PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Creating +1 magic items from MWK item

dmjay
2013-11-26, 05:07 PM
A player wants to take Craft Magic Arms and armor feat and make all his Masterwork items +1 magic items.

Fine, but what would the process be. Does he just pay 2000gp and wait 2days for it to be completed?

Is the only prerequisite for the item to be MWK that's it? Is there an XP cost for make it a magic weapon or armor?

I understand the the feat when creating/adding new abilities, +5 ability limit, +10 cost limit, etc, etc but what I don't understand is what is needed to take a MWK item and making it a +1.

Help?

TETanglebrooke
2013-11-26, 05:26 PM
Dungeon Master's Guide Page 284 and 285

herrhauptmann
2013-11-26, 05:27 PM
A player wants to take Craft Magic Arms and armor feat and make all his Masterwork items +1 magic items.

Fine, but what would the process be. Does he just pay 2000gp and wait 2days for it to be completed?

Is the only prerequisite for the item to be MWK that's it? Is there an XP cost for make it a magic weapon or armor?

I understand the the feat when creating/adding new abilities, +5 ability limit, +10 cost limit, etc, etc but what I don't understand is what is needed to take a MWK item and making it a +1.

Help?
Cost to upgrade weapons and armor to +1 from masterwork is 1000 or 500 gold respectively.
What he does, is roleplay. He could sit down and write runes on them with 1000 gold worth of diamond dust. The exact specifics aren't detailed in the game.
Yes, he loses some XP. The amount of XP lost is related to the cost of the item. =1/25th of total price, not counting the cost of the item itself. So you don't spend more XP making +1 mithral plate vs +1 studded leather.

RMS Oceanic
2013-11-26, 05:30 PM
Creating a Magic Item takes:

- One day per 1000 GP of its market cost (In this case 2 days)
- Half the market cost in GP (1000 GP)
- 1/25 the market cost in XP (200 XP)

Also for a +1 weapon you have to be at least caster level 3 to enchant it.

Naomi Li
2013-11-26, 05:32 PM
To transform a masterwork weapon or armour into a magical one, the process is fairly simple.

First, the character must have a sufficient marketplace to acquire the magical reagents (I think every city would count, and probably most villages/towns) and spend gp to acquire reagents equal to 1/2 the base price. They must also sacrifice 1/25 the base price in experience. So, to make a piece of masterwork armour into a +1 magical one, the process is fairly simple. Pay 500 gp for the reagents and 40 experience points. Spend one day crafting (taking 8 hours). The process is complete. A weapon's costs are twice as high as armours, taking 1000 gp, 80 experience points, and 2 days to craft.

There are a few other restrictions: First, adding a +1 enhancement bonus to the weapon/armour is mandatory before you can add on any special abilities. You must have a caster level at least equal to enhancement bonus*3 to add it. Special abilities have their own prerequisites as well.

I hope I explained that well. (Though this might have been better put into the 3.5 FAQ)

Chronos
2013-11-26, 07:12 PM
Don't you also need to have a workshop or laboratory to work in?

dmjay
2013-11-26, 07:22 PM
Thanks everyone, you have confirmed what I thought was right.

Ok thanks, I get it now. I referenced the dmg but it just wasn't clear to me when i read it. (enhancing a +1 with ablilities or what have you was clear just not the mwk -> +1) but i think i got it now. Thanks!

Prereqs:
Location and proper tools.
The Masterwork Item

Price:
Pay 1/25th of the base price in XP (so +1 (1000gp base) armor would be 40xp and a +2 weapon (8000gp base) would be 320xp)
Half the Market value in GP (so +1 armor would be 500gp and a +2 weapon would be 4000gp)
Time is 1 day per 1000 in total base value of item. (1 day for +1 armor, 8 days for +2 weapon)

TETanglebrooke
2013-11-26, 08:15 PM

that's fluff not crunch

Flickerdart
2013-11-26, 08:19 PM

Tony Stark was able to build this in a cave! With a box of scraps! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtntTvuv8Aw)