PDA

View Full Version : Iron Avatar Questions

Roland St. Jude
2007-01-13, 09:36 AM
Do you like the Iron Avatar Contest? Would you like to donate some time to help it keep going?

Would you be willing to create trophies, plaques, or awards?

Are you interested in being a judge?

If the answer to either of the above is "yes," please quote the appropriate question and then tell me why you're the right person for the job. The main traits I'm looking for are 1) reliability/dependability; 2) prior involvement with the IA contest; 3) that je ne sais quoi.

B-Man
2007-01-13, 10:13 AM
Do you like the Iron Avatar Contest?Yes, I like the Iron Avatar Contest. I've been meaning to enter something, but I keep missing the boat ('specially for the Anime/Manga IA :smallfrown:).

Would you be willing to create trophies, plaques, or awards?I could try to make the trophies... but as of right now, I'm still just fooling around in Photoshop and Inkscape.

Are you interested in being a judge?Yes, but I'd rather enter some art... if I'm ever motivated to submit something.

If the answer to either of the above is "yes," please quote the appropriate question and then tell me why you're the right person for the job. The main traits I'm looking for are 1) reliability/dependability; 2) prior involvement with the IA contest; 3) that je ne sais quoi.
I do tend to frequent the boards often... just a wee bit too frequently... heh heh. and in regards to the third point in the above quote; you don't know what you're looking for?! :smallwink:

Ink
2007-01-13, 11:39 AM
Do you like the Iron Avatar Contest? Would you like to donate some time to help it keep going?

I do like the Iron Avatar, I love looking at shiny drawings! As far as my involvement goes, I've entered a couple or them maybe. I hardly make avatars now, so I don't think I'll be submitting anything in these contests anymore. So I'd be willing to contribute by judging or making awards if LiB doesn't want to. As long as the theme is something I have at least a minimal knowledge of (that is, not something like manga or anime which I'm clueless about) I wouldn't mind spending some time drawing a few trophies for the winners.

danielf
2007-01-13, 03:05 PM

Yep.

I could make some trophies if it was necessary, this one i'm using i have to made because no one made trophies for that IA-contest :(.

If i'm a judge i can't participate, this sux hehehe, but if no one wants to be judge, sure, just tell me before i enter some entry in the contest.

Well, i realy don't want any of the above jobs, but if it's necessary i will be happy to help.

Ego Slayer
2007-01-13, 04:31 PM

I love the contest even if I don't participate in every one. Looking at everyone's art is great. I'd like to be a judge if I'm not personally interested or unable to make entries in that particular contest.

Bookman
2007-01-13, 04:35 PM

Yes and yes :biggrin:

I LOVE watching all the art and creativity.

No as my artist skills are on par with a cockroach. :roach:

Sure! Well........if you'd have me.

1) I'm reliable when you need me! I'll have alot going on in the way of school but I can devote time to certain parts of the board.
2) my artist skills are sub par but I always try and view them.
3)I always have a certain flair of Flairness. (and such gift with words. :tongue:)

TinSoldier
2007-01-13, 06:49 PM
I've lost some interest in it, although I still think it's cool. I've just lost interest in the Arts and Crafts forum. I've got other stuff to read and it is sapping all of my time and interest.

I hope it keeps going, though, I am just not very interested in continuing participating in the judging myself.

Roland St. Jude
2007-01-13, 07:48 PM
I've lost some interest in it, although I still think it's cool. I've just lost interest in the Arts and Crafts forum. I've got other stuff to read and it is sapping all of my time and interest.

I hope it keeps going, though, I am just not very interested in continuing participating in the judging myself.

You've done an awesome job as judge and have been both reliable and enthusiastic about the contest. So I thank you for your efforts. By the same token, it's clear to me that some of the "old guard" of participants are losing interest, and so it's time for me to recruit some new blood. Not to replace you so much as to join in and stand ready as you (plural) decide to take a break.

You are, of course, welcome to rejoin us when your interest comes back around (and I hope you'll stay on to judge one last contest - the one that ends today.)

Dispozition
2007-01-14, 01:37 AM
I love the contest even if I don't participate in every one. Looking at everyone's art is great. I'd like to be a judge if I'm not personally interested or unable to make entries in that particular contest.

I'm with you on this one. I'd love to be able to judge the competition. Most of the time I don't like the genre, nor do I think I'll be able to draw well enough. Judging would be fun. Hard, but fun.

DarkCorax
2007-01-14, 07:34 AM

Yes! Yes.

Yes, I would.

I wouldn't mind being a judge for a competition, so long as it wasn't one I was going to enter.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2007-01-14, 08:13 PM
I have been lurking in the arts and crafts from before I actually joined, and I have checked through all IA contests (Didn't Wu start them? *My memory may not be the best here though....*), and I am willing to dedicate time to keeping them going, although they seem to be growing at an alarming rate as it is.

I did one
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j139/z-t/path9221.png
But that was because I wanted Chris the Pontofix to win, and well, he was entering pixie Death, what could I do but make a trophy

Yes, hopefully not to many other people have said about it, I am to slow finding these threads...

1) Well, Death has to be the most responsible personification in the world.
I haven't once missed an appointment. :smallwink:
I am often on in the morning/night each day, and I can be relied to read all the thread.
2) As stated I have read them all, I comment sometimes in them, and actually entered one (god knows why) the other day. I always read the request an oots avatar and the oots showoff area, so I have had a lot of interaction with the art.
3)This is prejudice against an Aussie reaper!
*Death leaves and comes back with a french breadstick and a bear-ray*
Je suis fromage. Je adore le brie. Je ne parle pas francious tres bein.
*Death then goes off stage and the normal one returns*
Well, either way I have a network of arty friends who I can always run them by if the going gets tough.

There is three extra years of life span involved in this if you pick me Roland! ....Surely bribery is allowed?

Alarra
2007-01-15, 12:06 AM
I always like judging these, but I wouldn't want to be a permanent fixture, as I like to enter sometimes too.

Roland St. Jude
2007-01-15, 01:51 AM
Good response so far. I'll let this go a few more days and then assemble a list.

For the record, judges always have the option to opt out of judging any given contest, whether to participate or just because they want to. So don't let your participation dampen your interest, unless you're one of those rare folks who enter every single contest and value that over your interest in judging.

Mr_Saturn
2007-01-15, 02:04 AM
Good response so far. I'll let this go a few more days and then assemble a list.

For the record, judges always have the option to opt out of judging any given contest, whether to participate or just because they want to. So don't let your participation dampen your interest, unless you're one of those rare folks who enter every single contest and value that over your interest in judging.

Okay then, ill stick my foot in as a judge. :smallconfused: I have high standards and am very objective in my ratings. :smallwink:

Yup, yup.

Would you be willing to create trophies, plaques, or awards?Ummmmmm, no, not really. On second thought...maybe

Are you interested in being a judge?Scroll up

If the answer to either of the above is "yes," please quote the appropriate question and then tell me why you're the right person for the job. The main traits I'm looking for are 1) reliability/dependability; 2) prior involvement with the IA contest; 3) that je ne sais quoi.1. OotS closet-addict
2. Several entries in previous IA contests
3. Its all greek to me. and I don't understand greek. But it looks french o___O

Rex Idiotarum
2007-01-15, 02:06 AM
Yes

I'll try, but anything I'll Do will probably be animated...

Very, I'll rate everyone based on quality, setting, likeness to what they are going for, and overall detail.

If the answer to either of the above is "yes," please quote the appropriate question and then tell me why you're the right person for the job. The main traits I'm looking for are 1) reliability/dependability; 2) prior involvement with the IA contest; 3) that je ne sais quoi.1) Daily Poster
2) I did once.
3)Okay, you got me...But I'm the king of Research and dedication.

Oblivion
2007-01-15, 11:44 AM

A lot and yes! :smallbiggrin:

I would love to, but real life keeps getting in the way. I don't even have as much time as I would like to participate in the contest... But in my "downtimes" (I'm a student) I would love to dedicate time to it.

Indeed! :smallsmile:

1) Trophies: I don't think I could be THAT reliable to do it for every contests, but I could be able to step up when you badly need somebody to do it (grad students are always looking for a reason to procrastinate!).
Judging: I read the Arts and Crafts section every day, and it's my favorite section on the boards. Since I'm already keeping myself updated with what is done, it wouldn't be too much additional work to judge it (and see above reason in parenthesis :smalltongue:).

2) I participated in a couple of IAs and won a couple of awards.

3) Je parles français! :smallbiggrin: [/jk] I'm interested in a wide range of things (mostly geeky things though) so I have a wide general culture that could help me in the judging. I'm also old enough (sorry youngsters :smalltongue:) to also know about older stuff (like for the 80's IA). And well I just really love the contest! I wish I could be more involved in it, but lack of time doesn't allow me to participate as much as I'd like. So, by judging, and maybe sometimes doing some trophies, I would still be an "active member" of the community (even though now I lurk more than I post).

Roland St. Jude
2007-02-26, 05:26 PM
Anyone above, or anyone else willing, have an interest in drawing Erfworld Trophies for our winners? I'm in need of some immediately (1st-3rd Best Erfworld Avatar in the Animated Inanimate Objects contest) and probably a few with each contest later. Interested parties please PM me immediately!

Roland St. Jude
2008-02-11, 09:07 PM
Let me just renew my questions here. We have need of some new judges and possibly a trophy-maker. If you think you might be interested, please see the OP and respond. Thanks! :smallamused:

Shades of Gray
2008-02-11, 09:16 PM

I enjoy the IA contests.

I would be willing to donate some time to help keep it going.

I would be willing to make trophies and plaques.

1. I go on the forums everyday.

2. I've made 4 previous entries, in the cyberpunk, mod madness, and

3. Je parle le francais. Je suis le fromage!

But seriously, I really like the IA contests. And I go through the thread 2-3 times and judge them for myself.

Trazoi
2008-02-11, 09:23 PM
I've only participated in one contest so I'm not sure I've got the experience expected, but I wouldn't mind helping out with judging once a month. I've got limited time to actually enter in the next few months; I've been spending what time I can spare on working on my own simple art style rather than making avatars. But I'd love to lend a hand; I can spare a few hours every month to see what everyone's been up to.

For experience, I've been a judge in other talent competitions, both in real life and online. On forums, I've mainly judged computer game creating contests, and ran one last year (with real prizes and everything). My main weakness is I'm not into D&D, fantasy and anime/manga nearly as much as most people on this board seem to be, so I mightn't be able to get some of the references without a spot of Wikipedia and Google research.

In a pinch I could make trophies if no-one else was able to step up, although I'd be happy to stand aside for anyone else.

Serpentine
2008-02-11, 11:59 PM
Do you like the Iron Avatar Contest?Yup.

Would you like to donate some time to help it keep going? Er... I've already fallen behind with the Hall of Fame, so for non-specified tasks I'll probably have to say no to be safe.

Would you be willing to create trophies, plaques, or awards?Possibly, but I'm not that good at it (see: Donkey of Doom trophies), and also may be subject to limitation by other engagements.

Are you interested in being a judge?Yup! Like the others, though, I do like to enter a lot of them... I think I'm actually more likely to judge than make if I'm busy, though.

1) reliability/dependability>.>
<.<
v.v

2) prior involvement with the IA contestYa.

3) that je ne sais quoi.Oui :smallwink: I... have little idea what that means.

Anyone above, or anyone else willing, have an interest in drawing Erfworld Trophies for our winners? I'm in need of some immediately (1st-3rd Best Erfworld Avatar in the Animated Inanimate Objects contest) and probably a few with each contest later. Interested parties please PM me immediately!Er... immediately? I'm not likely to get around to putting them in the HoF for at least a couple of days, so unless you're wanting them for another reason they'll have a bit of time...

Roland St. Jude
2008-02-12, 12:18 AM
...Er... immediately? I'm not likely to get around to putting them in the HoF for at least a couple of days, so unless you're wanting them for another reason they'll have a bit of time...

Actually, that bit of the OP is old. :smallredface: I'll PM you about the rest of it.

Ichneumon
2008-02-12, 12:37 AM

Yes and I would donate.

No, my art styles are not good enoiugh.

Yes, I would be interested in being a judge, but could you tell we how much work it is?

Dallas-Dakota
2008-02-12, 01:56 AM
Yes and Yes. I know I don't have much time but I'l make time for it:smallamused:

Trophies : I'm not that good of a throphie maker.
Plaques : yes.
Awards : Yes for 99% of the time.

Yes, only a reserve judge for the case somebody doesnt want to judge for a few or one contests.

1 I'm on every morning, in the afternoon for 30min/1 hour. And then most of the evening. As you probably know, I post very regularly in the A&C forum, I always read the entire IA thread. My reliability is good, though I'm full time going to school, I am plenty online during the day(Mind you, I'm dutch, so we could be in a different time zone).
2 I have entered entries in prior contests, since I have joined I have always checked the IA contests, even before I started posting there.
3 Je parle francais un pue.

So I'm volunteering as a reserve judge.

Nameless
2008-02-12, 04:22 AM
I can try to creat some trophies... though I can't really prommis as my art lately has been going down hill... :smallfrown:

Crimmy
2008-02-12, 07:47 PM
Do you like the Iron Avatar Contest?
*snip*

*snip*
If the answer to either of the above is "yes," please quote the appropriate question and then tell me why you're the right person for the job.

Yes, yes, YES!!!!

I have always liked the IA contests.
Even though i've only been in two, i have visited all of the others to see all of the "Challenges", and personally, i can spend my time in either judging and/or making trophies.

Besides, I have +[insert "Infinite" symbol here] in "general knowledge", so if you have any Idea for the IA contests , I'm sure to know at least something about the "Theme".

That is why I think I'm the right one for the job, but of course, that's for you to decide :smalltongue:.

I would love to be considered, of course.

JasonDoomsblade
2008-02-12, 09:03 PM

I like the IA contests. I've entered something for the past 3 contests I believe, though I've never actually won any trophies, but i keep trying because my work keeps getting better.

I can make some trophies. I've gotten pretty good now with Inkscape, and nothing to do in my spare time.

I'd love to be a judge. I have a knack for art altogether, and judging an IA contest would be awesome.

Roland St. Jude
2008-02-12, 11:51 PM
...Yes, I would be interested in being a judge, but could you tell we how much work it is?

Well, it depends on how many entries there are, but you usually have three weeks or so to read through the thread, compare the various avatars and pick a top three in each category. It's probably an hour or so of work once per month, I'd suppose.

Skippy
2008-02-13, 12:01 AM

I am not an artist, nor ever will be, since I seem to have been denied the capabilities to do it. But I'm here frequently and if there's a way in which I can participate in these competitions is only as a judge.

So if you need any help and I can contribute, I'll be honored.

Ichneumon
2008-02-13, 12:29 AM
Well, it depends on how many entries there are, but you usually have three weeks or so to read through the thread, compare the various avatars and pick a top three in each category. It's probably an hour or so of work once per month, I'd suppose.

I see. In that case I am interested in becoming a judge.

About my 1) reliability/dependability; 2) prior involvement with the IA contest; 3) that je ne sais quoi.

First, I am quite a regular poster and visitor of these boards. I have occasionally posted in IA and usually I post in the AC or SMG boards. Also, don't think this help much, but in the past I have judged in these kind of contests on the internet before. I forgot on which board is was, but it was with crafting DnD (3.5) homebrew races. I was one of the judges for a months or 4.:smallsmile:

Szilard
2008-02-13, 07:28 PM
Making tropheys sound like fun...

Lissou
2008-02-14, 08:10 AM
I am volunterring to give French lessons to anyone who wants them. They seem to be needed :P

I think I'll enter most contests, but if I don't feel like entering one, I would like to be a judge.
I wouldn't make good trophies, plaques or awards, though.

1) I come on the forum regularly. The Arts&Crafts section is actually the only one I read anymore. Plus, I'm currently out of a job, which means more free time.
2) I've taken part in a few contests, and I've been paying attention to other entries as well. I'm afraid that's how far my involvement goes.
3) I am not sure what I can bring that is really special, but I'd like to use this opportunity to repeat it: I am volunterring to give you French lessons. Be it only so you can say things like:
Je parle français. Je suis un fromage. J'aime le fromage. Je parle un peu français.
Even though I have no idea why someone said they were cheese.

I'd like to know how the voting goes, though. Does anyone name only their favourite entry in each category? Or is it more like giving your three favourite entries (3 points for the fav one, 2 for second one, 1 for third one) and calculating?
The second case might make it easier for the judges, although the counting would be more complicated. Either way, I find it interesting.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-02-14, 08:13 AM
How long will this be open, the option of volunteering?

banjo1985
2008-02-14, 08:42 AM
Very much so, I enjoyed drawing the entries I put into previous contests.

Would you like to donate some time to help it keep going?
I'd have no problems with devoting a few hours a month to it, even if I don't have the time to draw for it anymore.

Doubt I would have the time unfortunately :smallfrown:

Very. I'm forever guessing who's going to win in the various categories, plus I'm obnoxious enough to have an opinion on almost everything. :smalltongue:

1) reliability/dependability;
I'm here pretty much dailly apart from weekends, and I would not shirk the responsibility if chosen.

2) prior involvement with the IA contest;
I has a bronze trophy and two losing entries. Fear my artistic abilities!

3) that je ne sais quoi.
Well I have been to France a lot...and I'm just awesome. :smalltongue:

Roland St. Jude
2008-02-14, 12:24 PM
How long will this be open, the option of volunteering?

It's been open continuously since I first started this thread. It'll be open, but I imagine the volunteers will taper off after a while like last time. I think I have the help I need for the next few contests at least, but I'll come back to this thread whenever there are vacancies or a need to rotate judges in.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-02-14, 01:25 PM
So, people chosen get notified by PMs?
And ohyeah, a thing I forgot to add :

Prior involvement in IA contests?

I have entries in 3/4 IA contests, but those were all with Ms Paint, now I'm using inkscape.

Roland St. Jude
2008-02-15, 12:25 AM
So, people chosen get notified by PMs?...

Indeed. And they may get notified weeks or months from now as the need arises.

Goats_o_Mjolnir
2008-02-20, 12:44 PM

Yes sir.

1) reliability/dependability

I am on this site at least once a day for 2+ hours

2) prior involvement with the IA contest

Despite Valaint efforts, art is not my specialty, but I do have a love for the arts, and the new and interesting things done here in both OOTS and Erf syle just astound me.

3) that je ne sais quoi

Well, I was president of an Art History club, read more online comics than is probably healthy, and I am just a big enthusiast of online rping, especially on these boards. Also I met Kevin Smith once, that was awesome.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-02-20, 03:29 PM
3) that je ne sais quoi.

Better answer :
1 I have read many, many webcomics,probably more then good for me.

2 Have done some avatars, and some other stuff, I have read Fireworks, Inkscape and the macromedia manuals, I have used Ms Paint, and I currently use Inkscape, so I know what is going on in the submission, what to look for etc.

3 I´m dutch, does that help any?:smalltongue:

Dr. Bath
2008-02-20, 03:43 PM
This is very late, but I couldn't see IA go the way of the dodo. It wouldn't be right.

Since I have entered every single one since I joined (and it's what prompted me to join in the first place) I'd say yes.

Would you like to donate some time to help it keep going?

Yes.

Yes.

Yes. Particularly since it'll stop these rumours of 'Dr. Bath stole the contest' that occasionally pop up.

1) reliability/dependability: Pretty reliable. Especially over long periods of time.

2) prior involvement with the IA contest: Ummm, yes.

3) that je ne sais quoi: How do you expect me to know then?

Roland St. Jude
2008-08-27, 11:25 AM
If anyone has an interest in judging or trophy-making please feel free to say so here (see above). I'm not actively in need of help right now, but you're always welcome to put your name in the hat.

Haleyintraining
2008-08-27, 11:47 AM
I'd like to be a judge because: 1) Yes, I am dependable. 2) I never entered a contest until the Summer Olympics, but I lurked at others. 3) I know what that means and I didn't even use a translator!

Also, I am a very fair person and don't cheat.

I like the Iron Avatarist contests, but I'm a really bad drawer (and I only have paint), but I'd love to still help out.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-08-27, 12:31 PM
If anyone has an interest in judging or trophy-making please feel free to say so here (see above). I'm not actively in need of help right now, but you're always welcome to put your name in the hat.
*steals Roland´s hat*
*puts name and cookie in it*
*gives hat back to Roland*

Qwernt
2008-08-27, 02:14 PM
I LOVE the IA (in case people haven't guessed that based on the sheer number of entries I tend have produced recently). I have been lurking in them since joining (yeah, that long ago). While I love entering, I would be happy to create trophies (which I don't think should preclude entry, would it?) or to judge (which would preclude entry, but maybe I could throw a couple of my ideas out after the contest closed and thus fulfill my creative desires).

I like to think that IA has been healthier due to increased volume (quality may be a different issue ;^). Hopefully we are doing the "go-go gadget spirit of competition" (Nathan) thing, which hopefully gets more people involved.

Official answers:
1) Fairly reliable. Also, regarding trohpy making, more than happy to take comments, etc to improve the quality before release. I even made a trophy for Vorpal Tribble's Monster competition (not to mention work on his banner).
2) Have one stuff, so I have an idea of what winning entries tend to be like (tastes obviously differ).
3) I have a broad range of tastes and interests. while I might miss some of the newer references (yeah, I am part of the 35+ crowd), google usually suffices.

One other comment: We really need a better way to archive IA. As good as the winners thread is, I suspect other people agree with me that it is nice to go back and see all the entries, not just the ones that won. Don't really have a solution for this.
Related comment: When is the winner thread updated?

Crimmy
2008-08-27, 09:49 PM
Well, I'd love to judge, and I'm always available to make trophies.
Not to mention I have already seen/lurked/entered several IA contests.

But of course, it's Roland's decision.