PDA

View Full Version : Height/Weight Questions

Yogibear41
2013-11-26, 08:57 PM
How big should a medium and large sized tome dragon be as far as height and weight?

I'm thinking relatively close to human size for medium, a little bigger based of a picture in draconomicon of a medium sized gold dragon standing next to a human.

Not sure on weight though, pounds would be great but I'm good enough at math to work with kilos too :smallcool:

Greenish
2013-11-26, 09:27 PM
Here's (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/movementPositionAndDistance.htm#bigandLittleCreatu resInCombat) the table giving the approximate height (or length) and weight by size category. I don't have Draconomicon at hand to eyeball, but if it's little larger than a human, it probably also weights a little more than one.

yougi
2013-11-26, 09:30 PM
When describing beast-like monsters, I usually compare their sizes to animals of that size: tiny is a cat, small is a large dog, medium is a large pig, large is a horse, huge is a rhino (or elephant), and Gargantuan is a whale. I'd probably base your height/weight evaluations on real life numbers for such animals.

That being said, flying beasts should be lighter than non-flying ones, or they'd never leave the ground. Then again, magic.

cakellene
2013-11-27, 06:09 AM
When describing beast-like monsters, I usually compare their sizes to animals of that size: tiny is a cat, small is a large dog, medium is a large pig, large is a horse, huge is a rhino (or elephant), and Gargantuan is a whale. I'd probably base your height/weight evaluations on real life numbers for such animals.

That being said, flying beasts should be lighter than non-flying ones, or they'd never leave the ground. Then again, magic.

According to Draconomicon, dragons have air sacs that aid in flight.

hamishspence
2013-11-27, 06:14 AM
From what I recall, the listed weights & wingspans, when correlated to volume (estimated from length and shape) aren't really compatible with "can fly without magic".

Maybe the physics of flight is different in D&D-land?