PDA

View Full Version : linked power, did they really?

Menzath
2013-11-26, 04:33 PM
Linked power. It doesn't say anywhere that you cannot augment the linked power, and that you also do not have to pay the power point costs for manifesting it.
Can you really get a power maxed for the manifesting of a lower power +2pp for linked? seems like insane cheese wording on that feat.
And I know the synch/bestow power trick isn't new, but twining certainly makes it faster.

bestow power shenanigans, I tried looking for an errata that "fixed" linked power... which of course there is not. could I really do a twined bestow power with linked power for a total of 4 bestow powers being cast, and besides for metapsionics costs only have to pay for 1 casting?
Doesn't that mean with temporal acceleration you can in combat regain all of your PP in 1 round( apparent time) as long as you have enough PP to start the cycle?

Or better yet a twined synchronicity w/ a linked bestow power for lower levels. Yes they wouldn't "stack" they would ovelap. But since the duration is 1 round(till expended?) you could ready the action to cast a regular linked power as "soon as you can" and thanks to tricks with a psi-crystal that has wild talent and a few other feats it can focus itself with the readied actions that you shared, that way you always have focus to expend on you next manifesting's. so in essence same as the regular trick, just faster.

Also yeah all the feats needed are not listed.
At the same time I did not include feats or items because any psionics/metapsionics reducers are known and make these fare more potent for in combat use.

Rubik
2013-11-26, 05:30 PM
Linked power. It doesn't say anywhere that you cannot augment the linked power, and that you also do not have to pay the power point costs for manifesting it.Actually, it says that the cost of the second power is added on to the first power. "Using this feat increases the power point cost of the power manifested this round by a number equal to the power point cost of the linked power." Augmentation costs are included in this by default.

Can you really get a power maxed for the manifesting of a lower power +2pp for linked? seems like insane cheese wording on that feat.See above. And there's no additional cost for Linking powers together. Just the full cost for each power plus your psionic focus. (ie, no "both powers + focus + 2pp")

And I know the synch/bestow power trick isn't new, but twining certainly makes it faster. bestow power shenanigans, I tried looking for an errata that "fixed" linked power... which of course there is not. could I really do a twined bestow power with linked power for a total of 4 bestow powers being cast, and besides for metapsionics costs only have to pay for 1 casting?You have to pay for all the powers you manifest, as noted above. Twinning and Linking two Bestow Power manifestations ends up costing you power points; you can't get extra pp out of the deal using that setup.

Doesn't that mean with temporal acceleration you can in combat regain all of your PP in 1 round( apparent time) as long as you have enough PP to start the cycle?Nyet.

Or better yet a twined synchronicity w/ a linked bestow power for lower levels. Yes they wouldn't "stack" they would ovelap. But since the duration is 1 round(till expended?) you could ready the action to cast a regular linked power as "soon as you can" and thanks to tricks with a psi-crystal that has wild talent and a few other feats it can focus itself with the readied actions that you shared, that way you always have focus to expend on you next manifesting's. so in essence same as the regular trick, just faster.

Also yeah all the feats needed are not listed.
At the same time I did not include feats or items because any psionics/metapsionics reducers are known and make these fare more potent for in combat use.Alas, this doesn't work, as alluded to above.

Menzath
2013-11-26, 06:55 PM
Ahh I see, when they referred to the power point cost of the linked power the example wasn't very descriptive and only shows that base costs and does not further explain anything about augmenting said powers.

Well I shall still look for other PP cheese in the mean time then, thank you for clarifying.

Menzath
2013-11-26, 07:25 PM
okay just typing out some theory craft here.
meta power on linked bestow power>bestow power
meta power on twin power.
earth power
Torc of power preservation
Midnight augmentation.

Bestow power and it's linked versions cost 1pp to manifest
augment cost is reduced by 2(min 1) as well.

if augmented once with all of the following total cost would be(if I did math gud)(but that's assuming you have to pay for the second linked, it is ambiguous after looking at the feat)
10pp(2x3+4)
and would get us 16pp.
Net gain of 6. again not to useful in combat but still faster than 1pp/turn.
If you don't have to pay additional PP for the second linked the net gain would be 8pp.
At psion 20 base PP is 343
At a gain of 6/turn that's 57 rounds to max(base) (5min 42secs)
at 8/turn about 43 rounds. (4min 18secs)

Either way being able to full nova down to 10pp(or 8pp) EVERY fight is a little insane.

seems a little feat heavy but I suppose that is the price to pay.
meta power X2
twin power
linked power
midnight aug +another feat for 1 more essential (or being an incarnum race)
psionic meditation
psicrystal containment
Earth sense + earth power.
if not a psion need psicrystal affinity and possibly expanded knowledge

that's about 10 feats, 11/12 if not a psion. almost think the decreased down time isn't worth the crazy amount of feats needed.

tyckspoon
2013-11-26, 07:37 PM
Yeah, you only need that many feats if you insist on recharging as quickly as possible. Metapower - Linked Bestow Power gets you to parity on cost already; it only takes one more cost reducer to start turning a profit on it. The XPH version of Torc of Power Preservation is probably the best choice, and that makes your total cost 2 feats, 1 power selection, and a magic item. Not terrible, considering you aren't really meant to be able to recharge like that at all.