PDA

View Full Version : The Mandate: Too Good to be true?

Scowling Dragon
2013-11-26, 09:44 PM
Well The Mandate (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1964463742/the-mandate/?ref=kicktraq) has succeeded in its kickstarter......I backed it...

It looks and reads amazing. This just is.....Amazing. Its creative, it looks cool.

Space combat, Politics, Overhead Tactical combat all in one game.

How is this even possible? It looks legit, and the evidence seems pretty good.

But it feels too good to be true.

Is this even possible? I'm asking all the game/ tech geeks on the site if a project like this could even be possible and still have depth to it? Or is it all smoke and mirrors to be revealed as impossible with the current tech without the most basic and banal of gameplay?

Or Worse just Vapourware?

Starbuck_II
2013-11-27, 12:07 AM
Guess we will find out sometime after 5 days when it comes out.

Mewtarthio
2013-11-27, 01:07 AM
Guess we will find out sometime after 5 days when it comes out.

Er, you are aware that we're funding the production of the game, right? Because they currently estimate a 2015 release date.

factotum
2013-11-27, 02:34 AM
I don't see why it shouldn't be possible. The main reason that a modern triple-A title costs $100 million to make is down to the graphics--back in the days when they couldn't spend that sort of money on the pretty pretty, games with as much depth (or more) than the Mandate were ten a penny. Since I don't think they're aiming for AAA class graphics on this thing, they should be able to achieve what they're promising. Even if they only achieve half of it, it'll still be better than most of the dross that passes for games these days...

Grif
2013-11-27, 03:00 AM
From what I read, they'll be using a lot of cheap middleware in order to make the game. Since they're not gunning for cutting edge realism like current Call of Duty or Battlefield-esque games does, I don't expect costs to be very high, relatively speaking.

Dumbledore lives
2013-11-27, 04:40 AM
I don't see why it shouldn't be possible. The main reason that a modern triple-A title costs $100 million to make is down to the graphics--back in the days when they couldn't spend that sort of money on the pretty pretty, games with as much depth (or more) than the Mandate were ten a penny. Since I don't think they're aiming for AAA class graphics on this thing, they should be able to achieve what they're promising. Even if they only achieve half of it, it'll still be better than most of the dross that passes for games these days...

That is thoroughly untrue. Just counting salaries they have a team of 14 people, and the game will likely take at least two years, and including beta and release it looks like that is what they have budgeted for. That alone is probably the entire funding for the kickstarter, including taxes and other miscellaneous fees. When you have teams of hundreds of people just working on design and development these costs skyrocket, especially including hardware and software, and licensing costs and all the other expenses that just kind of accrue.

As for the actual game the ideas they have are good, and it has a decent chance at actually happening. I can't afford to back it right now but if I could I would certainly consider it, probably at the level that gets the game and not much else. The only problem I see is overscoping, and it looks like they are addressing it with almost enough consideration.

Aotrs Commander
2013-11-27, 06:55 AM
Well, I'm reasonably hopeful.

Though if I'm brutally honest, I mostly backed it because I was promised 3D printable starships. (In one of the reward tiers.) So even if it's a bit crap (not that i expect it to be, starships is worth it...)

factotum
2013-11-27, 07:53 AM
That is thoroughly untrue. Just counting salaries they have a team of 14 people, and the game will likely take at least two years, and including beta and release it looks like that is what they have budgeted for. That alone is probably the entire funding for the kickstarter, including taxes and other miscellaneous fees. When you have teams of hundreds of people just working on design and development these costs skyrocket, especially including hardware and software, and licensing costs and all the other expenses that just kind of accrue.

So which part of what I said is untrue, then? All those hundreds of people working on design and development--what are they working on if not for the graphics? It sure as heck can't be the gameplay or the level design, given how small and constrained a typical modern AAA title is!

BRC
2013-11-27, 10:41 AM
I've backed it. It looks reasonable that it could happen, and it looks very fun.
I'm also encouraged by the fact that it does not look like it will be getting many stretch goals. Stretch Goals=Project Inflation=missed deadlines.

I want my Starships Godangit!

mistformsquirrl
2013-11-27, 10:49 AM
We'll just have to wait and see < . .> I backed it; I'm excited for it - the concept is stellar after all; if they can deliver half of what they want to do then I honestly think we're in for a pretty awesome game.

My biggest hope for The Mandate though isn't even related to the game itself: It's the hope that it will show big publishers that a game like this can succeed and that it's worth devoting resources to projects that aren't built on the exact same mold as everything gone before.

That's probably asking too much, but I can hope.

Cikomyr
2013-11-27, 06:18 PM
What I like most about this game's design is how much the writers seem to give a flair of a real-world to the information you read. Makes it feel.. damn real.

For example; if you look at the most recent update and the Captain Wrack's profile, they mention that a normal hull needs about 17 seconds to cut through (the Marines call it "the Devil's minute").

PAF. Suddenly, I am pictured how it must be to be a marines sent to board an ennemy vessel. Your shuttle is completely defenseless, latched on the ennemy's ship. You are sitting duck for 17 seconds until you can breach the hull and do your job.

That's called realism. That's call worldbuilding.

Rockphed
2013-11-27, 08:07 PM
I want to back it at the level that gets me the game and the first few DLCs. I still need to convince my wife to make room in the budget by Monday. The thing that convinced me was that Battlestar Galactica was one of their sources of inspiration and that ships could be configured as carriers. My favourite game almost ever was Homeworld, and I think this does a very good job capturing the same vibe, if on a different scale.

Remmirath
2013-11-27, 09:16 PM
I've always felt there aren't enough good sci-fi RPGs out there (or sci-fi RPGs at all), so even if it turns out to be not particularly remarkable I'll still be interested in it. The concept is great enough I'm willing to take a chance.

It sounds doable to me, although as implied, chancy. As others have noted, they're not going for bleeding edge graphics or anything, and they have a relatively small team. There does seem to be some danger that they're aiming a bit high, but I tend to be of the opinion that it's better to aim high and not quite reach than to aim low.

Dumbledore lives
2013-11-27, 09:45 PM
So which part of what I said is untrue, then? All those hundreds of people working on design and development--what are they working on if not for the graphics? It sure as heck can't be the gameplay or the level design, given how small and constrained a typical modern AAA title is!

The artists and some of the programmers are working on graphics true, but others are working on the physics engine or AI or level design or audio design or testing or one of a hundred other things. Honestly I'm not sure if they've budgeted quite correctly if they just make their kickstarter budget, but I wish them the best of luck.

Starbuck_II
2013-11-28, 05:56 AM
Er, you are aware that we're funding the production of the game, right? Because they currently estimate a 2015 release date.

I did say some time after 5 days :smallbiggrin:

Tebryn
2013-11-28, 06:02 AM
While it looks like a really awesome game and something right up my alley I'm going to take a probably unpopular stance and say that if both Total Biscuit and Angry Joe have both expressed their love for this game I honestly might not like it. We'll see, but my tastes in video games are so diametrically opposed to the pair (especially TB) that I'm now really leery about this title. I'm glad they got their funding however, that's a big goal.

Cikomyr
2013-11-28, 10:50 AM
Tebryn: there is nothing wrong with just disliking something. One's enjoyment of game is a purely subjective matter and shouldn't be put up to scrutiny.

If you had come telling that this game sucked and we were all fantards for putting money to it, then we'd have taken offense. But you just expressed your personal opinion, and I am a-Okay with it! :smallbiggrin: You can't please them all

Tengu_temp
2013-11-28, 05:02 PM
While it looks like a really awesome game and something right up my alley I'm going to take a probably unpopular stance and say that if both Total Biscuit and Angry Joe have both expressed their love for this game I honestly might not like it. We'll see, but my tastes in video games are so diametrically opposed to the pair (especially TB) that I'm now really leery about this title. I'm glad they got their funding however, that's a big goal.

I think this approach is a bit premature, considering the game is still in production. Also, I'm pretty sure you liked some games these two liked as well, and this might be another such title.

Tebryn
2013-11-28, 05:17 PM
Yes well, this is the internet. Having even semi-reasonable reasons (which I fully admit fearing dislike based on two popular gaming figures is not fully reasonable) can be taken as...what you said. It's a game I very well might like despite TB and Angry Joe all the same. I'll have to wait and see especially since it's not slated for a few more years.

Cikomyr
2013-11-30, 09:11 PM
The Mandate breached 600K and is now at 630K, with only 27 hours to go!

Maybe they can reach 700K?

Airk
2013-12-02, 11:33 AM
I tossed these guys some money, but I'm extremely skeptical they can actually deliver what they are promising unless they have some external source of funding. Unless of course the 14 or however many of them basically intend to subsist on starvation rations until the game comes out. I mean seriously. They got around 715k. Minus the Kickstarter cut, which I believe is 10%. 643k. Divide by 14? Each of your employees is drawing a 'salary' of 46k per...well, about 16 months? About 35k per annum? Assuming the project has ZERO additional expenses (which is basically an absolute impossibility).

Either they've got some other form of funding, they're eating ramen nonstop until the game comes out, or it's not going to happen as advertised.

Ailurus
2013-12-02, 04:18 PM
I tossed these guys some money, but I'm extremely skeptical they can actually deliver what they are promising unless they have some external source of funding. Unless of course the 14 or however many of them basically intend to subsist on starvation rations until the game comes out. I mean seriously. They got around 715k. Minus the Kickstarter cut, which I believe is 10%. 643k. Divide by 14? Each of your employees is drawing a 'salary' of 46k per...well, about 16 months? About 35k per annum? Assuming the project has ZERO additional expenses (which is basically an absolute impossibility).

Either they've got some other form of funding, they're eating ramen nonstop until the game comes out, or it's not going to happen as advertised.

valid point, but there's nothing stopping them from getting additional funding and/or preorders during the next year or two. That's how Wasteland 2 and Star Citizen are doing it, even though both their kickstarters ended ages ago.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-12-02, 04:36 PM
Or they could be doing this with part-time jobs.

Airk
2013-12-02, 04:42 PM
Or they could be doing this with part-time jobs.

Sure; In which case I deem their delivery date to be unrealistic given the scope of the project.

But yes, there's nothing stopping them from seeking additional funding, but I always prefer it if people are upfront about that kind of thing. Festival Of Magic (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/171497873/festival-of-magic?ref=live) (Which, incidentally, is not anywhere close to the scope of The Mandate, IMHO) comes right out and says it - we expect this game to cost $900k more than we've already spent on it. They are kickstarting for $250k, and hope to raise the rest via various means.

So yeah. I won't be surprised to see The Mandate struggling for more money in the future, but every once in a while, even I put my money on a long bet.

Rockphed
2013-12-02, 05:22 PM
Or the half million they set as their goal could have been the difference between their current capital and what they expect to need to make The Mandate. And 35k per year is a little low for programming, but it is not starvation wages.

Kane
2013-12-02, 05:28 PM
Seems pretty sweet. I'm annoyed they got so close to $750,000 and didn't get it because that would have gotten the bonus material distributed to my pledge level but such is life. I'm glad they intend to try and support mods anyway, despite not making 800k.

Really hopeful and wary of disappointment, since they've massed a lot less than any other kickstarter I've been suckered by yet. (But on the other hand, I was so pleased with Shadowrun Returns this summer...)

Hope they manage to get it all put together.

Grif
2013-12-02, 07:59 PM
Or the half million they set as their goal could have been the difference between their current capital and what they expect to need to make The Mandate. And 35k per year is a little low for programming, but it is not starvation wages.

It does sound like they already have some seed capital and Kickstarter is only a source of income.

Airk
2013-12-03, 01:52 PM

35k per year was assuming that ABSOLUTELY NO MONEY went to ANYTHING other than paying people. At the end of the day, they're unlikely to be using even half of that for salaries.

But yes, they PROBABLY have another source of income, but as a big, muddled team of random people, one has to ask the question. It's not like Wayforward and the Shantae kickstarter or something, where you have an established company making the game.