PDA

View Full Version : Marvel Avengers Alliance

Varen_Tai
2013-11-26, 02:22 PM
So does anyone else here play this CIGF (Crack In Game Form)?

There's a FB and normal web variety on Playdom, in addition to mobile versions for both Android and iPhone.

I have to say, I luuurrrrve this game. I find I'd rather play it than almost any other purchased game. It combines strategy with the Pokemon philosophy of "Gotta catch 'em all!" for a variety of heroes.

This is not the same thing as Marvel Heroes, the Diablo 2 clone that I have not tried yet. Turn based strategy with 5 classes, and a veritable plethora of hero abilities and flavors that combine in really cool ways.

I could go on. :smallbiggrin:

It has its flaws of course, but overall, it is a blast to play. You are a SHIELD agent that can bring 2 heroes into battle with you and a ton of gear that can be farmed or researched (or purchased with premium currency).

Highly recommended for anyone that hasn't played it yet!

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-11-26, 02:38 PM
Played it once upon a time. It's an involved game, so I can't casually play it, but it's not varied enough that I can justify playing it. It's a grind that requires time investment. So I wound up quitting it. (That being said, the turn-based battles were cool.)

Varen_Tai
2013-11-26, 02:41 PM
Played it once upon a time. It's an involved game, so I can't casually play it, but it's not varied enough that I can justify playing it. It's a grind that requires time investment. So I wound up quitting it. (That being said, the turn-based battles were cool.)

Varied? Yeah, it totally is a time investment, but the sheer number of heroes makes for an incredibly varied experience IMHO, though YMMV. :smallsmile:

I've really done very little grinding, relatively speaking, though I've now played through most of the material and now I'm turning towards PVP and farming for certain items I really want.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-11-26, 03:37 PM
Well, I mean, in terms of gameplay. The different fight tactics are nifty and all, but gameplay (for me) boiled down to "fight, fight, fight, complete mission". It didn't engage me except during the fights, so for me--it straddled an awkward line between casual game and time sink.

Varen_Tai
2013-11-26, 03:50 PM
Well, I mean, in terms of gameplay. The different fight tactics are nifty and all, but gameplay (for me) boiled down to "fight, fight, fight, complete mission". It didn't engage me except during the fights, so for me--it straddled an awkward line between casual game and time sink.

Ah, yes. That makes sense. There IS lots of fighting.

Quietus
2013-11-26, 09:04 PM
Totally agree with CarpeGuittarem, that this game is an utter time sink. But I still play it, right now just keeping up with my five PvP wins each day, but I'll have a night dedicated to training soon enough. Personally I think they've been going overboard with the number of heroes they release of late; I don't see how anyone can keep up without paying gold, particularly if you're trying to have every hero trained to the max. Doubly so now that you can get heroes to level 13.

Varen_Tai
2013-11-26, 11:40 PM
Totally agree with CarpeGuittarem, that this game is an utter time sink. But I still play it, right now just keeping up with my five PvP wins each day, but I'll have a night dedicated to training soon enough. Personally I think they've been going overboard with the number of heroes they release of late; I don't see how anyone can keep up without paying gold, particularly if you're trying to have every hero trained to the max. Doubly so now that you can get heroes to level 13.

If you're not in a hurry, you can totally go without buying gold. Farming gold from levels and the occasional offer that either is free or is something you would buy anyhow is sufficient for me so far. :)

Kesnit
2013-11-27, 07:51 AM
I used to play. The story is great and the missions aren't bad. The PvP was awful, though.

I quit playing during a SpecOps several months ago. I used to like the SpecOps. They were a nice challenge and you could get some cool heroes. What killed it for me was the requirement "win 5 PvP matches" in every SpecOps.

PvP was far from balanced. Getting the best items for your locker required gold. The more heroes you had, the more powerful you were. Both of these meant amazing amounts of grinding, or buying them with RW money. And if you were like me and HATED PvP, there was no point in putting gold into PvP items when they were so rarely used. In addition, some heroes were just more powerful than others. (Human Torch, Dr. Strange, and Storm were the biggest offenders there.) To top it off, with all the PvP Seasons, the rewards made those who did well more powerful. End result - those who were good at and enjoyed PvP put their gold into PvP and became more powerful.

Which leads me back to SpecOps... I worked at them, collecting my ISO, planning out my battles, and had a good time. And then I would get to the "Win 5 PvP battles." (The requirement to just fight PvP was fine. I'd fight, probably lose, and move on.) Battles are slow (in PvP or missions), but is really easy to tell at the beginning if you are going to win or lose. (Heck, sometimes I'd know before the battle started, if my opponent had a huge PvP locker bonus and a lot more heroes.) End result - PvP became a monotonous, frustrating grind. And yes, you could pay to bypass that requirement, but that also required gold.

I finally quit after several hours of PvP, trying to get my 5 wins, and finally gold-ing out. Then I realized I didn't have enough gold to buy off the last step (the epic battle), which I always had to gold out because I never had all the right heroes.

I'd go back in a heartbeat if the SpecOps stopped requiring PvP wins. Since I don't see that happening...

Chen
2013-11-27, 08:37 AM
I played for a while with the gift bug in place where you could get TONS of shield points/energy etc. Once that was fixed I kinda stopped since I didn't want to pay to get further in the game.

The PVP is definitely a problem. I had a team of Pheonix, Captain America and my agent in the demon set (signpost, grief, hotshot and sudden support) and it was frankly easy to beat almost any team if I was controlling. Without me controlling it was a crapshot since the AI is pretty bad. Still you had to put MASSIVE time in to get to the top levels in PvP due to this since you had to keep playing and winning rather than let the AI lose points for you.

It gets pretty tiresome in the end so I kinda stopped playing. Was fun for a bit though.

supermonkeyjoe
2013-11-27, 10:13 AM
I play this pretty much everyday in my lunch hour at work and I've been playing since pretty much the beginning but only recently though have I managed to get enough allies to do the spec ops reliably.

Yes, PvP is pretty unbalanced but I can regularly get into the gold league and occasionally into platinum without spending any real money on PvP, absolutely loving the synergy between Dr Strange and brother Voodoo right now.

Varen_Tai
2013-11-27, 10:26 AM
I play this pretty much everyday in my lunch hour at work and I've been playing since pretty much the beginning but only recently though have I managed to get enough allies to do the spec ops reliably.

Yes, PvP is pretty unbalanced but I can regularly get into the gold league and occasionally into platinum without spending any real money on PvP, absolutely loving the synergy between Dr Strange and brother Voodoo right now.

What kind of synergy do they have?

I've been using Cable and Heim to great success until Heim starting generating CVE errors today. :smallmad: I can regularly kill opponents with 3x the hero bonus that I have.

PVP hasn't been such a stress for me since I bit the bullet and did some special offers to fill my armory with the most recent PVP items last PVP season, and I am still holding strong.

supermonkeyjoe
2013-11-28, 04:50 AM
What kind of synergy do they have?

I've been using Cable and Heim to great success until Heim starting generating CVE errors today. :smallmad: I can regularly kill opponents with 3x the hero bonus that I have.

PVP hasn't been such a stress for me since I bit the bullet and did some special offers to fill my armory with the most recent PVP items last PVP season, and I am still holding strong.

Dr strange with his alt costume applies Bane to everything with Vapors of Valtorr, his Enhanced iso8 gives him exploit attrition on bolts of Balthakk which will be triggered on most things with dark void and deathfrost from brother voodoos vodoun crows, also I just really like both of the characters :smalltongue:

Currently saving up to get Magik after her team up in season 2 chapter 3, I love those magic users.