died in the snow, the corporal would leave behind such artifacts as his blessed lascarbine and armor. Just leaving that equipment lying in ork-infested areas would be a terrible offense to the machine spirits. Couldn't risk that. Weathering incense shortages and damage to the valkyries was all bearable, but abandoning equipment to the enemy? Unthinkable.

Enginseer Torque grit what remained of his teeth and ran faster.

Recalcitrent
2013-12-02, 11:07 PM
"As expedient as it may be, I will not be abandoning a soldier under my command as long as I can help." the sergeant growls. Damn enginseers. I can never quite get used to their heartless efficiency.
Shandra wordlessly follows the sergeant, not having anything to say, or perhaps merely saving her breath for running.

Revanus
2013-12-02, 11:35 PM
Ever and Barbi hoof it along, following behind the sarge in single file, lasguns at the ready.

They follow in the Sarge's exact footsteps, just in case of booby traps.

In unknown territory, assume every step is mined.

Awareness:
[roll0] vs. 29

Stealth:
[roll1] vs. 51

ImperatorV
2013-12-03, 07:47 AM
Emperor damn it, I didn't even know his name.

Quick draw las carbine. Overcharge. Half action aim. Dual wield shot.

Shotgun
[roll0] vs 73
Damage [roll1]

Las carbine
[roll2] vs 83
Damage [roll3]

Die Xeno Scum!

I hope...

tigerusthegreat
2013-12-03, 09:53 AM
Casimere's akimbo shots catch the ork in the head and right arm. The shots draw blood, but not nearly enough of it (3 damage each, for 1 wound remaining). The ork strikes back, giving Casimere a choppa to the head. The helmet takes part of the blow, but the choppa cuts right through it (11 damage - 2 armor (due to 2 penetration) = 9 damage. 2 wounds remain). Casimere is badly injured, and another blow like that will be the end.

The rest of the squad sees many black blobs moving across the landscape. Its clear they don't know exactly where the warcry came from, but they have all abandoned their guns to try to find it. There are three black dots ahead of you, moving fast in the same direction you are.

ImperatorV
2013-12-03, 11:26 AM
Lascarbine into overload (gains unreliable, +2 damage, uses 4 amo per shot), half action aim, standard attack.

shotgun: [roll0] vs 53
Damage [roll]1d10+4

Lascarbine: [roll1] vs 63
Damage [roll2]

Edit: apparently, can't fire guns in melee. Ignore. Will have to read up on melee rules so I can figure out how the warp I'm supposed to survive this.

Revanus
2013-12-03, 03:30 PM
Ever sees the massive numbers of blobs heading in the same direction as they are.

It doesn't seem like a good omen.

Upon spying the Orks ahead of them, Ever brings up his lascarbine and stops moving. Barbi follows suit.

He whispers into his micro bead.

<Sir...they're swarming. I don't think one man can survive this onslaught.>

Barbi chimes in.

<Maybe...maybe, we should head to the objective?>

Ever tosses a glance over his shoulder, to make sure they aren't about to be cut off by a bunch of Orks to their rear.

He then returns his glance to the Orks ahead, knuckles white as he clenches his carbine's grip.

Don't shoot unless you have to...

Stealth:
[roll0] vs. 51

Awareness (if necessary to see behind, despite earlier awareness success):
[roll1] vs. 29

Recalcitrent
2013-12-03, 05:08 PM
"By the Throne..." Zacharia whispers as he stops running, seeing the sheer numbers of xenos pouring towards the hapless guardsman's position.
"Sir, I'll follow you if you want to continue, but right now, we need to remember what is important, and that is destroying the progenesis device. If this works as a distraction for us, we need to take it."
<Casmirre, we...There is a huge horde of orks coming your way. If you can, you need to get out of there. The rest of the squad...will continue to the progenesis device. The Emperor protects.> "Squad, lets go. I'm going to wash this taste out of my mouth with the charred remnants of that progenesis device."

Revanus
2013-12-03, 05:42 PM
Ever nods, face taut under the stress of combat. Barbi lets out a small sigh of relief.

Both keep their weapons at the ready--this was a hot war zone!

Navigation (to get to the device):
[roll0] vs. 41

tigerusthegreat
2013-12-03, 05:54 PM
You leave your comrade to his fate, but such is the life of an Imperial Guardsman. The ork ahead continue on, now that you've stopped, and you soon lose sight of them. There do not appear to be any other ork around. Ever has a rough idea of the right way to go, but in truth, only just barely. They are far from their intended dropzone.

ImperatorV
2013-12-03, 07:05 PM
Casmirre staggers back, blood running down his face. His hand brushes against the shovel he pick up back at the briefing...

So glad I took quick draw. Aim, then melee attack with Munitorum battle axe.

[roll0] vs 49

Damage [roll1]

ImperatorV
2013-12-03, 07:09 PM
Fate point time. Re-roll to hit.

[roll0] vs 49

tigerusthegreat
2013-12-03, 07:37 PM
Casmiere's AXE rends the ork from head to groin. The two halves stay together for just a moment before falling to the sides, hot blood melting the snow that it stains red. The call of WAAAAGH probably has drawn every ork in the immediate area to your location, but none are visible at the moment. It might be prudent to get some distance between you and the body and hide.

ImperatorV
2013-12-03, 07:44 PM
Indeed.

Stealth [roll0] vs 55

Fibinachi
2013-12-03, 07:47 PM
Torque came to a halting stop, trusting his chameleoline cloak to render him invisible to the rapidly congregating xeno in the area. For the first time in many years, his mouth felt dry and what little remained of the original organic heart skipped a beat. It was an emotion not unlike coming across a particular illogical sample of numbers.

"I hope the lascarbine will be all right. I... was not expecting this rate of casualties on this mission. We are far from our original drop zone, and our target remains some way from here. Corporal Casmirre no doubt fought valiantly, and must be an honor to his armaments. Omnissah bless. The maps on my dataslate will allow us to locate the device, supposing navigational skills. Here... "

Fighting against a sudden trembling in his main hand, the enginseer located his data-slate and flicked rapidly through a series of orbital imagery, intending to show it to the group.

"It would appear his sacrifice have gotten the xeno in the area fired up with war-lust. If we are lucky, a brawl will break out, and they will be distracted. Led on, Sergeant. You made the logical choice."

And yet, for all the obvious truth of that statement, that odd flickering pang in Torque's chest persisted for a moment more.
At least until his systems re-calibrated, adjusting for an irregular heart rate.

tigerusthegreat
2013-12-03, 08:43 PM
Casmire slinks away from the scene of battle, leaving his decapitated comrade and the bisected orc. He narrowly avoids a horde of ork that come down nearby, but his trusty camouflage prevents the ork from seeing him. As he sneaks, fewer and fewer ork are seen. There is the sound of a party or fight coming from behind him, and he thinks he is relatively in the clear. Certainly some ork did not join the Waaaaagh, but the majority would not be able to resist the call.

ImperatorV
2013-12-03, 10:03 PM
Ok. Now, to find my way back to the others...

Navigate [roll0] vs 28

Awareness [roll1] vs 20

Stealth [roll2] vs 55

Edit: So I have no idea where I'm going, but at least I'm safe-ish for now.

tigerusthegreat
2013-12-03, 10:07 PM
Casmire continues to put distance between himself and the Orks, but is quickly lost with no idea where exactly he is. The rest of the squad might be in microbead range still, if they haven't travelled too far away from you.

ImperatorV
2013-12-03, 10:23 PM
Well, it might attract the ork's attention if they have a vox, but it's the only way I'm going to find the others.

Casmirre activates his comm-bead.

This is Corporal Casmirre Horven. Is there anyone listening?

Recalcitrent
2013-12-03, 10:36 PM
Zacharia halts as he hears a voice in his head.

This is Corporal Casmirre Horven. Is there anyone listening?

<Corporal Casmirre! You're alive, thank the Emperor! Do you know where you are? Are you wounded? Over.>

ImperatorV
2013-12-03, 10:51 PM
Had a way-to-close encounter with an ork sir. I'm wounded, but still walking. And I'm completely lost.

Revanus
2013-12-03, 11:15 PM
A wounded soldier. Time to shine...

Ever glances at Torque.

"Can you triangulate his position?"

Fibinachi
2013-12-03, 11:33 PM
"I began attempting the Ritual Of Banishing Bewilderness the moment I received his signal. Please take ten steps to your left. Trooper Shandra, if you would move 15 steps behind me."

<Corporal Casmirre, this is Enginseer Torque. Are you leaking important fluids at a rate that is unsustainable? We are attempting to locate your position. You are within the broadcast range of our micro-bead system, and somewhere West of our position. I require you to communicate as I attempt to triangulate your bearings. What is your favorite color?>

Having finished talking, Torque began turning on the spot, ever so slowly, muttering something quite incomprehensible.

And then he jacked up the burst on his microbead and broadcast a series of noise without so much as a warning. Good thing it was all internally received.

Let's be a Tech-Priest! The microbead is a local radio transmitter / receiver system within a short 1 km range. Torque is loaded up with grafts, including an cyber mantle and cranial circuitry. They have transmitters, and half his body is metal.

So... If Torque acts like a directional antenna (By turning on the spot), then we're on the same frequency, and recieving and sending to each other, and eventually one side'll be mildly less receptive than the other. Sure, it's WW 1 tech, but Torque should be able to get a vague feeling of where Casmirre is located, stronger as we approach, so long as nothing obstructs the signal, using the others as signal posts.

[roll0] Tech-Use! vs 52 (+10 for the ease of the task of transmitting loud noise, possibly))
[roll1] Logic vs 42 (To puzzle out where the bounceback is. +10 for the ease of the task, possibly)

Revanus
2013-12-04, 02:40 AM
Ever eyes Torque with slight bemusement, before turning his attention to the task at hand.

<Casmirre, this is Doc. Where were you hurt? Are you bleeding?>

In case of shock, keep the patient focused on discrete tasks...

ImperatorV
2013-12-04, 07:51 AM
I took a choppa to the head. It was bleeding pretty bad right after I got hit, but not so much now. I think it's not that bad, cause I'm not dizzy or anything, it does hurt a lot when I move my head.

Oh, and my favorite color is grey. Why is that important?

tigerusthegreat
2013-12-04, 09:33 AM
(I'm going to give a small bonus to push that logic still up because this is a good solution. I like it).

Torque has triangulated Casmire's position successfully, and believes he can find the wounded soldier.

Revanus
2013-12-04, 12:46 PM
Head wound. Possible concussion. Keep the victim occupied...

<We need to track you, Cas. You just stay put and keep hidden. Now, where were you born?>

ImperatorV
2013-12-04, 01:00 PM
Algira of course. On an island just south of... Why is this important?

Casmirre burrows partway into a nearby snow bank, arranging his cam-cloak so that it covers everything except his eyes.

Recalcitrent
2013-12-04, 01:03 PM
"Lets get moving, doc. You can talk on the way. Right now, the longer we stand around, the more time the orks have to find him." the aging sergeant says as he again begins to make his way towards his missing guardsman
Damnit. I can't seem to catch my breath these days. I'm too old for this grox-****.

Stealth: [roll0]
Awareness: [roll1] to notice any orks on our path

Fibinachi
2013-12-04, 02:24 PM
<Corporal Casmirre, I have located your signal and we are making our way towards you. Remain in a state of minor leakage.>

"I am tracing the Corporal's microbead, as we share a bond. Casmirre is in this direction, within one kilometer. I shall endeavour to keep us on course, while you watch for orks. Let's go save our lascarbi--- man."

Revanus
2013-12-04, 02:49 PM
Ever and Barbri continue forward, following in the Sarge's footsteps.

Quietly, Ever continues his evaluation.

<You're doing great, Cas! We're on the way. Have you been experiencing any bright flashes or spots in your vision?>

Stealth:
[roll0] vs. 51

Awareness:
[roll1] vs. 29

Fibinachi
2013-12-04, 03:21 PM
<Incidentally>

Torque began, broadcasting to the group,

<The reason I inquired as to your hierarchy of coloration was to determine if the blows had cased you to be unable to prioritize. That, and as we speak, I follow the signal moving back and forth to locate you. It seemed "casual conversation" would give the best odds of finally reaching you so Ever can help.

ImperatorV
2013-12-04, 06:10 PM
That's interesting. And no, I'm not experiencing any vision problems. I know you're worried about a concussion or something, but I'm perfectly fine. Well, except for the hole in my scalp. Would have been a lot worse if it hadn't been for the shovel.

Recalcitrent
2013-12-04, 09:13 PM
<The shovel? Are you sure you're alright there guardsman? What would our entrenchment tools have to do with you surviving?> Zacharia grinds the words out of his mouth in between breaths.

ImperatorV
2013-12-05, 08:01 AM
I'm pretty sure these aren't ordinary entrenchment tools, sir. Mine cut an ork clean in half. It was like what I-an accident that happened at a factory I worked at. Anyway, these shovels are something else, I think they may well be gifts from the Emperor.

Note to self: be more careful when thinking out loud. May cause references to past events.

Anyway, that Munitorum screw-up saved my life. So either they're smarter than we think they are, or the Emperor intervened. Or both.

Fibinachi
2013-12-05, 09:18 AM
"Blessed are the tool-users, guided by hand to rend an ork in half? Not sure if that is from any scripture I am familiar with. Perhaps the Munitorum were right to issue us these AXE's. Corporal, the buzzing in my head tells me we are very close to your position. Look around. Can you see us at this stage?"

ImperatorV
2013-12-05, 10:37 AM
Awareness: [roll0] vs 20

ImperatorV
2013-12-05, 10:38 AM
Negative. I can't see anything in this snow.

Revanus
2013-12-05, 05:36 PM
Ever glances around, trying to see if he can spot Casmirre--or at least his trail.

Awareness:
[roll0] vs. 29

Survival:
[roll1] vs. 29

tigerusthegreat
2013-12-05, 05:39 PM
Casmire feel a heavy boot on his back, pressing him deeper into the snow as Ever steps on him.

ImperatorV
2013-12-05, 10:11 PM
Gah!

Casmirre twists out from under Ever, jumps back and raises his shot gun.

Oh. Hey, I see you now.

He lowers his shotgun, and pulls his helmet off, gesturing to his head wound.

Recalcitrent
2013-12-06, 01:06 AM
"I see you've found your patient, Ever. Patch him up quick, we have a job to do, and it isn't getting any warmer here. Enginseer Torque, do you know where we are relative to the ork device?" Zacharia says as he begins to get his breathing under control, while scanning the area to watch for orks.

Awareness:[roll0]

Revanus
2013-12-06, 03:50 AM
Ever stumbles off of Casmirre, a bit embarrassed.

"Sorry about that. Let's take a look at that cut."

Barbi brings out the medkit, and Ever drops to a knee. Barbi helps prop Casmirre up.

"That's right, honey. Rest your head a bit."

Ever opens the medikit, and begins field triage for a major head wound, beneath the shelter of Barbi's camo cloak.

Medicine/First Aid:
[roll0] vs. 66 (46+20)

Awareness:
[roll1] vs. 29

Stealth:
[roll2] vs. 51

Fibinachi
2013-12-06, 04:51 PM
"Your helmet does seem to have sustained improper amounts of damage, Corporal. But your skill appears to be mostly intact. Hold still while I attempt to fix the worst of it. Uh, and Medic Ever is clearly good for sealing your leaks."

Bending to his task, Torque set about patching up the somewhat battered hlemet to provide a modicum of protection should the same choppa related incident conspire to happen twice.

"I do not, Sergeant. We came down west of our intended zone, so I would wager we are... west of it. I have access to the orbital imagery, and we know the guns were a perimeter near the device itself to cut of air approaches. If we track back, we can find the device. I would suggest it to be 3-4 kilometers from here. Can I see your charge pack, momentarily?"

If Zacharia hands over his charge pack:
Holding the weapon power back in his hands, Torque muttered a brief sentence of words including "blessed be", "ionic charges" and "battery drain-shame".

And then the Enginseer starts humming, quite loudly.

[roll0] VS 65 to recharge the sergeants weapon pack to full with the Luminen Capacitor.

Recalcitrent
2013-12-06, 05:57 PM
Fumbling a bit in his bulky gloves, Zacharia unloads his charge-pack from his lascarbine and hands it over to the enginseer, and proceeds to load another.

Revanus
2013-12-06, 07:34 PM
Barbi glances at the horizon, and makes a few quick calculations on her fingers.

"Uh, Sir...I'm pretty sure we should head that way."

Her outstretched finger points roughly North/North-east.

Navigation:
[roll0] vs. 46

ImperatorV
2013-12-07, 09:12 AM
Alright. Lead on.

Recalcitrent
2013-12-07, 10:38 AM
"Well, as soon as the medic's got your head wrapped up, we'd better move. The assassination team may have already engaged the enemy, and I'd rather we get the device annihilated before they are put on guard."

Revanus
2013-12-07, 10:40 AM
Ever packs up his medikit and readies his lascarbine again.

Casmirre's cut is very deep. Too deep. He may also be suffering symptoms of concussion. In short, there's not much that Ever can do to help the kid in the field.

Barbi takes point as they set off on the route, with Ever right behind.

Awareness:
[roll0] vs. 29

Stealth:
[roll1] vs. 51

ImperatorV
2013-12-07, 11:12 AM
Rolls:

Awareness: [roll0] vs 20

Stealth [roll1] vs 55

Recalcitrent
2013-12-07, 11:26 AM
Awareness: [roll0] vs 12 (Perception: 32, Untrained -20)
Stealth: [roll1] vs 34 (Agility 34, Untrained -20, Camo-cloak +20)

tigerusthegreat
2013-12-08, 09:12 PM
You begin to navigate your way to the ork enammpment that houses the progenisis machine.

Okay, this will be an extended test.

One person will be the navigator, and they must succeed at 3 of 5 Navigation tests to find the encampment.

Everyone including the navigator must succeed in 3 of 7 stealth tests to avoid being spotted by ork patrols.

ImperatorV
2013-12-08, 09:17 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

All vs 55.

Revanus
2013-12-08, 09:53 PM
Stealth Tests:
[roll0] vs. 51
[roll1] vs. 51
[roll2] vs. 51
[roll3] vs. 51
[roll4] vs. 51
[roll5] vs. 51
[roll6] vs. 51

Recalcitrent
2013-12-09, 12:25 AM
[roll0] vs 34
[roll1] vs 34
[roll2] vs 34
[roll3] vs 34
[roll4] vs 34
[roll5] vs 34
[roll6] vs 34

tigerusthegreat
2013-12-10, 09:35 AM
After an hour of trudging through the snow, you spot the cracked hull of a wrecked ship sticking out of the ice about 750m distant. Several small buildings made out of scrap have been built around it, and the entire scene seems very familiar from Braxlon's briefing video. There is nobody around.

Revanus
2013-12-10, 10:04 AM
Ever glances around at the area.

Seems a bit...quiet...

He wraps his camo cloak more tightly around himself and keeps his carbine at the ready.

<Any thoughts on where the device is?>, he whispers.

Awareness:
[roll0] vs. 29

Stealth:
[roll1] vs. 51

ImperatorV
2013-12-10, 06:42 PM
I'd guess in the central building.

Fibinachi
2013-12-10, 06:57 PM
"I believe the interior would be the most logical place to put a device of that calibre, according to the ancient traditions. "Verily, Thou Shalt Not Put Electrical Outlets Outside, For Thy Wires Be Short, The Night Cold, and the Walk Long"

The wrecked ship was, even in its dismal state, a magnificent creation. Positively bristling with various bits of interesting gadgetry, even if the winds and cold of eight decades had flensed the metal clad hull. Somewhat absently, Torque patted around in his robes once again, fiddling with various wires. He had been haunted by a persistent, slightly worrisome humming sound ever since the unfortunate impact with the ground earlier. Something shaken loose inside his core, a single awry bioelectric wire or nervous-electoo transmitter. It was rather like the hiccups he'd used to get, so many years ago. Embarrassing for sure.

"The orks have a perimeter, built form the scrap metal. That means they access to the ship at multiple points for stripping and re purposing. If we gain entrance, finding the device itself should be easy, by following the most traveled areas. They would congregate near it, for its multiplication power over organics.

That would be put us in with the orks, in tight quarters. I believe the Masters of Mars proscribes that, because it always ends up requiring everything to be repaired. Perhaps we can gain access to a maintenance shaft. If the Ship's various circuitry still retain their original mind impuse units, I can interface with them, and guide us. Possibly activate security features or lock doors. Presupposing the orks have not wrecked everything"

Torque switched to another language entirely, and buzzed a few commands at Fulcrum who stood nearby silently. With the aid of the servitor, the Enginseer soon adjusted his las carbine into his shoulder mount, and the weapon began swirling around to follow Torque's eyes. Satisfied that the uplink worked, the Enginseer drew the issued AXE with reverent care while his mechandrite rapidly shifted through a series of sharp implements. Thus bristling with edges, points and gun, the Enginseer nodded twice. The xeno had voided the warranty on their ship, and thus, reclamation were in order.

"If they have wrecked everything, I will be somewhat irate. I recommend we stick together. I shall hold off charging orks, while you provide covering fire if you desire. Unfortunately, it appears the large red robes of my order have a... unfortunate side effect outside of the original specifications of making a target of anyone who wears them. Perhaps the orks will be distracted, and crush my skull first. I can rig a demolition charge to explode here, to draw attention, while we attempt to sneak past? Or we do the same, but nearer the foul misuse of hull plating for something so mundane as housing.

tigerusthegreat
2013-12-11, 10:00 AM
From 150m to you right, to ork pop out of the snow and yell "WAAAAAAAAGH!" before firing two Rokkits at Torque. By some miracle, they both fly by him, and explode a safe distance away.

[roll0]

Fibinachi
2013-12-11, 10:20 AM
A muffled booming sound erupted from somewhere to Torque's left. Apparently, the guidance system on Ork rockets were less able than expected. Maybe they had forgotten to light the incense before firing.

That was probably a kind of a boon, all things considered, because Torque didn't exactly recall his system specifications standing up to long range rocket barrages.

"I say, I think those blighters are trying to kill us! Let's have at them."

[roll0]

Turning to face the rocket launching wielding pair of orks freshy sprung from the snow, the Enginseer ran through a quick firing solution. A single las gun line of fire shot out, managing to hit nothing but snow. Somewhat puzzled, Torque patted the lascarbine swirling around on his shoulder.

"... I apologize. That normally doesn't happen to me"

Recalcitrent
2013-12-11, 12:27 PM
"Holy Terra! I didnt think those greenskins had it in them to hide! Zacharia yells, as he instinctively drops to one knee, presenting both a smaller target and a better shooting platform.

[roll0]

"All guns open fire! I dont want an ork head popping up without a lasbolt to greet it!" Zacharia bellows as he takes aim at the rokkit launcha holding ork, and fires.

Covering Fire Sweeping Order (Everyone with their Comrade in Cohesion gets +10 to Dodge tests this round)
33 BS, +10 Half Action Aim, -10 Long Range, +5 Ranged Volley, +10 Normal Shot = 48

Edit: Targeter doesn't work as I thought it did, so I edited it out.

Overloaded Shot gives +2 damage and Pen, loses Reliable, cost 4 ammo 56/60
Attack: [roll1] vs 48
Damage: [roll2]
RF: [roll3]

ImperatorV
2013-12-11, 02:19 PM
Not again...

initiative [roll0] [roll1]
Yay lightning reflexes. Higher one counts.

Revanus
2013-12-11, 03:19 PM
Ever and Barbi bring their lascarbines to bear on the closer ork to their position.

Barbi fires first, letting off a quick succession of red bolts. Ever quickly joins her, flicking the Lascarbine's fire selector to overcharge and squeezing the trigger.

Without bothering to see the impact of their shots, Ever and Barbi are already on the move. They rush to the nearest and best cover available, and settle in for the impending firefight.

Actions:

Comrade: half action move, half action Ranged Volley (+5 BS)

PC:
Half-Action Standard Shot:
[roll0] vs. 47 (32+5 RV+10 Standard Shot=47) [no penalty for Long Range, since shot is exactly at double the range of lascarbine--not more than double].

Damage:
[roll1] Pen 0

Half-action move (3 meters) into cover. Free stealth check.
Stealth: [roll2] vs. 51

Lascarbine Ammo: 58/60

ImperatorV
2013-12-12, 09:18 AM
Half action aim, Lascarbine into overcharge (2 ammo per shot for +1damage)

Standard action attack [roll0] vs... 63 I think?

tigerusthegreat
2013-12-18, 09:18 PM
One of the ork gets nailed by two shots for some damage. He is hurt, but not badly enough to reload the rokkit launcher. Two more rockets scream in, both also going wide.

Revanus
2013-12-19, 04:18 AM
Ever knows what a rocket can do to the human body. The combination of trauma, explosive force, and shock is not something that can be effectively treated in the field.

As such, he decides it would be wise to try to get those Orks to stop firing those blasted missiles so often.

Pulling Barbi down into cover, Ever quickly shifts his lascarbine over to standard shots and sprays a couple of rounds downrange, hoping for a suppressive effect.

Actions:
Comrade full action: Take Cover!

PC Full Action: Suppressing Fire
[roll0] vs. 12

Lascarbine Ammo: 56/60
FP: 1/2
Wounds: 9/9

Fibinachi
2013-12-23, 11:11 PM
"It would appear the enemy has us outclassed with their munitions. Luckily, we appear to have them beat for aiming. Proceed to take cover."

They would have to make up for that with more accuracy. Luckily, the snow and the camoflage nature of their chameoline cloaks would make it remarkably unlikely that they would be hit.

Seemingly Torque's comrades managed to outdo him, and hit one of the ork rokkiteers. Deciding to try and copy that feat, Torque aimed for the wounded ork, a short thought to his weapon resulting in another burst of lasfire.

Second verse same as first!

[roll0] vs 73
[roll1], Pen 2

"Sergeant Zacharia, should I deploy a smoke mask?The more missles explode, the larger a chance the orks will find us"

tigerusthegreat
2014-01-29, 04:52 PM
One of the ork goes down, and the other fires another rokkit. The rokkit doesn't go anywhere near the party, flying far overhead. Thank the Emperor for the orks being bad shots.

Realizing the futility of firing a rokkit with no loader, that ork drops the launcher and pulls out a very nasty looking choppa.