PDA

View Full Version : Where is this device from?

The Prince of Cats
2007-01-13, 08:11 AM
Working on the theory part of a new setting, to look for glaring holes before even committing it to paper, I remembered an item that I just cannot find a source for...

It consists of two cubes connected on one face, which constantly rotate about one another. The force behind them is tremendous and they just cannot be stopped by normal means. All they do is keep turning, even if it means breaking an attempt at restraints.

As I think about it, I think it may have been discworld...

Temmybear
2007-01-14, 12:56 AM
I don't the name of the thing, but it's a dwarfish device that appears in "Thud!" The one you're refering to is talked over by Carrot and the Patrician very close to the end of the book.

Hope this helps.

The Prince of Cats
2007-01-14, 09:25 AM
Thanks, that explains it.

I was sure it was dwarven, though I was thinking D&D. I searched the DM Guides (3.0, 3.5 and even 2e) before realising I was wrong. I even considered it could be dwemer technology from Morrowind but nothing came out of that.

Somehow, the thought of re-reading my whole Pratchett collection seemed daunting. He has written an insane number of books.

Temmybear
2007-01-14, 11:58 AM
Somehow, the thought of re-reading my whole Pratchett collection seemed daunting. He has written an insane number of books.

That's bad!?!:confused:

The Evil Thing
2007-01-14, 01:17 PM
It certainly is if you're trying to find a reference to a particular thing but don't know which book it's in. :smallbiggrin:

Isn't Pratchett the most shoplifted author in Britain? I heard that somewhere...

GuesssWho
2007-01-27, 06:53 PM
Yup.
Of course, the most stolen book in the world is the Bible, so . . .