PDA

View Full Version : Character creation system for real-life people

Johnny.JJ
2013-11-27, 08:30 AM
Hi there!

I've been looking for a down-to-earth, realistic character generation system that would allow me to create rule-based approximations of some real people.

What do I mean by realistic? Reflecting the natural and personal limitations of reality around us, being based in psychology, sociology, physiology and stuff.

Samples of bad/good RPG creation systems for real life approximation?
- D&D? Absolutely unfitting! There are no demigods among us.
- Fallout SPECIAL system? Could be, but a bit too cartoony.

... and then, I have to realize that I don't know that many systems. You have any solid suggestions?
//feel free to attach some samples of real people created in the system of your choice to boot

Amnoriath
2013-11-27, 02:18 PM
Hi there!

I've been looking for a down-to-earth, realistic character generation system that would allow me to create rule-based approximations of some real people.

What do I mean by realistic? Reflecting the natural and personal limitations of reality around us, being based in psychology, sociology, physiology and stuff.

... and then, I have to realize that I don't know that many systems. You have any solid suggestions?
//feel free to attach some samples of real people created in the system of your choice to boot
On the person level GURPS I think has alot going for it. However character advancement is quite poor as there are only skills that just get harder to get better at but no subset of options or outside mechanism to compliment skills.

DarkLightHitomi
2013-11-27, 04:36 PM
Actually, if you use the rules, dnd is actually good for realistic, the only caveat is that it doesnt have an upper limit, but that is only a problem when the gm allows highpowered options. Dnd is good for the whole range from normal people to hercules to zeus. In fact many of the rules are scaled to reality under the idea that a level five person is a once in a generation type in reality. Anything above level five is beyond natural human (except the combat dept, but I have never seen a good realistic combat which isnt truly desired anyway) but you may have trouble with who forget or dont unerstand that fact and try to make einstein as a level twenty and then complain about how unrealistic it is.

You should read the Alexandrian's Calibrating Your Expectations, regardless of what system you use that article will help you fi d realistic, or what I call plausable.

asdflove
2013-11-27, 04:49 PM
Hi there!

Now I don't know much about it, but there is D20 modern. (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/modern/smack/srdhome.html)

Jlerpy
2013-11-27, 05:08 PM
On the person level GURPS I think has alot going for it. However character advancement is quite poor as there are only skills that just get harder to get better at but no subset of options or outside mechanism to compliment skills.

What kind of additional mechanisms are you looking for?

Soris Atham
2013-11-27, 08:15 PM
I would aim for the GURPS system and start the characters off at 40 points.

Most real people aren't going to have high stats. (10s and 11s) As the characters progress, keep the same stats, but reward them by adding a Patron or similar advantage.

As for combat, assign permanent injuries (missing finger, bad limp, etc.) to reflect a real-world environment.

Dracomortis
2013-11-27, 09:09 PM
World of Darkness comes to mind, assuming you stick to mortals and don't use any of the supernatural subsystems like Mage or Vampire.

erikun
2013-11-27, 09:40 PM
Hi there!

Do you mean mechanics derived from real world values? Do you mean that the numbers and results are within the frame of reference of a normal person? Do you mean realistic as in the capabilities of characters should be within the realm of human feasability, or realistic as in the capabilities of a character should remain close to the average abilities of a human?

When you mean character creation, do you mean that the characters created should be realistic? Do you mean that there should be some method of generating characters that produces realistic results?

I'm not terribly sure of how much realism you'll find in RPGs. I've heard of a few, but don't have much personal experience in the specific systems. Please note this as you read my suggestions.

For character generation, Traveller, Burning Wheel, and some versions of Fate have what is called a "Lifepath" system of character creation. That is, you choose (or in Traveller, can randomly roll) to determine how a character starts their life, and that then determines what skills they first acquire. Then you move onto their second lifepath, which again determines skills available, and so on until the character is complete.

As for systems that keep the character's stats within the realm of possibility, I understand that RuneQuest does a good job with modeling weapons, damage to body parts, and just overall low "HP". I've found that the base World of Darkness game is actually pretty good for keeping what is possible, even with max stats, somewhat within reason. I've heard good things about Traveller (Mongoose edition) with regards to characters, and you can generally limit most generic systems, such as Fate, to only allowing reasonable results.

Ashtagon
2013-11-28, 04:02 AM
Actually, if you use the rules, dnd is actually good for realistic, the only caveat is that it doesnt have an upper limit, but that is only a problem when the gm allows highpowered options. Dnd is good for the whole range from normal people to hercules to zeus. In fact many of the rules are scaled to reality under the idea that a level five person is a once in a generation type in reality. Anything above level five is beyond natural human (except the combat dept, but I have never seen a good realistic combat which isnt truly desired anyway) but you may have trouble with who forget or dont unerstand that fact and try to make einstein as a level twenty and then complain about how unrealistic it is.

You should read the Alexandrian's Calibrating Your Expectations, regardless of what system you use that article will help you fi d realistic, or what I call plausable.

Aside from...

A level 1 character can routinely break Olympic long jump records

A level 5 character can't even approach the number of shots per round that a real world high-end archer can achieve (nor can a level 20 character actually).

Grinner
2013-11-28, 09:52 AM
I can think of a few systems, but I think it ultimately depends on what sort of "resolution" should the character be measured at? How fine do the mechanics need to be? Do you want to simulate a person at conceptual level? Down to his genetics? Down to every single subatomic particle comprising his body*? How much abstraction are you willing to accept?

One that sticks out is GURPS, which has a bunch of psychological traits you can tack on to the character.

Another is Unknown Armies, which has a very good mechanic for modelling a descent into madness or inundation to it. Each character also has an Obsession skill, something they're very good at or knowledgable about. Unfortunately, these mechanics are meant to provide pacing for the character's personal narrative, not plop down a psychopath right out of character creation.

*Not that I know of one like this. In fact, they all pretty much stick to the conceptual level.

Berenger
2013-11-28, 03:38 PM
Now I don't know much about it, but there is D20 modern. (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/modern/smack/srdhome.html)

I second this. D20 is more on the "action movie" and less on the "gritty reality" side of things, but you can perfectly represent anything from an avergage high school student to John McClane. It also has a flatter power curve than D&D while sharing its basic mechanics. You'll want to get rid of their brawling rules and stick to those of D&D, but thats my only major complaint.

DarkLightHitomi
2013-12-06, 03:51 AM
Aside from...

A level 1 character can routinely break Olympic long jump records

A level 5 character can't even approach the number of shots per round that a real world high-end archer can achieve (nor can a level 20 character actually).

First, I said that no system models combat realistically (trust me you dont want that anyway)

Second, I should have specified 3.0. But even in 3.5 a first level cannot beat olympics unless the gm grants significant power levels higher then in the book. 10-11 is average for a stat in RAW, but the average for PCs seems to be climbing into the high teens to twenties. Those are two seperate issues and shouldn't be confused with each other.

Also, the GM is supposed to dole out and limit access to spells and magic items, but that seems to have become very much hated by players nowadays. So that skews player experience some.

As I said read the Alexandrian.