PDA

View Full Version : 3.P Gestalt Question: How to make a Jedi

Houndour
2013-11-26, 04:54 PM
How do I make a Jedi like character? I have a friend who needs one made for the the campaign I am putting together.
It has to be from Base or Core classes from PF but feats and the like from 3.5 are alright.

A simple Jedi build, an energy blade weapon or something similar as well as the mystical powers they possess through the force.

OldTrees1
2013-11-26, 04:59 PM
Warlock (Eldritch Glaive) // Psion (Force Powers)
Nvm. I answered before finishing reading.

Brilliant Energy Weapon & spellcaster//warrior

Feralventas
2013-11-26, 05:22 PM
Let's outline the abilities I'm familiar with the Jedi having.

Suggestion: These are not the droids you're looking for, move along.
Insight: senses of the world around them beyond the norm.
Physical capability: Jumping all over the place, dropping and rolling without worry.

The lightsaber, while iconic, is actually somewhat superfluous to the Jedi's talents; the above in combination with a blaster or other weapon are just as viable, and we do see examples like Kyle Katarn in the expanded universe making extensive use of various blasters and firearms in addition to the lightsabers.
Still, I think this can be done, though hopefully 3.P means allowing 3.5 as that'll make this a lot easier than trying to sort it out in PF pure.

Starting out, I'd advise starting out and keeping Bard as a large part of the build; they've got the Charm and Suggestion spells to represent the more subtle influences of the Jedi, as well as the mundane skills that they need to get things done under the radar some times.

I'd also suggest going with one of the more martially-oriented archetypes, particularly Arcane Duelist, Archaeologist, or Dervish Dancer. DD is pretty self-evident; short bursts of additional speed, damage, and reflexes. Arcane Duelist is good for the fighter/mystic aspect, and helps them blend well. Archaeologist doesn't have as much offense, but Uncanny Dodge, Evasion, Trapsense and a sprinkling of Rogue Talents all lend into that fore-sight and defensive precognition.

For the other side, I'd go with Warblade or Swordsage, particularly with the Tiger Claw maneuvers (lots of jumping, acrobatics and such for more recent and contemporary examples of Jedi) or Diamond Mind, Setting Sun, and Iron Heart to show a more subtle, careful and technique-focused fighting style.

Your physical ability scores will be divided a little to give the Bard it's Charisma, and you'll want Int for skills and or Warblade's features, or Wisdom for AC with the Swordsage. Still, with Bardic buffs and a decent stat-line, you should be good to go.

For the lightsaber, any Magical weapon can have a glow to it, as outlined in the DMG. Minimum +1, and you're already there. Add in the Hide-away enchantment from Races of the Wild, and you've got a weapon that can magically fold into itself and glows when "activated".

TiaC
2013-11-26, 05:24 PM
The Thunderlance spell from the spell compendium makes a good lightsaber.

Feralventas
2013-11-26, 05:25 PM
Then I remembered that you're looking for this to be available and easy for a relatively new player.

Warlock with the Charm invocation can suffice for the same suggestion effect, or even switch out Charm for Suggestion. Eldritch Blast functions as some of the more direct, damaging aspects of the Dark Side such as the lightning effects or Force Destruction from the EU. Take invocations that grant skill bonuses or additional senses.

Warblade on the other side, maybe with a dip in Battle Dancer for unarmored Charisma to AC, can make good use of the same +# Hide-away weapons.

It's not as effective, but it's a lot more stream-lined.

Houndour
2013-11-26, 05:28 PM
Doesn't need to be extremely effective just easy to do and fun. Its his idea of a awesome character.

This is way better then the Monk/Soulknife idea I had. Thanks a lot.