PDA

View Full Version : Any gambler/con-artist character ideas?

Macelock
2013-11-27, 01:24 AM
Any idea on how to create a great gambler/con-artist character like classes, races, feats and stuff like that? *edit* Ill be a lvl 10 to start with and my DM has NOT banned leadership.

FinnDarkblade
2013-11-27, 01:30 AM
If you can get ahold of and be allowed to use the Book of Roguish Luck then there's a spell in there that makes any target that fails its save believe the next thing you tell it. It's rather abusable.
*edit* It's called Charming Lie and is a level 2 Bard spell. Bards in general can be pretty good at this, although as usual your best bet is a Wizard. An enchanter wizard could become an unstoppable con artist. If you'd like something a little more niche then the Beguiler works pretty well too.

TETanglebrooke
2013-11-27, 01:33 AM
I know there is a spell called cheat, which would be very useful for you.
Luckblade with no wishes, reroll anything 1/day
Complete scoundrel has several luck reroll feats.

Gathering a bunch of reroll opportunities always seemed like the most gambler thing to do to me. I have never played it so that's all I can remember right now.

Craft (Cheese)
2013-11-27, 01:46 AM
Con-artist character ideas, huh?

Well, this is 100% an RP idea, and it'd require heavy cooperation with the DM, but it's something I always wanted to try: A character who doesn't exist.

No, not a character who pretends to be someone they're not. They'd only seem to interact with the rest of the party remotely, always seeming to act out of sight, seeming to leave notes and seeming to send telepathic messages to communicate their "intentions."

Except they aren't real, they're just a series of lucky coincidences (and auditory hallucinations) that the rest of the party assumes to a be caused by a single, seemingly omnipotent and omniscient force with coherent motivations.

Would work best in a PvP-focused game where I'm basically the villain.

TETanglebrooke
2013-11-27, 02:32 AM
Cheese: I think you'd be interested in this thread. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316451

killem2
2013-11-27, 11:16 AM
This is going to be largely charisma based way of going about your life.

I suggest watching the movie paper moon for a great example of a charismatic con artist that isn't exactly out to hurt their victims.

Gambler is a profession, and is used in the age of worms campaign a few times.

Bluff and Sleight of Hand skills are going to be useful here.

Diplomacy will be ace, because if you get thrown in the can for hustling people, at least you can talk your way out of it.

Bard is a decent choice, wizard could easily be a useful choice.

As far as race, You definitely want something with good charisma. Maybe a Illusion based sorcerer lol.

Clever use of http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/persistentImage.htm could also give you the correct card at the correct time.

Subaru Kujo
2013-11-27, 11:37 AM
I actually had a cleric that was sort of like this. Far too fat to follow his brother into the thieving trade, he took up the role of a cleric instead, scamming other churches out of opportunities to convert the layperson by offering healing for injured farmhands and the like at half price.

It also probably didn't help that he was also skimming off the top of his dues and was an unrepentant drunkard and gambler besides.

So it could even be done with a divine character iffing you wanted to.

Diovid
2013-11-27, 02:34 PM
This thread could give you some ideas: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307784

One build you could use is something like this:

Glimmerskin Halfling Bard 5 / Fortune's Friend 5 / Luckstealer 10.

Glimmerskin Halflings are from Dragon Magic, Fortune's Friend is from Complete Scoundrel and Luckstealer is from Races of the Wild. Check the note about how Luckstealers and luck feats interact in Complete Scoundrel (p. 73).

Particle_Man
2013-11-27, 10:26 PM
Beguiler might do what you want (PHB II) and you could look into luck feats (Complete Scoundrel).

Malconvoker is a con-artist that cons evil outsiders (also Complete Scoundrel).