PDA

View Full Version : I have built a wierd thing.

unseenmage
2013-11-26, 11:13 PM
What I did:
- Level 14 Psionic Artificer (MoE42) (ECL16 but +2 LA)
- Takes Improved Homunculus (MoE49) for it's Dedicated Wright Homunculus (ECS285)
- Advanced the Dedicated Wright Homunculus to 12 HD via Craft Homunculus class feature (ECS32 & errata)
(this is where it gets confusing)
- Gives the Dedicated Wright Homunculus the feats Item Familiar (UA170), Ancestral Relic (BoED39), Least Legacy (WoL14), and Truebond (DMG2pg232).
- The item buffing feats are affecting a Hammer of the Magesmith (AaEG109)

What have I wrought Playground?

Mind you, the Dedicated Wright Homunculus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/homunculus.htm) will die if I die. (I'm not sure if a Contingent Greater Teleport (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/teleportGreater.htm) into a vat of Quintessence (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/quintessence.htm) will save him.)
And as a Construct minion it does not gain xp or cast spells, which are two of the best uses for Item Familiar.

My problem is, what do I have now?
What's the price of the Hammer of the Magesmith now?
And what additional powers does it have?

Making it an Intelligent magic Weapon with Sizing, Morphing, and Flying (+1 weapon enhancement from MoF140) would be awesome. Just not sure it's doable.

unseenmage
2013-11-27, 02:13 PM
Is there a reason why one could not use Ancestral Relic funds to pay for the Truebon Bonding Ritual (admittedly just Item Creation without the feats) or the Founding Ritual for Least Legacy (excepting the xp bit of course)?

Crake
2013-11-27, 02:23 PM
I'm not sure a construct can qualify for ancestral relic, since the item needs to be passed down from a family member.

AstralFire
2013-11-27, 02:26 PM
My favorite type of optimization is weird optimization, but due to a lack of familiarity with Artificer, I don't quite understand what I'm seeing here?

unseenmage
2013-11-27, 02:43 PM
My favorite type of optimization is weird optimization, but due to a lack of familiarity with Artificer, I don't quite understand what I'm seeing here?

The artificer stuff is less important. Guess i typed it all up so I could get it straight in my own head.

Point is, the Dedicated Wright Homunculus is taking four item buffing feats in a row, all applied to a Hammer of the Magesmith (AaEG).

I've figured some of it out this morning. Least Legacy cannot apply to the Hammer of the Magesmith as is, so making it a Hammer of the Magesmith will have to happen later when he takes the Ancestral Relic feat.

Right now I'm trying to figure out if the special abilities granted by the item being a Weapon of Legacy and an Item Familiar count towards the item's Market Price. (I suppose the WoL stuff would, but the Item Familiar stuff explicitly doesn't work for someone else.)

I'm not sure a construct can qualify for ancestral relic, since the item needs to be passed down from a family member.

It can, the Construct's creator is it's parent. And Ancestral Relic has a more general 'connected somehow' clause in there too.

The one point it does break down is that the owner of an Item Familiar has to be proficient in it's use if the item is a weapon.
Not sure if I can substitute the Dedicated Wright's "Hammer" natural attack for a Hammer of the Magesmith or not.
Using the 'Constructs as Magic Items' rules interpretation I guess i could just add the properties of the item to the construct though...

Thrice Dead Cat
2013-11-27, 11:34 PM
Note that the gold limit imposed by Ancestral Relic applies to whatever Item Familiar gives, too, so you would be better spent using it on another item.

unseenmage
2013-11-28, 01:10 AM
Note that the gold limit imposed by Ancestral Relic applies to whatever Item Familiar gives, too, so you would be better spent using it on another item.

Are you saying that the abilities provided by item Familiar get added to the item's Market Price?

Wouldn't too those granted by Weapon of Legacy?