PDA

View Full Version : Sword that makes you stronger with kills?

Gwazi Magnum
2013-11-27, 12:36 AM
In a previous campaign under completely different mechanics my guy got a sword at some point that made him stronger with each creature he killed with a powerful soul (so human or greater, but no animal killing and such).

I was wondering if d&d 3.5 had any equivalent.

TroubleBrewing
2013-11-27, 01:56 AM
Greater Consumptive Field is a spell that does something akin to that.

hymer
2013-11-27, 03:19 AM
The closest that come to my mind is the Crystal of Life Drinking (MIC64-65). You do sort of get stronger with every kill via XP, but that's probably not what you were wanting. :smallsmile:

Madwand99
2013-11-27, 04:46 AM
You are looking for Blackrazor, a Stormbringer ripoff from the original White Plume Mountain adventure. There are many newer incarnations of this weapon around, from a Legacy item to something in the Arms and Equipment Guide, but none of them are as powerful as the original. Not even close. You got levels from killing stuff from the original.

Biotroll
2013-11-27, 05:22 AM
Greater Consumptive Field is a spell that does something akin to that.

Death Knell would be better imo. It affects only one target (the one you would cut down) but gives the same bonuses without limiting your CL gain and has duration of 10min/HD of killed creature instead of round/HD. It's also only 2nd lvl spell instead of 4th for consumptive field or 7th for great version.

If you don't want custom items your best bet might be what Madwand99 proposes (though I've never played or seen the adventure, so I cannot tell how strong it is). If you are restricted to DMG only, Sword of Life Stealing (pg. 228) is your best bet. It's underwhelming as it only works on critical hits and bonuses aren't great, but it's core.

limejuicepowder
2013-11-27, 08:18 AM
Wouldn't any sword do this?

1) kill stuff
2) gain XP
3) gain levels
4) ???
5) profit

Fax Celestis
2013-11-27, 11:20 AM
Like the Eyelander?

Legendxp
2013-11-27, 11:30 AM
I know there is a 'bloodthirsty' weapon enchantment somewhere in chet erez (google it, you'll be pleasantly surprised at the amount of D&D information). It gives you a +2 bonus to attack and damage if you've killed a creature in the last 24 hours.

Prime32
2013-11-27, 11:52 AM
Wouldn't any sword do this?

1) kill stuff
2) gain XP
3) gain levels
4) ???
5) profitJust fluff the entire party's XP progresion as soul-eating. It's not like most people in the setting can level up that fast anyway.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-11-27, 05:25 PM
You guys are on track.

I'm basically looking for a weapon that provides a bonus or benefit to a character whenever they kill someone. A benefit that would make wanting to kill more people even if innocent tempting (and not as in make a will save. I mean make the player go "If I kill those people I can get this".

Though I don't want it be limited times per day or anything. It can be whenever they slay a foe.

Fax Celestis
2013-11-27, 05:40 PM
Then you almost definitely want Blackrazor.

The original article is down from the WotC site, but the relevant part is here (https://philo-s-crossing.obsidianportal.com/items/110711). The mechanics for Legacy Weapons are detailed in the book Weapons of Legacy.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-11-27, 06:36 PM
IIRC, there's something like this in Dragon Magic. It's a dragon-killing sword that gets more potent (for a limited time, unfortunately) while attacking creatures of the Dragon type.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-11-28, 01:34 AM
Then you almost definitely want Blackrazor.

The original article is down from the WotC site, but the relevant part is here (https://philo-s-crossing.obsidianportal.com/items/110711). The mechanics for Legacy Weapons are detailed in the book Weapons of Legacy.

I saw it.

Though my main concern here is what's the use of having a soul in a sword?
Especially where after the next kill the soul is simply replaced since I can only hold one?

IIRC, there's something like this in Dragon Magic. It's a dragon-killing sword that gets more potent (for a limited time, unfortunately) while attacking creatures of the Dragon type.

Too specific enemy wise... :/
That sounds like I need to be a dragon hunter to get much use out of it.