PDA

View Full Version : Shenanigans in a dimensional pocket [DnD 3.5]

Gaiyamato
2013-11-26, 06:59 PM
Question:

If a player is trapped in a pocket dimension - like being inside a bag of holding etc. and they attempt to use dimension door to get out then what happens?

Does the spell fizzle? Do they die? Or does it loop them back and they just reappear inside again?

CyberThread
2013-11-26, 07:01 PM
read up on what happens you put a bag of holding, within a bag of holding.

Gaiyamato
2013-11-26, 07:05 PM
Not quite the same thing though is it?
Dimension Door (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dimensionDoor.htm).

The way I am reading it they would take damage and wind up back where they began. Or just.. die...

TuggyNE
2013-11-26, 07:29 PM
The spell requires you select a space within range, but the dimensional pocket only extends so far. Outside of that there simply aren't any spaces to select, occupied by objects or otherwise, so you can't try to cast the spell to move outside that.

Thus, you wouldn't take any damage but it wouldn't get you anywhere special either. It certainly has no chance of getting you out, since DD is not plane shift.

Gaiyamato
2013-11-26, 07:34 PM
Plane shift wont get you out either.
Normally wish is the only way in or out of the bag.

However I think normally by RAW you are right. They can only target a space within the bag.

Now then extending this out to the current issue. There is a room, it is in an extradimensional space that sits outside of time and space (kind of like the inside of the tardis. The outside of the room is still there in the prime material plane however. )
Players are plucked from all over the world and are placed inside for a short time. But they foolishly killed the guys who can deactivate the room and they don't have Decipher Script and UMD ranks.. (queue evil GM laughter). :smallsigh: :smallamused:

Now a player who is supposed to be on the other side of the world but is temporarily inside the room at the same time in time (two places at once in space, one place in time....) wants to dimension door out of the room into the location where it's outer walls are hundreds of miles away from where he began...

I am thinking of going with ripping a hole into the astral plane, something really really strange, or it just not working.....

nedz
2013-11-26, 07:38 PM
I am thinking of going with ripping a hole into the astral plane, something really really strange, or it just not working.....

By RAW: DD just doesn't work across planar boundaries.

Gaiyamato
2013-11-26, 07:45 PM
By RAW: DD just doesn't work across planar boundaries.

What I was thinking.

Except the world is a Dreamscape with it's own astral plane inside it with the extradimensional space inside that...

Actually it is worse than that.. It is a Dreamscape inside a plane (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/genesis.htm) with it's own astral plane with the extradimensional room inside it.. several times over...

Head-desk (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zj0QMqPgAY)

Going to just make stuff up.
But thanks for the help on the DD. As I had thought. Just was not sure if they take damage from a failed attempt or the spell simply does not work as they cannot target outside the room.

TuggyNE
2013-11-26, 08:49 PM
Plane shift wont get you out either.

How's that? Plane shift probably won't get you in, sure, since there's not much chance of having the right focus attuned, but getting out should be fine.

Well, unless you read plane shift as only allowing travel from the Material to some other plane and not between planes or back to the Material, which seems unreasonable to me.

Gaiyamato
2013-11-26, 08:58 PM
How's that? Plane shift probably won't get you in, sure, since there's not much chance of having the right focus attuned, but getting out should be fine.

Well, unless you read plane shift as only allowing travel from the Material to some other plane and not between planes or back to the Material, which seems unreasonable to me.

Good point. So yeah.. it should get you out normally.