PDA

View Full Version : Slow Casting Classes and Prestige Classes

Talionis
2013-11-26, 03:57 PM
Tier 1 and 2 classes get all the love. Not only are thy ridiculous if played in a high optimization game, but because they have quick casting progressions they qualify for prestige classes far quicker than slower casting progressions like Spellthief and Paladin.

Many prestige classes require 2nd level spells as a prerequisite for entry. Where a couple levels of Wizard, Cleric, or Sorcerer gets you right into the prestige class, these already worse classes like Spellthief and Paladin have to wait into level 8 to gain entry without shenanigans.

Does anyone have any fixes for this? I know Precocious Apprentice and Versatile Spellcaster exist and help a little.

Eonir
2013-11-26, 05:48 PM
Not really, this is simply how the game is designed. Sure, there are some early entry tricks (like Precocious Apprentice), but tier 1 and 2 are supposed be to way more awesome.

However, the Master Spellthief feat is really good for spellthieves if you want to play them, and there are plenty of awesome Paladin Handbooks out there that can help you make a rip' roaring awesome Paladin.

ngilop
2013-11-26, 06:14 PM
My opinion is multi-fold

Yes the full casters get all the love, WoTC just hates the poor mundane. 9unless you wanna go teh bull%**& system mastery arguemnt route...)

Paladisn are supposed to be more towards martial endeavors as oposed to slinging spells, so why one is wanting to get in a spell casting focsued PrC with a martial bent class is kinda silly to me

the simplelst Fix is, to just do one of the following

1( just ignore requirements and let the paladin join say.. the divine oracle at lvl 3

2) make homebrewed PrC that make the levle 13 paladin cast as a lvl 20 paladin or some other such.

The way the classes are built honestl just being a cleric and going inot hmm divine crusader I think ( i think thats the paladin in a 10 level PrC) is abetter paladin than the paladin class.. and so is the Favored soul.

Heck I got a character that is a 2nd paladin and either 6th or 8th Favored Soul and Its doing a bang up job of being a crazy as heck aweosme holy warrior.

Talionis
2013-11-27, 10:08 AM
My opinion is multi-fold

Yes the full casters get all the love, WoTC just hates the poor mundane. 9unless you wanna go teh bull%**& system mastery arguemnt route...)

Paladisn are supposed to be more towards martial endeavors as oposed to slinging spells, so why one is wanting to get in a spell casting focsued PrC with a martial bent class is kinda silly to me

the simplelst Fix is, to just do one of the following

1( just ignore requirements and let the paladin join say.. the divine oracle at lvl 3

2) make homebrewed PrC that make the levle 13 paladin cast as a lvl 20 paladin or some other such.

The way the classes are built honestl just being a cleric and going inot hmm divine crusader I think ( i think thats the paladin in a 10 level PrC) is abetter paladin than the paladin class.. and so is the Favored soul.

Heck I got a character that is a 2nd paladin and either 6th or 8th Favored Soul and Its doing a bang up job of being a crazy as heck aweosme holy warrior.

Thanks. Yeah. That's what I sorta thought.

My opinion in 3.5 is that you need to add some magic to the mundane classes, especially at higher levels so that the characters can stay relevant. Yes, they become Gishes. But at least it explains how they don't fall too far behind the tier 1's and 2's.