PDA

View Full Version : Familiars with Class Levels?

ThatGuyOvaThere
2013-11-26, 03:33 PM
Every now and then I see someone on a thread post something about giving your familiar levels in a class. If this is possible while retaining the familiar as a familiar and not some sort of cohort, how does one go about it or where are the rules on it?

Thanks for any help you can give, Sam

IAmTehDave
2013-11-26, 03:35 PM
Every now and then I see someone on a thread post something about giving your familiar levels in a class. If this is possible while retaining the familiar as a familiar and not some sort of cohort, how does one go about it or where are the rules on it?

I was in a campaign where the DM let the sorcerer funnel some of his XP to his monkey familiar to let said familiar work towards levels of rogue.

But AFAIK it's houserule-only territory. There's nothing stating that a familiar gains exp. Since they gain bonus int, though, they become eligible for class levels.

sambouchah
2013-11-26, 03:36 PM

My brother never signed out on my computer, sorry about any confusion, all:smalltongue:

Dawgmoah
2013-11-26, 03:40 PM

Homebrew maybe; I think the Noble Wild splat book had some rules on it but I may be thinking of a Mongoose book instead.

You could let the familiar take the Apprentice feat and get some skillz...

But I know nothing in the rules letting you to advance a familiar up in levels.

Urpriest
2013-11-26, 04:52 PM
RAW, familiars have to be typical of their kind. Otherwise you get all sorts of silly shenanigans.

You want a minion with class levels, that's what Leadership and kin are for.

MonochromeTiger
2013-11-26, 04:57 PM

somehow my only thought on this is having your familiar gain levels in a class that gives them a familiar..then that familiar gains levels in a class that has familiar.. then you wind up with an infinite army of familiars....wow my thought on this is useless.

Chronos
2013-11-26, 07:15 PM
somehow my only thought on this is having your familiar gain levels in a class that gives them a familiar..then that familiar gains levels in a class that has familiar.. then you wind up with an infinite army of familiars....wow my thought on this is useless.
You can't do that with familiars... But there are a few tricks that let you pull it off with psicrystals.

Clistenes
2013-11-27, 03:29 PM
There are a couple third party books with contents that allow you to give extra features to your familiar:

Encyclopaedia Arcane - Familiars of Mongoose Publising has a list of rituals that allow you to spend XP to give your familiars a few class features.

The Book of Familiars of Troll Lord Games has feats that give your familiar extra features.

And of course, you could build yourself a customized Homunculus, take the Improved Familiar feat, and take that as familiar.